Author Topic: Great JP Interview  (Read 13958 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Great JP Interview
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »
The interviewer could be just trying to get a quote, but considering the amount of time that's passed now (3.5 years) some people (myself included) are curious to know what happened and where things are at today. Time allows them to look back and reflect on what happened with a (hopefully) more balanced viewpoint. And face it, it is the elephant that will continue to be in the room for at least a few more years.

I thought it was funny when JP said no hard feelings because, to me, it was one of the most blatant lies I've ever seen in an interview.  When MP first left DT, JP talked about how they were friends and hoped they could play together again in the future.  Now he won't even talk about him in an interview without giving obvious stock answers.

There's no rational conversation to be had here.  There'a a zero percent chance MP could talk about it publicly in a composed, non-passive aggresive manner.  And there's a one hundred percent chance that any substantive comment about the situation from the band would invite a response from either MP or his fans.

There's no upside to talking about it, and tons of downside.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Invisible

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
The interviewer could be just trying to get a quote, but considering the amount of time that's passed now (3.5 years) some people (myself included) are curious to know what happened and where things are at today. Time allows them to look back and reflect on what happened with a (hopefully) more balanced viewpoint. And face it, it is the elephant that will continue to be in the room for at least a few more years.

I thought it was funny when JP said no hard feelings because, to me, it was one of the most blatant lies I've ever seen in an interview.  When MP first left DT, JP talked about how they were friends and hoped they could play together again in the future.  Now he won't even talk about him in an interview without giving obvious stock answers.

There's no rational conversation to be had here.  There'a a zero percent chance MP could talk about it publicly in a composed, non-passive aggresive manner.  And there's a one hundred percent chance that any substantive comment about the situation from the band would invite a response from either MP or his fans.

Wise words. Although on your first paragraph, I think we all know(unless there's info I don't know) the problem wasn't Mike leaving, but his wanting to come back and get rejected and blow it in public what caused the rupture and the bridges burned. And that won't be fixed in a few years, it needs more time and only way there's only a slight chance of reconciliation is for both parts to avoid the issue in public and not throwing more gas to the flame, that's why I think the stock answer is the best way to go. Once the media fight starts, nobody wins and the only thing they could get is alienating and dividing the fans, while remaining polite to each other is a win win for both parts.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 08:37:52 PM »
Also, let's not forget the notice with summons MP's lawyers filed.  It wasn't a lawsuit, but it was a signed, sealed, and delivered legal threat against the band.  To Dream Theater, a group that clearly hates extra-musical drama of any form, I have to imagine this was tough to swallow.

EDIT:  Don't think for a second that legal threat wasn't serious.  When Roger Waters left Pink Floyd, he sued to stop Gilmour and Mason from using the Pink Floyd name.  He obviously didn't get this, but he did get the rights to The Wall.

Guess who once said he thought Waters was on the right side of that battle?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:47:44 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »
It is impossible to gather how JP 'really feels' about MP from that interview. He gave a standard political answer as he always does to almost everything. He just isn't the type of guy to bring this type of thing out into the public sphere anymore than it has to be.

I have no idea -- and unless you know JP personally and talk to him about this, you don't either -- how JP really feels deep down about MP. And I don't even see why people care about this sorta thing unless they're hoping for a project with those two.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
Also, let's not forget the notice with summons MP's lawyers filed.  It wasn't a lawsuit, but it was a signed, sealed, and delivered legal threat against the band.  To Dream Theater, a group that clearly hates extra-musical drama of any form, I have to imagine this was tough to swallow.
What notice was this? I've never heard of this before

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 09:51:17 PM »

I can't find the PDF, but, essentially it was a document written by MP's lawyers alleging that DT was continuing on in an improper manner without MP.  The worst part was it specifically argued that the band's usage of the Dream Theater name should not be allowed.

