Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203899 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Bobby "The Brain"
« Reply #2205 on: October 20, 2017, 02:00:30 PM »
Holy shit Kurt Angle is replacing Roman in the tag match this Sunday. Guess I will be watching TLC.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2206 on: October 20, 2017, 04:49:59 PM »
Holy shit Kurt Angle is replacing Roman in the tag match this Sunday. Guess I will be watching TLC.

Also, AJ Styles is replacing Bray against Finn Bálor, which means we’re finally getting that match as well. Meningitis turned out to be the best thing to happen to this PPV.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2207 on: October 20, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
Getting rid of Bray Wyatt AND Roman Reigns, and getting AJ Styles and Kurt Angle instead? Thank you, meningitis! :lol Getting rid of two of the worst and replacing them with two of the best of all time.

They must be desperate, but I ain't complaining! I'm sick of having a PPV every two weeks, but now I'm actually interested in this.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: October 21, 2017, 12:15:39 AM »

Also, AJ Styles is replacing Bray against Finn Bálor, which means we’re finally getting that match as well. Meningitis turned out to be the best thing to happen to this PPV.

I guess.  I'm trying to be positive, but I'm having a little trouble on this one.

Don't get me wrong, I am stoked as fuck for Styles and Balor.  But it also kind of sucks that we're getting it under these circumstances.  That match should be the main event of a Pay Per View for a major championship with a solid storyline.  Instead, we're getting it with no build-up because somebody is out sick.

And as for the handicap... once again, don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to see Angle back in the ring.  But the match seems utterly ridiculous now. 

To be honest, I was already pretty skeptical about it.  I couldn't see how it could possibly end without a rising star being damaged.  If the Shield won, it would kind of hurt the credibility of their five opponents, and in particular, Braun Strowman's monster push would take a big hit.  Yet if the Shield lost, it would kind of derail the momentum of their reunion.  But I was still hyped for the match, and I was keeping an open mind, because there is a lot of hype for the Shield, and I could suspend my disbelief enough to imagine that they MIGHT be able to use their teamwork to outclass the merry band of misfits. 

Now, though, we have lost the Shield element.  This is no longer a band of brothers with a wolf pack mentality taking on impossible odds.  Now it is the tag team champions and a 48 year old man who hasn't wrestled in months vs the former tag team champions, Kane (okay, fair enough, a 50 year old man who also hasn't wrestled in months), the intercontinental champion, and Braun fucking Strowman.  For perspective, they've painted Rollins & Ambrose and Sheamus & Cesaro as pretty evenly matched teams in their title feud.  The added ingredients here are Kurt Angle on one side and the Miz, Kane, and Braun Strowman on the other.  On paper, this should be a squash match.  I'll mark out for Angle's return to the ring, and I'm sure the pop will be magnificent, but it will be kind of a waste if he just gets crushed.  And if his team wins, the other team looks like kind of a joke. 

I'm kind of hoping that the match changes on the show.  My big hope is that the Miz does something really obnoxious and Strowman gets pissed off and decimates him.  Strowman walks, and we're left with Rollins, Ambrose, and Angle vs Cesaro, Sheamus, and Kane.  Then you have a couple pretty good options.  Angle can pull off the win for a huge feel good moment, or Miz can limp out to the ring to attack Angle from behind and cost him that feel good moment for nuclear heat.  Hell - you can maybe even build an Angle/Miz feud out of this, and some of the heat from the Miz/Bryan feud can sort of carry over and get a proper payoff. 

But that's just me fantasy booking. 

I'm sure it will be a fun show.  Probably a lot more fun than it would have been before.  The Angle return will be a joy to watch, and Styles vs. Balor is sure to be fucking magic.  But I'm a little worried about how this is going to affect their booking in the long term. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2209 on: October 22, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »
Very strange but fun PPV. Every match was serviceable except for Elias vs. Jordan. But there was one match that stood above the rest...

