Author Topic: DT's live mistakes  (Read 14819 times)

Offline aprilethereal

Re: DT's live mistakes
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 09:30:17 AM »
That fuckup of TLG is awesome :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 10:32:34 AM »

Offline Invisible

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 12:32:13 PM »
That fuckup of TLG is awesome :lol
Agree! :lol Pa para pa pa pa paaaa

I also hate those Youtube comments on Mangini screw up >:( He is human dammit!! This kind of music is not that different from sports, and I've seen sports legends like Federer or Nadal or Messi or younameit screw this big or worse on their respective careers, everyone can have an off night or period, dammit!!

On a lighter side, it's funny that Mangini made so many mistakes on a song he nailed on the audition :P. But I guess with this kind of pieces once you're off it's extremely difficult to catch up.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 12:47:22 PM »
Not a mistake but sort of relevant to the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tnZvnD0Kek

The power kept going out during TDoE at a show during what looks like the Black Clouds tour. MP does some soloing while they try to fix it. Pretty entertaining  :lol

Offline genome

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
JLB got one of the words wrong in The Looking Glass at Wembley... I think he sang "walking through the looking glass", and as he turned around he said "or watching..."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
Quote from: YouTube Trolls
" OMG Mangini screwed up one song at one gig - he sucks!!! Bring back Portnoy - who played with the band for 25 years and never made a single mistake  EVARRR !!!

::) ::) Disrespect reading ? Over 9000.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
Quote from: YouTube Trolls
" OMG Mangini screwed up one song at one gig - he sucks!!! Bring back Portnoy - who played with the band for 25 years and never made a single mistake  EVARRR !!!

::) ::) Disrespect reading ? Over 9000.
Or maybe he was being sarcastic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2014, 07:34:47 PM »
On You Tube ? impossibruuuuuu !!!

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
I think JP messed up after his solo ends when coming back on the main riff on The Dark Eternal Night from Live at Luna Park, but I'm not quite sure.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 02:37:54 AM »
Also, JP fucked up the beginning of the instrumental section of TEI quite a bit when I saw them in January.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
This TLG para pa pa pa pa pa pa is actually catchy as hell. I can't stop muttering it everytime I think about it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »
I remember years ago in L.A. JLB messed up the lyrics to an old song and he looked embarrassed, then came back with the next line.  I forget the song though.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2014, 05:30:38 PM »
There's the time that wasn't a mistake, per se, but James passed out during "The Killing Hand" and woke up moments later, continuing in time.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »
How about in the Metropolis 2000 tour outtakes during The Spirit Carries On, "And after we're gone...its a football game"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline clinks63

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2014, 10:10:34 PM »
JM one note mistake TSCO in Score..
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
It is how DT is handeling their mistakes that makes them so professional. They make the mistake and then continues on like nothing happened. Amateurs often struggle to recover....

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2014, 10:28:15 AM »
 I read somewhere that the orchestra on Score has made a lot of mistakes. Iīm not a musician so I didnīt pick them up, but if someone could point them out, that would be good to know.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2014, 10:29:38 AM »
I read somewhere that the orchestra on Score has made a lot of mistakes. Iīm not a musician so I didnīt pick them up, but if someone could point them out, that would be good to know.

Off the top of my head I definitely remember some intonation issues from the Score orchestra...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2014, 10:32:15 AM »
Oh god, yes. The intonation stuff is unbearable at times.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
There's the time that wasn't a mistake, per se, but James passed out during "The Killing Hand" and woke up moments later, continuing in time.

He didn't pass out, he just randomly tripped on some wire and fell. If he had indeed passed out right there without a warning signal I don't think the band would have carried on with their show for the remaining two hours.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
Off the top of my head I definitely remember some intonation issues from the Score orchestra...
And I believe they were a bit out of synch with the band, particularly on Metropolis. But then they fixed it for the live release.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »
Out of tune, out of sync and sloppy on some parts, but I wouldn't say a lot of mistakes. In fact, the first time I heard 6DOIT was on that DVD and I barely noticed anything, it wasn't until I familiarized better with the songs and re-heard on the CD that I started to notice the mistakes. I'm not a proper musician though, just a below-average guitar player with one year of music theory, so maybe to better trained ears it sounds worse.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2014, 12:36:10 PM »
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »

They mess up in the Overture of SDOIT many times with the notes and tempo. I don't know about the rest.

Offline Ad134

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »
I remember seeing a video on Youtube where LaBrie totally forgot the words in Pull Me Under. He stopped singing and said, "oh my god, I've only sung this like a thousand times..."

On the build up to the chorus, he said "okay, everyone help me out here, because obviously I need it!"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »

Yep I remember that unfortunately. It kind of killed the concert for me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline nemonius

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »
Sounds like a landing on a wrong note and then little impro solo by JP at the start of melody (Helsinki 2014, Trial of tears):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jBW_MEyGPwE#t=471

Little off topic but I hate way some people are pointing out DT's errors like the music is not what counts but perfect execution. Not refering to this topic though.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2014, 01:11:10 AM »
Sounds like a landing on a wrong note and then little impro solo by JP at the start of melody (Helsinki 2014, Trial of tears):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jBW_MEyGPwE#t=471
Oh yeah, I recalled JP playing a wrong note in Trial of Tears, but I didn't remember which part it was :D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
Few years back I saw Dream Theater at the Fleet Boston Pavilion where they have a very strict 11:00pm curfew.  They fine some absurd amount of money per minute past the curfew, like $20k a minute or something, right?

So Dream Theater are playing their encore and they have about 7 minutes left and they start playing Metropolis.  I don't think anyone realized the time when they started it, but Portnoy realized it about a minute into the song and he started creeping the tempo up.....by the time they were near the end of the song the entire band was in tears they were all laughing so hard and the audience was absolutely blown away, because despite the speed they played it pretty much note-perfect  :lol

I scoured youtube but couldn't find any video of it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
Few years back I saw Dream Theater at the Fleet Boston Pavilion where they have a very strict 11:00pm curfew.  They fine some absurd amount of money per minute past the curfew, like $20k a minute or something, right?

So Dream Theater are playing their encore and they have about 7 minutes left and they start playing Metropolis.  I don't think anyone realized the time when they started it, but Portnoy realized it about a minute into the song and he started creeping the tempo up.....by the time they were near the end of the song the entire band was in tears they were all laughing so hard and the audience was absolutely blown away, because despite the speed they played it pretty much note-perfect  :lol

Man, now I want to see this!!!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »
Seems like I've seen or heard that, but I can't put my finger on it now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »
james forgets the lyrics to the looking glass https://youtu.be/MiW2GYfSwqw?t=31m58s I just love how he fills in the blanks here

Yeah, that must've been hard to do.  Poor guy. :(  Although, his singing was right on the money.  Sounded great.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2014, 04:14:37 PM »

This sounds absolutely amazing, footage must be found!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2014, 04:30:10 PM »
Barry, are you sure it was Metropolis?  I know they did that at a few shows with Pull Me Under, and I think it is on one of the fan club releases.  I had never heard of them doing that with Metropolis. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »
Did some checking and Metropolis wasn't an encore at either of the times they played at Fleet Boston Pavilion. Encores were Learning To Live ( https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2002/fleet-pavilion-boston-ma-bd6cdf2.html ) and a cover of Won't Get Fooled Again ( https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2003/fleet-pavilion-boston-ma-43d6d393.html )
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.