Author Topic: BABYMETAL - メギツネ - MEGITSUNE  (Read 22116 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: BABYMETAL - メギツネ - MEGITSUNE
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2016, 03:26:32 AM »
So it's not for you. We get it. I still think Tales of Destinies is Take The Time on crack.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2016, 05:00:23 AM »
I think Babymetal are fun, in a good way. The fact that they use a live band with serious musicians is the best part for me. I like the songs and I actually think the concept works great and not as weird as some people seem to think. It's weird in a cute way and after all it's Japan we're talking about, if this we're an american act with white kids the story would be completly diffrent I think.

I find their success and how well they've been recieved live pretty amazing.

Metal fans react to BabyMetal at Sonisphere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mECbOXi7Bo0

Videos like these are hilarious:

https://youtu.be/56LZzmYRItM?t=7m32s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlkDBhxAWqA

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2016, 05:50:06 AM »
Yea, I'm actually a bit surprised by their popularity.  It seems like it shouldn't work, but it does on some level.  I think you are right in that it has something to do with a real metal band backing them and being able to perform live, metal fans respect that. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2016, 07:03:04 AM »
I think the only reason why it does work is BECAUSE it's from Japan and the girls are just too sweet. There's no way any normal person could have perverted thoughts about this.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2016, 01:08:59 PM »
Yea, I'm actually a bit surprised by their popularity.  It seems like it shouldn't work, but it does on some level.  I think you are right in that it has something to do with a real metal band backing them and being able to perform live, metal fans respect that.
You're so right that on paper this project/band shouldn't work, the idea is just silly and yet the support they get live is massive. I mean 98% of the audience have no clue what the hell their singing about and yet they sing their hearts out:

https://youtu.be/br54Rdy_MCA?t=2m58s

That high pitch voice at a metal concert is really weird and hilarious :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »
That video is off youtube already  :lol but I guess from the title of it, they are making a DVD?  That's pretty cool.  I actually havent listened to any of their albums, I think the music is unique and cool, but hasn't been enough to get me to buy an album... but I love live performances and I could see myself buying a DVD of theirs.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2016, 01:46:43 AM »
I'm not trolling or doing my crazy fanboy, but I feel irritated by comments like "this is shit", when it's more polite to say "I don't like it".

to me it just sounded like a bunch of pikachus on steriods with a very dreadful musical background
And that works ! At least for the few listeners enjoying it...
I wouldn't trade my pikachus on steroids for any Djent modern band.
I like the fact that each song has a mood and touches different types of metal.

And how can someone say they remind them of Dream Theater... hahha.... serious comment fail :-D
Tales of destinies has indeed some crazy guitar and synth solo, a little jazzy piano break and little unisons, so yes there is a dream theater vibe, but it needs to go after the 2nd minute of the song ^^
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2016, 02:02:37 AM »
I think the only reason why it does work is BECAUSE it's from Japan and the girls are just too sweet. There's no way any normal person could have perverted thoughts about this.

In that case I'm definitely not normal.

This isn't news to anyone. :blob:

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2016, 01:42:56 PM »
I keep seeing that a lot of people expected an idea like this to not work at all, but for me, it's not surprising at all that a group like this has gathered this much attention. And that might be part of my main gripe with it. It just feels like this group was conceived after careful analysis of the demographic they intended to cater towards. I'll listen to one of their albums and while it's mildly enjoyable for what's its worth (that is, in the same way a disaster film is enjoyable for what it's worth), it just doesn't come off as sincere. I imagine that a team of executives wrote off on paper what they knew would make a big splash in the Japanese music scene, and to give them credit they definitely succeeded.

As far the music goes, it's fun but after a while becomes rather derivative and soon after, a bit of a one-note shtick. While the blending of genres here is new, in execution it isn't as strange or weird as a lot of people are making it out to be. I mostly just hear by-the-numbers thrash and power metal riffs with J-pop vocals added on top while most of the songs are structured the way a pop song would be. In the way of genre-blending, it's really not all that interesting or engaging. I can see some people liking them, and they're not exactly horrible, but they're definitely not something I would return to.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »
Oh yea it's manufactured 100% and they're not hidding that at all because it's all apart of this so called "idol" culture that's very popular in Japan.

