Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 279054 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Seems as good a time as any for this. I tried to type out a lengthy OP for this a couple weeks ago complete with thorough analyses but my browser just dickishly auto refreshes so I lost it. Anyhoo, who do y'all like in SB IL? I don't feel great about any AFC teams so the Pats and Broncos are frontrunners by default imo and I think I don't think there's enough separation amongst the Seahawks, 9ers, and Saints to pick a clear favorite as of now. The Panthers aren't far behind either but have a little work to do on offense to be for real.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:57:16 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: NFL thread 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:05:50 PM »
Already having withdrawals from no football.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:07:43 PM »
Same here, NBA playoffs need to hurry the fuck up. Also, second!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »
You've seen my post lately with ReaP on the C's?  Two different worlds.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
Yep. I had no idea he wasn't a bean town native til yesterday. Makes his Rondo apologism even more confusing.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »
Already having withdrawals from no football.

Same here.... was sitting at work yesterday thinking... "September seems like a fucking eternity from now"  And Mr. Floyd, I think you need to throw the WHOLE NFC West into that mix of yours...   ;)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
Eh, Carolina's far better than STL or ARI though and I didn't include them. If Tyrann Mathieu keeps his head out of his ass, ARI can win 10 or more games next year.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »
Haven't been following any news, what with the Olympics and hockey trade deadline dominating things up here.  Any FA rumours yet?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »
Incognito, wtf man.

Hopefully this blows over and Miami can focus on not sucking. Tannehill is a great QB, very excited to see what he can do.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Yeah, if you take away his inconsistency throwing the ball and his poor pocket presence, Tannehill is just fantastic! ;)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 03:53:49 PM »
Green Bay kept Dom Capers, so we're officially out of contention  :angry:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »
Yeah, if you take away his inconsistency throwing the ball and his poor pocket presence, Tannehill is just fantastic! ;)

Well, give him an offensive line to work with and a RB that can get stuff done, sure!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
BF, you should have at least waited from some big news to break before starting this. We got nothing to talk about  :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »
Eh, I'm not even sure there's any precedent for starting these.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »
Hey!  The pats released Steve Gregory Joe!

:lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 07:45:05 PM »
I heard Mark Moseley retired too.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 08:54:46 PM »
Maclin signed a 1 year 5.5 million contract with the Eagles.  It's fair for both parties.  If Maclin doesn't come back from his injury, it's no loss for the Eagles.  If Maclin does come back, he has the opportunity to get a bigger deal next year.

I feel like this contract could have been better some how.  What if it was something like a two year, 6.5 million dollar deal fully guaranteed?  It's better for the Eagles if Maclin comes back, because they get him at a discount for another year.  If Maclin doesn't come back, he gets another guaranteed year of money.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 10:25:56 PM »
More Harbaugh drama: https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Harbaugh-saga-promises-to-dominate-49ers-season-5281408.php

This whole situation is weird to me.  I know coaches can get too intense.  Thibodeau plays his guys too many minutes.  Doug Collins eventually loses his players by making things too personal.  But I'm not sure that Harbaugh is that guy.  Tough to deal with, yes, but the product on the field is impossible to argue with.
Over and over again

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »
Here's some news relevant to us, floyd:  looks like our Saints are gonna have to slap the franchise tag on Jimmy Graham because they can't seem to work out a contract with him.  :| I wish they'd renegotiate Drew to a more rational number so we can get the rest of the key players locked up with appropriate contracts.

This time of year sucks for NFL fans starved for news.....

:blackfloyd:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 07:38:37 AM »
I just hope the franchise thing doesn't rub him the wrong way and expedite his pursuit of an exit. As for Drew, a restructure would be nice but good luck with that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 07:43:25 AM »
I think Graham will put up a fight about getting WR franchise money, instead of TE money, and considering they use him at WR far more than TE, he should fight it. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 07:54:53 AM »
Maclin signed a 1 year 5.5 million contract with the Eagles.  It's fair for both parties.  If Maclin doesn't come back from his injury, it's no loss for the Eagles.  If Maclin does come back, he has the opportunity to get a bigger deal next year.

And they gave Cooper 5year/25 million  :lol

What are people thinking about this year's QB class? My brother sent me this message:

Manzel - Akili Smith
Bortles - Jake Locker
Carr - Derek Anderson
Bridgewater - Alex Smith

Sounds pretty harsh  :lol

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »

What are people thinking about this year's QB class? My brother sent me this message:

Manzel - Akili Smith
Bortles - Jake Locker
Carr - Derek Anderson
Bridgewater - Alex Smith

Sounds pretty harsh  :lol

I'm thinking I'm glad my team is not in the market for a new QB.  :blackfloyd:  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »
More Harbaugh drama: https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Harbaugh-saga-promises-to-dominate-49ers-season-5281408.php

This whole situation is weird to me.  I know coaches can get too intense.  Thibodeau plays his guys too many minutes.  Doug Collins eventually loses his players by making things too personal.  But I'm not sure that Harbaugh is that guy.  Tough to deal with, yes, but the product on the field is impossible to argue with.

