Author Topic: DT's live mistakes  (Read 14820 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
DT's live mistakes
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »
DISCLAIMER: This thread is supposed to be light-hearted. We all know that there's few musicians so insanely capable as DT.

Was just listening to WDADRU, specifically "Light Fuse An Get Away". Right after

"Someone told me
Light fuse and get away
No gain, no pain
And when it's lust to dust you can
Crawl from the wreckage

I can see
What trust and loyalty have done
For me
Lying bleeding in the dark
With a thirst for revenge
And a dangerous heart"

in the instrumental section, JR is soooooo off with like five notes :lol
Sadly I can't link to it (official material), but on a certain Youtube video of the full concert that has ~75k views, it starts at 37:03.

Post hilarious live mistakes, preferably with links.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline robwebster

Re: DT's live mistakes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »
I love the trainwrecks. I'm not sure why. It might be listening to how they cope. There's one rendition of Pull Me Under, possibly in the context of When Images and Words Unite, where they go completely off the rails, and it's glorious.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:46:34 PM »
The one that I love more than anything is when they try to play the big unison towards the end of Metropolis and no one can get a grasp on the tempo. They have to try it like 3 times before they figure it out.

The other one I like is on LSFNY in Through My Words. I don't know what "laring one eternity" means, but it's probably close to "sharing one eternity."  :P
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:58:23 PM »
JP screws up a lead in OAMOT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-IObXtL4mg#t=2m10s

Jordan begins the organ part in AFIL with a wrong chord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDjNZ7QKXiA

I also remember JM's playing being a bit off during the intro to AFIL on WDADRU. How come most of their mistakes happen in WDADU songs? :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »
I can't stop laughing at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Bdy3vIqVI

:rollin :rollin

Or should I say I can't stop laughing at thiiiiiiiiiiiiis!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »
That's awesome :lol I'm surprised they didn't stop.

But, isn't there also some performance where they actually stopped?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
The one that I love more than anything is when they try to play the big unison towards the end of Metropolis and no one can get a grasp on the tempo. They have to try it like 3 times before they figure it out.

This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgP-WI7E3L0

Hilarious how JP and MP just launched into a completely different groove when they realized they were past the point of no return.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »
I'm still waiting for footage of the Dance of Eternity screw up that happened on the 2nd show of this tour?, I know it has to be out there, but I think people are being quite respectful not to release it just yet or something. But I wanna know what happened! I know the Overture mistake from the same night was grossly exaggerated.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »
AND I DON'T NEED YOUR MERCY FUCK

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
One that will always get me is Theresa Thomason's lyrical snafu in "The Spirit Carries On" in the LSFNY show. I mean, if you twist her words a bit, you can kind of make it work in context, but ah well...what can you do?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
One that will always get me is Theresa Thomason's lyrical snafu in "The Spirit Carries On" in the LSFNY show. I mean, if you twist her words a bit, you can kind of make it work in context, but ah well...what can you do?

-Marc.

I always thought that was such a shame. Especially because even if she DID mess up, she had such a great opportunity to fix it. If she said, "Please never forget. Don't let your memory of me disappear," it could've worked so much better. But yeah, otherwise it sounds like she's contradicting herself, lol.

Ah well, we're laring one eternity.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »

Hilarious how JP and MP just launched into a completely different groove when they realized they were past the point of no return.

I was at that show! :metal Still one of my favourite live moments. Talking to JR after the show, he was really bummed about that mistake, but the crowd loved it, and everyone I went with thought it was intentional fun anyway. It was at the end of an Evening With show in the middle of Summer in a shed, so I think that affected them a bit.
Unique moments like that make a show for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 09:56:11 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bIj46YI3_U&

Not sure what happened to JP at the 6:00 mark on Metropolis here, but he appears to be having a massive brain fart.

I was there and remembered this goof. JLB also fell off the stage the second he came out that night. I was so thankful he didn't hurt himself!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »

That one's pretty awesome! I love it when they just go into jamming whatever before they get their bearings and give it another try. Reminds me of the way they botched Learning to Live as heard on the 2000 Fan Club CD, which I think was from one of the German shows in the fall of 2000. They had intentionally included a bit of the Scorpions' "The Zoo"  towards the end, and later when they botched LtL, JP when back to playing The Zoo a second time.

I remember that they screwed up Metropolis at the Phoenix show in the summer of 2000 as well.

Finally, I remember Derek botched Metropolis at the WDaDR show. If you listen carefully, after the jamming where they go back into the written instrumental section (same place as in the video clip above), you'll notice you can't hear Derek's keys, since he got out of sync with the rest of the band. So during the mixing of WDaDR, they faded him out of the mix at that point until he recovered. Tho Derek deserves a break since it had been 6 years since he last played that song live.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
I remember that they screwed up Metropolis at the Phoenix show in the summer of 2000 as well.
That was the Phoenix 8/19/2000 bootleg. They didn't have to stop and restart once, but twice.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 11:50:27 PM »
I'm still waiting for footage of the Dance of Eternity screw up that happened on the 2nd show of this tour?, I know it has to be out there, but I think people are being quite respectful not to release it just yet or something. But I wanna know what happened! I know the Overture mistake from the same night was grossly exaggerated.

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSdIN5e5i_U

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 12:01:06 AM »

This?

Good lord, it hurt my brain just reading the comments. I understand that English isn't their first language, but... It still hurts!  :'(

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 12:17:30 AM »

This?