In Japanese pop culture, an idol (アイドル aidoru?, a Japanese rendering of the English word "idol") is a young manufactured star/starlet marketed as someone to be admired, usually for their cuteness. Idols are intended to be role models. They are supposed to have a good public image and be good examples to young people. Idols aim to play a wide range of roles as media personalities (tarento), e.g. pop singers, panelists of variety programs, bit-part actors, models for magazines and advertisements.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »
For sure. I think the big difference being that for much of metal music's history, a lot of it was based on being anti-establishment and anti-manufactured (you can argue for or deny this being the case for the genre nowadays at your discretion).

When something like Babymetal comes along catering towards that style, I don't know, the absurdity is apparent tenfold.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2016, 12:38:45 AM »
I compare it like a band like Ghost. Sure it is contrived, planned out and 'gimmicky' (although Ghost does write its own material). But to me it represents something that was sadly lacking from the music industry for a long, long time. And that is 'fun'. It's just nice to have some fun again at concerts and not having to justify that.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2016, 01:37:02 AM »
Funny enough, I did make the comparison to Ghost in my mind, considering the metal instrumentation under pop sensibilities and song structures. But I'll say that I get much more enjoyment out of Ghost, maybe because they're still a lot more dynamic of a band with a greater range of sounds. They don't really come off as contrived as Babymetal imo, but the theatrics of both groups are something I do dig.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2016, 01:04:33 AM »
Man, these guys are melting my face right now.  The musicians are freaking insane.  So energy.  So powah.

"Tales of The Destinies" is really a psychotic mix of Take The Time and The Dance Of Eternity on crack.

I thought this was funny:  Youtubers React to Babymetal:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeARpcDimx4

... at least until near the end when some of them start bitching about the "manufactured band" by people that have no passion for the music.  I hate this bullshit way of thinking.  The people still have to write the music, play it, and perform it and if they weren't passionate about music they wouldn't even be doing it.  Also, there's a BAND in there that plays the music so don't just focus on the girls.  If you like it, then like it, if you don't like it, then just shut up and walk away.  At least they didn't play the "exploiting girls" card that I was expecting them to.</rant>

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2016, 05:35:28 AM »
Just a short update over the last year: After the release of their sophomore album 'Metal Resistance" Babymetal started off it's 2016 World Tour with a blistering concert at the Wembley Arena. They followed through with  Europe (Download, Forta Rock) and Japan (Rising Sun) gigs followed by a short US tour and some festivals in to close off their world tour officially with a massive two sellout concerts at Tokyo Dome (55.000 each night). These performances formed the epitome of their carreer up untill now. On July 18, the band made a special appearance at the Alternative Press Music Awards where they performed "Karate" before being joined onstage by Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford. Halford, along with Nakamoto and the Kami Band, performed an abridged version of "Painkiller", followed by a performance of "Breaking the Law" where they were rejoined by Mizuno and Kikuchi on guitars. The year will be topped off with a short support tour for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the UK in december. Finally Warner Brothers announced they will produce an anime-series about Babymetal for the American market.

The Wembley Arena concert will be released on DVD/BLuray and cd:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_9/167-6434318-3916209?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=babymetal+live+at+wembley+arena&sprefix=Babymetal%2Cmi%2C300&crid=2UJNLSOEOGWE2

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »
That's pretty awesome but yikes at that price

While Babymetal is pretty cool in my book, they haven't been that interesting for me to purchase an album, but as a concert lover and knowing how this band performs, I'd totally buy that blu ray at a normal price.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
Yeah granted the price is steep. I didn't mean this as advertising the dvd, btw. Just illustrating the year they've had.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2016, 03:39:17 PM »
Yeah granted the price is steep. I didn't mean this as advertising the dvd, btw. Just illustrating the year they've had.

Didn't take it that way, without you sharing I wouldn't of known since I don't follow them that closely.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDDqnuAo6M

Better version of Megitsune done by an awesome Youtube guitarist, Erock. His version is an interpretation of the song as if recorded by System of a Down.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2016, 02:16:39 AM »

Didn't take it that way, without you sharing I wouldn't of known since I don't follow them that closely.

Well it took me almost a year to allow myself to take the music seriously. But once I put aside my misgivings, damn, what great musicianship. And the girls (especially Su) have grown so much in just a couple of years it's just insane. I ordered the limited japanese edition of Metal Resistance because of the inclusion of a different song then the worldwide release and it's just phenomenal. I hope to catch them sometimes when they head over to europe sometimes because I'm not that of a crazy fan who travels to Japan or something to see them live. It's interesting to see how they will progress from this point on, both musically and presentation wise. They can't get any bigger in Japan, but I can imagining them doing some gigs in some of the bigger venues in the states and such.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2016, 08:14:06 AM »
I'd be curious to see them as well.  If they opened for a decent band or something instead of Lady Gaga then I'd be interested.  Like if they played with RHCP in the states then I'd probably go.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2016, 08:27:54 PM »
I just wish they'd show more of the amazing band doing their thing.

