Author Topic: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Here at the End of All Things"  (Read 46754 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "The Crownless Shall Again Be King"
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »

1. The Wiggles - Let's Wiggle! (2000)

They say that everything must come to an end, including this list. This is my final solution. I am amazed that no one has ever mentioned this album in any of their countdowns, as it's really a masterpiece of fine music. This album is Number One in my book. I don't get why people assume that the Wiggles are a children's band; will a kid get in a mosh pit at a Wiggles concert? I think not. Come take a look at this picture below. Tomorrow will come and so to will the Wiggles.

This album has changed me. The tale of Dorothy the Dinosaur... it just brings me to tears. Ingmar Bergman could learn a few tricks from her about existentialism. What does it mean to 'wiggle?' The Wiggles ask us this. It is love. It is life.

*bows*

Favorite Tracks: :biggrin:
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2014, 07:53:18 PM »
Masterpiece. :hefdaddy
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2014, 08:12:14 PM »
Masterpiece. :hefdaddy

I knew I couldn't be the only one to understand their genius! :biggrin:
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »
I always cite my first hearing of In the Name of God as the moment when my music taste changed irrevocably, but honestly, I so often leave out the influence that the Wiggles had on my listening.

Dream Theatre who?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2014, 08:59:40 PM »
Great album, but I still think nobody has surpassed this musicianship level:

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2014, 09:01:41 PM »
Great album, but I still think nobody has surpassed this musicianship level:

I dunno, I think those guys kinda peaked when they did this:
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »
Not quite as good a troll post for #1 as Rich naming the True Symphonic Rockestra as his #1, but The Wiggles hold a special place for me.  My kids grew up on them ... Saw them in concert three times. True story. Met Murray backstage too!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Here at the End of All Things"
« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »

1. Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry (1989), Voivod - Nothingface (1989), Mastodon - Crack the Skye (2009)

We've come to it at last: my Number One album(s) of all time. As I mentioned the other day, this spot is a rather big tie between three incredible bands and three incredible albums. Picking a single one from these three would be a Herculean task and I think they all deserve the spot. So screw it; these guys all win. :metal

a. I can imagine quite a few of you are probably surprised to not see Awaken the Guardian here. For the vast majority of the past year, as I wrote and rewrote quite a few different drafts of this list, I can confirm that it was here. In spirit, it still is. But that's the thing; you guys all already know how much I love that album. I don't need to talk about it, because you guys all already know what I'd probably say about the album.

Furthermore, I don't think Perfect Symmetry has ever really gotten the proper credit it deserves. When it comes to Fates Warning, I usually hear people talk about Parallels, Awaken the Guardian or A Pleasant Shade of Gray. Hell, I even have heard a fair amount of praise go towards No Exit too. All of which are incredible albums and deserve a fair amount of respect. But the way I see it, Perfect Symmetry was a game changer in the progressive metal scene.

Back in the late 80's, prog metal basically fell into one of two camps: either you were incredibly melodic (Queensryche) or you were incredibly technical (Watchtower). Fates Warning took both and combined them into one. This was done on Perfect Symmetry by both the hiring of drummer extraordinaire Mark Zonder and the complete reinvention of how both Jim Matheos and Frank Aresti both wrote their music. The guitar duo cast aside the pummeling Sabbath and Thrash riffs of the past, replacing them with more unusual, angular chords, harmonics and celestial solos.

Another aspect that Perfect Symmetry has to its advantage over the latter Fates albums (this also applies to Awaken the Guardian and No Exit) is the inclusion of Frank Aresti as a songwriter. I love Jim Matheos's work as a songwriter, don't get me wrong, but I think even his mind has its creative limits. Aresti shares the workload here, writing three terrific songs completely on his own (A World Apart, The Arena, Static Acts) and co-writing perhaps the band's greatest songwriting achievement ever with Matheos and former bassist Joe DiBiase: At Fates Hand.

At Fates Hand is one of the most breathtaking songs I have ever had the pleasure of listening to and one of my all-time favorites too. The melancholic sound of the strings and piano open the song and lead it into the eerie dirge where Ray Alder softly sings of an apocalyptic sea. Alder, who improved by leaps and bounds from his preceding album, does everything right. He doesn't oversell the song, only singing from his heart. His performance, while hardly anything technical, is truly haunting. The song then builds into a prog frenzy between Matheos, Aresti, DiBiase, Zonder and features a terrific guest appearance from keyboardist Kevin Moore. Aside from his terrific solo, Moore does a brilliant job at setting the perfect musical backdrop to add to the mood for the rest of the band's work.

I often like to compare bands to film directors (i.e. Chuck Schuldiner to Stanley Kubrick): Fates Warning is the Ingmar Bergman of Metal.

Favorite Tracks: The whole damn thing, but Part of the Machine, Nothing Left to Say, A World Apart and At Fates Hand are all particular highlights.

b. Around the same time Perfect Symmetry came out, Voivod released their own masterpiece: Nothingface. Last night, Scorpion jokingly mentioned how his first listen to In the Name of God changed the way he looked at music. The same can be said for me, in regards to this album. I have always been a fan of atypical metal bands. Bands that are smarter and find ways to naturally stand out from the crowd musically and bring out top quality music. It was what led me to discovering progressive metal to begin with. It was what led me to discovering bands such as Mastodon or Conception.

