Author Topic: DT's live mistakes  (Read 14849 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: DT's live mistakes
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »
Guess Barry's a phony.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »
This would appear to be the show in question -  https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=712

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »
So he's not crazy and it did happen! Just not the encore.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2014, 05:08:07 PM »
Barry, are you sure it was Metropolis?  I know they did that at a few shows with Pull Me Under, and I think it is on one of the fan club releases.  I had never heard of them doing that with Metropolis.

Me neither! I checked and it's been taped. Unfortunately I don't have it, it's a GDT release.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
Completely forgot about this, altho I don't know if I'd say it was a DT mistake in the traditional sense.

I checked and it's been taped.
It was recorded and it's hilarious! Definitely something unique and makes the show worthwhile to collect for the bootleg fans out there. One thing in particular that I recall is that MP sped up the tempo pretty quickly, altho for the complex instrumental section, they played at close-to-normal speed.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2014, 09:33:27 PM »
I remember seeing a video on Youtube where LaBrie totally forgot the words in Pull Me Under. He stopped singing and said, "oh my god, I've only sung this like a thousand times..."

On the build up to the chorus, he said "okay, everyone help me out here, because obviously I need it!"

That was... at the Nokia Theater in LA in 2011... Second NA show of the Dramatic Tour... It was awesome.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2014, 09:52:57 PM »
I remember seeing a video on Youtube where LaBrie totally forgot the words in Pull Me Under. He stopped singing and said, "oh my god, I've only sung this like a thousand times..."

On the build up to the chorus, he said "okay, everyone help me out here, because obviously I need it!"

That was... at the Nokia Theater in LA in 2011... Second NA show of the Dramatic Tour... It was awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=u5h1Ioqx2ZU#t=134
James comes in too early in the second part of that verse and is off beat, then stops to regain position.

"I've only done this song two fucking thousand times"  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »
The sped up version of Metropolis is one of the greatest things ever.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:28 PM »
I need to see this.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2014, 08:00:15 AM »
They also managed to have a trainwreck playing one of their simplest songs. They even had to stop and restart. Fun times  ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rll6ggk-Y40

Offline Invisible

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2014, 08:29:31 AM »
I need to see this.
Me too :(.

And that PMU screw up was great :lol. And there are minor mistakes from JR and JP on their respective solos :P.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
They also managed to have a trainwreck playing one of their simplest songs. They even had to stop and restart. Fun times  ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rll6ggk-Y40

From the vid, sounds like MP messed up.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
Did some checking and Metropolis wasn't an encore at either of the times they played at Fleet Boston Pavilion. Encores were Learning To Live ( https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2002/fleet-pavilion-boston-ma-bd6cdf2.html ) and a cover of Won't Get Fooled Again ( https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2003/fleet-pavilion-boston-ma-43d6d393.html )

Damn, Misunderstood live? I mean my surprise might me a little silly, but I would have loved to see that live :lol
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »
AND I DON'T NEED YOUR MERCY FUCK
Not an error.

From last night: https://youtu.be/INW0zneWv6k?t=6m30s , https://youtu.be/gZl4CyLO5h4?t=2m26s
The Enigma Machine one is awesome. It was a mistake but it sounded REALLY cool.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »
Is it common in James to forget the lyrics that often?  :lol

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
SETLIST SPOILERS FROM CURRENT TOUR

James forgetting the lyrics to Lie from New York

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INW0zneWv6k&t=6m21s&hd=1

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »
That's exactly the same video and mistake posted by Grizz before, jonny.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
It was recorded and it's hilarious! Definitely something unique and makes the show worthwhile to collect for the bootleg fans out there. One thing in particular that I recall is that MP sped up the tempo pretty quickly, altho for the complex instrumental section, they played at close-to-normal speed.

What is GDT and how could I get hold of this bootleg? If it's unfeasible, could either of you gentlemen upload it?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2014, 02:33:08 PM »
That's exactly the same video and mistake posted by Grizz before, jonny.

So it is, only saw the Enigma Machine one.  :)

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2016, 05:06:38 AM »
Sorry. Found this thread and I couldn't resist the temptation of asking about that Metropolis sped up. I need to see it srsly.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Ruby Inferno

• Trapped in my phobia, possessed by anxiety
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2016, 03:09:22 PM »
I don't know if there is any footage of this, but when I saw Dream Theater on the 18th of February in London, first show of The Astonishing tour, James completely messed up the timing on The Walking Shadow. He said "As his weapon finds its victim, mortified, he's shocked to find the shadow is Faythe" waaaaay too early, long before the visuals actually showed Faythe being killed. :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2016, 02:53:27 PM »
I think JP messed up after his solo ends when coming back on the main riff on The Dark Eternal Night from Live at Luna Park, but I'm not quite sure.
I caught that too, but it didn't sound bad. It would be easy to make a mistake coming out of a crazy solo like that back into the main riff..lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »
I think JP messed up after his solo ends when coming back on the main riff on The Dark Eternal Night from Live at Luna Park, but I'm not quite sure.
I caught that too, but it didn't sound bad. It would be easy to make a mistake coming out of a crazy solo like that back into the main riff..lol

I don't think it's a mistake. He did it that way when I saw the Systematic Chaos tour (it's that way on Chaos in Motion) and he did it again when I saw the Dramatic tour. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2016, 08:26:51 PM »
I don't know if there is any footage of this, but when I saw Dream Theater on the 18th of February in London, first show of The Astonishing tour, James completely messed up the timing on The Walking Shadow. He said "As his weapon finds its victim, mortified, he's shocked to find the shadow is Faythe" waaaaay too early, long before the visuals actually showed Faythe being killed. :lol
Oh, that's a shame. It's my favourite section of the album, and he sang it perfectly when I saw them last month in Luna Park. In fact, it was John of whom I remember a few mistakes (at the beginning of "Dystopian Overture" and at the middle of "Heaven's Cove").

What I do remember about James is that some of the Arhys/Gabriel vocals sounded as if Faythe was singing, although maybe it had to do with the sound on the venue. Anyone had a similar experience?

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2016, 09:22:15 PM »
https://youtu.be/ucgNbxV2k2A?t=219

Can't stop laughing at this.. JP plays too early the final chord on the live version of ANB.. :lol
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)