AJ Styles and Finn Bálor tore the house down with a legitimate Match of the Year candidate. With no build up and no prep time, these two put on a wrestling clinic. I want to see them go for an hour. If the powers at be decide to give us more, this could be the WWE’s version of Okada/Omega.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2210 on: October 23, 2017, 06:08:59 AM »
Yeah, very strange and scrapped together PPV, very light on matches, since all of the champions were loaded into the one match.
Balor vs Styles definitely stole the show.
The main event was very weirdly booked all around. And why does Kane still exist? But at least I got to see the in ring return of my favourite wrestler ever Kurt Angle.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2211 on: November 08, 2017, 05:36:58 PM »
The move to have AJ Styles capture the WWE Title over Jinder Mahal was a decision made directly by Vince McMahon sometime last week. There is much speculation on why this change was made, with most believing that McMahon felt that a Mahal vs. Lesnar match was not something fans were looking forward to see
McMahon felt that a Mahal vs. Lesnar match was not something fans were looking forward to see

Vince had a thought about what fans might want to see??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2212 on: November 09, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »
Fans didn't want to see Mahal vs Lesnar? YOU DON'T SAY! :lol

Fans want to see Styles vs Lesnar? YOU DON'T SAY! :lol

I'm really looking forward to that match now. I don't expect Styles to win, I just hope they let it be a somewhat competitive match with a decent length for a change.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2213 on: November 09, 2017, 11:15:05 AM »
Fans didn't want to see Mahal vs Lesnar? YOU DON'T SAY! :lol

Fans want to see Styles vs Lesnar? YOU DON'T SAY! :lol

I'm really looking forward to that match now. I don't expect Styles to win, I just hope they let it be a somewhat competitive match with a decent length for a change.

This is the best possible match for Lesnar. Styles is one of the few guys who could carry a match by himself so if Brock decides to be lazy, AJ can pick up the slack and make it a good match.

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2214 on: November 09, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »
Yeah, AJ Styles can get a good match out of literally anyone, including Reigns and Shane McMahon. I just hope that they're willing to let it be all it can be.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2215 on: November 09, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
Yeah, AJ Styles can get a good match out of literally anyone, including Reigns and Shane McMahon. I just hope that they're willing to let it be all it can be.

I’ve always said that A.J. Styles could carry a paper bag to a four star match. Now we’ll get to see if that’s true.

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2216 on: November 20, 2017, 05:47:01 AM »
Solid if not very predictable PPV. Having the running counter of Smackdown vs Raw made it obvious how the matches would go so the SS match was the decider, as they always do.

AJ Styles vs Lesnar was slightly more competitive than expected, but not as competitive as I'd hoped.
So glad to see Asuka have a strong showing in her match.

The main SS match was such dumb booking. Nakamura the first to go, and we're supposed to believe Shane McMahon as the last man on his team was a legitimate contender to any of the Raw team, let alone the three of them. He shouldn't have even been on the team in the first place. Retarded McMahon booking as always.
And the blatantly obvious and incredibly unwanted setup between HHH and Angle was done like complete shit with no logic. Don't waste Kurt Angle on HHH. This is why nobody gave a shit about the first couple of years after Lesnar came back. The Strowman bit was the only thing that redeemed it.

Garbage ending to an otherwise decent PPV.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2217 on: November 21, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
What a great Raw last night. Paige is back and brought Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose with her. It looks like the company is giving her a prominent role on Monday nights which makes me happy because despite all of the controversy that has surrounded her this past year, she’s one of the best female wrestlers on the planet and will be an asset to the division going forward.

Also, Roman Reigns won the IC title in the main event, which I actually like. As good as the Miz is, he has held that title on and off since the Raw after Wrestlemania 32. It’s time for someone else to hold it and time for the Miz to move into the main event scene. Roman actually got cheers last night, which shows that the crowd doesn’t hate him but hate the way he’s shoved down their throats as the next top guy. Giving him a midcard title will allow him to fully get back into the fans’ good graces because if they would take a step back and look at him, the fans would see how good Roman actually is.

