Author Topic: DT songs lyrical meanings  (Read 5162 times)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
DT songs lyrical meanings
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:48:54 PM »
So, I was browsing my documents and I found this one that I made sometime ago. I updated it with DT12 and I figured I'd post it here. Tell me what you think.

-WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE:

A FORTUNE IN LIES:
About a friend of the band who was arrested for stealing and what he learned from the experience.

STATUS SEEKER.
About how no one takes a band seriously if it's not signed to a record label.

THE KILLING HAND:
About a war. The narrator witnesses the horrible atrocities of the war, and finally finds out he was the one causing it.

LIGHT FUSE AND GET AWAY:
About using someone for sex.

AFTERLIFE:
About life after death. (DUH!)

THE ONES WHO HELP TO SET THE SUN:
About a guy who falls asleep while driving and dreams about how his loved ones would be affected by his death. He then really dies at the end of the song.

ONLY A MATTER OF TIME:
About taking risks in order to find greater happiness in the end

-IMAGES AND WORDS:

PULL ME UNDER:
About death in general. Inspired by the Hamlet.

ANOTHER DAY:
About Petrucci's dad battle against cancer.

TAKE THE TIME:
About the time the band was going through in the past three years: searching for a new singer, new label and new management and all the frustration they went through.

SURROUNDED:
About some sort of realisation, warp from one state of mind to another and the feeling of it.

METROPOLIS PART 1 - THE MIRACLE AND THE SLEEPER
About the story of Victoria, Edward and Julian Baynes, further explained in Scenes From A Memory.

UNDER A GLASS MOON:
Petrucci proposing to his wife.

WAIT FOR SLEEP:
About a Moore's friend who couldn't find something to believe in.

LEARNING TO LIVE:
About something to do with AIDS

-AWAKE:

6:00:
Inspired by a LaBrie's friend, Moore wrote 6:00 about people not trying to live their dream, and inviting them to do so.

CAUGHT IN A WEB:
About a person that's dealing with another person who has suppressed their feelings for a long time and has had enough of it, and understands that the only way to live life is from the inside out.

INNOCENCE FADED:
About growing up and losing the innocence and the feeling that the world is becoming too real for the firrst time.

A MIND BESIDE ITSELF:
Deals with paranoia, kind of a prequel to Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
I. Erotomania - a psychological condition where the sufferer believes that someone else is secretly in love with him.

II.Voices - point of view of a schizophrenic person.

III.The Silent Man - if we follow faith we can avoid problems, like the one in voices.

THE MIRROR:
Deals with Mike Portnoy alcohol problems.

LIE:
It's connected with The Mirror theme, talking more about betrayal and disillusionment.

LIFTING SHADOWS OFF A DREAM:
About the duality between man and woman, the spiritual side of the relationship and how they both can compliment one another.

SCARRED:
About God.

SPACE DYE-VEST:
About Kevin Moore's broken relationship and the confusion that it brings.

A CHANGE OF SEASONS:
Inspired by Mike Portnoy's mother's death, this songs talks about the circle of life, and revolves around the concept of "carpe diem".

-FALLING INTO INFINITY:

NEW MILLENIUM:
About change, getting start over again.

YOU NOT ME:
About a person who takes on another person's life, and the frustation that comes out of it.

PERUVIAN SKIES:
About a girl getting abused.

HOLLOW YEARS:
About growing up, getting mature and being happy

BURNING MY SOUL:
About rage and the people bringing it.

LINES IN THE SAND:
About how overly religious people miss the message of peace and love.

TAKE AWAY MY PAIN:
About Petrucci's father death after a battle with cancer.

JUST LET ME BREATHE:
About the record label  pressure on the creativity of the band

ANNA LEE:
Another song about child abuse, in general this time.

TRIAL OF TEARS:
About a personal journey, along the way to NY, expected to be a fucking amazing town, but realizing that it sucks.. very literal interpretation here

-SCENES FROM A MEMORY:

this is a concept album divided in scenes, so here is the story sum up:

SCENE ONE - "Regression":
Nicholas (main character) is going to do a regression therapy. Nicholas is slowly fading into another world.

SCENE TWO
I.Overture 1928
(Instrumental)
II.Strange Deja Vu
As Nicholas arrives in this other world, he visits a house. In a mirror, he sees Victoria Page. We learn that Nicholas dreams every night of Victoria, but he doesn't know why.
Victoria is afflicted by something, but we don't know what. Nicholas goes back to reality, and starts to investigate.