This document came out long after it was relevant, but the contents were weird and fucked up.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:04:35 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »

*golf clap*

We often disagree, ReaP, but on this occasion, I could not agree with you any more! :tup :tup

It is impossible to gather how JP 'really feels' about MP from that interview. He gave a standard political answer as he always does to almost everything. He just isn't the type of guy to bring this type of thing out into the public sphere anymore than it has to be.

I have no idea -- and unless you know JP personally and talk to him about this, you don't either -- how JP really feels deep down about MP. And I don't even see why people care about this sorta thing unless they're hoping for a project with those two.

I don't think it's that unusual for fans of a band they love to want to know as much as they can about the band, even if some of it is drama.  Fortunately, at this point there is nothing really to discuss regarding the Portnoy departure, and JP's "looking forward" answer ensured that it stays that way.

EDIT:  Don't think for a second that legal threat wasn't serious.  When Roger Waters left Pink Floyd, he sued to stop Gilmour and Mason from using the Pink Floyd name.  He obviously didn't get this, but he did get the rights to The Wall.

Guess who once said he thought Waters was on the right side of that battle?

Waters lost that battle badly and quickly, legally and financially (his solo tours in the later 80s did terrible, while Floyd didn't miss a beat), and even in recent years, Waters has expressed the sentiment that he probably didn't handle it in the best manner possible.  The last three decades have proven that Pink Floyd won that battle decisively.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 06:03:03 AM »

I can't find the PDF, but, essentially it was a document written by MP's lawyers alleging that DT was continuing on in an improper manner without MP.  The worst part was it specifically argued that the band's usage of the Dream Theater name should not be allowed.

This document came out long after it was relevant, but the contents were weird and fucked up.

Which is extra weird considering MP quit the band . Maybe if he was fired - he'd be able to sue them for loss of earnings.

But actively retiring from the band and suing them for carrying on without him ?

I seem to remember JP brushing off the idea that MP would get the DT name like " no - we own the name. "

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 07:10:46 AM »

Which is extra weird considering MP quit the band . Maybe if he was fired - he'd be able to sue them for loss of earnings.

But actively retiring from the band and suing them for carrying on without him ?

I seem to remember JP brushing off the idea that MP would get the DT name like " no - we own the name. "

Huh, yeah I agree, that seems very weird. I've never heard of such a document existing, that would certainly be interesting to see.  Definitely weird though, I know nothing about law but it really doesn't make sense that after he quit, MP would have any legal right to the name... because he quit. Wouldn't that forfeit his legal right?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 07:45:35 AM »

Huh, yeah I agree, that seems very weird. I've never heard of such a document existing, that would certainly be interesting to see.  Definitely weird though, I know nothing about law but it really doesn't make sense that after he quit, MP would have any legal right to the name... because he quit. Wouldn't that forfeit his legal right?

That's what I'm thinking as well from a business point of view.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »
In essence, yes, and him doing it as publicly as he did didn't help his cause (releasing his statement right away).  To compare it to the Floyd situation again, David Gilmour, years later, said that Waters leaving the band officially allowed them to resurrect it on their own, as opposed to him staying and the band dying (since the others had no interest in working with Waters anymore, and vice versa).  The big difference, of course, being that Waters never thought the others would carry on with the Floyd name without him*, while DT made it clear to Portnoy that they were carrying on without him.

*Had he, it's doubtful Waters would have left the band and let them do so, given what a bastard he was.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »

Well, I don't think anyone here is implying that they know what JP is thinking, it's just pointless guessing and analysing for fun, the same as any discussion in this forum.

I didn't know that the lawsuit was that bad, all I read was MP filing something on court but he didn't say what it was and from his way of speaking I thought it was just regular bussiness. Kind of naive of me I guess. I don't think how MP could think it could have worked though, first he's the one who quit, second there are still two original members left, one almost original from the first succesful record and another with music credits of more than half the catalog. Roger Waters at least had sole music and lyrics credit for a number of songs and he was the main lyric writer, still not enough to claim "I'm Pink Floyd" but a lot more than Portnoy. MP not only doesn't have a single alone music credit on the entire catalog, but isn't even the main lyrics writer, he simply doesn't have a case unless the law in the US is really weird in that aspect.