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: November 21, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
How good Roman actually is? He's mediocre on the mic at best, and literally only has 3 moves, one of which is just a punch, one of which is just a tackle, and a samoan drop, the half-assed move his entire family is obligated to do by law. He has not evolved at all since the Shield broke up. If anything he's gone backwards. He used to have a 4th move!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2219 on: November 21, 2017, 11:25:57 AM »
How good Roman actually is? He's mediocre on the mic at best, and literally only has 3 moves, one of which is just a punch, one of which is just a tackle, and a samoan drop, the half-assed move his entire family is obligated to do by law. He has not evolved at all since the Shield broke up. If anything he's gone backwards. He used to have a 4th move!

Every wrestler in WWE has a set of up to five moves that they do every match. Even AJ Styles, who is widely regarded as one of the best in ring competitors ever (and my favorite wrestler of all time) has the Styles Clash, Phenomenal Forearm, Calf Crusher, Pele Kick, Springboard 450, and Ushigoroshi. Reigns also has the Drive By and Niagara Bomb as signature moves. Go look at a list of signature moves from all of the legends (Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, etc.) and you’ll start to realize that they all did the same moves every match. For some reason, Roman (and Cena for that matter) get crap for it. Watch Roman’s matches with Rollins, Styles, Strowman, Miz, Balor, and many others. They are all good matches and you can’t say that he was carried through every match. It takes two (or more) to make or break a match and Roman has been involved in a lot of great ones in the past couple of years. His mic skills aren’t the best, but neither were Shawn’s and he’s one of the greatest of all time. I know this sounds like I’m a Roman mark which I’m not. He’s easily my least favorite member of the Shield and I also don’t like him being shoved down my throat. But that latter point isn’t his fault, and despite the crowd reaction, he continues to work hard and put on a great show. I’ll at least give him credit for that.

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2220 on: November 21, 2017, 12:10:38 PM »
I don't mean doing the same movies. Other wrestlers have their signature moves, but he LITERALLY only does those 3 moves. Ever. Very different things. A wrestler like AJ Styles can bust out anything at any time, and he is the kind of rare wrestler who can wrestler a mop and put on a 5 star classic. Hell, he put on a great match with the dead weight of Reigns!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2221 on: November 21, 2017, 03:45:08 PM »
I don't mean doing the same movies. Other wrestlers have their signature moves, but he LITERALLY only does those 3 moves. Ever. Very different things. A wrestler like AJ Styles can bust out anything at any time, and he is the kind of rare wrestler who can wrestler a mop and put on a 5 star classic. Hell, he put on a great match with the dead weight of Reigns!

I guess we’re watching a different Roman. I see a vastly improved all around wrestler who works hard to be the best even though the fans reject him.

-MirrorMask

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2222 on: November 23, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
Roman is ok. I still skip his matches because I know the ending though.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: November 23, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
I think Reigns is better than a lot of fans give him credit for.

He isn't nearly as good as Vince McMahon gives him credit for, though. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2224 on: November 24, 2017, 08:47:33 AM »
I'd be happy if Reigns did a damn suplex. It would be different for him at least.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2225 on: November 24, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »
roman is only as good as they let him be. I know he can do more than he does.

On some random smackdown before the brand split he was actually doing more moves. Nothing too complicated but I was happy he was mixing it up. Then by the time Raw came back around he was back to punching a lot. Was he yelled at for doing too much or something lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: November 24, 2017, 03:04:02 PM »
Roman has potential to be one of the greatest heels of all time.  He has the look and attitude of the perfect heel and the fans are just chomping at the bit to boo him even more than they already do.  Vince is the only one I think that is preventing this from happening.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2227 on: November 27, 2017, 06:06:22 AM »
I went to a local wrestling show today that included known wrestlers, including X-Pac, Ricochet / Prince Puma, Joey Ryan, Brian Cage, Zack Sabre Jnr, The Headbangers, and Austin Aries.

Easily the best wrestling show I've gone to. I've never given a shit about the Headbangers even back during the short time they were half relevant, but even they put on a fun match. X-Pac and Joey Ryan were in a 3 on 3 tag match on the same team, and that was highly entertaining. They had one of the opponents cornered, and were trading off between "SUCK IT!" and "TOUCH IT!" (touch his dick). :lol And of course he did the penis plex.
I'm not familiar with Zack Sabre Jnr, but he had a match against a local wrestler, and it was amazing. Great technical mat wrestling.
Cage was also against a local wrestler who had a silly caveman gimmick, but it was a good big man match full of power moves and general meatiness.
The main event was Austin Aries vs Ricochet for whatever belt it was, which was a hell of a match as expected.

