Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203607 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2065 on: May 11, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »
Even though they're trying not to hurt each other, and everything is designed to absorb impact, a lot of that shit would hurt.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2066 on: May 11, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »
Many of the moves are prearranged, and are orchestrated to be as safe as possible.

Most of the punches and kicks are pulled/otherwise deadened.

The actual storylines and "grudges" are definitely scripted.

But there is no way to simulate all of it.  Falling from the top of a cage is falling from the top of a cage.  These guys are incredibly tough athletes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2067 on: May 11, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »
Many of the moves are prearranged, and are orchestrated to be as safe as possible.

Most of the punches and kicks are pulled/otherwise deadened.

The actual storylines and "grudges" are definitely scripted.

But there is no way to simulate all of it.  Falling from the top of a cage is falling from the top of a cage.  These guys are incredibly tough athletes.

I agree 100%

and to add to that. There is no "off season" for them. It is year round, night after night, town after town. And that includes having to work the day after Wrestlemania. That's like having to work the day after the superbowl rather than go on vacation and chill.

These guys are incredibly strong and have my respect. And whenever I hear someone say something cliche and dumb like "oh don't you know its fake, lolz" , its really a slap in the face of some of the hardest working people on the planet. No shit its scripted, the world has known that for almost 20 years now. For god's sake, think of something new or original to say, besides "don't you know its fake" ffs

And its a real good thing that dave schultz isn't in this thread right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

Or Vader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJf1Bgfzx-U
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:06:06 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2068 on: May 11, 2017, 04:17:54 PM »
Fake this **** then.  Warning this video may be NSFW and may have caused a ripple effect that lead to actually ending the career of a promising wrestler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXtSz8uYSGA

The results are predetermined for the most part, but these wrestlers have taken some insane bumps and pain and some have been doing this for a long, long time and after they are retired, they can still feel the aftereffects (i.e. look at Mick Foley and he's been "retired" for a decade).  They try to do their best to make things look impactful and protect themselves as much as possible to soften the impact, but they can feel pain. 

Go ahead and fall off a 16 ft cage.  Go ahead and do a dangerous dive off a ladder.  Tell me that stuff is fake.  Heck, the WWE shows adverts of their guys being injured and not be able to do what they love for months (maybe a year) and inform viewers to "Do not try this at all. These are trained professionals."  I wish I can recall one of JR's line when he feels miffed when people tell him that stuff is fake (i.e. doesn't hurt).  The punches and the forearms.  Sure, they are and can be pulled, but you can't fake the landing when taking a suplex.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:29:17 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2069 on: May 11, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »
Honestly, any time someone asks if you know wrestling is fake, they are:

a) showing their ignorance.
b) trying to belittle you.

It's not even worth responding to.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2070 on: May 11, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
Honestly, any time someone asks if you know wrestling is fake, they are:

a) showing their ignorance.
b) trying to belittle you.

It's not even worth responding to.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2071 on: May 13, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
Ask Jean-Paul Levesque if either his separated quad or crushed larynx were fake - while his continued to finish out both those matches.

There's no doubt who some of the toughest mother-fucking athlete's in the world are, and it ain't basketball players who need to be carried off with a calf cramp.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: May 13, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »
Mick Foley. Nuff said. :lol

Wrestlers have finished matches through all sorts of huge injuries that can take out an athlete for months.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2073 on: May 13, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »
Mick Foley. Nuff said. :lol

Well, that goes without saying.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2074 on: May 15, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »
Yea, the wrestling is fake crap always bothered me.  Yes, it's not real fighting, but that doesn't take away from the athleticism and the risks the wrestlers do put themselves in.  The "sport" is extremely painful.  There's a reason these guys get hooked on pain killers, because wrestling really hurts even if its "fake".   

Anyway, Raw is close by tonight.  I considered going, but I am beat from Metallica last night.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2075 on: May 19, 2017, 05:50:34 AM »
I've always had the hots for miss Elizabeth

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2076 on: May 19, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »
The fake Ric Flair/Miss Elizabeth pictures to set up the match at WM8 with Savage was classic.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2077 on: May 19, 2017, 02:38:17 PM »
Flair with the horse is my favorite  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: May 19, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
 :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2079 on: May 21, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
So the UK title match last night was about three different kinds of fantastic. May just watch it again at some point during tonight's PPV :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2080 on: May 21, 2017, 05:43:32 PM »
Pretty much everything about Takeover last night was excellent. The UK title match was off the charts good and that heel turn at the end of the show was done as well as a turn could be done.

Backlash should be interesting, I have a feeling that Jinder might be given the title tonight.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2081 on: May 21, 2017, 06:01:05 PM »
I'm thinking that this will be just like Capital Punishment (also a Wrestlemania hangover May show)

Orton is Cena
Mahal is R-Truth

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2082 on: May 21, 2017, 08:49:15 PM »
...What?!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2083 on: May 21, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: May 22, 2017, 05:52:12 AM »
I thought it was a solid show overall with the US title clearly stealing the show. Those two had great chemistry together.

