Author Topic: Your Favorite and Least Favorite Holidays  (Read 1074 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Your Favorite and Least Favorite Holidays
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:11:51 AM »
Other than Vlasto Day...what are your favorite and least favorite holidays? Easter is coming up next month, which got me to thinking how confusing it all was when I was little. In the U.S. we have an amalgam of stuff all thrown into the mix. The German Lutheran bunny is a big part of it. The egg thing. The resurrection. Candy. Spring. Dress up church. Easter brunch. Dinner. When you're like 5 or 6 it's confusing and tiring as all get out. Heck, when your 50 it's confusing and tiring. And as a Christian, the whole primary reason for the holiday seems lost.

Favorite: Thanksgiving. Family, friends, fall, food, football. Awesome

Least Favorite: Easter

What say you?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Your Favorite and Least Favorite Holidays
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 01:29:10 AM »
Favorite: Christmas. The music, the food, the scents, the Rankin-Bass Christmas specials, and family time pretty much does it for me.

Least Favorite: Valentines Day. It's unnecessary. You could celebrate the sentiments and observances with your lover on any other 364 days of the year. Plus, those sweetheart candies taste like toothpaste.  :tdwn

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 03:30:50 AM »
Same as above. Thanksgiving is almost my least because I despise turkey, but pumpkin pie is almost my favourite thing so that makes up for it nicely.

Offline Arry

• Only the good die young...
  • There is only one Um...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:09:22 AM »
Fave: Thanksgiving. Good food and drink.
Least fave: Xmas. Makes everyone nuts and its too expensive.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:21:41 AM »

Favorite: Fourth of July : You're outside, beers, music, grilling meats, and explosives.

Least Favorite: Halloween : I'm at that age where I can't really do anything with it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:57:37 AM »
Thanksgiving for all of the reasons mentioned. I hate turkey with a passion, but fortunately it's usually only an afterthought nowadays.

Pretty much everything else is my least favorite. I used to like Christmas when it was just a normal holiday, but now it's a 3 month long season that turns everybody into morons which I find highly aggravating. A lot of the other holidays we celebrate are just a reason to feel like you have to get shitfaced simply because it's expected. I live a block away from Lower Greenville which is the path of Dallas's St Patrick Day parade, and it amazes me how people think that some made up Irish holiday means they have to spend the entire day falling down drunk and puking green Coors light. Most of the others are just Hallmark Holidays more about marketing than whatever they were initially intended to be.

I suppose I can throw honorable mention to Easter and Halloween since you can always buy cheap candy the day after. Hershey's minis, Reeses mini-cups and M&Ms for cheap aren't such a bad thing. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Favorite: St. Patrick's Day (I'm Irish)

Least favorite: MLK Day (I'm white)

:biggrin: :biggrin: 

Just kidding.  In all reality, I don't have a least favorite holiday, but Thanksgiving has long been my favorite holiday.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »
I don't mind christmas day. It's the whole few months leading up to it - with christmas ads and decorations and christmas this & that all over the place and the same 5 christmas songs being played in every shop you go in...

I wish it was one day - over and done with.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »
Halloween FTW...

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »
Thanksgiving is my favorite.

I'm pretty neutral towards the rest, except I'm starting to dislike Christmas because the way people treat it.  People turn into raging asshats when they go shopping, and there is always the pressure to provide.  I specifically asked people to not get me anything for Christmas last year because the only things I wanted were dress clothes for work, which I want to pick out myself, and other things like music and things for my hobbies and the problem with those are that I pretty much need to tell someone exactly what I want, and if I'm going to do that I'd rather just get it myself to ensure it is exactly what I want.  Somehow that made me the bad guy this past Christmas because I didn't want people to waste money on me, especially since I was strapped myself and wanted to keep expenditures to a bare minimum.  The gift part of Christmas is the only part that truly repulses me.  I don't care for X-mas music, but I can deal with it since it doesn't bring out the worst in people.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 09:18:15 PM »
Favorite:  Halloween
When I was a kid I loved trick or treating.  As an adult, there's always something going on...a party, a concert..whatever.  And I love costumes.

Least Favorite:  Christmas
I can never really afford it and it turns everyone into assholes (moreso than they already are). 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
Favorite: halloween: kids treck or treating, horror movies, the SHIZZZZZZZZZZZ

Least: Thanksgiving: who gives fuck? I can eat turkey ahny day and fuck this shit.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »
Favorite: Christmas
Least favorite: Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving dinner is nice and all, but my reason for not liking it is pretty stupid, I guess. I just don't like the colors.

Stuff like this:

just makes me want to throw up.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »
Favorite: Halloween. Its dark and eccentric, just can't get enough.

