Poll

Pick One!

Yes - I would gladly watch the whole 12-Step Suite!!!
No - Wanting TGP isn't worth getting the rest of the suite.

Author Topic: Would you sit through the whole 12-Step Suite just to hear TGP live?  (Read 6149 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Would you sit through the whole 12-Step Suite just to hear TGP live?
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 05:52:15 AM »
Actually, I'd sit through anything if they came back to Australia again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 06:10:17 AM »
TGP is my favourite song in the suite at the moment, but I do rather like the suite, so I would gladly enjoy it live. That being said, I find it hard to imagine not enjoying any DT material live.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 07:04:49 AM »
I would sit through the whole 12-Step Suite just to hear the whole 12-Step Suite live.

Yep, thats exactly how I feel. I'd love to hear the whole 12 Step Suite.  TGP is a great song, I personally really like TROAE and TDS. Repentance would work as a nice contrast to the heaviness, and just having seen DT perform TSF, I know it rocks in a live setting....

So, yes I would welcome the opportunity to sit through the whole Suite.  Especially if it was an Evening With Tour just like the current one. It would still allow time for other songs, similar to how the Awake and SFAM anniversary tributes are a big time commitment, set list wise on this tour, but there still is plenty of time for other tunes.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 08:05:08 AM »
12SS sounds like like it would work well if it was split, like ACOS on the FII tour.

That could be pretty cool.  Play them in order, but spread out over the course of the entire show.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 08:07:09 AM »
I would sit through the whole 12-Step Suite just to hear the whole 12-Step Suite live.

Yep, thats exactly how I feel. I'd love to hear the whole 12 Step Suite.  TGP is a great song, I personally really like TROAE and TDS. Repentance would work as a nice contrast to the heaviness, and just having seen DT perform TSF, I know it rocks in a live setting....

So, yes I would welcome the opportunity to sit through the whole Suite.  Especially if it was an Evening With Tour just like the current one. It would still allow time for other songs, similar to how the Awake and SFAM anniversary tributes are a big time commitment, set list wise on this tour, but there still is plenty of time for other tunes.

I could see the suite being the second set, followed by a long encore.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 08:43:14 AM »
I honestly dont think the playing the whole suite is really that big of a deal in terms of diversifying the set.  Each song would represent a different album.  Sure the songs (mostly TSF) have parts that from the other songs, but its really just 40+ minutes of DT music that spans through their catalogue.  Most of the songs are on the heavier side, but at a DT show they usually play at least 5 of their heavier songs anyway.

So compare this:

TGP
TDS
TROAL
Repentance
TSF

with thisL

TGD
HTF
Panic Attack
TMOLS (probably the closest comparison to Repentance from Systematic Chaos)
ANTR

Obviously some people would prefer certain songs over others, but you'll have that regardles of what DT plays at any show.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »
I could see the suite being the second set, followed by a long encore.

Yep, agreed. Really it would be similar to this tour.  Maybe have the first set be a mixture of new album material (assuming this hypothetical set list is for a hypothetical tour to support a hypothetical new album) and older classic "deep cuts" and recent singles. That would make for a nicely balanced, diverse first set, with proper attention paid to the new material.  Then, come out and do the 12 Step Suite to start the second set. Then close the show out with a good closer (maybe new material similar to IT or a DT standard like PMU or Metropolis).  Then some encore about the same length as what they are doing this tour with the SFAM stuff, which really is almost a 30 minute encore. So that would allow time to do an older epic as an encore, possibly Octavarium or ACOS.

I'd be down with that show.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 09:00:53 AM »
my thoughts exactly

Although lets face it, its more of an MP thing than a DT thing, so they aren't ever going to do it all without doing a special one off reunion show with him.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »
Bad topic premise is bad.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Grizz

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »
I am one of the few who would not like that whole thing live. First of all, the thing is an hour long. Not only that, the reprisals of the previous themes is ok when you hear them in context of a specific album, but when you hear the songs all back-to-back, the reprisals become rather annoying and repetitive. A friend of mine once prepared an mp3 of the whole thing; it was not very enjoyable.
What about my previous idea:
12SS sounds like like it would work well if it was split, like ACOS on the FII tour.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
I'd be pretty pumped to see the whole suite live  :metal I just saw them in Red Bank, NJ and TSF was excellent live  :tup

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 11:38:23 AM »
Yeah, I dug "The Shattered Fortress" live last week.  Jordan Rudess slayed it  :metal

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 11:54:56 AM »
Yes! I would!

Yeah, I dug "The Shattered Fortress" live last week.  Jordan Rudess slayed it  :metal
Me too :).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »

Interesting.  For some reason, I figured you would have been a bit down on the 12SS songs.  I know you like some metal, but if I am not mistaken, you are more of a prog fan who likes some metal vs. being a hardcore metalhead, no?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 12:49:06 PM »

Interesting.  For some reason, I figured you would have been a bit down on the 12SS songs.  I know you like some metal, but if I am not mistaken, you are more of a prog fan who likes some metal vs. being a hardcore metalhead, no?

