Author Topic: A Change of Seaons (Original) Discussion  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Grizz

A Change of Seaons (Original) Discussion
« on: April 07, 2014, 10:18:11 PM »
So, how many boots of this song exist?

There are at least three demo versions of this song:

The first is instrumental. It can be found here on Youtube and, according to the uploader, was recorded by MP at Berklee in 1986 (which sounds screwy).

Then, there is the version distributed on the Images and Words demos, from Chris Cintron's vocal audition.

Finally, there is the version from the Images and Wots sessions, with JLB singing, and is featured on the silver boot entitled Antiquities. This one sounds pretty good (better than WDADU, at least), but needs to be dialed back to 96% playback speed to not be in the key of B-sharp. This is presumably due to capstan wear.

The song was performed four times by Mike's account.

The first was at the infamous Steve Stone show, in which the song was performed instrumentally. There is one known source for this show whose quality is comparable to that of Steve's dancing.

The second performance was the set closer at Majesty's first subsequent show, in which they performed instrumentally under the name "Ytsejam" because they were so embarrassed from their previous performance, despite five elapsed months. By this time they were working with the aforementioned Chris Clitron, but didn't want another fiasco. He fell off the earth the next day. A source exists for this show.

The song was introduced with lyrics at the Limelight show, for which there are numerous great sources (at least two video, two audio, and one official). This is widely considered the definitive recording due to its release as an official bootleg and wide circulation in the nineties.

The final performance of the song was in Bonn, Germany (the same city as "Mercy fuck" IIRC), for which one video source exists. Two DVD-Rips circulate with varying generational quality. "Source two" has Wait for Sleep and Learning to Live; "Source one" has a video of a performance of New Millenium 1999 drum clinic; "Source four" is the name of an ellipsoidal reflector spotlight by Electronic Theatre Controls. This show was recorded with a microphone that does not handle high noise well; as a result, while video quality is pretty good for the era and "Carpe Diem" sounds alright, the rest is a quiet, bass-heavy, distorted mess.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:12:46 PM by Grizz »
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: A Change of Seaons (Original) Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:34:10 AM »
I have source one of BONN, the one ending with Take The Time. Both audio and video quality are... Questionable. If you are prepared, though, you might enjoy it. The main youtube video of the bonn performance (on the dreamtheaterbootlegs channel) consequentially features source one.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:10:36 AM »
Source two gets overloaded easily. This is probably the worst distortion I've seen on a boot yet. If the mic was better, the quality would be uncanny for its age. Damn shame.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:26:47 AM »
Source two gets overloaded easily. This is probably the worst distortion I've seen on a boot yet. If the mic was better, the quality would be uncanny for its age. Damn shame.

Could you share source 2 on the hub? Beem looking for it for ages!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
Yeah sure, I think I got it from Nickeh. Give me an hour.

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 06:46:12 PM »
The "1986" one sure sounds like the one from Antiquities, with the exception of the Antiquities one being a bit sharp and having vocals, ofc.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »
I've slowed down the Antiquities version so that it (roughly) tunes to B. It sounds pretty decent.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 10:19:56 PM »
I know they used the Mercy Fuck lyrics for the first performance of the new version of ACOS in Old Bridge, NJ.  I do not remember if those lyrics were used in Bonn.  I'm at work so I don't have access to the bootleg of it right now.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »
The "1986" one sure sounds like the one from Antiquities, with the exception of the Antiquities one being a bit sharp and having vocals, ofc.
Don't have time to check out the "1986" version now, but that date is wrong for a fact. The band didn't complete the original song until much later. If it's what I think it is, it's the version that appeared on the InstruMental II bootleg, which IIRC was recorded in 1989. That track was then used as the backing track for the demo that has Chris Cintron's vocals on it.

I know they used the Mercy Fuck lyrics for the first performance of the new version of ACOS in Old Bridge, NJ.  I do not remember if those lyrics were used in Bonn.  I'm at work so I don't have access to the bootleg of it right now.
No - that was a lyric that was added when they updated the song in 1995. In fact it caused quite a bit of a stir when reports from the first (1995) Ytse-con, (which MP, Derek and JM attended) were written to the Ytsejam Mailing List. They had brought a copy of the newly recorded version of the song to premiere, and that lyric stood out like a sore thumb. I remember there was a lot of discussion about that lyric on the Ytsejam Mailing List and personally I was put off by the idea since it didn't seem to fit the content of the lyrics.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 11:36:50 PM »

No - that was a lyric that was added when they updated the song in 1995. In fact it caused quite a bit of a stir when reports from the first (1995) Ytse-con, (which MP, Derek and JM attended) were written to the Ytsejam Mailing List. They had brought a copy of the newly recorded version of the song to premiere, and that lyric stood out like a sore thumb. I remember there was a lot of discussion about that lyric on the Ytsejam Mailing List and personally I was put off by the idea since it didn't seem to fit the content of the lyrics.

I remember quite a few people on the YML having major issues with the lyrical choice. I completely empathized with them as I generally don't see the point for a band like DT, who really do write some imaginative lyrics, to accentuate an emotion by using lyrics like that.