Author Topic: Will my hearing come back?  (Read 6812 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Will my hearing come back?
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2014, 11:07:36 AM »
There's been several answers to the affirmative in this thread already.

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »
Alright, well as long as what Im going through seems normal, then thats a good sign :)

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 07:37:10 PM »
Went to see the doctor and it turns out, the sound pressure from the gig triggered a sinusitis infection. I was prescribed cortizone steroids and anti inflammatory medication for 2 weeks. It is day 1 and I'm already seeing huge improvements. My ear drums are fine and I do not appear to have any permanent hearing loss.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »
Went to see the doctor and it turns out, the sound pressure from the gig triggered a sinusitis infection. I was prescribed cortizone steroids and anti inflammatory medication for 2 weeks. It is day 1 and I'm already seeing huge improvements. My ear drums are fine and I do not appear to have any permanent hearing loss.

:tup  That's good to hear.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 10:02:51 PM »

Pun intended? TOO SOON! :P

Glad that you've finally seen a doctor and had this cleared up. Maybe spend a few bucks on some ear plugs too. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »
Your recovery is music to my ears.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »

Glad that you've finally seen a doctor and had this cleared up. Maybe spend a few bucks on some ear plugs too. :biggrin:
I hadn't even noticed that pun :lol
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2014, 08:52:59 AM »

I've had sinus infections before, I'm not sure if I will  go to anymore concerts in the future after this. It doesn't sound good to me with ear plugs and I want to start seriously protecting my hearing after this. What I  have gone through the past few weeks was traumatizing. I got to hear the world through the ears of someone with tinitus, hypoacusis, severe hearing loss in a frequency range, etc. I can't imagine myself living with any of this. So when I play drums from now on on a real set, ear plugs for sure, and on electronic set I will reduce volume when I have jam sessions.

I am glad I did not suffer anything permanent and even if it's just a small warning sign, I'm treating it as a giant red flag.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »
 :chill Just use protection and you won't get hearing aids.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
It's going to be fun mixing in class today @.@

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2014, 03:32:50 PM »
Just to let everyone know, the show did indeed give me permanent tinnitus in my left ear, so I urge you all to wear ear protection... there is nothing fun about living with this.

Cheers.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »
How bad is it ?

At times mine can be annoying when i'm trying to sleep and there is absolute silence in my room. But I just remind myself that once I wake up the next day it's fine because it only really annoys me when i'm trying to fall asleep - which is like an hour a day.

Once it's daytime - I can shut it out almost completely. But I don't know how bad yours is.

Also - :hug: - it takes time - but it *can* improve slightly and you can learn to tune it out / put it in the back of your mind over time. :) x

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2014, 07:19:32 AM »
* hug back * :)
Mine is around 15,000 hz (like the buzzing of an old CRT tv with the volume off) I also have a lighter buzz around 7,000 hz but I hardly hear that one.

It was horrible the first couple of months causing me various panic and anxiety attacks. The doctors say that can happen with such high T since the brain thinks the noise might be a threat. Since I have started listening to music while I work (I am a programmer) it has helped me a lot. At night, the fan kind of helps but for various reasons, I can only sleep on my left side, so it is loud even with the fan.

I guess it just takes a very, very long time to get used to. There are not a lot of people to relate to. The 3 doctors I spoke to have it, but they only hear it at night. I hear it all day, but if I focus on my work, it is much better. If I am outside or in a mall, I do not hear it. If I start feeling nervous or stressed, it becomes twice as loud.

The doctors all thought it was something more serious since it was only in 1 ear. None of them thought you could get permanent tinnitus from one concert. What I got is called acoustic shock, which usually only happens when exposed to explosions. But during MM's drum solo in enigma machine, the cymbals felt really loud and lots of people were whistling him on too, and then I felt almost like a sort of shock in my left ear and thought I had ear wax lodged...

I guess the cymbals + cheering were too much for my ear.

Ironically, I usually go to these shows with my brother (third show of my life over 3 years (DT 2011, Opeth 2013, DT 2014)) who also never wears ear protection, and this time he had a cold and his ears were hurting so he wore ear plugs. I found DT both times to be much louder than Opeth. Opeth was such a fun and comfortable experience. And Mike takes breaks and talks between songs which help the ears recover.

I have made sure to tell all my friends, who frequently go to heavy metal concerts to wear ear protection because tinnitus id horrible. Would not wish it on my worst enemy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2014, 07:27:38 AM »
I've had mine for so long that unless there's something else going on like nasal congestion or ear wax creating something else then I don't think about it at all.