Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203632 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Bobby "The Brain"
« Reply #2240 on: January 23, 2018, 09:31:15 AM »
I noticed that too. A lot of the guests were just in backstage segments, which isn't much more exciting live than on TV. The show would have still had its moments live, but it wouldn't have been worth much more than a regular show overall.
It was still a fun enough watch on TV, but there were so many missed opportunities and oversights, typical of WWE's poor management and booking.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2241 on: January 23, 2018, 09:45:08 AM »
It was still a fun enough watch on TV

Yea, at the end of the day, I hadn't watched Raw in years and I tuned in.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: January 23, 2018, 10:05:15 AM »
It was still a fun enough watch on TV

Yea, at the end of the day, I hadn't watched Raw in years and I tuned in.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one

It's been years since I stopped watching Raw, and I don't even keep up with what happens or see clips any more, but with a show that loaded (The Undertaker / Austin / Jericho / etc), I couldn't give it a miss.
And as nice a nostalgia trip as it was, it was another reminder of how badly handled the current show is, and why I no longer watch it each week. As the last Raw before the Royal Rumble, it failed. Did any of the wrestler's really mention the Royal Rumble matchup? The title match got a couple of minutes tacked onto the end for the three guys involved, and the only thing it did was to confirm that Kane is the jobber fallguy of the match, and Braun Strowman isn't going to win. It didn't make me hate that the match exists any less.

I'm actually most interested in the women's Rumble, because they don't have enough women on the main roster, which means more room for surprise entrants like NXT wrestlers and legends, and less predictability. Plus, there's a lower (but still not non-existent) chance of Roman Reigns winning that one.

It's been years since they've managed a good Rumble, and not just because of the bad choice of winners. Last year's RR was forgettable and was booked backwards for WM, 2016 was very poorly booked for what they wanted to achieve and was tragically derivative anyway. 2015 was a trainwreck of such legendary proportions that the only rewatch value in it is to see the audience shit all over it. The 2014 event was a bit of a joke all around, and the crowd turned to indifferent booing once man #30 came out.
I'm hoping having two Rumbles means we have more chance of something exciting, or it's just possible they're spreading themselves even thinner and we end up with two bad Rumbles instead of just one. We'll see!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2243 on: January 23, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »
I dont know, I don't follow enough, but the idea of two royal rumbles makes me less interested and feels like it cheapens the main one.  I'd rather just see the girls get in the ring with the guys at that point, but my opinion doesn't mean much as I don't really watch.  I did go to the Royal Rumble in 2000 at MSG which was insane.  I've always enjoyed the Rumble matches, but haven't watched one in like 10 years or so.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2244 on: January 23, 2018, 10:18:35 AM »
I dont know, I don't follow enough, but the idea of two royal rumbles makes me less interested and feels like it cheapens the main one.  I'd rather just see the girls get in the ring with the guys at that point, but my opinion doesn't mean much as I don't really watch.  I did go to the Royal Rumble in 2000 at MSG which was insane.  I've always enjoyed the Rumble matches, but haven't watched one in like 10 years or so.

I don't quite agree it cheapens the RR, but I definitely get what you're saying. I do think they're running a very real risk of just wearing people out though with two full length RRs. The women's RR has to be the opening match, there's just no other way it works, if it's going to work. It's going to be too much. What I liked about the PPV in the past, is that it used to contain only a few other matches, with the RR match being the drawcard, because it's a big match. They're making PPVs too long now for the sake of it.

My main issue though is that they just haven't done a good enough job building the women's division to warrant a separate RR yet. For all of their parroting about a women's revolution, they've made little progress, and spread themselves too thin splitting them between the two shows. They've still got a lot of the same females who are not wrestlers first and can't work good matches, they still rarely if ever have more than one women's match on the main card of a PPV, and too often have multi-person matches just to cram as many girls into a match as possible, instead of focusing on storylines and feuds.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2245 on: January 23, 2018, 10:59:42 AM »
I was wondering to myself, "wow the wwe female roster must have gotten really large since I last watched to be able to do a RR" also I didn't realize the PPVs were getting longer, they were already pretty long events from what I remember.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2246 on: January 23, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »
The standard PPVs are a bit under 3 hours in length, but in recent years Summerslam has been over 4 hours (and other PPVs I can't remember), and Wrestlemania has been 5 hours. It's a drag.

WWE barely has 20 female wrestlers employed, including the champions. The graphic for the women's RR on Raw showed 18 women. They really should have just made it 20 participants. The first RR match was only 20 men, so there's no shame in having a smaller match, and the shorter length would have been better for the show. I don't agree with their decision, but it does at least promise some surprises. I just hope they're good ones.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2247 on: January 23, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »
but it does at least promise some surprises. I just hope they're good ones.