Well, if that was the case, I'm actually surprised how nice JP is, and 3.5 years isn't nearly enough time to heal that sort of wound.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »
*golf clap*

We often disagree, ReaP, but on this occasion, I could not agree with you any more! :tup :tup

Thank you sir.

Waters lost that battle badly and quickly, legally and financially (his solo tours in the later 80s did terrible, while Floyd didn't miss a beat), and even in recent years, Waters has expressed the sentiment that he probably didn't handle it in the best manner possible.  The last three decades have proven that Pink Floyd won that battle decisively.

I agree that the lawsuit would have failed spectacularly, but it would have been an awful, ugly moment in the band's career.  Unlike Floyd, DT isn't so wildly successful that it wouldn't have mattered.  Who knows what could have been said that would have alienated the fan base in some way.  How fun is it right now to be a Queensryche fan?

EDIT: It's easy to forget now that, when Portnoy left the band, Portnoy vs. Dream Theater was a real debate.  Who was right?  Who was wrong?  What would the future of the band be like? 

Dream Theater's decisively won that argument now because they've released two excellent albums and Portnoy said a lot of bad things in public.  But, when the tensions of Portnoy leaving were at their peak, none of that had really happened.

It's ridiculous in hindsight, but Portnoy was once considered the heart and soul of the band.  In a lawsuit, how much does DT's image suffer?

All true.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:44:49 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
Here's Ultimate-Guitar's entry on it since I couldn't find the .pdf either (the title is misleading, but that's not unusual on UG). This was what made me the most upset about MP's departure from DT, and perhaps the main reason I absolutely always say that I wouldn't want MP back in DT. It was quite a cynical move from him, in my opinion, considering he was the one who chose to leave the band (or rather saw that as the only alternative to the other guys not wanting the hiatus).

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »
Conspiracy Theory:  The filing was about money.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but if I understand correctly the way DT works financially is that all the money generated by the band gets put into a giant pot that is then used to pay the salaries of the band members.

So normally, if MP leaves, he gets royalty checks from the band's music for whatever he did before he left.  But in this situation, he doesn't get any money because it's all signed over to the DT money pot.

So at some point, he threatened a lawsuit to get a share of the money pot.  I don't think it's out of line to assume he got some of it in exchange for calling off the lawyers.
Over and over again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
Conspiracy Theory:  The filing was about money.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but if I understand correctly the way DT works financially is that all the money generated by the band gets put into a giant pot that is then used to pay the salaries of the band members.

So normally, if MP leaves, he gets royalty checks from the band's music for whatever he did before he left.  But in this situation, he doesn't get any money because it's all signed over to the DT money pot.

So at some point, he threatened a lawsuit to get a share of the money pot.  I don't think it's out of line to assume he got some of it in exchange for calling off the lawyers.

That's not really a conspiracy. That's all I always assumed the lawsuit was about, rather than anything else (which was all explained at the time this was actually relevant). And as it was part of money he would have earned, I think it's fair that he should have gotten his cut, especially no longer having that "full time" gig to fall back on.
It's not a conspiracy until it involves Illuminati or a president. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2014, 10:55:39 PM »
I'm trying to make sense of this whole "lawsuit" thing by reading the thread of it.  This comment is pretty golden though.

I guess this really has been a dramatic turn of events. Mike Portnoy is really breaking all remaining illusions of respect that anyone really had for him anymore. At first I didn't think there was that much beneath the surface of the lawsuit besides spite, but now I think it's really an outcry to be back in the band. But with the lawsuit he's really burning all the bridges in the sky. Mike left the band and this is the life that he chose. It's his fault he's so far from the heaven that DT is to him. But we all just have to keep in mind that the good, ol' Mike Portnoy era of DT is lost, not forgotten. MP needs to focus on building himself up again without breaking DT down in the process.

