Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. The End is Nigh  (Read 23823 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. The End is Nigh
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:42:10 AM »
Now I know some of you followed my Top 20 Breaking Bad Episodes thread, and noticed I got about halfway. So I'm probably infamous for not finishing what I start, but I damn guarantee you all I will finish this AND (for those interested) The Breaking Bad thread. It's kinda like when I watch a show and I take a break for two days and I just never get back on it, because I'm lazy and forgetful. Anyway, I've been wanting to make a Top 50 albums list for a while. This will be my first one, so it's highly doubtful that there is stuff on here that you guys haven't heard. I haven't really explored the musical mountain so much, so when I look at lists like Zantera's and others, it really makes me feel like I haven't listened to anything at all :lol But here goes nothing.

I limited this Top 50 to 2 albums AT MOST, per artist/band. So unfortunately, my top 12 albums are not going to be all DT. Sad, I know. But to be more clear, If I wanted to have 2 albums by DT, and 2 by LTE, that's accepted. I'm just trying to put as much variety in here as I can. I will post my first 3 albums in just a little bit, so stay tuned. I hope you guys enjoy! :tup
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:50:58 AM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. Maybe I'll finish a list for once
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 09:54:59 AM »
Following and shit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
What jingle.boy said and shit.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »
Following, no shit.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 10:25:30 AM »
I'm watching you.

Don't fuck it up!!!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 11:07:10 AM »
Let's get going.

#50. All I Was - Tremonti (2012)

Years ago, my brother showed me the band Alter Bridge and he went on praising how great of a guitarist Mark Tremonti was. So I checked them out, and I loved it. As soon as I heard he was releasing this solo album, I bought it immediately. Mark Tremonti is definitely one of my favorite rock/metal guitarists out there today, and shout out to Accelerando, because I know he is a die hard Tremonti fan. This album is pure aggression, as heavy and fast riffs are just thrown in your face right from the beginning. His vocals are also a nice fit to the heaviness. This record surely displays the amount of talent and musicianship Mark beholds. It's nothing over the top or fancy, but it still delivers that same punch every time I listen to it.

Favorite Track: Doesn't Matter

#49. Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan (1983)

Speaking of great guitarists... MAN! SRV is certainly one of the greatest of all time. Blues Rock may not be for everyone, but you cannot deny how great of a musician Vaughan is. Texas Flood is probably the greatest blues rock albums of all time. While I'm not too familiar with this genre, I'd love to keep delving deeper into it. His playing on here is phenomenal, and there's no other guitarist like him. Some of the songs are really laid back, such as the title track and Dirty Pool, and some are just insane, such as Rude Mood. Rude Mood has got to be one of the most complex guitar performances I've ever heard. It's a shame Stevie is gone, because the world lost such a talented musician. RIP :metal

Favorite Track: Texas Flood

#48. Epicloud - Devin Townsend Project (2012)

I have just recently gotten into Devin's music, and I can't believe I've waited so long. I was a bit skeptical for a while because I guess I didn't quite understand him, and how he can add so much goofiness to his music. Well, I still need to hear more Devin, but this album has definitely been a fun listen. All the songs are catchy, and it only took one listen for this album hook and reel me in. It's a really loud album, and it's almost like a giant wall of sound. It somehow really fits though with his style of music, and I quite like the production. Lucky Animals is certainly annoying, in a good way of course :lol What amazes me about Devin is how diverse his music can be. Some of it is really emotional, and some really just wants to make you laugh. Epicloud is definitely an amazing journey, that I'm pretty sure everyone here has already heard. :lol I'm just late to the party, but better late then never, right?

Favorite Track: Where We Belong

Please excuse my write ups. I'm doing them as I post. I can't really write them ahead of time because I just write better as I'm doing. These write-ups are not going to be very long, and they may seem disjointed. So sorry about that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:12:36 AM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 11:20:40 AM »
I've always thought SRV looked like an ape on that album cover because his hand and nose are so big, his skin is kind of dark, and his sideburns.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »
Whilst I can't say anything about Tremonti because I have no idea who or what he is, the other two are a fine pick to start off a top 50 list!
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
Loving you is divine, but reading your list is even better.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »
I might go ahead and post 2-3 more tonight. I'm gonna keep this relatively quick, I don't like suspense.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »
Following .........regular updates are always good  :tup

Good to see SRV get a mention - not a big follower of Devin or Tremonti but always happy to give them another go.  I remember buying Steve Vai's Sex and Religion when Devin was plucked out of relative obscurity ......showing my age  :\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »
Stevie Ray baby!   :hat  I'll be following.....and I'm next, and shit....

