Author Topic: Bohemian Rhapsody movie comparison to Live Aid performance  (Read 2587 times)

Offline The Trooper

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody movie comparison to Live Aid performance
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
Queens performance at Live Aid is one for the ages. Freddy was at the top of his game. Amazing how much effort the movie put in to doing it right out of respect.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »
I watched this over the weekend, amazing

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »
The Live Aid recreation was impressive.

For all the flaws that the movies has (and if it was an invented story about a made up rock band it wouldn't really have any, it's just that they adapted history because, guess what, it's a movie and not a documentary), if you're watching it and you don't clap your hands during Radio GaGa, there's something wrong with you  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 02:12:54 PM »
Agree. Queen is my favorite band ever. I Read/watch anything I can get my hands on. A Queen geek per say. I prefer historian. I do not have a big problem with the inconsistencies in the movie. I try to look at it in the bigger picture. Letting the younger generation realize what a talent Freddie was. LOL not even younger generation. I showed the movie to my 80 year old mother and she loved it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 01:48:49 PM »
Finally saw this....really good and highly enjoyable!  Rami Malek did a great job playing Freddie, and I was just as impressed with Gwilym Lee, who had Brian May's mannerisms and facial expressions down perfectly.  The historical inaccuracies were noticeable (May writing We Will Rock You in 1980 after they came to America when in fact the song was released in 1977, Freddie finding out how he had AIDS before Live Aid, etc.), but didn't bother me that much since I knew going in that they had played fast and loose with the time line.  I do like how they kept it mostly family-friendly by focusing on what a legend Freddie was, instead of delving too much into his social activities (see: living the rock star life by whoring it up on a regular basis). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 07:03:05 AM »
I accepted all the inaccuracies/glosses over, as it's part of the process of winnowing down 20 years into 2 hours.   

EXCEPT:  The AIDS/Live Aid thing.   Not because of the AIDS part, but because of the Live Aid part.  I saw it in real time (I even taped it on VHS and still have that footage!).   I wasn't a huge Queen fan at that time (in fact, I kind of DIDN'T like them, though I had not heard Queen II at that point), and I watched them at Live Aid and was blown away.   I was beside myself with joy that both Sabbath and Zeppelin - with PHIL COLLINS!!!! - were reforming, and yet, the band that left the biggest - by FAR! - impression was Queen.   And the important point was that Freddie and Brian and John and Roger just did it.  They didn't NEED things like "life threatening diseases" or drama or fancy reunions and internal comings to terms.  They just DID. They went out, as they normally do, and rocked the world.   I think the "AIDS/Reunion" story line actually BELITTLED their accomplishment, not ramped it up.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 11:01:20 AM »
I accepted all the inaccuracies/glosses over, as it's part of the process of winnowing down 20 years into 2 hours.   

EXCEPT:  The AIDS/Live Aid thing.   Not because of the AIDS part, but because of the Live Aid part.  I saw it in real time (I even taped it on VHS and still have that footage!).   I wasn't a huge Queen fan at that time (in fact, I kind of DIDN'T like them, though I had not heard Queen II at that point), and I watched them at Live Aid and was blown away.   I was beside myself with joy that both Sabbath and Zeppelin - with PHIL COLLINS!!!! - were reforming, and yet, the band that left the biggest - by FAR! - impression was Queen.   And the important point was that Freddie and Brian and John and Roger just did it.  They didn't NEED things like "life threatening diseases" or drama or fancy reunions and internal comings to terms.  They just DID. They went out, as they normally do, and rocked the world.   I think the "AIDS/Reunion" story line actually BELITTLED their accomplishment, not ramped it up.

Accomplishment?

Regardless, I agree that's the part I think most people found odd.  Live Aid happened two months after the band had finished The Works tour, which lasted from August 1984 through May 1985.  The band didn't break up over Freddie doing his solo album (which he worked on over a two year span), the Live Aid gig was anything but "last minute," and Mercury wasn't diagnosed with AIDS until long after Live Aid.  It was a very strange bit of revisionist history, and there's going to be a large number of people who think most of that was true.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 03:46:49 AM »

Accomplishment?

Regardless, I agree that's the part I think most people found odd.  Live Aid happened two months after the band had finished The Works tour, which lasted from August 1984 through May 1985.  The band didn't break up over Freddie doing his solo album (which he worked on over a two year span), the Live Aid gig was anything but "last minute," and Mercury wasn't diagnosed with AIDS until long after Live Aid.  It was a very strange bit of revisionist history, and there's going to be a large number of people who think most of that was true.
Agreed, that part bothered me. I didn't really care that they claimed this song was written this year instead of that year, etc. But I really don't like how the movie claims he broke up the band to go party and write a solo record, only to reunite for the Live Aid gig. All for the sake of having a movie climax. As Stadler said, it belittles the event. Queen didn't immortalize that performance because they just reunited or because Freddie had just told the guys he was sick (yet another error...) - they just did it.

But that wouldn't have been an equally satisfying story, now would it? :\
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 06:33:15 AM »
The only real problem with twisting the truth for the movie are the young people who discover Queen from the movie and never learn the truth and assume this was it.  Otherwise I don't really have an issue with changing things to make it more dramatic.  Although I heard about making a sequel, and if it's based off the twisted truth of the original, would a sequel be even more fictional? Either way, I thought the movie and the comparison to the real deal was awesome.