Author Topic: Windows 8 Users Rejoice!!  (Read 1150 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Windows 8 Users Rejoice!!
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »
Today, Microsoft released an update to Windows 8.1 that makes it much more usable with a mouse and keyboard. Several of the "classic" features like the task bar have been added back in.

You'll eventually get the update via Windows Update, but if you don't feel like waiting, you can download what you need here:

https://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/fl/windows-8-1-update-1.htm

I've installed it and it actually makes Windows 8 bearable on a laptop or desktop. 

Offline robwebster

Re: Windows 8 Users Rejoice!!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »
I've never minded the lack of the start menu in the way everyone else seems to - tiles screen is fine - but it's extra functionality, and sounds like a fairly decent overhaul, so that's always fun. Cheers for the heads up, bring it on!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:30:47 PM »
SWEET!!!!!!  :metal

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »
Heh...on the other side, Windows XP support is almost over.  I read that both the UK and Dutch governments paid Microsoft millions to continue support of their XP computers. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 02:16:11 PM »
saw a report today that 70% of US Bank ATMs are still XP based...down from 95% beginning of the year..but still  :facepalm:
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »
I don't know how much the end of XP support matters. The thing is quite well established and I'm not sure how much they've been doing with it anyway.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:16 PM »
I don't know how much the end of XP support matters. The thing is quite well established and I'm not sure how much they've been doing with it anyway.

It's more about the fact that newly discovered exploits are going to start running wild with no intent of stopping them. Many believe hackers are sitting on attacks just waiting for the day (today).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »
That makes sense. and is kinda scary as hell. Thank god the hotel just upgraded to W7 across the board.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »
I have honestly had zero problems with 8.1 since I made the switch a couple months ago. While I think the "start page" is truly awful for m+kb, the classic view has been more than fine. If I want to use a certain program that's not pinned to my taskbar or on my desktop, I just hit the Windows key and start typing. Works fine.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
saw a report today that 70% of US Bank ATMs are still XP based...down from 95% beginning of the year..but still  :facepalm:

That just boggles my mind. I fail to understand why you would use anything but Linux for an ATM interface. Cheap, ultra-reliable, best network support...
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »

It's more about the fact that newly discovered exploits are going to start running wild with no intent of stopping them. Many believe hackers are sitting on attacks just waiting for the day (today).
I think that's unlikely. Might happen, but honestly it seems like a stretch. Moreover, there are plenty of people with the intent to stop them should it happen. I'll also point out that I'm still running SP2 on most of my machines and they stopped updating that several years ago. I don't mean that to say that it's safe, but there are plenty of people using unsupported XPs and I haven't heard of anybody running amok with the SP2 specific malware. I tend to think that people who craft exploits don't have the patience to sit on them, and they've probably moved on by now to greener pastures.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
XP was just too good an OS. To this day, none of the additional features of Vista, Win7 or Win8 are really interesting to me. I still use them like they are XP.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »
This thread might as well be in Spanish for me. I mean, I have no idea what any of it means. I turn on my computer, browse a few sites and that's about it. We had dinner with friends last week, and the guy was telling me about this, and my ears were glazing over.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »
Ive had no problems with W8, but thats because I have a touch screen.  I would hate it using a keyboard and mouse.  This will probably make my father happy.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
Even with a keyboard and mouse I've never had any problems with Windows 8. Meh.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 05:11:55 PM »
I don't like Windows 8 much, but because I mostly use my MacBook, it might just be because I'm not used to it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 05:21:48 PM »

I think that's unlikely. Might happen, but honestly it seems like a stretch. Moreover, there are plenty of people with the intent to stop them should it happen. I'll also point out that I'm still running SP2 on most of my machines and they stopped updating that several years ago. I don't mean that to say that it's safe, but there are plenty of people using unsupported XPs and I haven't heard of anybody running amok with the SP2 specific malware. I tend to think that people who craft exploits don't have the patience to sit on them, and they've probably moved on by now to greener pastures.

I hope so, because my PC is still running XP SP3.

XP was just too good an OS. To this day, none of the additional features of Vista, Win7 or Win8 are really interesting to me. I still use them like they are XP.

