Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. The End is Nigh  (Read 23707 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. 50-40 Revealed
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »
Nope. Posting the next 10 in June

That would still be a faster rate than the Breaking Bad list.

This is true. I'm going to finish it sooner or later. Hell, you had to wait forever for the 2nd part of season 5 to be released, and now you gotta wait forever for the 2nd part of my list.  :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. 50-40 Revealed (Coldplay? LOLOLOL)
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 09:39:32 PM »
Do y'all want me to post more? I really got nothing going on.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 09:41:25 PM »
Do y'all want me to post more? I really got nothing going on.

:corn .............. :metal

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 09:41:45 PM »
Sure..............it's so much easier to follow and maintain interest in a list with regular updates.  Go for it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »
#39. Lonesome Dreams - Lord Huron (2012)

I just heard this album maybe 2 weeks ago, and it has already found its place on my Top 50 list. Might be a bit quick to judge, but I really enjoyed this album, and gave it several spins. I was searching on Sputnik and found this, and I don't think there's a thread here for it. Another really happy, almost dreamy album; It's one of those albums you can just put on headphones and drift off. That's what I did and it was quite a wonderful experience. Not sure if anyone else has heard this, but it's a really solid album. Something you really have to be in the mood for, but it's some of the most beautiful music I've heard in a long time.

Favorite Track: The Ghost On The Shore

#38. Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends - Coldplay (2008)

Yeah yeah, I get it. This band sucks major donkey dong. Well, this is the last you're gonna see of them :lol This album is easily my favorite Coldplay album (is that really saying anything?). Of course it is. This album is haunting in a very gorgeous way. I probably can't explain why I like this band, but I guess I don't need to. This is a band I can listen to , and it really helps clear my mind, and positive thoughts start rushing through my head. The final track is simply amazing, and it never fails to give me chills. Every time. Gah lee. I can just see you all with face palming as you read this. Anyhooooooooooooo, See ya Coldplay.

Favorite Track: Death and All His Friends

#37. Flying Colors - Flying Colors (2012)

As soon as I saw this "supergroup" of Portnoy, Steve, Neal, and others, I knew I had to get this. It really intrigued me because it wasn't a prog rock project, like I thought. It turned out it was basically a rock/pop kinda project, which was cool and new to my ears, especially from these guys. I spun this album countless times as soon as I got it, and it was in heavy rotation for months. Great musicianship on this album, and Casey is just an outstanding vocalist. I really wanna see these guys live, because I'm sure they can put on a great show. One thing on this album that makes me laugh is the end of Shoulda Coulda Woulda, it's like Portnoy forgot he wasn't playing drums on Train of Thought. Very fun album, and I had to have it in my top 50.

Favorite Track: Everything Changes

#36. Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? - Megadeth (1986)

Talk about some of the best metal in existence: classic Megadeth. Megadeth was the first heavy metal band I got into, and I still listen to them to this day, especially their older material. I've always thought they were light years ahead of Metallica. It took me a bit to get used to Mustaine's vocals, but I've really come to appreciate them, as they come off very angry and emotional. Megadeth's songs are basically extreme riff-fests, and they've come up with some really brilliant guitar parts that'll make your head spin. Megadeth was a gateway band for me, but that doesn't mean they leave my rotation. They are always a fun listen, and they never seem to get old.  :metal

Favorite Track: Good Mourning/Black Friday

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. #36! FLYING through this, yes?
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 10:27:33 PM »
Nice and diverse (unlike my taste  :D  ) - I really only know Megadeth and Flying Colors...............both good albums  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »
I really should ask this for every list, or people should just start divulging it when they start.  How many albums do you own/know enough to consider for your list?  Being the science guy, I need to know the sample size to properly known when to praise and harang you.

And you'll get no flack from me for Coldplay because I don't think I've ever heard one of their songs  :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 12:20:45 AM »
I really should ask this for every list, or people should just start divulging it when they start.  How many albums do you own/know enough to consider for your list?  Being the science guy, I need to know the sample size to properly known when to praise and harang you.

And you'll get no flack from me for Coldplay because I don't think I've ever heard one of their songs  :lol

I own about 205 or so albums. So I don't have a huge collection, but it's a start I guess

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 12:21:17 AM »
Goddamnit, Mace! Join the lynch mob or GTFO!!!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 12:46:22 AM »
Goddamnit, Mace! Join the lynch mob or GTFO!!!

:lol

In all seriousness though, there was a time that I really enjoyed the Viva la Vida… album too.

and then I grew up  :-*
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 12:47:27 AM »
I'm about to beat your ass

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 12:51:19 AM »
On the bright side, I do really enjoy FC and some of that Megadeth.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
In all seriousness though, there was a time that I really enjoyed the Viva la Vida… album too.

Dude, I love Satriani. No need to be shy.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 02:10:53 AM »
Nice, diverse list! Thanks for the shout out too for Tremonti  :metal

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 03:19:54 AM »
Awww Yeah, Viva la Vida!  :tup
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 04:56:43 AM »
that was a great point by Doc above.  When one only has 200 albums, that means 25% of the collection HAS to make the list.  So, in essence we can't fault you too much for including Coldplay (twice), as you just haven't explored enough.  We can fault you for how/where you rank them.   :D

Flying Colors is a great album... but only the 2nd best album from 2012 that featured Neal Morse and a former DT member.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 08:31:54 AM »
Yeah this is really just a preliminary list to really get my feet set, and as time goes on, maybe a year or two from now, I'll make another one. And I'm sure it would be a lot different than it is now. That's why I was a bit hesitant in starting a top 50 because I didn't really feel "ready".