Is this actual, unedited footage from the night in question?  I understand the circumstances of that show were pretty dire, but that sounded awful.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 12:55:03 AM »

This?

Good lord, it hurt my brain just reading the comments. I understand that English isn't their first language, but... It still hurts!  :'(

Poor Mike. He does not deserve a lot of those comments considering that a lot of that is due to a monitor not playing in sync with the others.

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 12:59:47 AM »
Poor Mike. He does not deserve a lot of those comments considering that a lot of that is due to a monitor not playing in sync with the others.

I'm sure he's never even seen this video, or the comments below.

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 06:17:57 AM »
Recovering from an issue like that is a lot harder when you're playing to a click track. When Portnoy would mess up or something, the rest of the band could catch up or slow down to him, but one of the challenges of playing to a click track is that once you've started there is no stopping.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 06:34:38 AM »

-Marc.

It amazes me that nobody ever mentions her horrible trial off where she sounds like she literally chokes. lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 08:10:24 AM »
Recovering from an issue like that is a lot harder when you're playing to a click track. When Portnoy would mess up or something, the rest of the band could catch up or slow down to him, but one of the challenges of playing to a click track is that once you've started there is no stopping.

Depends on the click track. If it's really just "tick tock tock tock..." then yeah, you're doomed once you're out. But, if they for example have a soft track in the back that lets you know where exactly you are (I.e. the plain CD track), you'll immediately get back in. I watched a Gavin Harrison video the other day where he explained that his click track is quite elaborate. He has voiceovers on it that inform him of upcoming changes ("two bars until break" etc).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 08:14:02 AM »

Depends on the click track. If it's really just "tick tock tock tock..." then yeah, you're doomed once you're out. But, if they for example have a soft track in the back that lets you know where exactly you are (I.e. the plain CD track), you'll immediately get back in. I watched a Gavin Harrison video the other day where he explained that his click track is quite elaborate. He has voiceovers on it that inform him of upcoming changes ("two bars until break" etc).

I seem to recall an MM interview where he said that he had both click and the song, but eventually preferred having just the song to play along with. Could be wrong on that though.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 08:45:39 AM »
james forgets the lyrics to the looking glass https://youtu.be/MiW2GYfSwqw?t=31m58s I just love how he fills in the blanks here
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 09:06:02 AM »
james forgets the lyrics to the looking glass https://youtu.be/MiW2GYfSwqw?t=31m58s I just love how he fills in the blanks here

:rollin

In Moscow he got them alright.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 09:08:31 AM »

This?

FINALLY. I've been looking for that since January  :lol
And wow did he get off. He was playing the right part for most of it, it's just that he was a quarter note off beat with the rest of the guys. It sounds like what happened is that he was playing the part a quarter note off, and when he realized he was off, he scrambled to try and get to where everyone else was without having to stop playing completely. It took a few seconds but he caught back up and then finished the song. As shown in the videos above, everyone makes mistakes. If you miss just one quarter note in a song like this, you're fucked click track or not. To try and catch up without stopping is almost impossible. Would've been pretty funny to see live actually lol

I love the comments saying he can't play Portnoy's parts or that Portnoy never screwed them up etc. There's not a single musician on earth that hasn't messed up at least once live I'm willing to bet. Shit there's officially released evidence of MP messing up on Score on Raise the Knife. If you watch the drum cam he plays the last bit before the final chorus off and they added in the right notes in the studio.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 09:57:44 AM »
 I was at that show where they messed up TDOE...what a tough night that must have been for the band, with technical difficulties, songs being removed from the setlist due to the show starting late, and the big screen not working.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »
I was at that show where they messed up TDOE...what a tough night that must have been for the band, with technical difficulties, songs being removed from the setlist due to the show starting late, and the big screen not working.

I can't imagine anyone in the DT camp was happy with how that show turned out, but I think they did the best they could under the circumstances.
The only consolation is that it wasn't on the first show, not being able to reveal the whole setlist at the show. Imagine if that had happened!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
 That would be twice as tough. And the guys were still quite worried even on their next gig in Pamplona, where a lot more things were fixed, but it still wasn´t the full show - they played all the songs, but some of the stuff on the screen was still not 100%. The next one in Barcelona was MUCH better, and to a much bigger audience than the previous two nights. The venue was special too, a place where some of the competitions of the Barcelona Olympic Games were held in 1992.

Online Mladen

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 01:34:47 PM »
I was there and remembered this goof. JLB also fell off the stage the second he came out that night. I was so thankful he didn't hurt himself!
Why isn't a video of this out there? I only heard about it in an interview that James did a while ago and he was laughing about it. I can only imagine what was going through his head. ''Good evening, yeeeaaaah, you sure love me, I'm awesome... oh shit, the stage ends here!''  :lol

That was hilarious.  :rollin

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 01:41:33 PM »

shoo bee doo bop ba dop da daaaa

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »
Another cool mistake comes from that video.

The intro for the ToT (the next song in that video) is unusually long for how they're currently playing it. According to Dave in Manchester (from MP.com), JR must've gotten lost in the moment, waiting for JP to signal the end of the intro, and JP was waiting for JR to do the same. Finally MM gave a little drum roll to get things moving.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 08:51:33 PM »
Another cool mistake comes from that video.

The intro for the ToT (the next song in that video) is unusually long for how they're currently playing it. According to Dave in Manchester (from MP.com), JR must've gotten lost in the moment, waiting for JP to signal the end of the intro, and JP was waiting for JR to do the same. Finally MM gave a little drum roll to get things moving.
That was actually really cool