The return of Mae Young and/or The Fabulous Moolah would certainly be surprising.  They probably have an equal chance to Roman Reigns of winning it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2248 on: January 23, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »
I will be watching the women's rumble for all of the inevitable botches. 3 injuries at least.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2249 on: January 23, 2018, 03:25:50 PM »
I also think the women's rumble should have only had 20 participants.  The Royal Rumble is always my favorite match of the year and this year especially, I'm expecting a few surprises in both rumbles.  Last year was disappointing from a surprise standpoint.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #2250 on: January 23, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
but it does at least promise some surprises. I just hope they're good ones.

The return of Mae Young and/or The Fabulous Moolah would certainly be surprising.  They probably have an equal chance to Roman Reigns of winning it.

Taker will have to play a role in that somehow. They're both dead.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2251 on: January 23, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
I will be watching the women's rumble for all of the inevitable botches. 3 injuries at least.

if this was 5 years ago maybe. 90% of the women in the company are really good.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2252 on: January 28, 2018, 05:14:50 PM »
They're putting the AJ Styles title match on first? Really?
Oh well, gonna be an awesome opening match at least.

Ok, so they're having the men's Rumble in the third spot?! That's quite possibly the worst spot to have a match on a show.

And while I'm all for the women's revolution and equality etc, that match has just not earned the closing spot. They literally don't even have a big enough division for this match to begin with. I think they just want to be able to pat themselves on the back for having a women's match headline. On the plus side, it hopefully promises an eventful finish.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:53:34 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: January 28, 2018, 07:10:03 PM »
Wow, best RR in a long time, definitely for the decade, and not just because of the winner. A lot of great fun spots throughout, surprise entrants, and good showings from people that deserved it.
Mysterio was my favourite surprise, and they toyed with the audience big time with the final 4 and 2. :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2254 on: January 28, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »
That was dope, and not just because I had Nakamura's entry number in my pool and won three boxes of beer as a result :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2255 on: January 28, 2018, 07:43:57 PM »
:tup Congrats.
Hopefully this title match revives the crowd a bit in time for the women's Rumble. I feel sorry for that tag match. Everyone was completely dead after that Rumble.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2256 on: January 28, 2018, 07:45:12 PM »
I feel like the women's Rumble main eventing has to mean Rousey.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: January 28, 2018, 07:57:00 PM »
I'm thinking the same.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2258 on: January 28, 2018, 08:00:12 PM »
And the men's match not main eventing made me feel pretty confident that Reigns wouldn't win. I figured they'd never piss off the crowd *that* much with more show to come.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2259 on: January 28, 2018, 08:35:59 PM »
Yeah,I had the same thought before the match.

This women's RR is too gimmicky so far. It's nice to have the surprises, but half of these women are the reason they needed the "women's revolution" to begin with. Molly Holly and Lita had good showings. Torrie Wilson had no right being in there (along with Michelle McCool and others), but damn she actually looks better than ever.
This would have been a perfect match to have in the opening spot, but not as a main event. The crowd is too tired for it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2260 on: January 28, 2018, 09:16:54 PM »
That conflicted moment when the crowd expects Ronda Rousey at #30 but gets Trish. :lol
SO FUCKING HAPPY. Asuka + Nakamura. Japan gets the clean sweep!

I can see why the women's Rumble closed because of the Rousey spot, but that totally undermined Asuka's win. Asuka endures an entire Rumble match to get a WM spot, but Rousey just walks out and points at the sign to get the same thing.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2261 on: January 28, 2018, 11:49:15 PM »
Yeah, Rousey's appearance sort of downplayed the importance of the Rumble.  At the same time, though, I'm glad they did it that way.  If Rousey had entered the Rumble and won, it would have sort of shit on the whole division, insinuating that no one on the roster can stand up to an outside legitimate athlete - which is probably true, but not the statement I would want them to make with their first women's rumble. 

All things considered, I had a lot of fun with the women's match, and I'm thrilled that Asuka won. 

Also, let it sink in: the main event of Wrestlemania is going to be Shinsuke Nakamura vs. AJ Styles for the WWE championship. 

In general, the Wrestlemania card is shaping up to be a pretty solid one.  Asuka challenging for one women's title, Rousey possibly challenging for the other (assuming we get her in a singles match rather than a four horsewomen vs four horsewomen match), Brock likely defending against Reigns or Cena, and, to reiterate, fucking NAKAMURA VS. STYLES headlining... could be a damn good show. 

In any event, best Royal Rumble match of the decade, I would say. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2262 on: January 29, 2018, 12:02:01 AM »
Also, let it sink in: the main event of Wrestlemania is going to be Shinsuke Nakamura vs. AJ Styles for the WWE championship. 

