Author Topic: Web's Rookie Roulette! *FINAL Results!*  (Read 35404 times)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Web's Rookie Roulette! *Rd.5 Results*
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2014, 09:37:41 PM »
LOL... everyone is in. Ulti sent a selection through youtube but the video was taken down due to copyright issues and I have the band name but no song title  ??? HELP ULTI!!!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2014, 10:09:48 PM »
Always Ulti....
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2014, 05:44:15 AM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »
SHIIIIIIT

I sent the name of the band by PM. This round has been full of silly bullshit.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2014, 06:27:53 PM »
I have the band name but no song title  ??? HELP ULTI!!!

I sent the name of the band by PM. This round has been full of silly bullshit.

Someone's not paying attention
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2014, 06:14:56 AM »
No worries. I misread that but sent both.

I think....
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2014, 07:49:23 AM »
No worries. I misread that but sent both.

I think....

Yup, I got it and everyone is good to go. Scores and results coming ASAP.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »
Thoroughly apologize. I think it comes with running one of these things... my computer crashed today and has delayed me a tad :tdwn but I'll be right back to it!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
no problem.  Take your time as far as I'm concerned.  I'm vacationing in the Florida Keys this week and will be at a slight disadvantage for the next round or so since I don't have my music library with me.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2014, 08:53:52 PM »
no problem.  Take your time as far as I'm concerned.  I'm vacationing in the Florida Keys this week and will be at a slight disadvantage for the next round or so since I don't have my music library with me.

Ditto... except for the vacation part.  Work for me.

Offline WebRaider

Re: Web's Rookie Roulette! *Rd.6 Results*
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »
Round 6: Free Round

Sorry for the delays this week. Knew I'd be a little behind with Mother's Day festivities but then my computer crapped out on me for a couple days. Got things back rolling for the time being (crossing fingers).

Nekov

Pure Reason Revolution - The Twyncyn / Trembling Willows (8.0)

This song is really interesting. Have heard the band name before but never listened to anything from the group before. Like the building and kind of psychedelic elements early and then it breaks into the groove riff. The vocals don't really stand out a whole lot above the music but it doesn't have to.

senecadawg2

Ne Obliviscaris - Forget Not (9.0)

Stellar, beautiful intro. Just breath-taking IMO. The music throughout is so phenomenal here! This is freaking amazing. Beautiful but beastly... melodic but freaking roars! Clean vocals, growls to the back and used to emphasize. LOVE IT!

jingle.boy

Epysode - March of the Ghosts (7.5)

Certainly like the music and the almost symphonic type sound with the keys. The vocals were mostly nice throughout and the guitar solo was quality. My only real issue was it sounded a little disjointed and almost too crowded vocally?

Evermind

Intervals - The Self Surrendered (7.0)

Obviously I'm a big fan of "Djent" and bands of that nature. I've heard of Intervals before but not actually heard their music before. I enjoy the song, the music and guitars and the vocals were not bad at all. Liked when the music quieted, vocals came back in and built back up and the choral part at the end was very cool but the vocals were a little bland for me and the music was pretty much by the book djent (not a bad thing but as I said I listen to a lot of it so I prefer it to stand out a little). The end of the song was quite nice as it added something a little different.

Ultimetalhead

Dog Fashion Disco - The Hitchhiker (7.0)

I believe I've heard one tune by the band before and their unique style. I really enjoy the off-beat approach of the song. Nice groove underneath the vocal through the first part of the song. Cool elevator music breakdown :p . It was interesting, but doesn't really grab me considering the uncommon path they take. Little more passion in the song might have given me a different feeling.

Big Hath

Nightingale - Scarred For life (6.5)

Music really sounds big with the keys behind. I like the singers voice but it sounds slightly stale. Honestly it's like the song was out of a commercial. Not a bad song, It's just too safe. I keep wanting the song to not be so restrained.

Dr. DTVT

Effloresce - Zorya's Dawn (6.5)

Prefer the singer when she's not singing almost operatic. I think I've heard that style too much (maybe it's Evanescence?). The female growls are kind of cool. The music was quite good if not a little drawn out.

lonestar

Thoughts Factory - No Way Out (7.0)

Musically show off their influences like Dream Theater and company. The vocalist has a unique (to me) sound in his voice which is a positive. Neat harmony vocal parts but I don't like the spoken section here (little jarring). Some jamming riffs and like the keys.

Current standings after round 6:

1.Big Hath: (8.0) + (8.0) + (6.5) = 22.5
2.Nekov: (6.5) + (8.0) + (8.0) = 22.5
3.lonestar: (6.0) + (9.0) + (7.0) = 22
4.senecadawg2: (5.5) + (7.5) + (9.0) = 22
5.Ulitmetalhead: (7.5) + (7.5) + (7.0) = 22
6.jingle.boy: (7.0) + (7.0) + (7.5) = 21.5
=============
7.Evermind: (6.5) + (7.5) + (7.0) = 21
8.Dr. DTVT: (6.5) + (7.5) + (6.5) = 20.5

With this round's conclusion we have to say goodbye to two more participants. It was an exceptionally tight competition through this set (as I assumed it would be) with some great song choices by pretty much everyone. As you can see the scores were only 2 total points different from top to bottom overall, although I'm not sure that's much to console the eliminated parties.Thanks so much to Evermind and Dr. DTVT for participating and sending some awesome musical selections! :tup

With the last elimination round complete we move to the finals and scores reset so come out swinging hard fella's!

