Author Topic: I still don't get This Dying Soul  (Read 5903 times)

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: I still don't get This Dying Soul
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2014, 07:53:42 AM »
It seemed like you originally said it was the exact same riff RaiseTheKnife. The excerpts I posted are the riffs (mostly, didn't go for 100%), which are very different. I think it's clutching at straws to say the same notes are being played, and thus linking the two songs even more. Sure, they share almost all the same notes. But so does the slow riff at around 6:00 in TGP with a lot of 7 string metal songs. And as we both agree, the rhythms are completely different. It's the vocal melody that makes the song an obvious rip-off.

I'm pretty sure RaiseTheKnife is talking about 2 different riffs, both in TDS.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
I still don't get "The End of the Line"..

<<The over-the-top homage to "Jaws of Life" seems so silly that it is a HUGE distraction to me taking that part of the song seriously>>

Not really, but just saying that anyone can say the same thing about thousand of songs that had similar riffs/vocals/intros/ending/solos/etc to others..

Just in case: TEotL 5:32 - 5:41, JoL 5:21 - 5:52 (specially 5:49-5:52, it's the SAME riff!!)

Another "homages":

- Peruvian Skies to Bleeding Me (Metallica), both intros..
- Wither solo to Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) solo.. Same fill..
- The Glass Prison to In My Darkest Hour (Megadeth) intros..
- Holy Wars... (Megadeth) (2:41) to The Killing Hand (0:36)
- Death of Balance (Symphony X) to The Mirror riff intro (This is just the same! DoB: 1:23 - 1:48.. Right at 1:44 I sing over it everytime "Temptation...")

and many more of DT and SX.. Just don't have the time to look for all I know.. I think that's enough to make my point..

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:14:32 PM by ToT-147 »
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 03:49:36 PM »

[/quote]
I'm pretty sure RaiseTheKnife is talking about 2 different riffs, both in TDS.
[/quote]

Exactly. 

Regarding Peruvian Skies, it should be noted that Metallica borrows liberally from a Michael Hedges song in Bleeding Me.  However, I really disagree with all of the comparisons made by TOT.   Glass Prison and Tornado are NOT the same riffs.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
Of course they're not the same riff!... That's exactly what I'm saying.. In the same way that neither that part from TDS and Blackened are.. They're not the same.. They're just similar.. Influence, coincidence, we'll never know.. Only They know..

In the same vein, it can't be deny that Death of Balance has that too similar part with The Mirror.. Yet, it's a technic very used by many other bands, changing from 4/4 to 3/4 or viceversa while the same riff is play it, so... The same happens with those five syllables on TDS.. In TGP we have a similar vocal part with "Enter the door".. There are four here, as well as could have been six, seven...

All homages done by DT are in Full Circle.. I correct myself: done by MP.. The rest we'll never know with certainty..

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 07:58:57 PM »
Chugging on an E string with varying rhythms is like metal 101, and even after analysing the riff and establishing the differences in tone and time, if the only true similarity is a 5 syllable vocal melody that consists of a repeating note in a single pitch, and a rhythm of: ♪♪♪♪ ♩. I mean, have I missed something? Has this pattern never been used in music before?

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »
It's a really cool song. I like the first part, but I don't like the second. I skip the song when it reaches there.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »
Yeah, as I should have skipped that comment.. :laugh:

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 06:53:28 AM »
Bosk, my standard policy for the last 10 years for this song has been to simply hit/click "next" right after the first chorus.  It's a very awesome little songlet like that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 07:17:37 AM »
There's hardly a melody there in either song, especially TDS. The rhythm makes up most of the similarity, which as jingle pointed out, is just 5 syllable lines at a similar tempo, and that's about it.

No, it's a series of 5 syllable (roughly) lines at a similar tempo, that happens to have the same rhyme scheme and phrasing as the original song.  But, yeah, aside from being the same notes, same rhythm, same rhyme, and same phrasing, there is absolutely no similarity whatsoever.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 09:03:11 AM »
I agree with Reap, and I don't get what's not to get about the song.
And a big part of why I like it so much is that last section of the song, which, to my ears, just rips like nobody's business  :metal

This. I can understand people who think it's out of control wankery, but I LOVE it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 12:56:23 PM »
I definitely hear the Blackened comparison, but that part really doesn't make me think of Metallica until it was pointed out years ago. And as Zook said earlier in the thread, the Megadeth part right after jumped out to me immediately.

This is a killer track and in my DT Top 20.

And a big part of why I like it so much is that last section of the song, which, to my ears, just rips like nobody's business  :metal

I agree!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 01:33:57 AM »
- The Glass Prison to Tornado of Souls (Megadeth) intros..

What? The bass melody of TGP and the TOS intro riff? There's no similarity at all :huh:

- Death of Balance (Symphony X) to The Mirror riff intro (This is just the same! DoB: 1:23 - 1:48.. Right at 1:44 I sing over it everytime "Temptation...")

The Death Of Balance came out a few years after The Mirror.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 10:52:48 AM »
I never heard the similarity until this thread :biggrin: The whole album has tons of homages to Metallica and metal bands of the like, so I never thought it was all that surprising or much of a bother. All that matters is :metal :metal :metal
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »
- The Glass Prison to Tornado of Souls (Megadeth) intros..
What? The bass melody of TGP and the TOS intro riff? There's no similarity at all :huh:

I never said "Bass melody".. I wasn't referring to the melody, but to the technical part (guitar and drum).. Don't know if this is legal, but I leave you this link to a fb video so you can hear the similarity by hearing the two parts at the same time.. https://goo.gl/DZTHPA

Edit: Lol.. MY BAD!!.. I confused Tornado of Souls with In My Darkest Hour.. :-[ Not a real Megadeth fan anyway.. I get now how everyone was denying the likeness..  ;D

The Death Of Balance came out a few years after The Mirror.

That was my only argument to say it was a homage by Symphony to DT.. Also that's why I always sing "Temptation..." over DoB and not vice versa, which in fact would be impossible..
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:13:33 PM by ToT-147 »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 12:29:03 AM »
Whoops, sorry about the Death Of Balance part, seems like I misunderstood that. Anyway, I can see some similarity between TGP and IMDH.