But I still wasn't prepared for Nothingface when I heard it for the first time.

This album is incredibly chaotic. Snake's punk vocals over Piggy's King Crimson-esque riffs and solos, Blacky's thick blower bass and Away's impeccable drumwork? It's all just an absolute mess and yet somehow it works. The madness all adds up to a strange musical vision that could have only either come from a genius or a madman.

This album combined Punk with Black Sabbath, King Crimson and Pink Floyd to create a dark and psychedelic album that was incredibly ahead of its time. While I absolutely adore their cover of Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine, I still wish Nothingface had gotten more success in its time for the band's own musical accomplishments on the album, such as Pre-Ignition.

Favorite Tracks: The whole thing, but Missing Sequences, Pre-Ignition and Sub-Effect are all personal highlights.

c. I did not see this one coming. When I first got into Mastodon a few months back, I initially thought that I would love this album right away and that it had to be the band’s masterwork. But I was left rather disappointed and confused when I finished listening to it for the first several times, while repeated listens to Blood Mountain and Leviathan only made me love those albums more and more. I finally got Crack the Skye back in January, but I still thought that Leviathan was better.

But about two months ago, I was up in Fayetteville to attend one of my friend’s gigs. While that night turned out to be a disaster, due to a long number of reasons, I think that was the night where I started to really appreciate Crack the Skye. While we all waited for the bands to start playing, the DJ played all sorts of different metal classics, such as Black Sabbath, Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead.

Then all of a sudden, Oblivion came on and I flipped my shit in excitement. My friend had a good laugh at my reaction and I’m sure that a few others there probably wondered what the heck was wrong with me, but I didn’t really care. I was listening to Mastodon, for God’s sake. On top of that, Oblivion was finally making some sense to me.

Since then, I have been listening to the album more and more frequently, with each new listen offering more rewards and a better appreciation for the album.

Favorite Tracks: Again, the whole thing, but I think the title track is the quintessential Mastodon song.

Full List of Mister Gold's Top Fifty Albums
50. DragonForce – The Power Within
49. Opeth – Still Life
48. Black Country Communion – Afterglow
47. Dio – Dream Evil
46. Slayer – Hell Awaits
45. King Diamond – Abigail
44. Anthrax – Spreading the Disease
43. Kreator – Pleasure to Kill
42. Helloween – The Dark Ride
41. Control Denied – The Fragile Art of Existence
40. Iced Earth – Night of the Stormrider
39. Dream Theater – Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
38. Dream Theater – Awake
37. Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon
36. Muse – Black Holes and Revelations
35. Tool –Lateralus
34. Crimson Glory – Transcendence
33. Kamelot – Karma
32. King Crimson – Red
31. Rainbow – Rising
30. Iron Maiden – The X Factor
29. Queensryche – Promised Land
28. Van Halen – For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
27. Yes – Fragile
26. Queensryche – Rage for Order
25. Yes – Relayer
24. Kamelot – The Black Halo
23. Black Sabbath – Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Dehumanizer
22. Metallica - … And Justice For All
21. Rush – Clockwork Angels
20. Bruce Dickinson – Accident of Birth
19. Megadeth – Rust in Peace
18. Seventh Wonder – The Great Escape
17. Savatage – Hall of the Mountain King
16. Judas Priest – Defenders of the Faith
15. Rush – Grace Under Pressure
14. Conception – Flow
13. Megadeth – Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying?
12. Arch/Matheos – Sympathetic Resonance
11. Fates Warning – A Pleasant Shade of Gray
10. Iron Maiden – A Matter of Life and Death
9. Conception – In Your Multitude
8. Judas Priest – Painkiller
7. Savatage – Edge of Thorns
6. Nevermore – Dreaming Neon Black, Dead Heart in a Dead World
5. Voivod – The Outer Limit, Mastodon – Leviathan
4. King Diamond – “Them”
3. Death – Human, Symbolic
2. Bruce Dickinson – The Chemical Wedding
1. Fates Warning – Perfect Symmetry, Voivod – Nothingface, Mastodon – Crack the Skye
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:50:48 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #288 on: June 08, 2014, 12:58:24 AM »
I've been loosely following this list and totally missed Night of The Stormrider. :metal

Even though I finally got my answer from Greely himself, It'll always be SPLATCH AN ANGEL'S HOLOCAUST to me.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #289 on: June 08, 2014, 07:08:55 AM »
I've been loosely following this list and totally missed Night of The Stormrider. :metal

Even though I finally got my answer from Greely himself, It'll always be SPLATCH AN ANGEL'S HOLOCAUST to me.

