Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius Trial  (Read 798 times)

Offline puppyonacid

Oscar Pistorius Trial
« on: April 11, 2014, 05:31:28 AM »
Not seeing a thread for this anywhere else. Thought it could go here since it's newsworthy but a live murder trial may be too heavy for GD.

No worries if a mod wants to move it though.

So does anyone have any thoughts? I personally think it's not looking good for him. His story is very porous and the prosecution are picking it apart quite efficiently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-26984472
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:18:05 AM »
I've made a point to avoid coverage of the entire affair. A bit too sensational, IMO. Based on what I hear each day during AP newsbreaks, the guy's either a murderer or somebody so monumentally incompetent in gun ownership that he should be put away in either case.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline puppyonacid

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:13 AM »
That's the conclusion I came to this morning actually.

Putting his guilt or innocence to one side; I don't understand why he didn't admit to firing the other shots (at the restaurant, out the car roof etc.) because it kind of looks like he has a magic gun that just goes off that he has no control over. Not someone that should have ownership of a firearm really.

I've only been following the coverage on the BBC and it's not overly sensationalised really. Just what happens in court.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:53:47 AM »
Just another rage-o-holic with a gun.  His "I thought there was an intruder in the bathroom" schtick is pretty weak.

That said, the case against him isn't exactly air tight either.

Does anyone know if the legal system where he's being tried is like ours where there is a presumption of innocence ?

Offline j

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »
Does anyone know if the legal system where he's being tried is like ours where there is a presumption of innocence ?

South Africa, so yeah there is supposed to be.

Like others have said it's hard to filter out all the sensationalist bullshit, but from what I can tell, the dude's story seems highly suspect to me.  Sounds like he may have had a history of volatility and temper related outbursts and this one ended particularly badly.

-J

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »

South Africa, so yeah there is supposed to be.

Like others have said it's hard to filter out all the sensationalist bullshit, but from what I can tell, the dude's story seems highly suspect to me.  Sounds like he may have had a history of volatility and temper related outbursts and this one ended particularly badly.

-J

Pretty much the impression I've got based on what I've seen/read/heard in the media

Offline puppyonacid

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:15:34 AM »
Found guilty of culpable homicide. Sentencing on 13th October. Also found guilty of negligence with a firearm.

He's been allowed bail.

Thoughts anyone?

I thought the judge had a very rational posture.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »
Yes, I found the judge to be quite rational as well.  I am not aware of all of the facts that were presented in the case, though, so I can't say with any confidence that the judge arrived at the correct conclusion, but she came off as pretty reasonable to me.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
Ya, America needs a charge of "negligence with a firearm." Unless we do and I just never see anyone charged with it. Seems like a pretty good charge (without knowing the full details) to lay against Zimmerman et al.