I also did the meet and greet before the show. X-Pac was a genuinely nice dude, and I got a pic with Cage.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2228 on: January 15, 2018, 10:37:20 PM »
Not sure what is going on in the WWE universe lately, but next Monday is the Raw 25th Anniversary. Undertaker, Jerry Lawler, JR, Shawn Michaels are all confirmed, and there are more big names sure to be there. Might be worth a tune-in for the first time in ages.

And yeah, anything else worth noting since the last post here on Nov 27?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: January 15, 2018, 10:50:23 PM »
Wrestle Kingdom? :biggrin:

Oh speaking of which, NJPW is coming to Australia in about a month, so I have my tickets already. Tanahashi, Cody Rhodes, Okada, Ospreay (for the second time in the past few months), I can't wait. :metal

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2230 on: January 16, 2018, 08:30:54 AM »
The Curb Stomp is back.  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: January 16, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »
Officially confirmed for Raw 25:

* Jericho
* Bischoff
* Jacqueline Moore
* The Brooklyn Brawler
* Steve Austin
* The Undertaker
* Ric Flair
* Shawn Michaels
* The Dudley Boys
* Scott Hall & Kevin Nash
* Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler
* The New Age Outlaws
* JBL & Ron Simmons
* Ted DiBiase
* Sgt. Slaughter
* Brother Love - They didn't specify if Bruce Pritchard or Sean Combs.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2232 on: January 16, 2018, 11:26:24 AM »
I dont really keep up with wrestling, but had I known this was happening tonight in Brooklyn, I might have tried to actually make it there.  Would be really cool to see all those wrestlers. Is Mick Foley going to be there?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2233 on: January 16, 2018, 08:14:05 PM »
How in the world is The Brooklyn Brawler worthy of being brought out for that?  He was basically a glorified jobber.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2234 on: January 16, 2018, 08:41:52 PM »
He wasn't "basically a glorified jobber." He was a jobber. I think it is more to celebrate their 25 year RAW history, of which he is a part of much more than some of the other "talent" slated to be there, like Maria Kanellis or The Boogeyman.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2235 on: January 17, 2018, 09:04:46 AM »
The event is also taking place in Brooklyn.  I also wrote yesterdya "tonight" even though it was Tuesday  :lol Actually going to the event is somewhat possible for me, but the ticket prices are a bit ridiculous and the cost of just getting to Brooklyn is as well.  Maybe had I been able to get a face value ticket that would have worked out.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: January 22, 2018, 11:33:11 PM »
Well.  That was kinda garbage.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2237 on: January 23, 2018, 12:03:54 AM »
I was expecting a bit more, but enjoyed the Austin stunners at the beginning.  Not sure where the Undertaker segment is leading to, but I was hoping for a Cena WM challenge.

Elias is really winning me over and Torrie Wilson is looking better than ever!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: January 23, 2018, 01:50:50 AM »
Well.  That was kinda garbage.

:lol It sure was. I feel sorry for the people who paid top dollar to be at the Manhattan Center for that. Sure, they got a couple of minutes of the Undertaker, but then they got a filler match, and by the time of the DX reunion, that crowd looked pretty pissed off and restless.
The Manhattan Center should have gotten a lot of those early legends at the very least. Apparently they didn't even have video screens to see what was happening on the real show.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2239 on: January 23, 2018, 08:53:02 AM »
I fell asleep half way through.  I honestly was considering spitting out some money to get the chance to see Stone Cold again, but opted not to when I saw ticket prices weren't budging (and also realized it was two seperate events so not everything was going to happen wherever I was).  But other than those first pops, it seemed the show got pretty boring and a lot of the fun stuff was happening in the backstage segments, for which I always hated watching at live events, I want to see action not watch a screen.  I did love seeing the APA and whatnot though.