Author Topic: 2014-04-12 - Queen Elizabeth Theatre - Vancouver, BC  (Read 5662 times)

Offline billybobjoe1881

2014-04-12 - Queen Elizabeth Theatre - Vancouver, BC
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »
Anybody else going?  This is going to be my first DT show and my first time at Queen E. Theatre.  Still have no idea where this theatre is located.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:20:42 AM by cyberdrummer »

Offline PetFish

Re: 2014-04-12 - Queen Elizabeth Theatre - Vancouver, BC
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:47:48 AM »
Is anyone going and still need to purchase tickets?

If you can let me know ASAP I can grab them all together but it looks like lower balcony is the best available at this point.  About $65.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »
Got my tickets today using www.stubhub.com for $112 each.  Row 15 Center.  Yay me.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »
Got my tickets today using www.stubhub.com for $112 each.  Row 15 Center.  Yay me.

I'm sad I saw this too late. I have Row 10 Right center, I would have sold them to you much cheaper than that. Mine are on StubHub too, I wonder why you didn't buy them, they're quite a bit cheaper than any of the others on there. I'm still trying to unload my tickets... but I suppose if I can't I'll just drive up for the show.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:56:06 PM »
I'm going, and I'm so excited. My first time seeing them since SFAM tour.

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:50:50 AM »
3 days remaining.  I am so excited.

Offline The Mirror

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
This will be my 5th time seeing DT (Vancouver '08, '10, '11 & LA '12 are the other 4). I can't wait 'til tomorrow! :metal

"Rock journalism is people who can't write, preparing stories based on interviews with people who can't talk, in order to amuse people who can't read." ~ Frank Zappa, 1976

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »
Tonight's the night.  I am beyond excited for my first DT show.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:20:21 PM by billybobjoe1881 »

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »
The band was incredible. James hit every note like a freight train. It was great seeing Mangini be a robot in person. :) I'm still in afterglow.

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 11:32:20 AM »
That show was fantastic.  I can't believe how perfect these guys are. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
Wow....just wow....

I'll be the first one to admit that James (while not being deserving of all the flack he gets) does tend to have nights when he is a bit pitchy.     LAST NIGHT WAS NOT ONE OF THOSE NIGHTS!    James was absolutely **ON FIRE** and he hit every single note like a hungry 20 year old.   I have honestly never heard him sound better...and I have been to every tour (except SFAM) including the Score show.   

The Genie is a bit more of a "precision piece" than MP was....but I think there was a definite "joy of playing" factor going on on stage among all the band members.

The set list was fantastic.  Even one of the songs I wasn't looking forward to (The Enigma Factor) was just a freakin BEAST live.  The cartoon and the drum solo just brought that song to a whole new level.   I once thought that was a "meh" song...now I absolutely adore it.       I would have traded The Shattered Fortress for any other part of the 12 step suite...or another new song...but that would have been more of a suggestion than a complaint. 

The band was having fun, JLB never sounded better, the songs sounded even better live than in the studio...   Seriously, that was one of the best DT concerts I've ever been to.

EDIT!   Great to meet PetFish again.   Thank you Eric!   Next time, we'll have to meet for dinner.   And thanks to InfraRed for the tickets!  They were AMAZING!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 02:02:18 PM »
Nice,J Dude!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Mirror

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 02:32:49 PM »
I totally agree with the comments above.

Out of the 5 times I've seen DT, this was their best performance! I was 1st row (technically 5th row, since the first four rows are listed A, B, C & D) nearly dead centre. James KILLED it and he actually got me and the rest of us singing during several parts of the show, especially, "...One last timmmmmmmme...", near the end. Bloody hell, they all KILLED it! And considering Awake and SFAM are my two favourite DT albums, the only way the setlist could've been better is if they played both albums in their entireties. But that would've been too much to ask and is certainly not a complaint.

What a night! I'm still on a major high because of it!

Btw, James also stated that they would be coming back early next year! :metal
"Rock journalism is people who can't write, preparing stories based on interviews with people who can't talk, in order to amuse people who can't read." ~ Frank Zappa, 1976

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »
You guys put into words what I couldn't.  My first time at a DT show and it's in my top 3 of all time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »

Btw, James also stated that they would be coming back early next year! :metal

Great to hear!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »
BTW....I went into the show being very skeptical of Space Dye Vest based on reviews I've seen. 

