Author Topic: Anderson-Rudess-Ponty colaboration  (Read 1892 times)

Offline MS394

Anderson-Rudess-Ponty colaboration
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »
Haven't seen this mentioned in other topics; could be interesting.

https://www.prog-sphere.com/news/jon-anderson-forms-new-band/

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Anderson-Rudess-Ponty colaboration
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:00:03 AM »
Hmmm. Could be interesting indeed!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 04:57:11 AM »
Read that as Portnoy at first.

Should be interesting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 05:49:49 AM »
Should be cool!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:05:34 AM »
Sounds interesting. I hope it's not wankery prog though. I've been really growing out of that kind of prog recently.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »
Read that as Portnoy at first.
:lol
Me too!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:38:26 AM »
Sounds interesting. I hope it's not wankery prog though. I've been really growing out of that kind of prog recently.

Jon Anderson has mellowed quite a bit in recent years, and the wanky side of Yes was never his doing.  He's a much more "song-oriented" guy, and this is his project, so I'm expecting it to be pretty laid back, with great instrumental backdrops and maybe a few spots where the band gets to indulge themselves.

Anderson has worked with Rick Wakeman a lot, including a duo album a few years back, so working with Jordan Rudess should be similar for him.  They have similar styles and, from what I can tell, similar approaches to collaboration.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
Jon Anderson has talked about so many major projects over the last few years (Olias sequel and the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman band come to mind) that never came to fruition, so I'll believe this when I actually have the CD in my hands. Hopefully this band will actually materialize, because it sounds like it would be fantastic. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 06:05:04 PM »
I never connected too much with Yes, so I presume this will be similar. Will check it out though. Jordan's side projects are hit or miss.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »
Color me excited, I can see this being a beautiful album
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
Jon Anderson has talked about so many major projects over the last few years (Olias sequel and the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman band come to mind) that never came to fruition, so I'll believe this when I actually have the CD in my hands. Hopefully this band will actually materialize, because it sounds like it would be fantastic.

I wanted this to happen SO MUCH, especially if they managed to bring in Levin and Bruford and call the band BRAWL (Bruford Rabin Anderson Wakeman Levin). Imagine the potential of those five together, four being Yesmen with Levin being a semi-Yesman. There was so much promise to an Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman outing but it's a shame it never happened.

As for this, with Rudess and Ponty - like Coldfire said, I'll wait til I hear some samples, and eventually get the disc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
Rabin and Wakeman have been saying for years that they want to work together, and finally did on the Yes Union tour, but they wanted to do an album together and somehow have never gotten their shit together.  Anderson would be the logical singer, since he actually gets along with both of them, but throw him into the mix and it's pretty much never gonna happen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 02:13:31 PM »
This will certainly be interesting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »

I wanted this to happen SO MUCH, especially if they managed to bring in Levin and Bruford and call the band BRAWL (Bruford Rabin Anderson Wakeman Levin). Imagine the potential of those five together, four being Yesmen with Levin being a semi-Yesman. There was so much promise to an Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman outing but it's a shame it never happened.

As for this, with Rudess and Ponty - like Coldfire said, I'll wait til I hear some samples, and eventually get the disc.

-Marc.

Bruford's been retired for a few years now so I'm afraid you'll need to get Bozzio involved with this.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
So Jordan Rudess is no longer in this band...because he never actually joined.  :lol

From Michael Lewis's Facebook:
Q) Hi Michael,I was wondering if you could shed some light on the rumor floating about Jordan Rudess no longer participating with Inventioning ? what happened and is there someone else on Keys?

A) Michael Lewis Music -- Yes, it is true... Here's what I know... Jordan had indicated a possible interest in the project but it was tentative. Jon, when pressed with questions about the personnel of the group, mentioned Jordan's name and it became a rumor that he was in (which I tried to quiet on the Inventioning page because it was not confirmed).

When Dream Theatre came to Seattle in April, Jordan and I had the chance to visit and spend the afternoon together, hanging out around Seattle. Jordan is an amazing guy and we talked about all kinds of things, including (of course) the Inventioning band. Jordan was seriously considering the project at that time but from the time he made mention that he was interested (earlier in the year) to the time we met, Dream Theater's popularity literally skyrocketed and they were adding dates to their world tour, left and right. So Jordan really had no choice but to pass because the reality was he had become too busy to fully commit to production and touring with another major group.

Re: Is there someone else on keys? There have been many, many names discussed but I don't know who Jon has chosen for the chair and he will have the final say on that. I'm sure he'll make an announcement at some point and then we'll all know! Thanks for inquiring. I wish it had worked out with Jordan and I wish him and all the Dream Theater guys continued success. I'm personally very happy for them all (great bunch of guys!) and they are well deserving of the recognition. Michael Lewis

Wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing falls apart. Given Anderson's track record, it's practically a given.

Also, DT's popularity skyrocketed?  :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 11:29:46 PM »
Yeah, what??
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 12:07:11 AM »
dream theatre
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 12:42:31 AM »
dream theatre

:facepalm:,his ignorance knows no bounds. :laugh:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 06:58:16 AM »
I could be annoyed by guys like this, but I just have to remember that not everybody has heard of Dream Theater.  Even after a tour is set up, dates get filled in, second shows are added, etc., and space is left for that.  But from this guy's point of view, DT was "suddenly" hot and adding tour dates, because it was happening at the time the band was being formed, and that's why Jordan couldn't join.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 12:17:45 PM »

Also, DT's popularity skyrocketed?  :lol

I guess appearing in the Huffington Post will do that...