Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 50204 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official KISS thread?
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2014, 04:12:26 AM »
Dressed To Kiss is such a great album and that is a killer cover for an album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2014, 05:44:17 AM »
Have always LOVED Goin' Blind. Hugely underrated.

Hotter Than Hell has really clicked for me on this marathon. I like the heavier, dirty sound.

Great album, shit production. Side 2 is just awesome but usually ignored live.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2014, 06:55:10 AM »
Side one and side two.  Words rarely used these days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
That's because they've become irrelevant. :biggrin:

I agree Hotter Than Hell is a pretty good album, although the production is balls. The live versions of all Alive 1 songs are far superior, and the definitive versions.
The second half of the album only has Watchin' You. The rest is ignored live for a good reason. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2014, 07:16:55 AM »
You should know youngster impersonating and old fogey. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2014, 08:13:28 AM »
We used to play Goin' Blind in a band way back in junior high.  Since it wasn't from Alive! I didn't know the song, so the lead guitarist lent me his copy of Hotter Than Hell so I could learn it.  It was my first venture into studio KISS, and to this day, I still prefer Hotter Than Hell over the rest of the early studio stuff.  Except probably DestroyerDestroyer is great.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
Have always LOVED Goin' Blind. Hugely underrated.

Hotter Than Hell has really clicked for me on this marathon. I like the heavier, dirty sound.

This is why Hotter Than Hell was always my favorite of the early albums.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »
The rest is ignored live for a good reason. :lol
Whoa -- totally disagree!!  I'll grant you that Mainline is weak ... but Strange Ways?  Coming Home?  All The Way?  Love them all!!  :2metal:

My favorite of the early trio of albums is "Dressed to Kill."  Always loved that one.  :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »
Whoa -- totally disagree!!  I'll grant you that Mainline is weak ... but Strange Ways?  Coming Home?  All The Way?  Love them all!!  :2metal:

My favorite of the early trio of albums is "Dressed to Kill."  Always loved that one.  :tup

Hey- I even love Mainline! Not a poor song on dressed.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »
Don't worry, Lowdz, I'm such a biased KISS fanatic that I love Mainline, too, but I can admit it's the weakest song on side 2.   :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »
I am a Kiss nut but I will never say I like "Read My Body". :lol

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2014, 04:29:55 PM »
I am a Kiss nut but I will never say I like "Read My Body". :lol

Thanks, king .... now it's running on repeat in my head.....   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
Hotter Than Hell made The TAC Top 50.  Strange Ways is a Top 5 Kiss track for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2014, 09:49:55 PM »

Coming Home's a good song, although there's too much other Alive era material that I'd rather hear. I hate Mainline and Strange Ways, and can't really remember All The Way off the top of my head.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2014, 04:10:46 AM »
All the way and Strange ways are my favorites on Hotter than hell, along with Parasite.  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2014, 04:20:48 AM »
I'd love for KISS to do a theatre tour and do an alternate setlist. All those great songs they've ignored for decades. My favourite KISS songs are not represented in the greatest hits tours of the last 20 years.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2014, 06:25:14 AM »
This one wasn't bad

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/2004/palais-theatre-melbourne-australia-3d405ef.html

I saw them at the Sydney show of that tour, my first gig.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/2004/sydney-superdome-sydney-australia-13d545bd.html

Great setlist, but I'm still pissed that Perth got Creatures of the Night, and we got shitty King of the Night Time World as the opener instead. Aside from that, I loved the setlist.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/2004/waca-ground-perth-australia-33d4b895.html

And what an amazing setlist that is! They were playing a more varied setlist when they first started with Tommy and Eric, before settling into the more familiar setlists.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »
Well, I've been lucky enough to see Kiss on these tours.

1979 - Dynasty tour (11 years old and poor dad sat through it all)
1984 - Anilmalize tour (w/ Queensryche opening)
1985/86-- Asylum tour --  my least favorite tour.
1990 -- Hot In The Shade tour -- worst album but best tour of the non makeup shows until Revenge. (2 that tour w/ Slaughter and Winger)
1992 -- Revenge  -- Pure awesomeness
1996 - Alive Worldwide tour -- Reunion tour which was awesome.
1998 Psycho Circus tour  -- The cracks were showing
2010 -- Sonic Boom tour -- Great, great tour.  Musically they were so tight.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2014, 09:10:13 AM »
Hotter Than Hell made The TAC Top 50.  Strange Ways is a Top 5 Kiss track for me.

Made my top 100, in the 70s. Easily the best of the first three Kiss albums by a mile.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »

Made my top 100, in the 70s. Easily the best of the first three Kiss albums by a mile.

I'd rank the debut slightly higher for songs, and way higher for production. Dressed To Kill is easily the weaker of the first 3 albums though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2014, 09:25:02 AM »

I'd rank the debut slightly higher for songs, and way higher for production. Dressed To Kill is easily the weaker of the first 3 albums though.