On The Backs Of Angels is a pretty good song too.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27998.msg1064930#msg1064930

That's all I got.

Anywho, as for the actual topic, it still is pretty decent interview that goes into hearing about JP's background and stuff like that although the 2nd part of it kinda suffered from the stock questions that everyone seems to ask which leads to these guys giving the same answers.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2014, 11:05:11 PM »
Anywho, as for the actual topic, it still is pretty decent interview that goes into hearing about JP's background and stuff like that although the 2nd part of it kinda suffered from the stock questions that everyone seems to ask which leads to these guys giving the same answers.

This is what's frustrating to me about interviewers in general.

I think that a lot of interviewers phone it in on purpose.  If they ask basic stock questions and get basic stock answers, they can write a basic stock story.

If the interviewer wants to write a good story, then they'll ask good questions.

Most public figures, I think, want to take part in engaging interviews.  In this interview, JP gives a lot of very in-depth, engaged, thoughtful, non-stock answers.  The interviewer asks him a lot of questions about guitars (a subject about which JP readily talks at length) and about how the tour is put together (JP likes to talk about the band's big picture creative decisions).

If you ask a question that's been asked a bunch of times before, you're going to get a rehearsed, non-unique answer.  If you ask a question that's inappropriately prying, you're going to be justifiably stonewalled.  If you actually engage the interviewee, you'll get genuine answers.
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »
Stop making sense, Reap.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2014, 12:20:40 PM »
I don't understand WHY interviewers all ask the same questions.

• You could find out the answers yourself by watching any other interview.
• You're not getting any kind of "exclusive" by asking the same old questions.
• You're gonna get tired - rehashed - rehearsed answers to the questions and a lack of enthusiasm from the interviewee.
• The people watching the interview won't garner anything interesting or insightful. If they're fans - they'll already know the answers.

???

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »
Loved hearing JP discuss the early days of DT.  I could've listened to him go on for an hour reflecting about past albums and the band's creation, etc.  Good stuff.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
Loved hearing JP discuss the early days of DT.  I could've listened to him go on for an hour reflecting about past albums and the band's creation, etc.  Good stuff.
Agreed. It was a cool interview.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »
I don't understand WHY interviewers all ask the same questions.

• You could find out the answers yourself by watching any other interview.
• You're not getting any kind of "exclusive" by asking the same old questions.
• You're gonna get tired - rehashed - rehearsed answers to the questions and a lack of enthusiasm from the interviewee.
• The people watching the interview won't garner anything interesting or insightful. If they're fans - they'll already know the answers.

???

They ask the same questions for a number of reasons. 

They are trying to sell their product and their product is not "The Exclusive One Stop for All Dream Theater Info".

Most people that read the interview or watch it are casual fans.  Some non-fans might watch it out of curiosity and all hardcore fans will seek it out in case JP announces a reunion tour with Kevin Muhr. 

Part of them getting to interview DT is also Dream Theater's opportunity to promote whatever product they are trying to sell, which in this case is their latest self titled album and the Along for the Ride tour.  So if they don't ask them about that at all, DT might get pissed and think "Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

With that said, DT have always been cool about appealing to the hardcore fan base that want to know things like what brand of tennis shoes John Myung wears and us hardcore fans obviously will seek out publications that ask those, so knowing the interviewer has to play the game, why not devote half the interview to the standard crap their boss is expecting them to get and the other half to deeper stuff?