This.  All my work PCs are Vista or Win7, but I've dumbed them down because I'm just an old-fashioned guy.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 06:00:43 PM »
And even before that, Win98 SE was rock solid too.
I mean, in the end, they're fucking *Operating Systems*. At some point they do well what they're supposed to do, which is to host programs and interface with hardware. Which is frankly a pretty boring thing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 06:30:10 PM »
I'm sure windows 9 Wil be good, its every other release that is good with MS OSs.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »

Actually.....Microsoft has released security updates for Windows XP all the way up until last week when the last update was issued.   The end of support, means that each and every vulnerability that is discovered going forward will remain un-patched.  The longer we go, the more exploits will be discovered and remain un-patched.  By most professional estimates, 6 months from now there will be at least 50 to 100 significant security flaws with XP that will be un-fixable.

It matters.  Big time.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
But that's only if you rely solely on Windows security.  If you have Norton or McAfee or something else, those products will still work.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »
Norton and McAffee work on different levels. For example, a vulnerability in the Remote Desktop Protocol that would allow outsiders to get into your computer, would never be caught by Norton and McAffee. kirknosenhair is exactly correct; XP from this point will increasingly become a liability.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »
Okay, I never thought about that.  I was thinking strictly about anti-virus and anti-malware.

Crap.  I really don't want to upgrade my PC.  Also, it's seven years old and I don't even know if I have many options, if any.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 05:33:08 PM »

Actually.....Microsoft has released security updates for Windows XP all the way up until last week when the last update was issued.   The end of support, means that each and every vulnerability that is discovered going forward will remain un-patched.  The longer we go, the more exploits will be discovered and remain un-patched.  By most professional estimates, 6 months from now there will be at least 50 to 100 significant security flaws with XP that will be un-fixable.

It matters.  Big time.
I get that and I'll certainly take your word for it. However, doesn't that only include SP3? Also, my hunch is that the people who are hunting for exploits are moving on to more popularly deployed OS's. Lastly, there's only so much code in an operating system. Perhaps I'm naive but it seems a bit panicky to think that after 12 years people are still churning out 10-20 significant security flaws a week.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 07:07:56 PM »
I would think that especially *now* hackers will jump on hacking XP because of all the ATMs.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 09:14:24 AM »
Okay, I never thought about that.  I was thinking strictly about anti-virus and anti-malware.

Crap.  I really don't want to upgrade my PC.  Also, it's seven years old and I don't even know if I have many options, if any.

I'm basically in the same boat as you.  Current setup really didn't make sense to upgrade the OS, plus I like to have clean installs anyway.  I decided to have a little fun and build my own desktop.  Just ordered all the parts this week.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 01:23:21 PM »
But that's only if you rely solely on Windows security.  If you have Norton or McAfee or something else, those products will still work.

That is incorrect to some extent.  Yes, McAfee and Norton will continue to function.  However, those security flaws will still exist.  Regardless of any third party security products you are running.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 01:28:49 PM »

It matters.  Big time.
I get that and I'll certainly take your word for it. However, doesn't that only include SP3? Also, my hunch is that the people who are hunting for exploits are moving on to more popularly deployed OS's. Lastly, there's only so much code in an operating system. Perhaps I'm naive but it seems a bit panicky to think that after 12 years people are still churning out 10-20 significant security flaws a week.

Yes, you are a bit naive.  (no offense)

For the more technically savvy among us, I found this a while back and it's got some pretty useful tips on how to harden XP systems until you can migrate.
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1304965/when-windows-xp-support-ends-this-is-how-you-secure-your-pc-and-save-all-updates

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »
For the more technically savvy among us, I found this a while back and it's got some pretty useful tips on how to harden XP systems until you can migrate.
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1304965/when-windows-xp-support-ends-this-is-how-you-secure-your-pc-and-save-all-updates

HOW LONG WILL WINDOWS XP BE SECURE FOR?

Unless there's a massive vulnerability that security software can't protect against, Windows XP should still have a long life in front of it. As long as security software, drivers and other applications have Windows XP updates for them, the operating system can continue to be used securely and reliably. At some point you'll find that new hardware and software won't support the OS, and updates stop coming, but until that day you don't need to upgrade.

No where in the article was their doom and gloom about the hundreds of security flaws within XP waiting to be exploited. Some very sensible advice about watching out for java and flash exploits, using AV, slipstreaming future XP installs with the last security updates and not using IE; all of which I'm already onboard with.

Since I generally think paranoia is a better attribute to have over naivete, I'll give you the upper hand here. However, I think our flawed perspectives are about on par with each other.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 01:52:30 PM »
Wow, that article seems pretty comprehensive.  Thanks for that.  I'll be giving it a much more careful look when I get home.