Author Topic: McCutcheon v. FEC  (Read 1860 times)

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: McCutcheon v. FEC
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
That might depend upon what was being proposed, but frankly, it's what militaries in modern governments do. They're a moderate force. I've known quite a few people who have joined the military, and I couldn't see a single one of them supporting "the government" over "the people." And that's where the debate is right now, as we're talking about corruption and the undermining of our democratic system. What that democratic system should do, is another debate, and probably not so clean.
A single one will almost certainly think that way, but what we're talking about is all of them collectively. As you know the collective behaves differently than the individual. Furthermore, the military fosters compartmentalization. Questioning orders isn't what makes for good soldiers. Thinking about why you're doing something is just as bad. Some of them will certainly be well enough informed to know what's going on, but plenty of them will also buy into the "radical anti-government anarchists trying to take over the United States" line that they're told. I don't think you're necessarily wrong, I just think it'd be more divided than you think.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »
No more divided than the actual American Revolution was.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »
That might depend upon what was being proposed, but frankly, it's what militaries in modern governments do. They're a moderate force. I've known quite a few people who have joined the military, and I couldn't see a single one of them supporting "the government" over "the people." And that's where the debate is right now, as we're talking about corruption and the undermining of our democratic system. What that democratic system should do, is another debate, and probably not so clean.
A single one will almost certainly think that way, but what we're talking about is all of them collectively. As you know the collective behaves differently than the individual. Furthermore, the military fosters compartmentalization. Questioning orders isn't what makes for good soldiers. Thinking about why you're doing something is just as bad. Some of them will certainly be well enough informed to know what's going on, but plenty of them will also buy into the "radical anti-government anarchists trying to take over the United States" line that they're told. I don't think you're necessarily wrong, I just think it'd be more divided than you think.

I never said anything about it being not divided. But divisiveness is not the same thing as violence.

And I think you take far too pessimistic of an approach to the military. The ones I know most who have gone into the military didn't just go enlist, they went to academies and universities. Forget the Pentagon and the top tier generals. Forget the peons. Think about the middle commanders. What are they going to do?