Yeah, ok, the girls are the "thing" and in front of computer-generated crap I can see them being the only thing worth watching but come on, the band are just too damn good to be brushed aside so easily.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2016, 02:36:39 PM »
Man I want that new Bluray SO bad!!  But that price is absolutely insane  :-\

And if you can't hear the DT influence on Tales of the Destinies I'm not sure what to say...  :o  It's about as obvious as listening to an oldschool Circus Maximus or Pagan's Mind song.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:54:56 PM by gm5k »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2016, 05:27:06 PM »
Man their new album is pretty awesome. Great music is great music I must say. I just love female vocals behind metal, maybe because theirs not a lot of it around. But they do it good. The image of the girls rubbed off after hearing No Rain, No Rainbow. Tales of Destinies and The One.

Also, Herman Li and Sam Totman both did guitars so that's why their is a Dragonforce sound.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PetFish

« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2016, 01:34:10 AM »
I just picked up these last week:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2016, 09:47:46 AM »
Is there even any difference between Moametal and Yuimetal?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2016, 10:14:39 AM »
Yes.  They are spelled differently.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »
Yes.  They are spelled differently.

How foolish of me  :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2016, 02:28:24 PM »
Moa's actually very pretty. But then, so is Yui.....

Offline gm5k

« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »

Some differences off the top of my head...I'd say Moa looks a little older/more mature.  Yui's the one with kinda puffy cheeks.  Yui has a higher pitched(or maybe just more nasally?) voice.  Moa speaks more often in interviews whether in Japanese or English from what I've seen.  Yui seems much more shy. 

Here's a Reddit thread that goes more in depth...beware intense fanboying/fangirling  :lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/BABYMETAL/comments/3diol9/psa_a_quick_guide_for_absolute_newbies_for/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:19:11 PM by gm5k »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »

Some differences off the top of my head...I'd say Moa looks a little older/more mature.  Yui's the one with kinda puffy cheeks.  Yui has a higher pitched(or maybe just more nasally?) voice.  Moa speaks more often in interviews whether in Japanese or English from what I've seen.  Yui seems much more shy. 

Here's a Reddit thread that goes more in depth...beware intense fanboying/fangirling  :lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/BABYMETAL/comments/3diol9/psa_a_quick_guide_for_absolute_newbies_for/

The question was actually aimed at the figures in the picture, as in, what's the point of buying both if the figures are the exact same other than the names  :lol (I know the answer to the question, the complete the set, but I would have thought there would be some differences between the two figures).

Offline gm5k

« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »

The question was actually aimed at the figures in the picture, as in, what's the point of buying both if the figures are the exact same other than the names  :lol (I know the answer to the question, the complete the set, but I would have thought there would be some differences between the two figures).

Ah gotcha, haha.  Yea those definitely pretty much look the same  :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2016, 12:04:26 AM »
Yeah now I get the point.... :lol I won't buy those things either. I'm strictly in it for the music, which is expensive enough as it is.

Fun fact: during their last support show for the Chili' Peppers, Chad Smith joined them on drums(in full Kami atire)  for the last song of their set, a Judas Priest medley of Painkiller/Breaking the law. Right after he presented Su Metal with a birthday cake. The reaction of the girls which can be found on youtube, is priceless and off course there were fake candles on the cake.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2016, 03:52:53 AM »
Yeah now I get the point.... :lol I won't buy those things either. I'm strictly in it for the music, which is expensive enough as it is.

Fun fact: during their last support show for the Chili' Peppers, Chad Smith joined them on drums(in full Kami atire)  for the last song of their set, a Judas Priest medley of Painkiller/Breaking the law. Right after he presented Su Metal with a birthday cake. The reaction of the girls which can be found on youtube, is priceless and off course there were fake candles on the cake.

Are we not allowed to link to those sorts of things?

I've been good on this site so I'll give it a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oq9BiQxJdg

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:45:36 AM by gm5k »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2016, 08:13:39 AM »
That's awesome  :metal :metal