Poll

Pick One!

Yes - I would gladly watch the whole 12-Step Suite!!!
No - Wanting TGP isn't worth getting the rest of the suite.

Author Topic: Would you sit through the whole 12-Step Suite just to hear TGP live?  (Read 6150 times)

Offline The Letter M

So I just had a thought - what if they finally brought "The Glass Prison" back to the live set, but it was part of the whole Twelve-Step Suite. Would you guys be OK with that?

I mean, theoretically you could just leave after TGP or wherever in the suite and come back later - but why would you, it's DREAM THEATER MUSIC!!! :metal

Anyways, the question is simple - would you be ok with the Twelve-Step Suite (taking up over 55 minutes of the show) just to get TGP again?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Would you sit through the whole 12-Step Suite just to hear TGP live?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:59:18 PM »
Well, considering I think TSF and TROAE are better than TGP, I'd say it wouldn't even be the highlight of the suite, so yes, I'd gladly sit through it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:01:35 PM »
I think it'd be cool to hear the suite live anyway.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »
I think it'd be cool to hear the suite live anyway.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:29:41 PM »
It would not be my preference to have the suite played live at a show I was at. Don't know if I would get up to piss during it, but I do not think it would be a good decision to perform in its entirety.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
Having never experienced the 12 Step Suite live, I'd happily take it as a whole. But it would have nothing to do with TGP, which to me, is NOT aging very well at all. My favorite in the Suite is easily TDS. I'm not even that fond of TROAE  or Repentence. Having just seen TSF live last week, that's a great song live, even if I wasn't crazy about it when it came out.

If the second set of the next leg was indeed The 12 Step Suite, I'd be fine with that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
"No, Wanting TGP isn't worth getting the rest of the suite."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 02:03:19 PM »
mostly, I want to hear EDIT: Repentence (oops) -- but the whole suite would still be amazing.  Having seen the TGP and TDS played consecutively in Anaheim, I can tell you that there is a distinct impact when played in order.  When the TGP riffs reprise in TDS, oh my-- brace yourself!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:32:46 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »
mostly, I want to hear Redemption -- but the whole suite would still be amazing.  Having seen the TGP and TDS played consecutively in Anaheim, I can tell you that there is a distinct impact when played in order.  When the TGP riffs reprise in TDS, oh my-- brace yourself!
I'm a big fan of Redemption too. Love Ray Alder.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 02:35:38 PM »
I'd love to her the full suite, but getting to hear TGP doesn't make it more exciting because that's actually one of my least fav DT songs.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »
Ive seen all of suite live except TGP and TDS so yea Id sit through it.  Or maybe just watch the beginning since I can say I saw Repentance  :biggrin:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »
If I were writing a setlist, and I could either put on the whole Twelve Step Suite or skip The Glass Prison entirely, I'd probably just skip it. But if I were at a gig and they launched into it I'd stay for the whole thing.

If I were in charge of all DT setlists, I'd do Twelve Step once, record it, release it as an EP, and leave it at that. Alternatively, if we are having it for the whole tour, I'd absolutely go to town on set design to justify it. Make it a proper audiovisual experience, throw in extra nick-nacks, segues between the songs, choir for Repentance - make it more than the sum of the five songs. Cos as they are, I'd imagine it'd be absolutely tiring. Really tell the story, bring the tracks to life.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »
I guess I don't really understand the question, since it seems to imply that seeing the entire suite is somehow a bad thing.  I mean, I would probably prefer something different than seeing the entire thing if it were entirely up to me to design a set.  But if they played it, great.

(Not that it'll happen anyway, because I highly doubt it ever will)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »
I guess I don't really understand the question, since it seems to imply that seeing the entire suite is somehow a bad thing.  I mean, I would probably prefer something different than seeing the entire thing if it were entirely up to me to design a set.  But if they played it, great.

Quality-wise, no. I'm not implying the whole suite is BAD, per se, but the fact that it would take up nearly an hour of the show could be a bad thing to some fans who'd want a little more variety.

And there have been a lot of fans lately on here who have wanted to see TGP brought back in to the set list, but TSF was played instead, which is about as close as we've gotten, really.

More or less I was asking if you got to see TGP, would it be worth hearing the other four songs in the show with it just to hear TGP, knowing full-well you could have gotten 40-minutes worth of OTHER songs to hear.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »
They could open with The Glass Prison then play You Not Me on a loop for the next 145 min. and it'd still be the greatest concert of my life.

But seriously, I'd give up as much set time as possible just to have that song played live, including the entirety of the 12-Step Suite. And I don't like Repentance much at all. They allotted enough time for it this time around, but picked the other end of the Suite, which isn't a bad song at all and it'll fun as hell live, but I'm willing to bet if DT took a snapshot poll, more people would vote for TGP to be played rather than TSF, whether it  was never played before this tour or not. Hell, I'd bet hard money that'd be the outcome of that poll. That song has got to be BRUTAL live. They could keep the same format of the first set for the second legs of Europe/NA/Asia and switch TSF with TGP and make everyone happy  :biggrin:

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »
Absolutely not. How about just TGP and not the rest?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »
They could open with The Glass Prison then play You Not Me on a loop for the next 145 min. and it'd still be the greatest concert of my life.