SCENE THREE
I.Through My Words
Nicholas realizes he was Victoria in his past life.
II.Fatal Tragedy
Nicholas meets an old man. The man tells him there was a murder, a young girl was killed. So we learn that Victoria was assassinated, but we don't know yet why. Nicholas understands that he can't live peacefully again until he solves this mystery.

SCENE FOUR - "Beyond This Life"
Nicholas goes back in time once again, and reads the newspaper about the murder. Apparently, Victoria was shot, a witness saw her body and the killer, he tried to help, but the murderer shot himself. In the pocket of the murderer there was a suicide note. There was written that he couldn't live a life with losing Victoria.

SCENE FIVE - "Through Her Eyes"
Back to the present, Nicholas visits Victoria's grave. He cries and he feels a lot of pain, like a beloved person died.

SCENE SIX - "Home"
This is about the love triangle that led to Victoria's death. Edward Baynes has got an addiction, probably gambling or alcohol. Because of this addiction Victoria doesn't wanna stay with him anymore, so she escapes to Edward's brother, Julian. The two end up getting together.

SCENE SEVEN
I.The Dance Of Eternity
This represents Edward and Victoria having le sexy time.

II.One Last Time
Back to the present, Nicholas is not convinced of what he saw. He then visit Edward's house, which holds a lot of clues. As he explores, he sees scenes from the fatal meeting Victoria was killed in. He doesn't realize what it's happening though because he soon fades back into counsciousness.

SCENE EIGHT - "The Spirit Carries On"
Nicholas finally realizes what happened, and he says that he's not arfraid of dying, because he understood death is not the end, but only a transition. He says goodbye to Victoria and then leaves.

SCENE NINE - "Finally Free"
We are in the past now, but not under Nicholas point of view. Edward is pissed off because Victoria left him for his brother, and he plans revenge. Victoria then rans into Julian, they plan on a meeting that night. At the meeting Edward comes out of nowhere and kills both Victoria and Julian. He then puts a note in Julian's pocket, and lies to the reporter. Back to the present, Nicholas is happy because he's finally free, and goes home to relax. As he listens to some relaxing tunes, he gets killed by the reincarnation of Julian, the hypnotherapist. PLOT TWIST!

-SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE:

THE GLASS PRISON:
First part of the Twelve Step Suite, involves the first three steps of the program: admitting to be powerless, needing the help of others, and have the will to change life.

BLIND FAITH:
About people who pronounce their faith, but they don't live thinking about it.

MISUNDERSTOOD:
About a religious figurehead.

THE GREAT DEBATE:
About stem cell research.

DISAPPEAR:
About how life could drasticly change, from good to painful.

SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE:
This is about six persons who are sick, each in a different way
I.Overture
(instrumental)

II.About to crash
About a girl who suffers of bipolar disorder.

III.War inside my head
About an ex-soldier who can't leave the "permanent psychotic hell" inside his head.

IV.The test that stumped em all
About a schizophrenic guy.

V.Goodnight kiss
About a mom whose baby died, and now suffers of post-partum depression

VI.Solitary shell
About a boy with relationship problems

VII.About to crash (reprise)
Same girl as the first part

VIII.Losing time/Grand finale
About a girl suffering from dissociative identity disorder, which brings her to amnesia.

-TRAIN OF THOUGHT:

AS I AM:
About accepting a person the way it is, not faking it.

THIS DYING SOUL:
About step 4 and 5 of the twelve step program

ENDLESS SACRIFICE:
About the difficulty of the families of the band members to stay away from them

HONOR THY FATHER:
About Portnoy's stepfather. He must be a fucking hateful person, huh?

VACANT:
About Labrie's daughter coma a few days before her 7th birthday

IN THE NAME OF GOD:
Against radical-muslims, or all people taking a religion and twisting it.

-OCTAVARIUM:

THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL:
Step 6 and 7 of the 12 step program.

THE ANSWER LIES WITHIN:
About being yourself, enjoying life.

THESE WALLS:
About being trapped in a situation, seeking help, but not receiving it.

I WALK BESIDE YOU:
About having faith in a person, friendship.

PANIC ATTACK:
About a panic attack. Obviousness FTW

NEVER ENOUGH:
About DT fans who never like anything they do.

SACRIFICED SONS:
About 9/11 attacks.

OCTAVARIUM:
This is the bomb guys. This is the shit. The main theme here is thing going "full circle"

I.Someone like him
About a person who doesn't want to live a normal life, he wants to do something special. He succedes doing it, and wonders how his life would be if he lived in a normal way and ends up wishing it.