It won't be the main event. The better title match never headlines. Reigns/Lesnar will be last, and there's whatever HHH books himself in (probably wasting a Kurt Angle match), and whatever Ronda Rousey is doing will be considered much more important too, plus who knows what Shane Mac will be doing. It wouldn't even shock me if they stuck Styles on first.
But we're getting Styles vs Nakamura at Wrestlemania, so yeah. Assuming of course they don't pull some shit with the screwy finish of the RR title match and make it a four way or something. And Asuka will be getting a title shot. Not bad.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2263 on: January 29, 2018, 07:43:49 AM »
I've heard that the plan is to do Triple H and Stephanie versus Rousey and a partner.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2264 on: January 29, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »
I've heard that the plan is to do Triple H and Stephanie versus Rousey and a partner.

I hope that's the case. It keeps HHH away from wasting a match with someone else, and it gives Rousey a big match without being pushed into a title match too soon. It also finally gives some purpose to that garbage waste of time from WM a few years ago. It also means we can get Asuka vs Charlotte, which would be fucking amazing.
I wonder who they'll get as Rousey's partner assuming they can't get The Rock?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2265 on: February 25, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »
I had a dream that Kevin Nash chased me around with a cockroach...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2266 on: February 25, 2018, 02:44:51 PM »

Probably wasn’t a long dream since I’m sure he tore his quad mid chase.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2267 on: February 25, 2018, 04:18:44 PM »

Probably wasn’t a long dream since I’m sure he tore his quad mid chase.

Well, I made it across the street, and he didn't follow, so it's possible. lol

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2268 on: February 25, 2018, 04:58:06 PM »
:lol :lol

Watching the first ever elimination chamber match in preparation for tonight's PPV.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: February 25, 2018, 10:10:36 PM »

Watching the first ever elimination chamber match in preparation for tonight's PPV.

Hope you didn't raise your expectations based on how great the first EC match was.

2017 EC match: I'ma make Bray look strong!

2018 EC match: Hold my....

Vince takes 🍺 from Braun....hands to Roman.....again.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: February 26, 2018, 05:44:42 AM »

We've been rewatching a lot of the old elimination chambers, but it's a bad idea when they're so weak now. The crowd just doesn't care about the bumps, because the new chamber is so neutered. They've replaced the hard steel floor with gym mats ffs. It's actually softer than landing in the ring or on the outside. The chain link fence doesn't make any sound on impact. It's just an ordinary multi-person match now.

That aside, it was a decent enough EC match, and Braun was the MVP. It's just a shame we knew it was all just to make Reigns look strong as always. BECAUSE IT'S WORKED SO WELL FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS GUYS. Then Vinnie will finally get his wet dream of jobbing out Lesnar to 100 superman punches and hand Reigns his WM win and everybody will hate it. Wrestlemania moment. As if Lesnar wasn't devalued enough at this point. Give up on Reigns already. He's a lost cause.

And that contract signing segment was the shits. Rousey is really bad on the mic, and the whole dumb thing with Angle makes it all but certain he'll be stuck as her tag partner at WM, which sucks. I was hoping he'd get a real 1 on 1 WM match. And all of that talk about Rousey losing plus having Stephanie stand up to her instantly devalues such a big signing. Bad booking. But I expect no better when HHH and McMahons are involved, because they love to put themselves over.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2271 on: February 26, 2018, 06:19:50 AM »
I saw people losing their minds about this on twitter last night before I went to sleep and just laughed.  No offense to anyone here, but wrestling fans who bitch about Reigns and keep watching, they are the ones Vince is laughing at.  Vince keeps shitting on your head and you keep saying, "thanks for the hat."  If you are really that pissed about it, stop watching RAW. Stop paying for the network. Stop watching it for free online somewhere.  I gave it up for good several years ago and do not miss it.  If I am watching TV on a Monday night now, I don't even think to turn RAW on anymore.  Heck, even my dad, who started watching wrestling regularly in the 70s and did so until a year or so ago, never watches anymore.  Who wants to watch a bad product?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2272 on: February 26, 2018, 06:37:14 AM »

:metal I was there for that one in the Garden

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2273 on: February 26, 2018, 07:20:13 AM »
I saw people losing their minds about this on twitter last night before I went to sleep and just laughed.  No offense to anyone here, but wrestling fans who bitch about Reigns and keep watching, they are the ones Vince is laughing at.  Vince keeps shitting on your head and you keep saying, "thanks for the hat."  If you are really that pissed about it, stop watching RAW. Stop paying for the network. Stop watching it for free online somewhere.  I gave it up for good several years ago and do not miss it.  If I am watching TV on a Monday night now, I don't even think to turn RAW on anymore.  Heck, even my dad, who started watching wrestling regularly in the 70s and did so until a year or so ago, never watches anymore.  Who wants to watch a bad product?

^ This to a tee describes where I'm at - except for the dad thing.  The fact that both Raw and Smackdown are aired on a channel not in my current TV package helps too.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2274 on: February 26, 2018, 11:51:56 AM »
Solid PPV. Only thing I wasn't really into was Matt Hardy Vs Bray Wyatt.

I personally really liked the contract signing and think putting her in a tag match first is a good idea.
Do you read Sutter Cane?