Least Favorite: Easter. Never liked it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 11:39:17 AM »
Favorite:
Christmas (I got married in front of a Christmas Tree on Christmas Eve 2000)

Least Favorite:
Valentine's Day - because it's my fucking birthday too and people always say stuff like "awww gee isn't that cute!!! " 

No, it's not cute, you cun :censored

:P

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »
I can't believe I am the only one to mention the 4th of July. I accuse you all of treason!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 12:08:05 PM »
I would never say the 4th of July, because fireworks are too big a part of that holiday, and fireworks are stupid.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »
What's with all the hatred toward turkey?

My family is pretty small, so family-oriented holidays like Thanksgiving are pretty low-stress and thus generally enjoyable. As long as I don’t have to fly anywhere.

I stopped caring about Halloween when I got too old to dress up and go out, but started enjoying it again once we had our daughter.

Easter is just a weird holiday. I never know when it is. And not being Christian, I don’t really care.

July 04 is awesome. Neighborhood BBQ, kids going crazy with fireworks, and a 30 second walk home at the end of the night.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 04:54:43 AM »
Favorite is Christmas.

Least favorite is hard to say.  I suppose Valentines Day, but only because it is a "fake" holiday,  ie it doesn't commemorate an actual event or person, it is just a marketing ploy.  But my wife and I actually enjoy it very much.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 04:55:43 AM »
Any holiday that we can get together as a family is what truly makes it a holiday.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 05:01:18 AM »
Favourite: Christmas - turkey, family, alcohol and the Queen's speech. Doesn't get much better.
Honourable mention to the early May bank holiday because it usually falls near my birthday.

Least: Halloween - way too OTT for this Brit. I just don't get it. We usually shut the curtains and ignore the doorbell all night.

4th July really should be a holiday for us, it's the day we were rid of you awful Americans ;)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 11:18:30 AM »

4th July really should be a holiday for us, it's the day we were rid of you awful Americans ;)

Yeah, you still had the Scottish to push around and treat like shit. Still do, at least until September  18th!

:biggrin:  :metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
I would never say the 4th of July, because fireworks are too big a part of that holiday, and fireworks are stupid.

This! 4th of July sucks for me because I have three dogs who are terrified of fireworks. My neighbors suck and light off fireworks not just for the 4th of July, but random days as well. Very inconsiderate people.

My favorite holiday is the hallmark holiday Valentine's Day.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »
Favorite...
Christmas. Its a love hate holiday for me. I love the entire month leading up to it, spending time with my wife and daughter, and the house looks awesome!
I hate the commercial aspect of it. People are at their worst this time of year! (See Ticks views on Black Friday :biggrin:)

The worst holiday without a doubt is Valentines Day. This is nothing but a worthless money grab. This day has no redeeming value. 
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
The worst holiday without a doubt is Valentines Day. This is nothing but a worthless money grab. This day has no redeeming value.
Wrong. Just follow the Dork Castle method:

- Beer, preferably the good stuff(or if you don't drink alcohol, get yo'self some Yoohoo or bitchin cream soda), I mean it's a great excuse for the day.
- Boxer briefs, with hearts drawn on them, be lazy about it, sharpies will do.
- Horror Movies, nothing more romantic than Michael Myers slashing some bishes up, or Evil Dead going down.
- Alllllllllllllll Day.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:32:06 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
I can't believe I am the only one to mention the 4th of July. I accuse you all of treason!!!

Fave - 4th of July:  Hot, beer, grilling, 50-75% less clothing, no snow, no football
Least Fave - Probably between Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.  Cold.  Coats.  Snow.  Football.  Winter.  Eat me, winter.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 01:33:57 PM »
Favs are Christmas and Thanksgiving, for the seasonal spirit and family get togethers

Least fav - Valentines....like everyone mentioned, it's fake. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »
Favourite: Sinterklaas (yeah, that's a Dutch thing)

Least favourite: Either Carnaval (another Dutch thing) or Koninginnedag (yes, another Dutch thing), though New Year's Eve is up there too.

The least favourites are all because of one thing: stupid people you never ever see roaming the streets and acting like complete maniacs finding excuses to indulge in way too much beer. And streets get way too crowded and I don't really like that sort of thing. I generally stay away from these two.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »
Wrong. Just follow the Dork Castle method:

- Beer, preferably the good stuff(or if you don't drink alcohol, get yo'self some Yoohoo or bitchin cream soda), I mean it's a great excuse for the day.
- Boxer briefs, with hearts drawn on them, be lazy about it, sharpies will do.
- Horror Movies, nothing more romantic than Michael Myers slashing some bishes up, or Evil Dead going down.
- Alllllllllllllll Day.
Well....I think you might have something there! That actually doesn't sound half bad!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi