Author Topic: Now they actually do all look the same....  (Read 1900 times)

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
Now they actually do all look the same....
« on: March 26, 2014, 06:34:27 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-26747649

So all North Koreans have to sport the hairstyle of Kim Jong-Un,

How can they get away with things like this?

Offline kri

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • a besta sem gu hefur skapa er nr dagur
Re: Now they actually do all look the same....
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:02:14 AM »
What gives western nations the right to intervene?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:15:39 AM »
What gives western nations the right to intervene?

???  What does that question have to do with the thread or the article that was linked?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kri

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:38:19 AM »
jonnybaxy asked how they get away with imposing laws like these. I figured he was implying that something should be done about this, to which I posed my question.

I don't see how that is unrelated.

Online Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »
I don't care what they do, as long as they don't mess with anyone outside their own country.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »
The most bizarre dictatorship of all time in recorded history. I can't even believe it has survived for so long.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:25:34 AM »
The most bizarre dictatorship of all time in recorded history. I can't even believe it has survived for so long.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »
I'm predicting that within a week it'll be part of a cracked story about articles that are 100% bullshit that the media creams over.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:27:08 PM »
I don't care what they do, as long as they don't mess with anyone outside their own country.

Well aren't you a great world citizen.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »
I think jonnybaxy was implying why do the North Korean people allow themselves to be subjected to this treatment.

I guess it will make it easier for Un to find body doubles.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 06:59:26 AM »
I think jonnybaxy was implying why do the North Korean people allow themselves to be subjected to this treatment.

Yup.

And the sheer ridiculousness of said laws....

Offline kri

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »
Fear of death? Solid reason if you ask me.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
You have an entire generation who have grown up only knowing the bat-shit insane narrative that is taught within the country. Its easy to accept insanity if its all you've ever known.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 12:04:33 AM »

I guess it will make it easier for Un to find body doubles.

Nah, he's fat and the rest of the country is basically starving to death.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 08:12:47 AM »
I'm predicting that within a week it'll be part of a cracked story about articles that are 100% bullshit that the media creams over.
They're a little late on my one week prediction, but they came through nevertheless.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-b.s.-news-stories-that-fooled-your-facebook-friends/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CrackedRSS+%28Cracked%3A+All+Posts%29&utm_content=FeedBurner
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 08:23:39 AM »
They're a little late on my one week prediction, but they came through nevertheless.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-b.s.-news-stories-that-fooled-your-facebook-friends/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CrackedRSS+%28Cracked%3A+All+Posts%29&utm_content=FeedBurner

Nah you're good. I provided a link two days after you called fake.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 12:03:44 PM »
The power of the internet never ceases to amaze me. 

Offline puppyonacid

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 03:52:55 AM »
Wow! That is amazing and troubling.

I heard this story through the BBC and (because I still haven't learned!) trusted it to be true. It seems journalistic integrity is one of the greatest oxymoron's of the 21st century.

What obviously irks me most is the really serious issues that get reported that may have hideous factual inaccuracies. Why does the press get away with this crap?
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline jonnybaxy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 08:06:38 AM »
Because they can.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 02:28:24 PM »
Lol

http://news.yahoo.com/n-korea-officials-target-london-salon-over-kim-134411710.html

London (AFP) - British police said Tuesday they had intervened after North Korean embassy officials reportedly told a London hairdresser to take down a discount haircuts advert featuring leader Kim Jong-Un.

Mo Nabbach said two officials identifying themselves as being from the Stalinist state's mission took pictures of his M&M Hair Academy in Ealing, west London.

They then demanded to know his name and ordered him to remove the "disrespectful" poster from the salon window, he told the Evening Standard newspaper.

The poster featured a large picture of Kim's distinctive short-back-and-sides hairdo with the slogan: "Bad hair day? 15 percent off all gent cuts through the month of April."

"I told them this is England and not North Korea and told them to get their lawyers," the newspaper quoted Nabbach as saying.

"The two guys were wearing suits and they were very serious. It was very threatening."

Nabbach, who is also a fashion photographer, said he had since removed the offending picture.

His son Karim said they had put up the poster in response to a recent unconfirmed story that North Korean men are now only allowed to wear the same haircut as their young leader, who took power after the death of his father Kim Jong-il in December 2011.

"We didn't realise but the North Korean embassy is a 10-minute walk from the salon. The next day we had North Korean officials pop into the salon asking to speak to the manager," he said.

"He (Mo Nabbach) went to Ealing police station afterwards to file a report just in case anything happened to the salon overnight. Apparently they (the apparent North Korean officials) went to the police as well."

"We haven't had any trouble since then, if anything the poster has become a tourist attraction. It was just something that had been in the news, and the North Korean officials didn't even have the haircut.

"We always put up little offers in the window, it's harmless. We were just making light of a bad situation in North Korea."

Police confirmed that they had stepped in to resolve the issue.

"Officers spoke to both parties involved and no offence was disclosed," a Metropolitan Police spokesman told AFP.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »
It's amazing that North Korea thinks that the rest of the world subscribes to their ridiculous beliefs.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
It's amazing that North Korea thinks that the rest of the world subscribes to their ridiculous beliefs.
Is there something topical about this post, or just a random musing?
E.F. Benson

Offline Grizz

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »
Nah, just a late reply to the UK thing.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 02:06:28 AM »
Wow! That is amazing and troubling.

I heard this story through the BBC and (because I still haven't learned!) trusted it to be true. It seems journalistic integrity is one of the greatest oxymoron's of the 21st century.

What obviously irks me most is the really serious issues that get reported that may have hideous factual inaccuracies. Why does the press get away with this crap?

Whatever makes them seem like a messed up country.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 11:28:46 PM »
You have an entire generation who have grown up only knowing the bat-shit insane narrative that is taught within the country. Its easy to accept insanity if its all you've ever known.

XJ's post is pretty much spot on. Just watched an episode of Vice on HBO about the fact that North Koreans who basically escape their nations tyranny have an extremely hard time assimilating into even South Korea. A number of Christian churches are overwhelmed by refugees from N Korea. Not because they seek Christian worship, but they need and seek nearly zealot idolatry of something to take the place of their former dictator.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."