Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 102937 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2010, 03:56:44 PM »
Party + Kashoggi's Ship always have a special place in my ear.

rumborak

I love The Miracle cd.  The title track is a must.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »
I always end up crying by the end of Innuendo. :(

It's pretty hard not to. I get that way whenever I play that album especially near the end.

I just realized that I don't have a version of "Under Pressure" on CD.

I don't have Hot Space, The Miracle or Sheer Heart Attack (still waiting for an EMI CD pressing on that one.)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2010, 04:44:24 PM »
Ytse, you don't have the greatest hits from 81?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2010, 04:56:54 PM »
I'm listening to Don't Stop Me Now at the moment. In terms of who Mr. Mercury was, this song makes me a tad bit sad.

:sadpanda:
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2010, 05:20:08 PM »
Ytse, you don't have the greatest hits from 81?

I've got the original import from 1981.

It might be on my vinyl copy, but it's not on the CD.

Kosmo

« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »
My favourite song by Queen is propably I'm Going Slightly Mad.  :hat

And yes, i too get sad when listening to Innuendo.  :-\

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »
My favourite is You're My Best Friend.  I always felt that it embraced the loving person in Mercury behind all the shit he lived through.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2010, 11:46:50 PM »
Freddie sounds like he was one of the greatest people in rock n roll. Hes one of the few people that have died that I wish I had the chance to meet. :(

My favorite song at the moment would probably be "The March of the Black Queen". But its rotates from either that, "It's Late', "The Show Must Go On" or "The Prophet's Song" depending on my mood.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2010, 12:00:41 AM »
Listening to Live at Wembley '86 right now....so, so great.  The little medley of "In the Lap of the Gods," "Seven Seas of Rhye" and "Tear It Up" near the beginning of the concert is phenomenal, and so is that little set of covers they do in the middle of the concert.  Queen rules. :hat

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2010, 07:38:17 AM »
For some reason, I could never get into innuendo. Someone want to give me tips on how to appreciate it?

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2010, 10:12:53 AM »
I just put it on beginning to end and loved it. Just remember that Mercury was fairly ill by this point, and there were a lot of emotions running through the band, but they still sound powerful, and Mercury's voice is still phenominal.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »
I just put it on beginning to end and loved it. Just remember that Mercury was fairly ill by this point, and there were a lot of emotions running through the band, but they still sound powerful, and Mercury's voice is still phenominal.

This. As a record itself, its good. But when you take into consideration Freddie was practically on his death bed at this point (he died less than a year after this album), the songs take on a whole new meaning. I always viewed this album (and parts of Made in Heaven too) as Freddie's "goodbye gift" to the world.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »
For some reason, I could never get into innuendo. Someone want to give me tips on how to appreciate it?

Well, like anything else, you can't force yourself to like it.  You either like it or you don't.  Maybe put it away for a while and then later revisit it.  And always skip "Delilah."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2010, 10:23:48 AM »
Even as he was dying, Mercury threw himself into his majestic, operatic singing. Queen's Brian May recalls that Mercury could hardly walk when the band recorded "The Show Must Go On" in 1990. "I said, 'Fred, I don't know if this is going to be possible to sing,' " May says. "And he went, 'I'll fucking do it, darling' - vodka down - and went in and killed it, completely lacerated that vocal."

/Rolling Stone
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Kosmo

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »
 :omg: Freddie truly was something.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »
Even as he was dying, Mercury threw himself into his majestic, operatic singing. Queen's Brian May recalls that Mercury could hardly walk when the band recorded "The Show Must Go On" in 1990. "I said, 'Fred, I don't know if this is going to be possible to sing,' " May says. "And he went, 'I'll fucking do it, darling' - vodka down - and went in and killed it, completely lacerated that vocal."

/Rolling Stone
:D :'(

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2010, 09:16:41 AM »

/Rolling Stone

That really is an awesome story.