I agree.   More filler on DtK than the other two.   And while Destroyer is still good, it's my least favorite of the first 6.   Too polished, and too many songs I just don't care for that much. 

Hotter Than Hell
Kiss
Love Gun
Dressed to Kill
Rock n Roll Over
Destroyer

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
I thought I was the only one who didn't think Destroyer was one of their best. I don't mind the polished sound, but there are only a few songs on there I love, and too much deviating from the standard hard rock. It didn't suit them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2014, 09:46:44 AM »
I thought I was the only one who didn't think Destroyer was one of their best. I don't mind the polished sound, but there are only a few songs on there I love, and too much deviating from the standard hard rock. It didn't suit them.

I'm about the same - always thought Destroyer's status was overdone.  I really only listen to 2-3 tracks from it ...........Detroit Rock City is of course a ripper.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2014, 09:50:27 AM »
I think some have been tainted from Destroyer because we found out who really played on some of the album but truthfully isn't that the case with most of their albums? :lol

Really is was a jarring change of style but I still love the album though RNRO is my favorite.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
I think some have been tainted from Destroyer because we found out who really played on some of the album but truthfully isn't that the case with most of their albums? :lol

That hasn't tainted any KISS album for me, it's just an expectation and assumption! :lol
I do believe RNRO is just the members of KISS though, and I rank that highest of the Alive 2 albums, ahead of Love Gun, and lastly Destroyer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »

That hasn't tainted any KISS album for me, it's just an expectation and assumption! :lol
I do believe RNRO is just the members of KISS though, and I rank that highest of the Alive 2 albums, ahead of Love Gun, and lastly Destroyer.

At least they all actually did play on the first six albums.   :rollin   

But ya.   I really love Love Gun, so I'm glad the that the true original era went out with a bang.    As far as Destroyer goes... Beth, Sweet Pain, Great Expectations, and Flaming Youth are all pretty weak to me.   Shout it Out Loud is OK, but like some Kiss songs, it can suffer from "overdoing it"...   The rest is awesome.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2014, 10:16:14 AM »

Ah, KISS. I excuse them from many things that I wouldn't tolerate from any other band. :lol
Given the flaky nature of Ace and Peter in later years, it doesn't bother me one bit though.
And they weren't fooling anyone with COTN. Yeah, that sounded just like Ace. :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2014, 10:22:58 AM »

Ah, KISS. I excuse them from many things that I wouldn't tolerate from any other band. :lol
Given the flaky nature of Ace and Peter in later years, it doesn't bother me one bit though.
And they weren't fooling anyone with COTN. Yeah, that sounded just like Ace. :lol

That whole thing really irks me...mostly just because the bridges hadn't *really* been burned yet (well, emotionally maybe, but the contract was still in place obviously) and it seems like CotN was *exactly* the album that Ace always bitched about wanting to do.     I would like to think that at any given moment, Ace *COULD* have walked up to Gene and Paul and at least said, "Hey, you know what?  I was really disillusioned with the last 2 or 3 albums, but this new direction is really cool.  Maybe we can work out moving forward..."     

I know I was complaining not too long ago that we've never heard Ace make a comment on the CotN material...which is strange because he would have AT LEAST heard I Love it Loud since he appeared in the music video.      They're in a room together and making press appearances together and they can't have a conversation?   Baffling...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2014, 01:03:13 PM »
Come on guys.  That was totally Peter Criss playing drums on "Torpedo Girl."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »
This one wasn't bad

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/2004/palais-theatre-melbourne-australia-3d405ef.html

That's a great setlist for KISS but I hate I Love It Loud. And Blob, KOTNW is one of my favourite ever KISS songs and is no way "shitty"!

And first 6?

Hotter Than Hell
Love Gun
KISS
RnRO
Dressed To Kill
Destroyer

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »
I still remember loosing my shit when on the HITS tour they started to play I Want You.  Paul let out that huge, "IIIIIIISSSSSSSSS"!!

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2014, 02:33:57 PM »
Really dig Mainline and all of HTH, and don't like Read My Body, nor the vast majority of HITS. That early part of the 2004 Downunder was pretty cool. Really wish they would do more like that. I haven't seen them in years as a result. I've seen pretty much the exact same show 3 times.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2014, 09:17:01 PM »
This one wasn't bad

That's a great setlist for KISS but I hate I Love It Loud. And Blob, KOTNW is one of my favourite ever KISS songs and is no way "shitty"!

I Love it Loud is way better than KOTNW. Your opinion is invalid!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2014, 08:27:24 AM »
As Destroyer made my top 15, I'm just gonna have to stick my fingers in my ears and go "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU."  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.