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS SMOKIN???   Everything I had read made it sound like there was endless and mindless noodling during the bombastic ending....what I heard was actually very powerful, and yet completely understated.     I honestly want to believe that they "pulled it back" since the first few shows, because what I saw last night was nothing at all like the descriptions I was reading.     JLB did the higher register, but he nailed every note with perfect clarity and power and I thought it was absolutely amazing. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
Great to meet Jammindude again, it's been 11 years, and to see Infrared again but technically it's the first time cuz last time we were in the same room together but didn't realize who the other person was.

We should really try and organize a forum get-together before the next show.  Meet at a sushi place or something near the venue.

The show itself, man, Dream Theater are too good.  It's not even a fair fight.  I do hope they come back and play more of the new album cuz my favourite song is The Bigger Picture and that's not being played right now.  I don't hold Space-Dye Vest in nearly as high-regard as a lot of fans, but I do enjoy it, and the live version was great.  It's very powerful when the whole band comes in.

For me, the star was James.  My only issue with him over the years has been his stage presence, but on this tour, and starting on the last one, I feel he's doing much better in that aspect.  The last notes of Illumination Theory when he unisons with JP are breathtaking to say the least.

I thought the crowd was great, which is always a concern for me cuz Vancouverites are just too passive, almost Japanese-like when it comes to concerts, but everyone was singing and into it the whole night.

I actually didn't even feel compelled to take photos or video this time, I just enjoyed everything about it.  The intermission video with all the Youtube clips was awesome, especially, the Satch/Vai/JP one, that's my favourite.

I love the new Majesty guitar and I'd say white is my favourite colour for it.  I finally got to meet JM after so many years I almost crapped my pants when he came out cuz he's so enigmatic.  I really wish I would have brought my 1st edition of the Lifting Shadows to get signed.  Dammit.

Great.  Effing.  Show.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »
agree the show was awesome.  my only regret, and its a big one, was the omission of TSCO in the SFAM section.  thats probably my favourite song of all time.  when james said they'd be playing SFAM i was sure id finally get to hear it live.

i also went to the meet and greet, got a pic with the boys and had them sign my guitar.  very cool.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
(The Enigma Factor)

Wtf :lol

Glad you enjoyed the show though! :metal

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 08:10:19 PM »
agree the show was awesome.  my only regret, and its a big one, was the omission of TSCO in the SFAM section.  thats probably my favourite song of all time.  when james said they'd be playing SFAM i was sure id finally get to hear it live.

i also went to the meet and greet, got a pic with the boys and had them sign my guitar.  very cool.

I agree, The Spirit Carries On is one of my favourites as well and would of been amazing to see it live.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 09:25:21 PM »
(The Enigma Factor)

How do you feel about the Looking Machine prior to the show?

Edit: Crap, I read Factor as Glass for some reason.  I'm losing my mind here for a moment.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:31:24 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 10:03:41 PM »
BTW....I went into the show being very skeptical of Space Dye Vest based on reviews I've seen. 

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS SMOKIN???   Everything I had read made it sound like there was endless and mindless noodling during the bombastic ending....what I heard was actually very powerful, and yet completely understated.     I honestly want to believe that they "pulled it back" since the first few shows, because what I saw last night was nothing at all like the descriptions I was reading.     JLB did the higher register, but he nailed every note with perfect clarity and power and I thought it was absolutely amazing.

The "cool kids" want to make you think that Dream Theater doesn't have enough "emotion" to pull of Space Dye Vest, but don't be fooled; DT's rendition is extremely faithful and powerful.

With regard to JLB, in the interest of fairness, I heard recordings and he did sound pretty rough those first few nights.  He's gotten stronger with time and has hit those high notes gracefully in recent shows.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 10:52:38 PM »
Still can get back to Earth, but had a very busy Monday, so I am late in saying how AMAZING the show was! "Evening With" is the best way to see them! So happy we were able to experience that!
Amazing setlist and the guys were in great shape! I am glad to see everybody loved James as much as I did. I know I am usually in the very biased minority loving him so much :) But on Saturday he was just perfect! We were front row JP side and couldn't have had better view! The eye contact added a lot to the emotion! I still can't listen to music though, my ears hurt when I try. Never happened to me before.

The intermission video was hilarious!! I had a very good laugh! Nicely done :)

GREAT to meet PetFish somewhat more properly than last time. Looking forward to see the picture you took :)

jammindude, I am very happy you enjoyed the tickets! I posted my pictures in FB already, PM me if you need a link ;)

I am all up to try and have a proper meeting next time! I was hoping to meet jammindude for dinner, but last minute change in the plans that had to babysit our kids had us going to the venue late.
Hope James was right when he said they will swing again next year! Would be really nice!

Still on cloud 9! What a night!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 05:08:11 AM »