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. #50-45
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 12:45:49 AM »
Here are two more!

#47. Animals As Leaders - Animals As Leaders (2009)

Animals As Leaders is quite an interesting project, and Tosin Abasi is an incredibly talented guitarist. What's cool is I live an hour away from Atlanta, and I recently found out that Abasi went to school at the Atlanta Institute of Music. I was actually really interested in going there, but I changed my mind, and well I didn't even try applying :lol This band is instrumental, and that's probably for the best, because I feel the guitar does all the talking. I'm not much of a guitar guru because I'm only a drummer but I think Tosin uses an 8 string guitar on here, allowing a wide variety of tones. The playing is technical, and it's pretty heavy, making it an awesome and fun listen. It's one of those albums I really have to be in a mood for, but when I am, wow, it's amazing.

Favorite Track: On Impulse

#46. I Get Wet - Andrew W.K. (2001)

When I was maybe 10 years old, my brother showed me this album. At the time, it was really funny to me, and it just seemed like a silly album. Well 9 years later, I still think it is. The best thing about this album is the presence of high energy. Andrew W.K. is an eccentric dude, and I've only heard this album of his, but this guy sure can rock. It's simple, straightforward hard rock, with some vocal melodies that are just plain fun to sing along to. The lyrics, strangely enough, are somewhat relatable. I feel down the road, this might be one of those real nostalgic albums for me. The song writing isn't like your average Pink Floyd, but this is one of the must fun albums I've ever heard, and it never fails to put me in an amazing mood. That's why it deserves a spot on this list.

Favorite Track: She Is Beautiful

Offline senecadawg2

Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. 50-46 Revealed
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 08:28:53 AM »
Did I ever tell you that I saw AAL live? Pretty impressive stuff. Though, looking back, I don't know why they were opening for Thrice  :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. 50-44 Revealed
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »
#45. Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay (2011)

One thing you'll notice about my Top 50 is that it's a bit varied. You might all of heard of the 50 albums I post, but as far as genres go, they vary quite nicely, I think. This one comes off as a guilty pleasure but I think not. I'm not ashamed to admit that I have a really great liking for this band's newer material. I've heard such bad reviews of this album, and I cannot understand why. This album is one of the most upbeat albums I own, and it really gives off a lot of positive energy, like Andrew W.K., but not like Andrew W.K. There are some miraculous songs on this record, one which includes a nice guest performance from Rihanna. I listened to this album quite a bit junior year of high school, and it brings back so many memories every time I hear it. This one might create a few laughs, but I don't care. The album definitely holds a place in my heart.

Favorite Track: Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

#44. Machine Head - Deep Purple (1972)

Definitely one of the best classic rock albums I've ever heard. Deep Purple is popular, but I always feel like they've been overshadowed to some of the bands like Floyd, The Who, and Led Zep. The guitar playing in this album is stellar, but I really really love the drumming, and the keys. Well, I guess I love it all. It's fairly short, being only 7 songs, but all of them have their own identity, and of course, one of them is Smoke on the Water. Gillan's vocals on this album are top notch, and he definitely shows his presence in all of these songs. It really sounds like they had a lot of fun recording this album, and that's what music should be about. Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't found many Top 50 lists on here that have included this album. I feel it's a bit underrated, 'cause it's surely a classic. :metal

Favorite Track: Pictures Of Home

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »
Yeah.............Machine Head is a classic -  (putting on my best Borat voice) -  Coldplay..........not so much  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 11:28:20 AM »
^Correct. Listen to better music, Luke.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
 :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 12:16:01 PM »
Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't found many Top 50 lists on here that have included this album. I feel it's a bit underrated, 'cause it's surely a classic. :metal

not only is this the first mention of Machine Head, but this is the first Deep Purple album to make a current top 50 list (Scorpion had Made in Japan in his v1, but it was removed in his revised list).
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 12:22:57 PM »
Awesome ! :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »
^Correct. Listen to better music, Luke.

