Author Topic: A few things of interest I learned from speaking with the guys April 6th  (Read 7014 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

As a few of you might know, I got the chance to see DT last night in Milwaukee, and got the chance to chat with everyone except James since he didn't come out for this particular aftershow (much to my wife's disappointment). Not gonna try to write down every detail of our conversations since I can't remember them, but some of the things of interest that stuck out in my mind.

I asked JP about the redesign of his JP signature guitars, and he mentioned that actually he had been thinking of coming up with a new design to "shake things up" for a few years, since his guitars have been pretty much the same body with small/gradual changes over the years. When I asked why the upper horn is so big, he said that actually the end of the horn is in the same position on his previous guitars, and that it's only the deeper cut-away that makes the horn look much longer. Had they shortened that horn, it would have affected the weight balance of the guitar.

I asked JR about if there will be any setlist changes for the upcoming legs of the tour and he told me that as long as they're going to play in areas that they have not already played, that the setlist will remain the same as it has. So if/when they announce dates for Asia, Australia and/or South America, I'd expect the setlist will be the same as it is now. So I think it's safe to assume that the shows they'll be playing this summer in Europe will have a different setlist. We also talked about the big gap between the end of the American leg and the second European leg, and if there will be any other shows added in between, and it doesn't appear that there will be. Apparently with some of their kids graduating and other things, the guys have opted to take that time off.

MM was his usual hyper self. It was cool that he recognized me, since it's been almost 2 years since I last saw DT and I don't know him like the rest of the band. Funny enough, he wanted to know how I know the guys, where we met previously, why I was seeing them in Milwaukee, etc., but I appreciated the fact that he took the time to try to understand why he's seen me several times at aftershows. I asked him about the problems he appeared to be experiencing towards the end of TSF (it was quite visible he wasn't happy and couldn't hear something/anything in his in-ear monitors - not sure if it was instrumentation in general, the click track or what) but all he would say was that it was stuff. Perhaps starting off with that question set him a bit on edge since he seemed to be a bit snippy with me when I asked how the tour was going. Can't remember the exact words but something to the effect of "how do you think it's going? It's been hard! Do you wanna play all those songs?!" which surprised me a bit. Nonetheless, he was gracious enough to sign a couple things and take a pic with me and my wife. Later, just before the aftershow ended, I approached him to apologize in case I offended him and he said that wasn't the case, but that he wanted to be completely up-front and honest about how hard it was to play the whole set, instead of just saying that everything was fine. The one thing I regret forgetting to ask was about having the 2 extra bass drums on his kit, since he had mentioned previously that he was gonna get rid of them - ah well, hopefully someone else can ask him.  :facepalm:

Finally we got to speak with JM and we chatted about a number of things (family, etc.) that aren't worth mentioning, but at some point the conversation turned towards upcoming tour legs and he commented that DT will probably be hitting South America in the fall, perhaps around August or September, altho nothing is set in stone.

So just a few tidbits that I thought some of you might be interested in knowing.   :smiley:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
Awesome stuff!
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
As a few of you might know, I got the chance to see DT last night in Milwaukee, and got the chance to chat with everyone except James since he didn't come out for this particular aftershow (much to my wife's disappointment). Not gonna try to write down every detail of our conversations since I can't remember them, but some of the things of interest that stuck out in my mind.

I asked JP about the redesign of his JP signature guitars, and he mentioned that actually he had been thinking of coming up with a new design to "shake things up" for a few years, since his guitars have been pretty much the same body with small/gradual changes over the years. When I asked why the upper horn is so big, he said that actually the end of the horn is in the same position on his previous guitars, and that it's only the deeper cut-away that makes the horn look much longer. Had they shortened that horn, it would have affected the weight balance of the guitar.

I asked JR about if there will be any setlist changes for the upcoming legs of the tour and he told me that as long as they're going to play in areas that they have not already played, that the setlist will remain the same as it has. So if/when they announce dates for Asia, Australia and/or South America, I'd expect the setlist will be the same as it is now. So I think it's safe to assume that the shows they'll be playing this summer in Europe will have a different setlist. We also talked about the big gap between the end of the American leg and the second European leg, and if there will be any other shows added in between, and it doesn't appear that there will be. Apparently with some of their kids graduating and other things, the guys have opted to take that time off.

