Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 50164 times)

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
Re: Official KISS thread?
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2014, 08:03:50 AM »
Def Lep is doing another residency at the Hard Rock in Vegas this fall for the anniversary of Pyromania so I, too, am hoping for more older stuff.

I haven't heard the Night Ranger opening rumor although that would be a great lineup -- yesterday the news all said it was just KISS and Def Lep.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2014, 03:11:37 PM »
That was the hot gossip at melodicrock.com, but seems its not now the case.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »
I purchased tickets through the KISS presale this morning.  Can I sound like an old guy for a second and talk about how ridiculous ticket prices have gotten?  :sad: Two tickets on the fourth row of the lower bowl of the arena with all the various service charges -- $340 US.  These are now officially the most expensive tickets I've ever purchased for a show.  The first KISS show I attended back in the 70s?  $6 each.  Yeah, I'm old....  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
Yeah, I would not pay that money for any show.  That's nuts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »
King, it looks like the way of the future, unfortunately.  I noticed that Cher is playing the same arena so I looked just to see what she's getting at the same place -- $195 per ticket BEFORE service charges.  And it was almost sold out.  Insanity!!

Thankfully I still tend to hit smaller shows more often -- nice intimate setting, lower prices.  Saw REO Speedwagon this weekend and sat in the 4th row of a sold-out show for $50 total, then saw Black Tusk, Auric, The Cowards and Antartichrist the next night at a local place for a mere $10. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »
I've been staying away from the bands that are not touring for a new album that charge those kinds of rates.  For Me, if I'm going to pay that kind of money, (#135 for Rush tickets) at least they toured backing a new album.  Just my little pet peeve.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
That's a fair point.  I might have skipped this tour cycle for KISS if not for the fact that my daughter said she finally (!) wanted to go with me to one and see what a KISS show is all about, and I'm hoping Def Lep does some retro stuff in anticipation of their Pyromania anniversary since I haven't seen them live since they were an opening act.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2014, 04:11:55 PM »
1983 for me with DL.  Night Ranger 85(?)  7 Wishes tour and Kiss, well, I've seen them 11 times.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »
That's a fair point.  I might have skipped this tour cycle for KISS if not for the fact that my daughter said she finally (!) wanted to go with me to one and see what a KISS show is all about, and I'm hoping Def Lep does some retro stuff in anticipation of their Pyromania anniversary since I haven't seen them live since they were an opening act.

I'm the same...............seen KISS maybe 8 or 9 times and , especially given the state of Paul's voice  , the ONLY reason I would even consider paying to see KISS these days is if my little bloke (just turned six) was interested and I thought he could last long enough to make it a non disaster of a night.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2014, 08:46:58 PM »
When they're young it's tough.  My youngest went to her first show -- U2 -- when she was 8, and they just don't have the stamina for it at that point even if it's one they really want to see.  She is now 13 and stays up later than my on weekends, so when she expressed interest I said I'd get the tickets.  ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2014, 09:24:06 PM »
I purchased tickets through the KISS presale this morning.  Can I sound like an old guy for a second and talk about how ridiculous ticket prices have gotten?  :sad: Two tickets on the fourth row of the lower bowl of the arena with all the various service charges -- $340 US.  These are now officially the most expensive tickets I've ever purchased for a show.  The first KISS show I attended back in the 70s?  $6 each.  Yeah, I'm old....  :lol

The Rolling Stones are playing the stadium here (actually they just postponed the shows), and the back couple of rows of the rear elevation are $200. Then it's $375 for the rest of the second elevation. Then it's $580 for the first elevation and the floor. An absolute rip-off, yet both shows sold out in about an hour each. Unbelievable! I wouldn't pay that for any band.

I saw KISS in 2004 when they first toured with Thayer. I wasn't even going to go to that until I heard they'd kicked out Peter Criss for Eric Singer. That excited me. :hat
At that point, Paul was still sounding great, as he does on Alive IV. The setlist also had a lot more '80s songs and some curveballs, so that was a great show, and my first concert.
The next time they came out I didn't go just because they'd settled into playing the Alive 1/2 setlist.

I didn't even consider going when they came out last year, because now they're tuning down a whole step, which sounds like ass, and Paul is a liability. The tuning down doesn't help that much, so I don't know why they still bother with that.
Paul's had a few vocal surgeries for his issues, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. I don't think it's just from old age, I think he's shot from over-touring the past decade. It's a shame that one of rock's greatest frontmen is now one of the weakest vocalists in the band. :(
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:32:10 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
If anyone's interested - RRHOF acceptance speeches

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kiss-hall-of-fame-induction/
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2014, 11:27:24 AM »
I thought they were remarkably well behaved, almost classy, considering the circus that has led up to this.  And they stuck to their guns, too.  They didn't play, because they didn't think it would be right.  Sometimes bands think about what the fans want; they usually do that more than they admit or get credit for.  But sometimes bands have to do what they think is right.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
I have to say I agree with $immons and Stanley's stance on this charade. All of KISS should have been inducted. To say they only existed in the 70s is a joke and is not the same treatment other bands got from the same bunch of tossers.

And for Criss and Frehley to complain at others using their makeup is their own fault for selling it. Can't have it both ways. They gave up their rights for hard cash and most probably wasted it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
I have to say I agree with $immons and Stanley's stance on this charade. All of KISS should have been inducted. To say they only existed in the 70s is a joke and is not the same treatment other bands got from the same bunch of tossers.

And for Criss and Frehley to complain at others using their makeup is their own fault for selling it. Can't have it both ways. They gave up their rights for hard cash and most probably wasted it.