But seriously, I'd give up as much set time as possible just to have that song played live, including the entirety of the 12-Step Suite. And I don't like Repentance much at all. They allotted enough time for it this time around, but picked the other end of the Suite, which isn't a bad song at all and it'll fun as hell live, but I'm willing to bet if DT took a snapshot poll, more people would vote for TGP to be played rather than TSF, whether it  was never played before this tour or not. Hell, I'd bet hard money that'd be the outcome of that poll. That song has got to be BRUTAL live. They could keep the same format of the first set for the second legs of Europe/NA/Asia and switch TSF with TGP and make everyone happy  :biggrin:

Well, minority or not, I still prefer TSF to TGP, so I'm happy with the current turnout.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 05:09:58 PM »
Went with the "no" option. As much as I like the songs on the 12SS (except for TDS which I despise), it would be overwhelming to listen to that much heaviness in a row - even considering Repentance is in there. However, if I was at the show and I didn't know the setlist before hand, I guess I'd go through it and enjoy it the most possible. In short, it's not something I'd ask for.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »
Considering that I've already seen TGP several times, I'd have no reason to "sit through the whole 12-Step Suite just to hear TGP live". BUT, having never heard the entire suite live, and not having seen the one performance that DT did of Repentance (thus far), I'd love to see the whole suite.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »
Would I sit through the 12SS...  :lol Wow, probably not. I'd probably be on my feet screaming for about an hour and then either have a nap during Repentance or still be inappropriately noisy during. But seriously, I'd be completely engaged for the entire hour if they played it.

Offline krands85

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 05:27:08 PM »
Well I've already seen TROAE and TSF, plus I've never been a fan of Repentance. I love TDS and TGP, but there are plenty of other songs I'd prefer to see live one day, so I'd probably vote no. It would still be cool to see though and I definitely would have voted yes had I not seen any of the suite thus far.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 05:34:16 PM »
I have already seen Root and Fortress, I only kind of like Repentance and neither TGP nor TDS rank high in my to-see list. So, I wouldn't be overly pleased if the band decided to play the whole suite head to tail, but of course I would sit through it.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Grizz

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 07:31:33 PM »
12SS sounds like like it would work well if it was split, like ACOS on the FII tour.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 07:41:13 PM »
Well I haven't even seen DT live before. I like all songs from the 12SS, and listening to it in its entirety sounds pretty damn great.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
The Glass Prison isn't anywhere near the top of my list of songs I want to hear live. I would sit through the 12 Step Suite because it would be entertaining enough live, but I would much much rather them play 55 minutes of better songs. Which option do I choose? Neither is my opinion  :lol
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 08:43:43 PM »
The answer is yes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »
I am one of the few who would not like that whole thing live. First of all, the thing is an hour long. Not only that, the reprisals of the previous themes is ok when you hear them in context of a specific album, but when you hear the songs all back-to-back, the reprisals become rather annoying and repetitive. A friend of mine once prepared an mp3 of the whole thing; it was not very enjoyable.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »

Aren't DT and the Winery Dogs playing the same day, same stage this summer...at Sionosphere? Talk about a perfect opportunity to surprise the heck out of people. But I doubt enough time has passed to heal ALL of the wounds that split opened.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 10:13:06 PM »
I guess I don't really understand the question, since it seems to imply that seeing the entire suite is somehow a bad thing. 

That. It's a loaded question.

Of COURSE I would want to see the 12SS and TGP! Why the fuck not?
I'll take that over the current setlist thnx.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 10:46:57 PM »
I am one of the few who would not like that whole thing live. First of all, the thing is an hour long. Not only that, the reprisals of the previous themes is ok when you hear them in context of a specific album, but when you hear the songs all back-to-back, the reprisals become rather annoying and repetitive. A friend of mine once prepared an mp3 of the whole thing; it was not very enjoyable.

Same here.  Plus, I am not that big on This Dying Soul and The Root of All Evil, and while I like Repentance, I can't see it being a great live song, so...that would be nearly 30 minutes of live stuff that wouldn't be that great, to me.  And while I like both The Glass Prison and The Shattered Fortress a lot, neither are among my favorites, so I will go with no on this one, too. 

Aren't DT and the Winery Dogs playing the same day, same stage this summer...at Sionosphere?

I think they are not playing on the same day.  I am pretty sure I read that somewhere (don't ask me where :lol).

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 10:59:50 PM »
It would not be my preference to have the suite played live at a show I was at. Don't know if I would get up to piss during it, but I do not think it would be a good decision to perform in its entirety.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 02:31:11 AM »
I would sit through the whole 12-Step Suite just to hear the whole 12-Step Suite live.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:37 AM »
I would sit through the whole 12-Step Suite just to hear the whole 12-Step Suite live.
I don't think It'd be worth it just for that.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 05:49:25 AM »

:tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.