With reports now out there that Harbaugh's act is wearing thin on some of the team leaders, him leaving SF almost seems inevitable.  Sure, his teams win a lot of games, but he is probably better off in college where players don't have to put up with him for more than four years.  And when I say "put up with him," consider how he acts on the sideline, the way he is constantly complaining and berating the officials.  Those things are indicative of his personality, and that kind of incessant "whining like a child" act can only be tolerated by men for so long.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 08:38:16 AM »
Dolphins resigned Grimes. Excellent!

Also, new Buccaneers uniform:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »

With reports now out there that Harbaugh's act is wearing thin on some of the team leaders, him leaving SF almost seems inevitable.  Sure, his teams win a lot of games, but he is probably better off in college where players don't have to put up with him for more than four years.  And when I say "put up with him," consider how he acts on the sideline, the way he is constantly complaining and berating the officials.  Those things are indicative of his personality, and that kind of incessant "whining like a child" act can only be tolerated by men for so long.

+1000 ....... Spot on Kev  :tup

Floyd, we'll see how the Rams and Cards shake out.  I'm HOPING the Rams Keep the #2 Pick and use it on Sammy Watkins, and then the best OT on the board at the #13 pick.  If that happens...  Our Offense will make a significant leap IMO.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »
Those uni's suck....  wow.  The number font (or whatever it 's called)  looks like something outta the arena league.

Here's some news relevant to us, floyd:  looks like our Saints are gonna have to slap the franchise tag on Jimmy Graham because they can't seem to work out a contract with him.  :| I wish they'd renegotiate Drew to a more rational number so we can get the rest of the key players locked up with appropriate contracts.

This time of year sucks for NFL fans starved for news.....

:blackfloyd:

It's a done deal.....

https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10533205/jimmy-graham-receive-franchise-tag-new-orleans-saints
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:48:53 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »
New Buccs unis are badass!

Why is that so funny? Seems fair market value for him.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 08:51:54 AM »
New Buccs unis are badass!

Why is that so funny? Seems fair market value for him.
I guess? 5 mil for 47 receptions feels like a lot to me, especially on the Eagles, where you have so many offensive weapons the defense are going after that a No 3 guy is gonna have plenty of time to shine.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 09:04:04 AM »
Receptions are overrated, and Cooper did average nearly 18 yard per catch and had 8 touchdown catches, despite being tied for only 66th in targets.  He is a playmaker, and I have no problem with the Eagles having paid him what they did.  Plus, he has great chemistry with Foles (compare his numbers when Vick was playing vs. when Foles was).  It's not like they can't cut him if he flops, since NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 09:14:44 AM »
Also, new Buccaneers uniform:

Yikes, welcome to Generic Design City.
Maybe if they used more of the orange, but as of now, that's one bland uniform, and that helmet design is still bad.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »
I think Graham will put up a fight about getting WR franchise money, instead of TE money, and considering they use him at WR far more than TE, he should fight it.

An arbitrator is apparently going to rule on this.

[Bucs Uniform]

Not good.

Receptions are overrated, and Cooper did average nearly 18 yard per catch and had 8 touchdown catches, despite being tied for only 66th in targets.  He is a playmaker, and I have no problem with the Eagles having paid him what they did.  Plus, he has great chemistry with Foles (compare his numbers when Vick was playing vs. when Foles was).  It's not like they can't cut him if he flops, since NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

The first two years are guaranteed, but that's not an overly long commitment.  I like the contract.

For some reason I figured he never treated the players that way.  I dunno.  If I'm the Niners, I'm trying to figure out how to fix this.
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 09:42:05 AM »
Those Bucs unis remind me of something from the XFL.

On the Panthers front: Jordan Gross retired, so that leaves a LARGE hole on the OL.  They also used the franchise tag on Greg Hardy, so he will be back.  And they still need to figure out what they will do with Steve Smith, who is still the best receiver on the team, I don't care if he IS 100 years old.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 10:18:56 AM »

For some reason I figured he never treated the players that way.  I dunno.  If I'm the Niners, I'm trying to figure out how to fix this.

As a '9er fan, I'm not overly concerned at this stage.  As is evident from this thread, it's a slow time for NFL news, so anything gets blown out of proportion if it looks like it might be newsworthy.  It's hard to tell whether there is any genuine frustration.  And even if there is some, as a practical matter, a lot of that is likely to vanish into thin air if the team makes it to the next level and wins a Super Bowl.  For right now, I'm just chalking it up to rumor mill and slow news day.

Bucs uniform:  The numbers are what kill it for me.  If they went back to the numbers that they have now, that uniform would be just fine.  Whatever...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni