Author Topic: Accompanying a soloist on piano (or guitar, etc.)  (Read 1402 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Accompanying a soloist on piano (or guitar, etc.)
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »
I started playing the piano when I was 10 years old, and added various band instruments later.  In junior high and high school, there were the school talent shows, and also Solo and Ensemble Festival.  As one of a handful of people who played the piano, I was often asked to accompany both singers and instrumentalists.  I loved doing that.  I had the freedom to "be the orchestra" and pretty much do whatever I wanted, because everyone's attention was on the soloist.  In fact, if I did my job well, no one really noticed me, but the soloist did better because they could count on me to follow them and be there for them.  For classical stuff, it was more structured and I couldn't vary from the script much, but even then, I knew that as long as I was playing something in the right key with the right chords, we'd be fine.  And with popular music, the challenge was filling in all the stuff that they don't write out in the sheet music.  Adding rhythm and motion, dynamics, giving the soloist everything they need to give a great "unplugged" rendition of the song, or maybe even more than that.  Once in a while, someone might mention that I did a good job, but really, it wasn't about me, and I was probably enjoying myself more than anyone else in the room.

Last Sunday, our Youth Director Shannon sang a song in church that I'd never heard before (not unusual) and she'd asked me to accompany her.  She didn't have any sheet music; she'd written down some chords that she'd worked out but half of them turned out to be wrong.  All I had to go on was a YouTube video of a band doing the song, three days to come up with something, and one rehearsal.  Whoa.

Fortunately, the song wasn't that hard, and while a lot of the chords were wrong, I had the key and an idea of the basic tonality to work with.  It was a starting point.  Typical Christian Rock song.  Starts mellow, then the drums and electric guitars come in, it rocks a bit harder than you might think, then a bridge, repeat the chorus, and out.  I actually like taking something like that and finding a way to "be the band" on just the 88 keys.  We rehearsed it, we did it in church last Sunday (nine days ago), and it was cool.  She's a great singer and I love playing for her.

This past Sunday (two days ago), someone came up to me to tell me how much she enjoyed my piano playing last week.  She said that Shannon is a great singer (which is true), but it was almost more interesting hearing what I'd done to accompany her.  The dynamics, the changes, everything.  I don't remember her exact words, but whoa.  She had tried to find me after the service, but I disappeared before she could catch me, but she had to tell me how great it was.

So that's always nice to hear, but also a quandry.  I really do put a lot of thought into my arrangements, and I give it everything I have.  But I'm also used to not being recognized for it, so it caught me off guard to get complimented on it, especially so emphatically.  I thanked her for the comments, of course, and told her that Shannon had picked the song, and I was happy to play for her.  And it's fun to "be the band" and all the stuff I've just said here, so I'm glad she liked it.  She wasn't satisfied with that.  She wanted to make sure I knew that she was really, really impressed by what I'd done.  Um... okay, thanks.  There was nothing weird going on; I know her and her husband, and they're good people.  As a musician, she could tell what I'd done, and wanted to make sure I knew that the effort was appreciated.

Okay, I guess this turned into a brag thread.  But I think I like accompanying people, playing second fiddle, more than soloing.  There's freedom in not having the spotlight on you, but doing something that still makes a difference and is noticed and, sometimes, even recognized.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Accompanying a soloist on piano (or guitar, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 06:16:04 AM »
Really interesting read and I can see where you're coming from. It's good to hear you getting some positive feedback as well.

I'm in a similarish situation. Church on a Sunday is the only place I play these days (due to life changes that I won't bore you with).

I was in Church and the band was struggling. The church itself was very supportive during my life so I figured "I have a skill set - I should help." So I joined in and it has improved dramatically. That isn't intended as a brag as such but I have been playing nigh on 25 years whereas the band at my church are pretty much just hobbyists.

I do see where you're coming from with the arrangements. We don't have a drummer. In fact it was just me, a bass player and a singer so I really had to think about how to flesh out the arrangements without just "chord bashing" which sadly seems to be what most guitar players are relegated to in church.

I do get thanked quite a lot for the difference my playing made to the band at church and it's really nice to hear. It's a strange environment as you're playing regularly and there is an unspoken performance aspect even though you're not really supposed to be playing to an audience.

Anyway - good to read your story and nice to hear you're getting the gratitude you deserve  ;D
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:26:17 AM »
It's a strange environment as you're playing regularly and there is an unspoken performance aspect even though you're not really supposed to be playing to an audience.

That adds an extra level, doesn't it?  It's not about the applause; you're serving, not performing.  But it's still nice to be recognized.  Our church has reached the point where it's okay to applaud sometimes, but most of the time, people try to catch you after the service to say something.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »
It does. I have pointed out to the other peeps in the band that the should approach their parts as though they were performing - in other words it should be that polished.

I get hideous stage fright but on the flip side I never regard playing at church in that way. It doesn't make me nervous. It's a very strange dynamic.

When I have been to services and it's noticeable that some musicians are performing it can actually make me feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, there is a "it's good enough" attitude in some places where anyone and everyone is encouraged to get up and have a go. It's a very strange environment to be a musician in. Unlike any other really.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:53 PM »
But I think I like accompanying people, playing second fiddle, more than soloing.  There's freedom in not having the spotlight on you, but doing something that still makes a difference and is noticed and, sometimes, even recognized.

That's why I like playing bass guitar.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 07:37:26 AM »
I totally understand that.  Generalizations are dangerous, but I think there really is some truth to the idea that certain personalities are drawn to certain functions within an ensemble.  Most singers and guitarists are extroverts and born to be the front man.  That's fine; you need someone to do that.  But many musicians are introverted.  Most bassists I've known are really chill.  Let the singers and guitarists get the spotlight; I'm in the back row making jokes and making faces with the bassist and drummer, and probably having more fun.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:08:54 AM »
I totally understand that.  Generalizations are dangerous, but I think there really is some truth to the idea that certain personalities are drawn to certain functions within an ensemble.  Most singers and guitarists are extroverts and born to be the front man.  That's fine; you need someone to do that.  But many musicians are introverted.  Most bassists I've known are really chill.  Let the singers and guitarists get the spotlight; I'm in the back row making jokes and making faces with the bassist and drummer, and probably having more fun.

That depends on that personality type too.
The extrovert probably wouldn't have as much fun as you do being in the back playing a support role, just as the more introverted musician wouldn't enjoy being upfront as the center of attention. The singers and lead guitarists have their fun connecting to the audience and soaking up the attention.
But again, generalizations. I know people who have just as much fun in either role, although they're largely extroverts to begin with. The same may not hold as true for introverts.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:17:49 AM »
Yeah, it seems to me that extroverts would probably do better in either role than introverts.  Extroverted musicians can still find artistic fulfillment in a support role and get their rush vicariously, whilst an introverted musician put up front is out of his/her comfort zone and probably not having as good of a time.  In general.