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »
Ready or not, it's fun and I'm glad you're doing it.

At the very least, you'll be able to look back at it down the road, smile to yourself, and secretly agree with past me for making fun of past you for including Mylo Xyloto. 

• DT.net Member
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2014, 08:10:04 PM »
Actually, I think Mylo Xyloto is the best album ever recorded. Let me move it to number 1. :)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
I thought you'd be in the 20's by now. What gives?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2014, 10:01:33 PM »
That's ol' lackadaisical Luke for ya  :\

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. Oh god, another awful update!
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2014, 11:28:34 PM »
#35. Vena Sera - Chevelle (2007)

Chevelle was one of the first rock bands I got into, and I still listen to them here and there. Vena Sera is an incredible display of Chevelle's best stuff. Chevelle often gets hate because they tend to follow the same formula on every album, resulting in a common sound. While this is true, I feel Chevelle really hit the spot with this one, and I don't think they'll ever replicate something as good as this again. If you like good rock music that can really create some beautiful songs, like Saferwaters, this is an album to check out.

Favorite Track: Well Enough Alone

#34. The Social Network OST - Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross (2010)

The only movie score to appear on this list, and it's a damn good one. If you're not much of a Nine Inch Nails fan, you're most likely not gonna like this album. It's got a NIN vibe to it (duh), but all of it is instrumental, and it's one of the most haunting scores I've ever heard. The movie itself was pretty good, but the best part is definitely the soundtrack. There's a good selection of tracks on here, and it's a nice mind bending journey. If you don't care to see the film, I still highly recommend the soundtrack.

Favorite Track: Intriguing Possibilities

#33. Welcome to My DNA - Blackfield (2011)

I don't care what people say about this album, I find it magnificent. Blackfield is one of my favorite bands, and I feel Geffin does not get the credit he deserves. Steven Wilson does his fair share on this album with some great tracks like Waving, Glass House, and Far Away. For some reason, this album isn't received well, especially on here. I know people say "Go To Hell" is a laughably awful track, but it has grown on me. Yeah, the lyrics are still silly, but the music is great. Blackfield doesn't necessarily give off positive vibes, but it does hit home in a lot of songs. Aviv is a great vocalist, and his work with Steven Wilson is truly great.

Favorite Track: DNA

Offline senecadawg2

Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. Another update?
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2014, 11:34:43 PM »
I haven't heard any of these. Interesting update anyways. I still need to expand my Blackfield listening beyond II

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
I'm 0-for on that update. One of us fails.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »
It's probably me

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2014, 09:55:02 PM »
The Social Network soundtrack is amazing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2014, 07:58:03 PM »
I'll post another few soon!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »
 :biggrin:

Sorry for the short delay, It's time for finals, so I've been busy.

#32. Moving Pictures - Rush (1981)

Rush has never been one of my favorite bands, but I do like them a lot. Moving Pictures, to me, is their greatest work, because every song on it is pure genius. I still have not heard all of Rush's albums, but maybe this will change one day. They have created a lot of great music, so there's a lot to listen to. Peart's drum work on this album is some of the best you'll ever hear. Not much I can say about this one since everyone has heard this, but yah.

Favorite Track: The Camera Eye

#31. Office of Strategic Influence - OSI (2003)

Man, I absolutely love this band and how unique they are. It's hard to find another band that sounds quite like OSI (Excluding Chroma Key). When I first heard Kevin Moore was doing vocals for this band, I was like "WHaa?" But they fit so perfect with the atmospheric rock/metal sound. If I were to describe OSI, it'd be very hard, so it's best just to listen for yourself. Once again, though, I'm sure everyone has heard this. Oh, and I find a really similar vibe with ShutDOWN and Hex Omega by Opeth.

Favorite Track: ShutDOWN

#30. Lizard - King Crimson (1970)

King Crimson is incredible at what they do, having that aggressive prog rock sound. This album is nearly perfect, and the laughing at the end of Indoor Games is really one of the highlights. This album's mood is dark, and nearly psychotic. It's not a very long album, and there aren't many tracks...but it does have King Crimson's longest song IIRC. The title-track is one of the best songs I have ever heard, and having Jon Anderson doing guest vocals really makes the song even better. I know my list has had a lot more modern stuff on it, but I think down the road when I make another list, it will have more classics like this.

Favorite Track: Lizard

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
I prefer ITCOTCK and Red, but that's okay.

Moving Pictures is hard to argue with. Not my favorite Rush album, nor top 3, but that's less to do with how much I like MP and more to do with how much I like Farewell to Kings, 2112, and Hemispheres.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »
Moving Pictures is just ....... epic! Not a bad, or even mediocre song on the album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
Moving Pictures is just ....... epic! Not a bad, or even mediocre song on the album.

...but Vital Signs...  :biggrin: hated that song for years but I can at least tolerate it now.

A great album though.
OSI never clicked at all with me.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »
Don't know that Crimson album from my own asshole but I like everything I've heard from them so I assume it's good. Rush and OSI tickle my pickle quite well though.