II.Medicate (Awakening)
About a person who wakes up after a 30-years catatonic sleep, but slowly fades back into unconsciousness, and eventually slips back into coma, after the doctor tries to save him.

III.Full circle
Mike Portnoy's ode to progressive music. There are a lot of references here.

IV.Intervals
Sum-up of the songs of the record, each line dedicated to one song.

V.Razor's Edge
Epic ending, about things going in circles.

-SYSTEMATIC CHAOS:

IN THE PRESENCE OF ENEMIES:
About a person that is dying, and he falls in temptation. He then sells his soul to the devil and fight demons, until he realizes he was wrong all the time and  takes his soul back.

FORSAKEN:
About a guy getting visited by a vampiress at night, and she's sucking his blood without letting him notice, by showing him wonderful stuff.

CONSTANT MOTION:
About Mike Portnoy's state of mind, always thinking about ten different things at the time, the band, the family, the work to do ecc..

REPENTANCE:
Step 8 and 9 of the twelve step program. It deals with forgivness and regretness.

THE DARK ETERNAL NIGHT:
About a pharaoh who comes back to life under the form of a monster and haunts a town. God this album is brutal.

THE MINISTRY OF LOST SOULS:
About a person who's drowning, and another person actually saves him, but dies in the process.

PROPHETS OF WAR:
About the reason behind the Iraq War.

-BLACK CLOUDS AND SILVER LININGS:

A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER:
About a car crash John Petrucci was involved in as a child.

A RITE OF PASSAGE:
About freemasonry.

WITHER:
About the process of songwriting for John Petrucci

THE SHATTERED FORTRESS:
About the last 3 steps of the twelve step program.

THE BEST OF TIMES:
About the death of Mike Portnoy's father. R.I.P.

THE COUNT OF TUSCANY:
About the fear of dying when Petrucci met "the count of tuscany" in Italy.

-A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS:

ON THE BACKS OF ANGELS:
Deals with the modern economic crisis

BUILD ME UP, BREAK ME DOWN:
About how the fans of a star first worship him, and when something goes wrong they immideatly insult/break he down.

LOST NOT FORGOTTEN:
About the persian army.

THIS IS THE LIFE:
About how wrong it is dreaming to be someone else, instead of accepting who you really are.

BRIDGES IN THE SKY.
About a man whose soul partly died, and goes to a shaman to bring it back to life. This also features the first backing vocals of John Myung, at the very beginning of the song.

OUTCRY:
About the north african uprisings in 2011.

FAR FROM HEAVEN:
About pressure that parents are giving to their kids to let them become what they (the parents) want.

BREAKING ALL ILLUSIONS:
A sequel to far from heaven, about someone who succeded in his dreams

BENEATH THE SURFACE:
About a lost love, a person who was forgotten.

- DREAM THEATER:

FALSE AWAKENING SUITE:
although it's an instrumental, it was written for live concert purposes, and it serves as like an opening credits kind of thing

THE ENEMY INSIDE:
About post-traumatic stress disorder.

THE LOOKING GLASS:
About how young people these days are obsessed with fame.

ENIGMA MACHINE:
instrumental. Jordan wrote the riff in his bed at night.

THE BIGGER PICTURE:
About being able to understand a situation, even when it's very complex.

BEHIND THE VEIL:
About criminals, more precisely kidnappers.

SURRENDER TO REASON:
About overdoing problems in life using love and faith.

ALONG FOR THE RIDE:
About how much there's going on in the world that we can't control.

ILLUMINATION THEORY:
About things that we would live, kill and die for. Also about of how in order to feel completely satisfied in your life, you have to also suffer.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: DT songs lyrical meanings
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »
I.The Dance Of Eternity
This represents Edward and Victoria having le sexy time.

I don't know why this isn't everyone's favorite DT song.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »

ANOTHER DAY:
About Petrucci's dad battle against cancer.

TAKE AWAY MY PAIN:
About Petrucci's father death after a battle with cancer.

:(

Wow what a list though! Good job :tup Interesting stuff definitely, encourages me to pay more attention to the lyrics.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:26:46 PM »
Lost my shit at Bridges in the Sky  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Great list! Although I think Scarred is sort of about the way JP felt about KM's behavior during the Awake sessions and later departure, Metropolis Pt. 1 is about the Romus and Remulus story, I think Endless Sacrifice is strictly about how JP thought his wife most likely felt (but your case applies too, I think), Wither is about writers' block (which, according to JP, is not something he undergoes, at least frequently). And, well, Trial of Tears which I've never read a single confirmed meaning about.

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 05:13:26 PM »
I was under the impression that Take Away My Pain was about the death of Gene Kelly, a famous performer who starred in the film Singing in the Rain.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:18:19 PM »
Wow amazing list. There's a few that I'd like to add to or question but that's a LOT to think about and to take in, I might do it later.  :corn

Offline Grizz

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 06:09:21 PM »
This is amazing! But I think you were a little off on a couple.

METROPOLIS PART 1 - THE MIRACLE AND THE SLEEPER
About the story of Victoria, Edward and Julian Baynes, further explained in Scenes From A Memory.
I think that this works but only retroactively. As in, the story is less specific and more symbolic of some sort of quest between two linked persons that are one entity and other motifs, like love and the three dancing turtles dances that symbolize one's experience through death.

II.Voices - point of view of a schizophrenic person.
Actually, I think it's the conflict in ones head when first experiencing sexual intimacy and how it clashes with what they thought their morals were (IE Religion). I think that this makes it line up a bit better with the other two movements (The Silent Man questions man's faithfulness to, uh, faith).

I've always wondered what Another World and The Inevitable Summer were about. I know Another World starts off with the detachment of grief, but what's the hypocrites and mercy fuck part? Perhaps it's about Mike regaining his emotional independence and accepting his mother's fate.  I think that the inevitable summer is about acceptance as well, now that I think about it.

HOLLOW YEARS:
About growing up, getting mature and being happy
I think that it's about letting go of broken relationships, represented by the stone on ones shoulders.

I think that there's another twist to SFAM. Victoria was initially with Julian ("The Sleeper," who treated love so lazily, opting instead to drink and gamble, that he lost her) and then left him for Edward ("The Miracle," who saved her from her broken relationship). Edward is the one having sexy time in Home and The Dance of Eternity, and in Finally Free, Victoria decides to "Break free from the miracle" and return to the reformed Julian, because "their love [is] renewed." Then, whilst they "rendezvous, in a pathway out of view," a drunk and enraged Edward returns to kill them both. A scuffle occurs, Julian pulls a switchblade, and Edward shoots him. Victoria, who just witnessed this and was also responsible, looks into his eyes one last time to see the consequences of what she's done. Victoria and Julian then die in love, together (The One Last Time reprise), and become reincarnated as Nicholas and someone else, probably his wife. Then, in 1998, Nicholas can return to his life. Victoria's story has been told and he is "Finally Free." Then, in order to complete the cycle, due to circumstances within the context of 1998 that are never clarified (other than destiny), the hypnotherapist ("The Miracle" who helped Nicholas solved all this) goes and kills Nicholas.

VI.Solitary shell
About a boy with relationship problems
Autism, specifically.

VII.About to crash (reprise)
Same girl as the first part
Except from her point of view, instead of an unnamed male loved one.

VIII.Losing time/Grand finale
About a girl suffering from dissociative identity disorder, which brings her to amnesia.
The Grand Finale part serves in a manner similar to Octavarium's intervals, to summarize all of the stories and bring them all into one theme, in this case stigma and emotions vs. progress

AS I AM:
About accepting a person the way it is, not faking it.
Specifically, many lyrics are JP ranting about Mike Stone's unrequested efforts to give JP tips, which JP took offense to.
IN THE NAME OF GOD:
Against radical-muslims, or all people taking a religion and twisting it.
Not just Islamic radicals, the miltarism of all religions (The Crusades, Israel/Palestine)

IV.Intervals
Sum-up of the songs of the record, each line dedicated to one song.

V.Razor's Edge
Epic ending, about things going in circles.
These movements also serve to take every part of the album/song and tie the themes together.

BRIDGES IN THE SKY.
This also features the first backing vocals of John Myung, at the very beginning of the song.
:clap:

Now do the B-sides!
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »
On the point of Misunderstood, I read around on a lyrics website somewhere one listener's interpretation, saying that it had a lot to do with borderline personality disorder and having to deal with a constant fluctuation of different radical emotions.

Granted, that theory could be debunked on the grounds that there are several lines in the lyrics clearly alluding to Messiah-like characteristics regarding the narrator, but in context of a personality disorder, it still makes loads of sense.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
CAUGHT IN A WEB:
About a person that's dealing with another person who has suppressed their feelings for a long time and has had enough of it, and understands that the only way to live life is from the inside out.