That sad, Freddie really does sound a little sick on Innuendo. His vocals are OK, but not fantastic. His voice has a certain tone where you can tell he was struggling. That alone makes it sad.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2010, 09:18:06 AM »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »
DON'T TRY SUICIDE

NOBODY GIVES A DAMMMMNNNNN

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2010, 10:13:49 AM »
I wish I still had all my Queen. I lost most of my music with my computer... I want to listen to Hot Space for some reason...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »
Queen went through so many changes in style.  I'll be honest; I'm not a huge fan of their "leather cool" look, or some of the music from that period, but some of the stripped-down, funky stuff like "Another One Bites the Dust" and "Dragon Attack" is awesome to crank up and rock out to.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »
DON'T TRY SUICIDE

NOBODY GIVES A DAMMMMNNNNN

"So you think it's the easy way out". :metal

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
Queen went through so many changes in style.  I'll be honest; I'm not a huge fan of their "leather cool" look, or some of the music from that period, but some of the stripped-down, funky stuff like "Another One Bites the Dust" and "Dragon Attack" is awesome to crank up and rock out to.

Definitely. The hits from all the different eras were good too. I have to admit, Queen is one of the few classic rock bands where the hit songs don't make me want to hit my head with a shovel.

The Game through A Kind of Magic was spotty... some great songs mixed in with some subpar ones. I felt The Miracle and Innuendo were big steps above the previous 80s albums... its a shame we never got to see where Queen could go after that. :(

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »
Don't Stop Me Now is probably my all time favourite Queen song and a personal favourite of all time. So much energy is in that song, especially in Freddy's performance.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2011, 08:23:06 AM »
The new Queen remasters have caught my eye, especially since I don't have a lot of their discography (actually, only two albums and a greatest hits....).

I'm interested to find out what kind of job has been done on these remasters though. Have they been handled with care, or brickwalled?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »
Don't Stop Me Now is probably my all time favourite Queen song and a personal favourite of all time. So much energy is in that song, especially in Freddy's performance.
I agree, it's a fantastic song. It's timeless.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Kosmo

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2011, 01:09:36 PM »
Been on a crazy Queen spree again. For some reason i've never really given Jazz that much credit but it's amazing..

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2011, 01:48:10 PM »
I've never been much of a Queen fan, but on a whim, I decided to download Queen II.  Holy fuck.  Easily one of the best albums I've ever heard.  I had no idea Queen sounded this way.  White Queen (As it Began) is amazing (as is every other track on the album). 

I've since been watching a lot of Queen live videos.  Freddie Mercury has to be one of the greatest frontmen in all of rock.  It's sad knowing I'll never ever get to experience a real Queen concert. :(

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
Been on a crazy Queen spree again. For some reason i've never really given Jazz that much credit but it's amazing..
It's such a feel good album. It makes me want to get on my bike and ride.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »
I've never been much of a Queen fan, but on a whim, I decided to download Queen II.  Holy fuck.  Easily one of the best albums I've ever heard.  I had no idea Queen sounded this way.  White Queen (As it Began) is amazing (as is every other track on the album).  

I've since been watching a lot of Queen live videos.  Freddie Mercury has to be one of the greatest frontmen in all of rock.  It's sad knowing I'll never ever get to experience a real Queen concert. :(

In 1982 I had a chance to go a Queen concert(Hot Space tour). I was14 years old but my parents said I was too young to go with friends alone.  A year later they let me go to concerts and Queen never toured the States again.  The one band I truly wanted to see.  Oh well.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2011, 06:11:11 PM »
Queen II is awesome. It's a shame that Queen started playing only their most popular material later on.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
Queen II has and always will be my favorite Queen album. Absolutely amazing.

The new Queen remasters have caught my eye, especially since I don't have a lot of their discography (actually, only two albums and a greatest hits....).

I'm interested to find out what kind of job has been done on these remasters though. Have they been handled with care, or brickwalled?

Queen remasters? Do you mean the early 90s ones, or something else? I hadn't heard about any remasters, but maybe they were an exclusive Asian release?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
Queen II has and always will be my favorite Queen album. Absolutely amazing.

Queen remasters? Do you mean the early 90s ones, or something else? I hadn't heard about any remasters, but maybe they were an exclusive Asian release?

It's because they just switched from EMI to Universal... they've been all over Queen's facebook. But yeah, these are new ones. They're done by Bob Ludwig so should be OK.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2011, 10:56:35 PM »
As a general rule, I dislike Queen a great deal.  I really can't stand much of what you hear on the radio, and I'm not too crazy about the lesser known studio stuff.  Now having said that, Rocks Montreal is a motherfucker of a concert.  I watch it all the time.  There's plenty of other old footage that's just damn good, as well.  I've come to regard them as a fantastic live band.  A pretty nice development since I can actually appreciate their abundance of talent now. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2011, 10:59:38 PM »
That DVD was my intro to taking Queen seriously. And yeah, it's awesome  ;D