Round 7 is one more time in the 60's-80's! Find me some good stuff I missed from back when!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2014, 12:43:10 AM »
That was nice while it lasted, thanks for letting me participate. I was counting on at least 7,5 though, this song is good.

Also nice comeback with Ne Obliviscaris :P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »
Wow, that was pretty damn close. I for one enjoy the vocals very much but to each his own. Now a long look for something to send though I know this is the weak round for me.

Chad you lucky bastard, I was preparing a nice pic to mock you but it looks like that will have to wait for now...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2014, 07:52:30 AM »
Also nice comeback with Ne Obliviscaris :P

thanks! I honestly thought that I was going to be eliminated. I sent one of the most potent songs in my arsenal because I didn't have a choice, normally I would have liked to save that one until later (especially since the sores reset). I'm glad that it panned out.

Now back to the 60s-80s- same old spot that got me into that hole to begin with.  :-\ I'll send shortly.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »
Wow, that was pretty damn close. I for one enjoy the vocals very much but to each his own. Now a long look for something to send though I know this is the weak round for me.

Chad you lucky bastard, I was preparing a nice pic to mock you but it looks like that will have to wait for now...

I liked the vocals too! I meant more in the production of the song, it seemed they were set back a little and the music stood out more for me.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
Noted  :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »
I'm probably going to be out of town a bit the next few weeks, so that was a good time for me to get axed.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »
Alright. Will try to send momentarily but if not I'll get to it tomorrow I swear please don't hurt me.  :(

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2014, 12:42:44 AM »
Made it just by the hair of my chinny chin chin!

I've lulled you all into a false sense of security with my last place finishes. Now, you're all playing for second place, bitches!

I sent on Sunday before I left.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2014, 05:02:54 AM »
Sent

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »
Round 7 sent
Winger would be better!

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
All contestants have sent in selections for this round...Listening will commence tomorrow! :yarr

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2014, 04:49:41 AM »
:bump:

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
Scores and results tomorrow :D :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »
honestly can't remember what I sent.  I hope it was good!
Winger would be better!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »
honestly can't remember what I sent.  I hope it was good!

You sent it, so of course it was!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2014, 10:01:18 PM »
well, I seem to remember sending it late one night on our vacation.  After a day of baking in the sun on the beach.  And I'm sure I had a fruity cocktail or several that night.  There's no telling what I sent.
Winger would be better!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2014, 07:40:22 AM »
Scores and results tomorrow :D :tup

Cool, I thought your computer might have died on you again

Offline WebRaider

Re: Web's Rookie Roulette! *Rd.7 Results*
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »
Round 7: 60's-80's

jingle.boy

Max Webster - Battle Scar (8.5)

Hehe, kind of cheating here with the Rush combo song (jk). Man this is a nice, nice powerful grooving song. I never was aware of this tune or the grouping for this album. I'm not sure it will help me find a new artist to get into but it definitely scores as a song with me. Good selection!

senecadawg2

The Cure - Pictures of You (7.0)

I've heard songs from The Cure before and it's not really my favorite style. Given that I wasn't sure what I'd get from this song. I like the musical melody through the whole song. It's got a simple but magical quality about it. The vocals weren't as dramatic as I remember some of the songs I've heard from the band. 

lonestar

Montrose - Space Station #5 (7.5)

I've meant to listen to some of the music from this band for a long time and glad to have it sent as an submission. Interesting intro before a roaring, rocking band entrance. Lots of straight up 70's hard rock here but theres some other elements that give it a bit more depth. I like some of Hagar's work through the years but I imagine if he could have held it together with this band, they would have done some more great music down the line.

Nekov

Eloy - The midnight flight/The Victory of mental force (6.5)

Dig the really heavy 70's prog sound. The vocals definitely would have to grow on me some over time but it fits the music. For the song to be eight minutes long it really moves. The dry sounding mix of the song is kind of cool (very 70's). 

Big Hath

Pentagram - Sign of the Wolf (6.5)

I'm not a huge fan of the production here and the vocals in this song feel a little flat but I get thats the style.The riffs are nice and I can hear the influence that this band may have had on numerous metal bands throughout the 80's and 90's.

Ulitmetalhead

Frank Zappa - Peaches En Regalia (8.0)

The limited songs I have heard from Zappa have been quite interesting and marvelous. Honestly there are some songs I just have a hard time getting past some of the cheesiness but I think most realize his musical genius. Having not really heard this song before I was curious as to what path he would take as you can never be sure with Frank... Another song that it's almost hard to believe was released in the 60's. I know it's '69 but it sounds and feels so ahead of it's time for that era. Really nice instrumental effort from Zappa and his crew.

Current standings after round 7:

1.jingle.boy: (8.5)
2.Ulitmetalhead: (8.0)
3.lonestar: (7.5)
4.senecadawg2: (7.0)
5.Big Hath: (6.5)
6.Nekov: (6.5)

Round 8 will once more cover the 90's - through today and last known themed round before the MYSTERY ROUNDS...(cue mysterious music)...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
I've lulled you all into a false sense of security with my last place finishes. Now, you're all playing for second place, bitches!

Phase 1 of  4 complete.

Flying home tonight - yay red-eye! Will send tomorrow or Friday. Pretty sure I know what it's gonna be.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »
can you at least tell us if the mystery rounds are multi-song/album rounds or not? Would definitely affect what I send this round.
Winger would be better!

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2014, 10:41:58 PM »
can you at least tell us if the mystery rounds are multi-song/album rounds or not? Would definitely affect what I send this round.

*SPOILER*  Yep they will be...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »
Sent yo...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2014, 04:39:21 AM »
Damn, I can do better than that. Will send today
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.