I agree, although I don't expect every single member to have been inducted, but at the very least Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick, who were both a huge part of KISS in the '80s.
I thought they kept things civil and classy at the ceremony.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2014, 12:36:14 PM »
I would have liked to seen all members but Eric Singer and Tommy go in. I do love Revenge, but Eric's tainted it. After Ace and Pete left the second time the band has a set-list filled overwhelmingly with songs Ace and Pete played on, and made two albums that sound like outtakes from the first 6 albums. No new costumes, very few new ideas, and now a football team, come on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2014, 01:27:05 PM »
Just watched the link to Kiss' induction speeches. Great job, especially Gene. I think he's one of the most classless people out there, yet his speech was incredibly humble and appreciative. Love how he referenced Bruce as the "Great" Bruce Kulick.

And I want to say that I love Paul Stanley. For some reason, I never cared for him growing up, but looking back at it, he's really one of the greatest Rock n Roll personalities of all time.

I washed my hands of Kiss the last time I saw them back in 2000 or so. I literally felt ripped off, and I have not accepted Tommy Thayer in the band for some reason. That said, I was always a huge Kiss fan from the first album I ever bought (Kiss Alive II) up until that last show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
I would rank Paul Stanley near the top for best rock frontmen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
I would rank Paul Stanley near the top for best rock frontmen
Oh absolutely.

And in a way, for some reason I feel like he's a little underrated.

Look up Rock n Roll in the dictionary and there should be a picture of Paul Stanley.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »

I agree with all of this, but Ace and Peter sold their rights to the makeup because they weren't in the band anymore, the cash sounded good, so what the hell.  I still take issue with the other side of it, which is the current rule that "whoever plays lead guitar is Ace, and whoever plays drums is The Cat".  Oh yeah, it's not "Ace", it's "The Spaceman" or whatever, but come on.  That's really the problem, and regardless of who sold what or who owns what, it still seems kinda dumb to me.  The characters are forever linked to the people who created them, and really, I'm sure it didn't even occur to Ace and Peter that the characters would be reused like that (although I'm sure Gene and Paul were thinking of exactly that).

Eric Carr started a pretty cool thing with The Fox.  He created a new character.  I liked the idea that if they get a new member, he comes up with his own makeup and persona.  They could've stuck with that, and if/when any past members came back, no problem.  They could've had a massive reunion jam last night with a dozen guys up there in all different, unique makeup.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »
  They could've had a massive reunion jam last night with a dozen guys up there in all different, unique makeup.

Not sure why but that thought made me  :lol. The visual in my mind is ridiculous, yet it'd be so Kiss.

Even Vinnie had his own thing.

I respect that Eric Singer is in the band, but dressing up as Peter is pretty lame. And Tommy Thayer? Puleeze.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2014, 02:53:40 PM »
Yeah, I like the visual, too.  In some alternate reality, each KISS member past or present has his own unique makeup, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doesn't suck, nobody died, and they were all up there last night pounding out "Rock and Roll All Night".

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
I'm a little new to the history of KISS, so I had no idea that Ace and Peter were no longer band members. I thought they were because I kept seeing pictures of the band with two guys wearing the Catman and Spaceman outfits. But I did some research about the history of the band when i found this out: Wow. And I thought Roger Waters and David Gilmour had issues. I watched the ceremony last night, and Paul Stanley was being such a dick. His body language and disregard of Peter and Ace when they gave their speeches just showed he was being a poor sport.

Also, I love Peter said "In or out of make-up, i'll always be the Catman"  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
I didn't get that feeling from Paul. I may have to rewatch it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Yeah, I didn't either.  They all seemed pretty cool with each other to me.  But body language can be more subtle and I wasn't really watching for it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
Yeah, I didn't either.  They all seemed pretty cool with each other to me.  But body language can be more subtle and I wasn't really watching for it.

I didn't think Paul was rude, but I guess I felt like he was thinking Peter is doing his same old rambling, and Ace is making a fool out of himself again. But I didn't think he was being rude at all.

And I still can't get over Gene's graciousness.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »
It wont top when the band was on Tom Snyder and Ace made a fool of himself.  Paul and Gene were not impressed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »
It wont top when the band was on Tom Snyder and Ace made a fool of himself.  Paul and Gene were not impressed.

Especially a Gene!

That is an all time classic. One of my favorite things I've ever watched.
Ace was so hammered. Tom loved him.

"I play the trout" :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »
Initially Gene and Paul seemed to get a kick out of it, but that seemingly turned to disgust.

Its a classic

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »
"Tell me about it". :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
"Tell me about it". :lol
That's Ace's best line of the show!  :mehlin

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
I just watched the full show again right now.  Funny stuff.

Gene (George) sure is a good "bass" player

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »
I think I've referenced my love for that interview on the forums before............absolute classic.

Actually......I'm a plumber  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2014, 06:46:56 AM »
Anyone catch KISS on Jimmy Fallon last night?  They played King of the Nighttime World.

I thought it sucked.  I was disappointed, I was really looking forward to it.  But at least they had the full display, pyro and all.  I didn't like it, but it was definitely  :metal

Cooler than that was all the respect that Fallon and the Roots showed for KISS leading up to the performance (which ended the show).  That was really nice to see and hear.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2014, 08:12:46 AM »
Anyone catch KISS on Jimmy Fallon last night?  They played King of the Nighttime World.

I thought it sucked.  I was disappointed, I was really looking forward to it.  But at least they had the full display, pyro and all.  I didn't like it, but it was definitely  :metal

Cooler than that was all the respect that Fallon and the Roots showed for KISS leading up to the performance (which ended the show).  That was really nice to see and hear.

There's a link on Facebook for a performance of Black Diamond too, which sounded fine to me but had less of Paul singing which is a good thing these days.