I go about 50/50 these days, but I cut my teeth on Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Sabbath/Ozzy, etc.  And I still have quite a bit of metal in my collection.  Some of my modern favorites are Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Andromeda, Star One, Bruce Dickinson, Savatage, Circle II Circle, Circus Maximus, Fates Warning, Edguy, and many more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »
I agree. Want really a fan if the song but it killed live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »
So compare this:

TGP
TDS
TROAL
Repentance
TSF

with thisL

TGD
HTF
Panic Attack
ANTR

Your alternate/equivalent heavy tracklist is absolute win, I think I'd prefer that over the 12SS, but the novelty of seeing the 12SS might make it seem a bit more exciting/unique/special.

Actually, this. I'd probably be happy with a set of You not Me, Burning my Soul, Anna Lee, Never Enough, Profits of War, The Ones Who Helped To Set The Sun and Status Seeker if it was DT playing in my country.  :azn:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »

Actually, this. I'd probably be happy with a set of You not Me, Burning my Soul, Anna Lee, Never Enough, Profits of War, The Ones Who Helped To Set The Sun and Status Seeker if it was DT playing in my country.  :azn:

LOL. As much as I would love DT to visit the Philippines even just once, what a sucky experience to hear all of that in one concert.  :lol

I am listening to the 12SS now. It's quite good (although I would prefer a more melodic suite). The problem with playing this live, though, is that TSF, as good as it is as a standalone, would sound redundant when 12SS is played in its entirety.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »

LOL. As much as I would love DT to visit the Philippines even just once, what a sucky experience to hear all of that in one concert.  :lol

I am listening to the 12SS now. It's quite good (although I would prefer a more melodic suite). The problem with playing this live, though, is that TSF, as good as it is as a standalone, would sound redundant when 12SS is played in its entirety.

Id actually like to see that set list only for the fact that those are mostly songs they never play.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »

This , even though the 12SS contains a whole swag of my least favourite DT songs .......and I'm much more a metal head than I am into classic prog rock.

If I could put in a request for a suite I'll go for 12AS (12 album suite)..............something like this

The Killing Hand or Afterlife
Metropolis Pt 1
A Mind Beside Itself
Hell's Kitchen
Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy
Misunderstood
As I Am
Never Enough  :P
Forsaken
A Rite of Passage
Breaking All Illusions
Illumination Theory

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2014, 08:09:44 PM »

DREAM THEATER RETURNS TO AUSTRALIAAAAAAA!

A SPECIAL EVENING WITH DREAM THEATERRRRR
HEAR THE GODS OF PROGRESSIVE METUHL PAY TRIBUTE TO ONE OF POWER METAL'S FINEST ALBUUUUMS

THE CRUCIBLE OF MAN BY ICED EARRRRRRRTH

ONE. NIGHT. ONLY.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »
Not that I would ever bother doing that myself, but I'm sure that if you cut down the 5-song suite down to the length of a, say, 3 songs, I think it would become a concise and interesting thing to listen to in its entirety. The biggest problem (IMHO) in its current form is that Mike early on got "epic-titis", and so while TGP consumed 3 of the 12 steps, instead of maybe doing 5 for the next song (thus keeping the total number of songs maybe at 3), he actually had TDS consume only *2*. So, two songs in he wasn't even halfway through the steps.
As Mike later admitted himself in an interview, the remaining steps became a chore. He couldn't step up the pace without making it look he was trying to kill it off. And so you get an hour of what really should have been half an hour.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »
I love the suite so if they busted out the full thing in the middle of the set i'd be pleased. If they only played like 3 songs from the new album and then finished the set with 12 Steps, i'd be pleased. It's an awesome chunk of metal, and I even made an edit of TDS with the Endless Sacrifice jam spliced in, so you just have to be a fan of mindless shredding metal awesomeness I guess.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2014, 10:50:54 AM »
So compare this:

TGP
TDS
TROAL
Repentance
TSF

with thisL

TGD
HTF
Panic Attack
ANTR

Wow, both of these are amazing. I'd still lean slightly to 12SS because I've seen most of the others live already and I'm not a huge fan of TGD. Would love to see HTF live though. That's a top 15 song for me.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »
Of course. I like whole 12 Step Suite.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
The Glass Prison is one of the DT tracks I don't like - so that would be a no.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2014, 01:20:23 PM »
TGP is my favourite song in the suite at the moment, but I do rather like the suite, so I would gladly enjoy it live. That being said, I find it hard to imagine not enjoying any DT material live.

Completely agree execpt for maybe Anna Lee and about two thirds of Systematic Chaos.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2014, 06:19:35 PM »

Id actually like to see that set list only for the fact that those are mostly songs they never play.

Oh me too, even though it was a joke, I genuinely would like to see all of those songs.  :lol

Completely agree execpt for maybe Anna Lee and about two thirds of Systematic Chaos.

But Anna Lee is like.. The Beetles, it's a gem. :P

Would love to see HTF live though. That's a top 15 song for me.

Yeah, Honor Thy Father is top 5 for me. It's just such a memorable piece, and it's the heaviest thing DT has ever written (imo). The Riffage is just amazing, incredible, so energetic. I really hope DT bring is back some day, it's a forgotten masterpiece.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2014, 08:11:15 AM »
Yeah, sure, bring it on, I'll listen to whatever they play.

But I think that wasting an hour on that suite is something that this incarnation of the band would have little interest in doing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »
I would listen to the first three tracks then go to the washroom.