Author Topic: Mike Mangini Interview 3-21-2014 (in Montreal)  (Read 2498 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Mike Mangini Interview 3-21-2014 (in Montreal)
« on: March 27, 2014, 06:49:59 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHbnNfnEUSg#t=24

If you like hearing the man talk, this is pretty good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

Re: Mike Mangini Interview 3-21-2014 (in Montreal)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:42:05 AM »
Excellent.

I guess I didn't realize that there is a full fledged effort to get The Looking Glass on radio. Sounds like a huge focus. Hopefully
it works out.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:38:18 AM »
It may not have necessarily been an initial intention but an effect of their exposure after the first 2 singles might have made the third one more optimistic? I know I'd rather hear DT on the radio over 99% of what one might normally expect to hear.  ::)

Other than that, very inspiring video. Thanks Mike. :tup

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »
MM just really comes across as a genuinely amazing individual.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »
Great interview  :tup

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »
Really cool interview! Mike talked about some different stuff I'd never heard him discuss before!  :tup

Offline Invisible

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
All Mangini's interviews are great(I posted another one not so long ago but the audio was annoying as hell), he's extremely open and honest but in a good way, and talks very interesting points, an amazing guy definetely.

About The Looking Glass, I didn't undestrand as the band putting an effort but more like "if one of our songs pick up on the radio we will continue touring", but maybe I'm wrong... It would be great if DT gets more media out there, they definetely deserve it and despite some songs being challenging to the listener, I always thought they had more potential for the radio that they were/are given credit for.

It's very inspiring how he explains his life choices and how bad he wanted to be in a band where he could develop his full potential, I hope he always keeps this level of enthusiasm, it's really contagious!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »
Finally, finally, the actual crux of EXACTLY what those synthetic drums consisted of.

'John did me a favour programming basic beats, and saying, "Look, I kind of want a half-time here and I want a full time here but play whatever you want." I played anything I wanted, nobody should think that I went in and learned these parts. I did not do that. I got what is important to me, which is the composer's viewpoint, which I wanted to satisfy as a human being. I turned to John and we worked through it together.'

I'm sure it won't keep people from going, 'Oh, yeah, he just played what John Petrucci told him,' but it's a quote we can point at, so that's excellent.

Mike Mangini speaks with this almost manic fervour, it's a glimpse of the line between genius and madness. It's that complete conviction, such certainty in his voice, and always so full on - it could be scary if he wasn't such an incredibly nice man. So much lovely stuff in that interview. Mike Mangini interviews are a rare treat.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »
I can only say I love this man. He always manages to come through as sincere, joyous, passionate and analytic; I'm really glad he's DT's drummer. Great interview all around, it's nice to listen to him make some clearing some issues like the "John Petrucci told him what to play" stuff, and finally get his view of how the shows are going and so on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 03:39:49 PM »
I like a musician who's not ashamed to talk about their faith. :)

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »
I've known the interviewer Mitch Lafon since the mid 1990's and he always does a good job interviewing who ever he is with at the moment. He may be the worlds biggest KISS fan but he sure pulled off this one!
Thanks,
Dave

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »
Another thing I was thinking about while watching this is how both Mangini and Portnoy are really intelligent but in totally different ways. The way Mangini talks absolutely conveys that. His talking is as spot on/smooth as his drumming...

On another note, I remember reading in  another interview that he was doing software-engineering related stuff at some point so I can more or less understand and relate to how his mind works. His devotion to what he does is really inspiring and something I (we) can look up to.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 12:30:11 AM »
Another thing I was thinking about while watching this is how both Mangini and Portnoy are really intelligent but in totally different ways. The way Mangini talks absolutely conveys that. His talking is as spot on/smooth as his drumming...

On another note, I remember reading in  another interview that he was doing software-engineering related stuff at some point so I can more or less understand and relate to how his mind works. His devotion to what he does is really inspiring and something I (we) can look up to.

According to his bio, he used to program software for the Patriot Missile program. :p

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 03:45:19 AM »
I like a musician who's not ashamed to talk about their faith. :)
I don't really care either way, but it makes me raise an eyebrow more often than not when they bring up the subject. The case here is no exception, starting from 12:40, Mike suggests that him praying for four days a week for five years resulted in the "miracle" which was Portnoy leaving the band, which was painful for all parties involved BTW, but oh well, it was still better than his other option, "some other drummer dying." :marriageanalogy:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 04:50:55 AM »
I don't think we was trying to imply his prayer conjured up a miracle, he was just expressing how determined and passionate he was about finding an outlet for his creativity. I think that sort of confidence or optimism is almost necessary to even recognise, let alone take opportunities that might otherwise pass you by. Pretty much, it worked out in the end and DT was clearly a perfect fit for him. I believe it would be a bit silly for people to get offended regarding his comments here.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
I haven't experienced many Mangini interviews, but this is one of the best interviews I've ever heard in my life.

A lot of it had to do with the interviewer, but I think I need to find more and listen to this man speak.

It's very inspiring.....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
I nominate the interviewer to be the official band interviewer. *Finally* some interesting questions, not just "you released an album, can you talk about that?"
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 06:25:16 AM »
Yes and as Rob pointed out - Petrucci didn't write the entire album on the drums. Mangini played - quote " Whatever he wanted ".

That's from the horse's mouth.

That interview alone can be pointed to whenever someone says Petrucci wrote and played all the drums on A Dramatic Turn.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »
There are people who claim John Petrucci played all the drums on ADTOE?
To that I submit JP's actual drumming skill: https://youtu.be/s7Q1Nn1CYHk

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »
There are people who claim John Petrucci played all the drums on ADTOE?
To that I submit JP's actual drumming skill: https://youtu.be/s7Q1Nn1CYHk

You know what people are like . They read : Petrucci programmed an absolute bare minimum bass and snare patterns for ADTOE...

That becomes : PETRUCCI PLAYED ALL THE DRUMS. MANGINI ISNT EVEN ON THE CD.

It's like Internet Chinese Wildfire Whispers.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »
One thing that was a bit of a bummer in the interview was the direction of "we have an obligation to sound like DT. If I want to listen to Annihilator, I'll go listen to Annihilator".

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »
One thing that was a bit of a bummer in the interview was the direction of "we have an obligation to sound like DT. If I want to listen to Annihilator, I'll go listen to Annihilator".

I think this statement perfectly captures the current DT mentality, they have become comfortable in this definet "DT sound" and don't really deviate or experiment much. The whole "We do it for our fans" thing i think has an effect on how much artistic expression goes through the recent albums, or if it's more like "We must right these kinds of songs, because our fans like these kinds of songs".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »
I dunno though. Maybe Mike meant in essence. Otherwise they'd just be writing Awake over and over and over.

The song lengths on DT12 show that they're willing to shake it up a bit. Not just write 8 x 10 minute songs with 5 minute instrumental sections.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »

Yeah.  That's kind of the one red flag I noticed too.  I wouldn't think that obligation would exist  (or at least I wouldn't want it to), but then I'm not in the band.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
Mike may have just meant they're not going to do a 12 bar boogie or folk rock album any time soon.

It's always going to be proggy or metal music.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 08:54:51 AM »
I'm certain he did - and frankly, we've known that for about twenty years!