MM was his usual hyper self. It was cool that he recognized me, since it's been almost 2 years since I last saw DT and I don't know him like the rest of the band. Funny enough, he wanted to know how I know the guys, where we met previously, why I was seeing them in Milwaukee, etc., but I appreciated the fact that he took the time to try to understand why he's seen me several times at aftershows. I asked him about the problems he appeared to be experiencing towards the end of TSF (it was quite visible he wasn't happy and couldn't hear something/anything in his in-ear monitors - not sure if it was instrumentation in general, the click track or what) but all he would say was that it was stuff. Perhaps starting off with that question set him a bit on edge since he seemed to be a bit snippy with me when I asked how the tour was going. Can't remember the exact words but something to the effect of "how do you think it's going? It's been hard! Do you wanna play all those songs?!" which surprised me a bit. Nonetheless, he was gracious enough to sign a couple things and take a pic with me and my wife. Later, just before the aftershow ended, I approached him to apologize in case I offended him and he said that wasn't the case, but that he wanted to be completely up-front and honest about how hard it was to play the whole set, instead of just saying that everything was fine. The one thing I regret forgetting to ask was about having the 2 extra bass drums on his kit, since he had mentioned previously that he was gonna get rid of them - ah well, hopefully someone else can ask him.  :facepalm:

Finally we got to speak with JM and we chatted about a number of things (family, etc.) that aren't worth mentioning, but at some point the conversation turned towards upcoming tour legs and he commented that DT will probably be hitting South America in the fall, perhaps around August or September, altho nothing is set in stone.

So just a few tidbits that I thought some of you might be interested in knowing.   :smiley:

So I'm pretty new to the forums. How in the world do you have an 'in' with the band? That's so awesome!!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
Chur bro,

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
The Genie is human
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Good stuff, Scotty. Thanks for sharing! :coolio

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Is it just me that hopes JP doesn't use the Majesty exclusively from now on ?

I'm the kind of guy that likes seeing musicians with their signature guitar - in this case - JP's MM13 shape.

* I mean signature to them - not "signature" guitars.

Offline emtee

They might need to think about scaling back the necessity to be so precise with the production of their shows as it seems
to be very stressful for MM. Almost seems like he is not having fun because of it. He also mentioned in his latest interview
how absolutely precise he needs to be to execute the live shows properly. I appreciate what they are doing but in the end
it's rock and roll and it's supposed to be fun for the fans and the band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Going from a nightly 2-hour show to a nightly 3-hour show, especially when you are not used to them like the other members are, has to be somewhat of a shock to the system, especially for a guy his age, so he is probably still adjusting to it, mentally and physically.

Offline emtee

I may be wrong but I think part of the reason why it's so stressful for him is he has to trigger certain things right on a click.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
They might need to think about scaling back the necessity to be so precise with the production of their shows as it seems
to be very stressful for MM. Almost seems like he is not having fun because of it. He also mentioned in his latest interview
how absolutely precise he needs to be to execute the live shows properly. I appreciate what they are doing but in the end
it's rock and roll and it's supposed to be fun for the fans and the band.

I hear you, but I am glad they are giving it a shot.  Maybe they'll work it out to where everyone is comfortable and it comes across more naturally at some point. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow2222

Cool stuff. It does make me relatively disappointed that I paid $250 to do an aftershow at the April 2 gig, and while I did get to talk to Jordan for about 5 minutes, JP spent so long talking to someone else that he could only take a quick photo with me before he had to leave, and nobody else showed up.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline mikeyd23

I may be wrong but I think part of the reason why it's so stressful for him is he has to trigger certain things right on a click.

Certain things? If my understanding of the show is correct, the entire three hour set is programmed into the click track for each and every song.  In other words, if MM gets a beat off the click, not only will it throw the timing of the musicians off, but it will throw off the lighting production for the song and the video production as well.  I can understand why that's stressful and a lot of work to deal with!

I really respect the fact that he was completely honest though and didn't just say, "oh the tour is awesome" or "everything has been cool"... etc, etc... I think it says a lot about his character that he was completely honest and admitted that its been a tough task not only playing all that music (which there is a lot) but also the added pressure of essentially holding the entire show together from moment to moment, night after night.

Offline emtee

^Wow. Thanks for the info. That has to be mucho stresso. I'd quit after 1 show :laugh:

Offline Mladen

It's a shame that MM is having some difficulties, I hope it's not too stressful. Nice info overall, Scotty.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
As a few of you might know, I got the chance to see DT last night in Milwaukee, and got the chance to chat with everyone except James since he didn't come out for this particular aftershow (much to my wife's disappointment).

