Author Topic: J-Pop/J-Rock Drumming Medley  (Read 1031 times)

Offline RandalGraves

J-Pop/J-Rock Drumming Medley
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:57:26 AM »
Hello all!  While I usually shoot short films and the like, a good friend of mine always wanted to shoot a drumming video.  He pieced together some J-Pop/Rock tunes he likes and we threw together a little video for it.  Any feedback is welcome, as this was a first for both of us, but I hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7vea6847-k&list=UUQyhuuAf6mUSFPsl8GaWzmg

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: J-Pop/J-Rock Drumming Medley
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »
The video editing was very good, so well done there. :tup The drums could have come up in the mix, because I often had trouble hearing the parts he was playing (hi hats were loud enough, but not the snare/bass).
Also the timing seemed off in places, which may have been a sync issue when putting it together? Niggles aside, great for a first attempt!

I know the credits are at the end, but I don't know what's what, so what was the song at 1:30?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
Thanks, Blob!  I agree with the drums, however they weren't mic'd, so we just had the sound from the camera (which wasn't bad considering).  We definitely did have some syncing issues, though.  Doug was telling me of some of the issues of playing music on an ipod/phone versus editing software, and inconsistencies between the two.  I hadn't really looked into it myself, and I thought, "Not sure if covering up for sloppy playing...".  Hahahah, I'm sure it's a thing, but any part we had a problem of covering up, I lowered the drums just a touch.  You'll notice that's mostly in the first half.

As for the song in question, I believe that's Alsatia by Galneryus.  The portion we used starts at 2:48 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHx8MioELks

I can't say I'm familiar with any of the songs (not really a genre I dabble in) but I've always wanted to work on something more music-related.  Thanks again for the feedback!  I've been a fan of your work for years!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »
I didn't realize that was direct from camera. As you said, not bad considering!
I don't think he's covering up for sloppy playing. There were a few little timing issues, but at one point there definitely seemed to be drift due to different playback speeds. If you could do playback and recording via the same program, that should solve that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.