Author Topic: New Agora Forte Album - Contagious  (Read 1620 times)

Offline icarus4321

New Agora Forte Album - Contagious
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »
I know it's been quite awhile since I've been active, but I'm hoping that some of you will enjoy our new album.  We put a lot of work and time into the follow-up to our debut, Monuments.  The album is available to stream in full on Spotify, and it you like it, you can buy on iTunes and Amazon.

Comments are definitely appreciated!

Track Listing
1.  The Widow's Poison
2.  Floodgate
3.  Mary After Midnight
4. Constellation
5. Fractalize
6. The Garden
7. Rickshaw
8. Tetanus
9. Rut and Groove
10. Kaleidoscopes
11. The Widow's Portrait

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/agoraforte

iTunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id834420120?ign-mpt=uo%3D4
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: New Agora Forte Album - Contagious
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:14:19 PM »
Took a chance and gave The Widow's Portrait a listen. Really nice stuff man, love the epic old school prog feel of it, though with a certain edginess and aggressiveness to it as well. Great tune man!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:38:08 PM »
I'm buying it right now on Amazon.com - sounds pretty killer  :tup

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
Took a chance and gave The Widow's Portrait a listen. Really nice stuff man, love the epic old school prog feel of it, though with a certain edginess and aggressiveness to it as well. Great tune man!!!

Thanks for giving us a shot!  I'm glad you liked The Widow's Portrait.  That song is the final part of a suite of songs that includes The Widow's Poison and Mary After Midnight.  If you dig the epic old school prog w/ a bit of contemporary metal fusion, give our song The Last Goodbye a shot from Monuments too.  I have a feeling you'll dig that one. 

My last.fm Profile

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 08:11:46 PM »
I'm buying it right now on Amazon.com - sounds pretty killer  :tup

Thanks!  We really appreciate the support!

Once you get a few listens in, stop back and let me know your overall thoughts. 

My last.fm Profile

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »
Hey, circling back to this thread just to say I have really been enjoying listening to this album.

I have a few very, very minor issues with some of the production choices that were made, but musically it's pretty bitchin' man  :tup

In a fairly over-crowded genre that's overflowing with general mediocrity and Dream Theater wannabees, I think this album stands apart from most because it sounds different, both in terms of the sonic experience and the actual songwriting.  Not sure which track I like the most yet.  Constellation is the one that has stuck with me the most.

Glad I bought it.  And I'm pretty sure that some of the usual suspects around here would probably dig this as well.

You should be proud of this release, bro.  Thumbs up from me  :tup 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:51:34 AM by kirksnosehair »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 03:55:53 PM »
  And I'm pretty sure that some of the usual suspects around here would probably dig this as well.

I'll check this out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
Thanks again for listening!

One of the things that I love about playing with this group is all of the different influences that everyone brings to the table.  We have never gone into the songwriting process with expectations.  Everything just organically flows together, because that's just what feels natural to us as a group.  I'm glad that the album sounds unique in that regard. 

AND I personally appreciate the Constellation love.  We were wrapping up the writing process and I happened to sit down with this beautiful Taylor guitar at a local shop.  The main framework for the first half of the song just spewed out of it in the 10 minutes that I was able to play it.  The way that guitar sang was really inspiring in that moment. 

My last.fm Profile

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 06:51:56 AM »

AND I personally appreciate the Constellation love.  We were wrapping up the writing process and I happened to sit down with this beautiful Taylor guitar at a local shop.  The main framework for the first half of the song just spewed out of it in the 10 minutes that I was able to play it.  The way that guitar sang was really inspiring in that moment.

It's always fascinating to me to hear about how musicians were inspired to write certain songs.  For me, inspiration has been all over the map.  Physical, emotional and sexual abuse as a child makes great fodder for some very dark and angry sounding music that I've written.  In the last 4 or 5 years my life has taken some really huge twists and turns, most of it in a good way, and so now the stuff I seem to be writing is more positive and uplifting in nature.  Clearly my mood and emotional state of being are influential in the stuff I create.  I suspect it's the same with others.

Specific melodies come to me at the weirdest times.  In fact, fairly recently I had an outpatient procedure done at my doctor's office.  They knocked me out to do the work.  When I came out of it, I was in the recovery room and the machines were beeping in this syncopated, melodic way.  That melody managed to wind its way into a song I recently wrote.

Pretty cool stuff.

Questions about your album:  Did you guys self produce?  Is all of the instrumentation actually played by someone or are there some midi-sequenced instruments in there?

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:07:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm always fascinated by how other people write and are influenced by life.  Historically, I tend to be far more creative when I'm in a negative state, which is quite unfortunate.  There's a clarity and aggressiveness that manifests in sadness and anger that I just don't inherently have when I'm feeling good.  I think that's why I appreciated how Constellation came to be.  It came from a positive space and felt organic and unforced (even if it is a bit melancholic).

I took up the guitar after a major accident forced me to quit playing sports (football, basketball, and baseball), so music has always been cathartic for me.  I had to direct my focus somewhere, and I was lucky enough to find music.  In that way, I've always associated inspiration with negative emotions, so it's taken a LONG time to break that. 

In terms of the album, it was self produced.  We did everything on our own.  All of the instrumentation outside of drums/bass/guitars was composed and directly played with my Korg Triton LE keyboard. 

My last.fm Profile