The title match was alright but I really enjoyed Orton tossing around the Singh brothers. A couple of scary bumps when he put them through the announcers tables and Orton seemed to agree based on his facial expression.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2085 on: May 22, 2017, 12:03:44 PM »
JINDER FUCKING MAHAL

And they say WWE plays it too safe these days.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2086 on: May 22, 2017, 12:17:40 PM »
JINDER FUCKING MAHAL

They're trying to appeal to the Indian market, so business-wise it was actually a really safe move. Also really dumb. You know shit is bad when Orton retaining the title is the better option.
Vince needs to die so they can get over the racist xenophobia based heel gimmick stuck in 1980.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: May 22, 2017, 01:13:14 PM »
JINDER FUCKING MAHAL

They're trying to appeal to the Indian market, so business-wise it was actually a really safe move. Also really dumb. You know shit is bad when Orton retaining the title is the better option.
Vince needs to die so they can get over the racist xenophobia based heel gimmick stuck in 1980.

Agreed. This is F'n sad to say the absolute least.

If they wanted to make him a star because of the Indian market... then let him be a FACE.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2088 on: May 22, 2017, 01:29:26 PM »
I actually think mahal winning was the better of the 2 options and I'm curious to see what happens next.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2089 on: May 22, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »
JINDER FUCKING MAHAL

All of the Indian fans I've spoken to online don't like him anyway.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: May 22, 2017, 07:38:16 PM »
I actually like Jinder Mahal. 

The problem is, they haven't built him.  Like, at all.  He has been a jobber for pretty much his entire run on the main card in WWE.  He was a member of the Three Man Band, and probably the worst member of the Three Man Band.  He's only won a handful of matches on WWE television, and now he is the WWE champion. 

Why?  Well, they booked it to appeal to India, and some of the fans are accepting it because it's a funny joke.  Neither of these are particularly good reasons.  Sure, it's a nice novelty to have a jobber beat a 13 time world champion, but that novelty is not enough to make for an interesting title run.  I'm willing to bet that the fans he has right now will be sick of him inside two months, because he just isn't that good yet.  Maybe someday he could be, but I'm not sure shoehorning him into the title picture as a joke is going to help with that.  Long term stars are built organically, and this is far from organic. 

Meanwhile, the booking of the Orton/Wyatt feud makes less sense than ever.  Wyatt got an awesome moment at Elimination Chamber only to lose the belt to Randy Orton only so that Randy Orton could lose the belt to Jinder fucking Mahal a month later.  The whole thing feels pointless. 

I'm trying to keep an open mind and wait to see what they have planned.  But it doesn't feel like they have a planned.  It feels like they wanted to try to elevate an Indian superstar, and then someone in creative said at a meeting, 'hey, you know what would be funny?  Let's have Jinder Mahal beat Randy Orton.' 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2091 on: May 22, 2017, 11:00:58 PM »
JINDER FUCKING MAHAL

All of the Indian fans I've spoken to online don't like him anyway.

That's exactly what I'd expect. The guy is being pushed as a heel with a dated and racist gimmick that has little basis in reality. I'd find it offensive.

And what Jaffa said. There's been no build up here. Usually with this kind of run, you'd build up the wrestler over several months with an undefeated streak or something, so they'd look like a challenger for the champion. Mahal hasn't had a single PPV win to build him up, I didn't even know/remember who he was, it's like they just needed to get the belt on an Indian as soon as possible.

But Vince will probably consider this a success, because he doesn't get the difference between a wrestler getting heel heat, and the audience just downright hating and rejecting what you're doing because it's garbage.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2092 on: May 22, 2017, 11:12:18 PM »
I'm 100% on board with jinder as champ. I have no problems with it whatsoever.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2093 on: May 23, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »
I'm interested to see how it plays out as well.  I can't Jinder holding the title past Summerslam though.

This fatal five way coming up should be good.  A potential Samoa Joe- Brock Lesnar match has me very interested.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2094 on: May 30, 2017, 12:21:37 AM »
Good main event tonight on Raw as I find Reigns is very capable of having good-excellent matches with the right opponent. The fatal five way on Sunday should be very good as I can see any of the five winning, which makes things interesting.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2095 on: May 30, 2017, 01:08:55 AM »
Sasha Banks is relegated to a pre show tag team match with Alicia Fox and two cruiserweights when last year around this time she was the top babyface female on the entire roster and was starting her Pro Wrestling Illustrated Award winning feud with Charlotte. #SaveSasha

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2096 on: May 30, 2017, 01:50:20 AM »
Despite them making a big deal about the divas/womens revolution, they still don't know how to book the division well. And they've spread themselves far too thin with the brand split, so they're still using all of the terrible "divas" who can't wrestle for shit and make the division look bad.

But at least it's not as bad as it was 15 ago. Last night I watched a match from Insurrextion 2003(?), where they had a women's tag match with a feud based around the heel females getting heat for dressing moderately, and when Marlena interviewed them before the match she took her top off. Also, King was on commentary. Enough said. :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2097 on: May 30, 2017, 03:35:26 AM »
If you've seen the computer background thread, you know that my desktop is the Four Horsewomen. I love all four of those women but Sasha is by far my favorite of the bunch. I just want WWE to give her the proper run with the title that she deserves.

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2098 on: May 30, 2017, 04:15:21 AM »
I was wondering the same thing tonight, that Sasha has been put down the card big time. Tonight she is on 205 live, not sure what the plans are for that.

Same thing with Charlotte on smack down, it feels like she is being underutilized at the moment. Unless the plan is for her to win money in the bank.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: June 05, 2017, 06:36:50 AM »
Excellent main event last night, Brock vs Joe should be classic!