This.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 02:37:10 PM »
So mostly negative responses, awesome :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 02:40:36 PM »
Not really... we're just giving the gears to Coldplay.  What's coming next ... Nickleback?  :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 02:41:25 PM »
Yes. One second :tup

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
#43. Impermanent Resonance - James LaBrie (2013)

I had only heard very little of James LaBrie's solo work when I bought this album, but I definitely made a wise purchase. Seneca influenced me to buy this, so props to him. Every song on this album has a catchy chorus, making it very memorable. LaBrie has his fans, and his haters. I've always enjoyed his vocals with Dream Theater, and it's nice hearing them in a different musical environment such as this. Instead of longer progressive metal, it's more just straight-forward metal. Someone mentioned there were some cheesy moments on this album, which is probably true, because that's just James LaBrie. It's a wild ride listening to this, and I always catch myself singing along to all the tracks. The drumming by Wildoer is the perfect amount of aggression and precision, too.

Favorite Track: Holding On

#42. Black Holes and Revelations - Muse (2006)

One of the first albums I bought and really got into. Muse has always been such a fun band to listen to, and this is definitely my favorite album by them. All the songs are wonderful, with the exception of Supermassive Black Hole. My favorite thing about Muse has always been the vocals. Matthew Bellamy is incredibly talented at what he does, and he's among my favorite singers. This album fuses styles such as electronic and hard rock. This album is a must-listen!

Favorite Track: Map of the Problematique

#41. Blak and Blu - Gary Clark, Jr. (2012)

One of the most diverse albums I have ever heard. This album contains several elements of blues, rock, R&B, pop, and even a little country. I recently discovered Gary Clark, Jr., and this is his first and only album. I'm not sure if he plans to continue a solo career or play with others, but he is one of a kind. Some of his playing really reminds me of a new-age Stevie Ray Vaughan, in songs like "Numb" and "When My Train Pulls In". I've heard mixed reviews on this album, with the bad ones discussing how it's not cohesive, and it's really jumbled. I look at it as him just showcasing his range as far as his musicality goes, and maybe in future work, he'll focus on a certain area of playing. Gary Clark, Jr. makes this album easily accessible by the wide variety of song styles, so it's not exactly a hard album to get into.

Favorite Track: Numb

#40. Boston - Boston (1976)

Quite possibly the greatest rock album of all time. Boston never did put out a whole lot of music, but this album is the definition of a masterpiece, and I feel bad for not putting it higher. Everything about this album is perfect, and it's got a certain magic to it that not many others have. There's really not much else i can say about this album besides that it is glorious in every way. Maybe my version 2.0 list will have it higher. IT'S BEEN SUCH A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG TIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMME.

Favorite Track: Foreplay/Long Time

• DT.net Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. 50-40 Revealed
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
Bahhhhstin :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »
You should definitely feel bad for not having Boston's debut higher  :D.  I had it mid-teens iirc.  But, I'll give you a :tup for including in none-the-less.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »
Someone mentioned there were some cheesy moments on this album, which is probably true, because that's just James LaBrie.

I see what you did there.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »
You should definitely feel bad for not having Boston's debut higher  :D.  I had it mid-teens iirc.  But, I'll give you a :tup for including in none-the-less.

Then I'm gonna get a thumbs down for what comes after it :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »
Boston.....  what an epic debut.  Back in the day as a kid I really loved the cover too.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »
Woah, are you on a mission to finish this list by the end of the week?

Anyhow…

I just took a shit. The noise of my turds hitting the water sounded better than Mylo Xyloto

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »
Nope. Posting the next 10 in June

• DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 07:29:13 PM »
Woah, are you on a mission to finish this list by the end of the week?

Anyhow…

I just took a shit. The noise of my turds hitting the water sounded better than Mylo Xyloto

:rollin

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »
#43. Impermanent Resonance - James LaBrie (2013)
:metal

Favorite Track: Holding On
:2metal:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
Nope. Posting the next 10 in June

That would still be a faster rate than the Breaking Bad list.