And that someone would happen to be a person who was living with his aunt and uncle, until they died and he got bitten by a spider........
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
Nice thread. Let me share some of my thoughts:

CAUGHT IN A WEB:

I don't think the struggle here is with another person, but rather with society in general. My take on this is that this song is about somebody who has grown tired conforming to society, and has decided to live life on his own terms. And the result? He has been "removed from the world," "refused by the world" and has been "denied and misread." Very sociological problem, which is why this is one of my favorite DT lyrics.  :lol

MISUNDERSTOOD:
About a religious figurehead.

I think it is not really specifically a religious figurehead. I believe this is more about figurehead royalties, like the royal family of England. Where from ruling with Divine Right, they have been stripped of their real power but still given royalty celebrity status. The chorus is about their struggle as kings and queens with no real power:

"How can I feel abandoned even when the world surrounds me
How can I bite the hand that feeds the strangers all around me
How can I know so many, Never really knowing anyone"

My interpretation that this is really about figurehead royalty is anchored on these lines:

"Playing a lion being led to a cage" - reference to a king, a "lion,"
"I turn from a thief to a beggar"  - from somebody who used to be powerful who takes other people's resources "a thief" to somebody who is now dependent on other people's charity "a beggar"
"From a god to God save me" - from somebody who ruled by divine right "a god" to a celebrity "a God save" the Queen.

The "misunderstood" part is that people misunderstood the title of being a king or queen - that is being a "superhuman" - as the essence of being a king or queen. The real essence, however, is having power.

ILLUMINATION THEORY:
About things that we would live, kill and die for. Also about of how in order to feel completely satisfied in your life, you have to also suffer.

This is generally more about the paradox of life. That enlightenment - illumination - comes from the experience of darkness. That the feeling of life comes from the experience of struggle.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:49:57 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »
I heard someone say once that Misunderstood was about Jesus.

I know nothing about it, or if it's valid, but I thought it was an interesting perspective.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 04:54:23 AM »
Although I think Scarred is sort of about the way JP felt about KM's behavior during the Awake sessions and later departure
Innocence Faded is about that...

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 06:21:07 AM »
thank you all guys so much for the feedback, and thank you for your opinions too. I should mention that for the songs that I wasn't sure about I read some interpretation on songmeanings.net and chose the one that made most sense for me.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:38:10 AM »
I was told that Misunderstood was about JP having an existential crisis and believing he wasn't a god.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
Most of JPs lyrics meanings aren't just about him but have an overall general meaning.

Misunderstood is about being a figurehead, a leader, someone people look up to. They view you as a god, yet don't understand you yourself is just a man with problems.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
Goodnight Kiss is actually about Mike Portnoy's children.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
No, they provided the soundbytes at the beginning. 6DoiT (the song) is all about mental conditions, and we've yet to hear about any deceased Portnoy children.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 01:54:08 PM »
No way man. Max Portnoy is alive and kickin' in Next To None, I love those guys. And I don't know about Melody, but she's alive for sure too.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 02:39:05 PM »
I don't know if the mother in Goodnight Kiss is bereaved - always figured she's just struggling with post-natal depression. It's a suite about mental illness, I'd describe grief as mental wellness.

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 03:48:47 PM »
No, they provided the soundbytes at the beginning. 6DoiT (the song) is all about mental conditions, and we've yet to hear about any deceased Portnoy children.

Mike Portnoy said it himself in an interview. Can't find it anymore but he stated it himself. He wrote 2 songs on 6doit that reflects his personal life or that from his children.

Offline 425

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/aboutmike/faq/answers/13.aspx#316
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/aboutmike/faq/answers/13.aspx#378

"We knew once we had that we needed to come up with a concept that would tie it all together, so John and I came up with this idea of creating six different characters and each of us would write about three of them. So I wrote about three and John wrote about three. Basically, it's almost like a tour through an insane asylum where people are dealing with mental anguish, manic depression, and issues like that. So we created six different characters and tried to look at their different stories and differences in their lives, but yet the common thread that binds them all together."

"The children playing are Melody and Max Portnoy, and the goodnight kiss is Marlene and Melody Portnoy!"