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 05:56:04 AM »
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

:rollin I had to signature that!
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline emtee

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2014, 07:00:14 AM »
Time is such a funny thing. The reflection about how WDaDU sounds is how JP will feel about DT12 in 20 years.  It always
seems to happen along with the clothes we are all wearing now. 20 years from now we look back and say...man we looked
like dorks. I happen to love WDaDU and I love how those songs are put together. Does it feel dated...yep, but I still love it.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2014, 07:42:41 AM »
Time is such a funny thing. The reflection about how WDaDU sounds is how JP will feel about DT12 in 20 years.  It always
seems to happen along with the clothes we are all wearing now. 20 years from now we look back and say...man we looked
like dorks. I happen to love WDaDU and I love how those songs are put together. Does it feel dated...yep, but I still love it.
I disagree. If that was the case, he would feel the same way about I&W and Awake, and he clearly doesn't. I think his description of WDADU is perfect, I actaully like the album, and so does JP, he's just saying there were a lot of things to be improved and I definetely agree. That's a difference between a classic and a dated album, a classic stands the test of time, the other doesn't. I&W sounds '80s, actually screams '80s, but the songwriting makes it stands the test of time in spite of that.

And I agree with Madman Shepherd, you need some standard questions since you don't know if the person watching already did the same with other interviews, I think the mix of new questions and old was very good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2014, 07:52:59 AM »
After all the talk about WDADU on this board - I finally gave it a listen not too long ago and was expecting it to sound dreadful but it was actually a lot better than I was

expecting.

Offline emtee

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2014, 08:19:48 AM »
Well I think if WDaDU had JLB on vocals and had the same production as I&W it would stand the test of time better. But as
far as how the songs themselves have aged I love them. Obviously the vocals and production qualities are subpar.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2014, 08:25:53 AM »
Well I think if WDaDU had JLB on vocals and had the same production as I&W it would stand the test of time better. But as
far as how the songs themselves have aged I love them. Obviously the vocals and production qualities are subpar.

CD is what really kills the album for me.  His vocals just don't work.
Over and over again

Offline robwebster

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2014, 12:20:34 PM »
Time is such a funny thing. The reflection about how WDaDU sounds is how JP will feel about DT12 in 20 years.
I don't think so. He speaks glowingly of Images and Words, which was only three years later, and his opinion of WDADU isn't new since 2011. WDADU isn't a glimmering capsule of 1989ness, it's just a slightly primordial DT album with a lot of cool songs that they didn't have the kit nor money to record properly.

Offline emtee

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
I guess we'll find out in 20 years  :laugh:

It really is amazing though how much things change in 20-25 years. Fashion, apparel, attitude, tastes in music, percentage of hair
on our skull. When I listen back to music I made in the 80's and how I looked it's impossible not to chuckle. But man oh man, back
then it all seemed normal and natural.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »

:rollin I had to signature that!

Wow...this has never happened to me!  :metal

Offline Invisible

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
Obviously the album would've been better with JLB and good production, but that's not the entire point. The songs themselves are very hit or miss, sometimes in the same song. I enjoy the songs, Myung is on fire and there are lots of cool ideas, but DT clearly needed to grow and evolve, some melodies are impossible to sing because of the words, JPs riff sometimes are repetitive and some songs are unpredictable in a bad way. I'll say it again, it's a good album, but nowhere near anything else they've done since.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 05:46:35 PM »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
After all the talk about WDADU on this board - I finally gave it a listen not too long ago and was expecting it to sound dreadful but it was actually a lot better than I was

expecting.

Is this the first time you listened to it...EVER? 

As far as my opinion goes, I still love WDADU INCLUDING Charlie's vocals.  Am I glad James is the vocalist now?  Hell yes, but CD is not nearly as bad as people make him out to be.  Some songs I think would have been better with James but others I think Charlie is actually a better fit than James. 

As far as the production goes, it is pretty shitty.  Long before I listened to Dream Theater I listened to a lot of underground recordings of European black metal so I can tolerate bad recordings and it will not affect me listening to it but still, comparatively it is pretty crappy.

The writing on the other hand is definitely their most amateurish but that is not a bad thing.  Most of it sounds professional but there are a few parts where I feel like they just though in some odd time signatures to be edgy and proggy.  Overall it doesn't detract too much.  I still think its a great album.