WHO's??  :lol

Congrats. Better late than never!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Scotty, did the subject of another US Leg come up?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
How long have they been doing their live shows with a click track?  Or have they always done that?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
How long have they been doing their live shows with a click track?  Or have they always done that?

They've been doing it since MM joined the band, so ADTOE.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dreamer

Thanks for the post, does anyone know if a DVD will be shot from this tour?

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Scotty, did the subject of another US Leg come up?

My guess is early  2015 and it may not be an evening with format.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It was shot in Boston a couple of weeks ago.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

I couldn't tell.  There was cameras in my way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol

Damn things!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...

took me a sec...

:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online goo-goo

Certain things? If my understanding of the show is correct, the entire three hour set is programmed into the click track for each and every song.  In other words, if MM gets a beat off the click, not only will it throw the timing of the musicians off, but it will throw off the lighting production for the song and the video production as well.  I can understand why that's stressful and a lot of work to deal with!

I really respect the fact that he was completely honest though and didn't just say, "oh the tour is awesome" or "everything has been cool"... etc, etc... I think it says a lot about his character that he was completely honest and admitted that its been a tough task not only playing all that music (which there is a lot) but also the added pressure of essentially holding the entire show together from moment to moment, night after night.

I appreciate the honesty as well. Similar thing happened to me when I interviewed for a job. The interviewer asked me a question and I honestly said "I don't know." The interviewer said "Thank you for your honesty. A lot of people have tried to BS me their way out of the question I just asked you." So being honest sometimes pays off

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
Is it just me that hopes JP doesn't use the Majesty exclusively from now on ?

I'm the kind of guy that likes seeing musicians with their signature guitar - in this case - JP's MM13 shape.

* I mean signature to them - not "signature" guitars.

You are not the only one. There is a very real possibility we will see a return to the JP13 style body next year for the 15th anniversary. From what I can tell, the reaction to the Majesty has been harsh...to say the very least. Most people seem to despise the way it looks. I am one of those people, I might add.

I have a JP signature model myself. Even though it's cool he's trying new things with the Majesty, the JPX-13 body designs are just too elegant to discontinue. I think he goes back to his regular guitars next year with some updates/enhancements.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

MM mentioned in that recent YouTube video that he kind of pitched himself to the band as someone who can do that. I personally think they should ditch it, if only for MM's enjoyment.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread

Great to know this, I assumed they would keep playing the same set on places they haven't gone to and perhaps change some tracks on places they're visiting again. I'm glad they'll keep the set when they do South America (hope they come to Central America again), since I feel I really can't miss this tour and setlist. At the same time, if they change the setlist on places they've already gone to, we get some other songs played, and those could be tracks they have not played in a while/never before too so here's hoping for the best  :tup

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

MM mentioned in that recent YouTube video that he kind of pitched himself to the band as someone who can do that. I personally think they should ditch it, if only for MM's enjoyment.

I just hope it won't make him question wanting to be in the band. He seemed so happy and grateful when they told him he was in.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline mirko_metal_88

If it's too stressful for MM than let MP come back... :P

Offline phentalmyst

i can't see MP playing to a click live with DT...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I can't see MP playing live with DT.

Offline mikeyd23

I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions from what MM said here.  If you think about it, of course this tour would be tough mentally and physically on MM.  I think the click track thing probably adds to that a little, but it seems that MM is one of those drummers who can pretty easily groove to a click. The fact that the whole show is sequenced to that click definitely adds to his stress levels I'm sure, but honestly, even if they were playing with no click at all I still think this tour would be tough and stressful for MM for a couple different reasons.

First off, its an Evening With tour format.  The other guys haven't done this format in years, but MM has never done it! So I'm sure that a big adjustment physically (making sure he's got the stamina to play every night) and mentally.  Which is kinda one of the other reasons why this tour was probably stressful, mentally he had to learn a lot of new (for him) material.  Also, I've seen several interviews with band members that are basically saying this tour was the most ambitious tour of their careers, so I'm sure that's been talked about among the band members, which could certainly add to the pressure.

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't jump to any "MM's not happy" or "MM's not excited" conclusions.  In fact it makes perfect sense to me that this tour would be really hard for MM and stressful.  All that matters is that at the end of the day, when I saw DT live on this tour, MM looked like he was having a ball the entire show.  He was excited energetic, passionate, etc...