Pretty sure it's not. He says right there that it's about fictional characters, and that it's just the audio samples that are from his family.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 12:28:03 AM »
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/aboutmike/faq/answers/13.aspx#316
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/aboutmike/faq/answers/13.aspx#378

"We knew once we had that we needed to come up with a concept that would tie it all together, so John and I came up with this idea of creating six different characters and each of us would write about three of them. So I wrote about three and John wrote about three. Basically, it's almost like a tour through an insane asylum where people are dealing with mental anguish, manic depression, and issues like that. So we created six different characters and tried to look at their different stories and differences in their lives, but yet the common thread that binds them all together."

"The children playing are Melody and Max Portnoy, and the goodnight kiss is Marlene and Melody Portnoy!"

Pretty sure it's not. He says right there that it's about fictional characters, and that it's just the audio samples that are from his family.

Dat zijn eigenlijk twee vragen ineen. Met betrekking tot je vraag over de kritiek, zou ik zeggen: die mensen luisteren blijkbaar niet naar de juiste nummers van ons. Natuurlijk zijn er nummers die hartstikke technisch zijn, maar we hebben ook hele ingetogen, emotionele nummers. Je tweede vraag, over de persoonlijke teksten: ik heb altijd graag teksten geschreven over dingen uit mijn leven die mij bezig houden. Het is therapeutisch voor mij. Ik bedoel, ik heb nummers geschreven over mijn alcoholproblemen en het gevecht daartegen, ik heb een nummer geschreven over mijn vader die overleed, over mijn moeder die overleed, ik schrijf over mijn kinderen in Goodnight Kiss en over andere familieleden in Honour Thy Father. Ik heb er geen moeite mee om dat op papier te zetten. Het werkt therapeutisch voor mij om het op die manier uit mijn systeem te krijgen.

Translate that to English, he said this in an interview 4 years ago.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 05:24:07 AM »
It just doesn't make sense with the lyrics or the big picture.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 08:28:47 AM »
I'd imagine whoever originally translated that into Dutch made errors, because there's almost no way that song is about his children.

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 08:47:27 AM »
I'd imagine whoever originally translated that into Dutch made errors, because there's almost no way that song is about his children.

The interview was held with MP during a Transatlantic show in Tilburg (Netherlands), so all of it is written in correct Dutch. He is answering a question about personal lyrics in the band and that he wrote some songs, for example Honor Thy Father, The 12 step suite but also Goodnight Kiss.

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 09:01:43 AM »
He says he is writing about his children in Goodnight Kiss.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »
"I'm just a poor girl, afraid of this cruel world"

Unless MP has some issues we don't know about, this song is not biographical. I don't know how else to say that.

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 09:06:45 AM »
"I'm just a poor girl, afraid of this cruel world"

Unless MP has some issues we don't know about, this song is not biographical. I don't know how else to say that.

I agree the lyrics are confusing, but i'm basing myself on what he said in that interview.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 09:24:31 AM »
MP either has memory issues or a bad translator.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
it's useless to continue arguing. I never heard someone saying Goodnight Kiss is about Portnoy's kids.

Offline 425

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 04:35:10 PM »
Not only, that, but the quote that I linked from his English website written by him in English directly contradicts the Dutch quote (he says "John and I came up with the idea of creating six different characters," so that's an explicit statement that the stories in SDOIT are not autobiographical). Unless MP speaks Dutch, which I suppose is possible though I know nothing about it, there WAS a translator at some point along the creation of that Dutch quote. It's not outside the realm of possibility that someone could have misunderstood "I used my kids' voices in Goodnight Kiss" as "I wrote the song Goodnight Kiss about my kids." And, though I mean no offense and certainly see no reason to believe that you are being untruthful, we also don't have a source on that quote, just a paragraph and statement that it was from an interview. This is to say nothing of what Shadow Ninja pointed out, that for the lyrics to be autobiographical, Mike would have to have had a child die, which we're pretty sure he hasn't, and have serious gender identity issues, which we're pretty sure he doesn't.

I don't mean to come off as abrasive, especially since you're new, I just mean to spell out as clearly as possible that on this one, your information is almost certainly inaccurate (probably the result of a mistranslation of Mike's words by an interviewer from English to Dutch, which you certainly can't be blamed for anyway).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
yeah what that guy said

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2014, 08:59:35 PM »
I certainly hope Under A Glass Moon is not about John's proposal to his wife... that type of proggy complicated song seems like a very unromantic and bizarre way to commemorate such an event. And I don't think the lyrics match up very well either. I'm not convinced it's supposed to really mean anything literally.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 11:23:48 AM »
Astonishing bump!..

So what now?.. 34 more songs to describe.. :o
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...