Yeah, I was surprised you never commented on the inclusion of NotS! :metal It's a terrific album and definitely Iced Earth's best album. :tup

I always focus on the part that comes right after that: "THEY'RE SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMIIIINNNNGGGG!" :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #290 on: June 08, 2014, 07:25:55 AM »
Perfect Symmetry is a good album, but Ray's screeching kind of ruins the songs for me. Through Different Eyes and Nothing Left to Say are terrific, though.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #291 on: June 08, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
Perfect Symmetry is a good album, but Ray's screeching kind of ruins the songs for me. Through Different Eyes and Nothing Left to Say are terrific, though.

I disagree about Ray. I really think he improved dramatically as a singer on that album, in comparison to his performance on No Exit. But then, I still like his performance on that album too, so there you go. :lol

Nothing Left to Say is definitely a masterpiece, but as I said in my article, I think the best song is probably At Fates Hand. I'm also rather fond of Part of the Machine.

It's interesting though. Perfect Symmetry wasn't as heavy as the previous Fates Warning albums, but it was definitely a lot darker. It's an incredibly bleak album and it's still pretty heavy too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: June 08, 2014, 07:49:55 AM »
Well done Mister Gold - you've shown yourself to be very adept at identifying when (and in what style) the best music was made , especially for a non-fogey  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #293 on: June 08, 2014, 08:16:41 AM »
Well done Mister Gold - you've shown yourself to be very adept at identifying when (and in what style) the best music was made , especially for a non-fogey  ;D

:lol Thanks for the compliment, bl5150!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: June 08, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
Perfect Symmetry is awesome!  Cool list and great job

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #295 on: June 08, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »

Yeah, this. I accidentally hit your profile and was shocked to learn your age. Figured you were twice as old!

I'm actually 22! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »

Yeah, this. I accidentally hit your profile and was shocked to learn your age. Figured you were twice as old!

I'm actually 22! x 2 plus ..... :lol

FTFY
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #297 on: June 08, 2014, 12:57:28 PM »
 :metal

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: June 08, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
 :biggrin:

Empire would be in my top 50.  I played that while dressing up, falling asleep, brushing my teeth, chillin' out, gettin my mac daddy on with down celler with my parents upstairs and my sweats around my ankles.......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #299 on: June 08, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »

I'm actually 22! :lol

Thanks! :lol

My folks raised me on a lot of music ranging from the 50's to the 70's, such as Elvis, the Beatles, Elton John, a LOT of classic rock bands and disco. So I'm sure that plays into it, since I've never really cared much about most modern music. And as I've mentioned before, I got into metal via classic bands like Black Sabbath, Metallica and Megadeth. So I always had that "80's = Golden Years of Metal" mindset from the start. :metal

Perfect Symmetry is awesome!  Cool list and great job

Thanks man! Glad to see some love for the album! :tup

I'm actually 22! x 2 plus ..... :lol

FTFY
:metal

Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #300 on: June 08, 2014, 01:03:52 PM »
:biggrin:

Empire would be in my top 50.  I played that while dressing up, falling asleep, brushing my teeth, chillin' out, gettin my mac daddy on with down celler with my parents upstairs and my sweats around my ankles.......

Empire has its moments, but I don't think it's all that great an album myself. That said, Anybody Listening? is a masterpiece.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: June 08, 2014, 01:05:18 PM »
Well don't worry about me since I meant to post that in another thread?! :facepalm: :lol

total Sunday fail. :rollin

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #302 on: June 08, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »
Well don't worry about me since I meant to post that in another thread?! :facepalm: :lol

:rofl Alrighty then! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #303 on: June 08, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »

He's NOT a fogey??  *checks profile*  Well suck me sideways.  Never would've guessed.  Nice list... but having a 3-way tie at #1 is a cop out.  This is your Top 53 album list.   :biggrin:

King, I think you had a cross-thread reply with respect to Empire?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #304 on: June 08, 2014, 01:08:20 PM »

He's NOT a fogey??  *checks profile*  Well suck me sideways.  Never would've guessed.  Nice list... but having a 3-way tie at #1 is a cop out.  This is your Top 53 album list.   :biggrin:

King, I think you had a cross-thread reply with respect to Empire?

Sure, it's a cop-out. But it's a pretty badass one at that! :biggrin: :tup And nope, I'm not a fogey! :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #305 on: June 08, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
Nice list... but having a 3-way tie at #1 is a cop out.  This is your Top 53 album list.   

He actually had other ties and ended up with a top 56.

That's ok.  TAC ended up with 59!  :rollin
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #306 on: June 08, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »
Nice list... but having a 3-way tie at #1 is a cop out.  This is your Top 53 album list.   

He actually had other ties and ended up with a top 56.

That's ok.  TAC ended up with 59!  :rollin

Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: June 09, 2014, 05:34:10 AM »
Come on, 3 albums at number 1?  :lol

Nevertheless, good to see love for Perfect Symmetry, I've always really enjoyed that one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #308 on: June 09, 2014, 06:25:54 AM »
Come on, 3 albums at number 1?  :lol

Nevertheless, good to see love for Perfect Symmetry, I've always really enjoyed that one.

I couldn't pick, man! :lol :( :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea