Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203684 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1680 on: January 06, 2017, 04:47:14 AM »
There have been so many great wrestlers who were signed to WWE/OVW at some point but never eventuated. Many of the best Lucha Underground wrestlers were technically employed for a bit or at least had tryouts at some point. WWE have missed out on some great talent.
WWE definitely has their eyes on NJPW. AJ Styles and Nakamura were facing each other last year at WK, then right after got signed to WWE. Then there's the Bullet Club.
If you can make it that big in NJPW, you'd want a pretty damn good deal to move to WWE, where it's pot luck whether you get much of a chance. I'm glad there's an alternative out there for good wrestlers besides rotting in TNA. :lol

Definitely wanna check out some more Omega matches. Any particular recommendations?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1681 on: January 06, 2017, 04:53:05 AM »
I really think you would enjoy any match from NJPW with Kenny in it.

I do remember one match he had a few years back in NJPW that made headlines all over the place.  It was a comedy match against a 9 year old girl and its funny stuff.  Check that out just for comedy relief.

But like I said, I'm confident you will enjoy any of his matches.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: January 06, 2017, 05:04:12 AM »
:rollin OMG, I just watched the match with the 9 year old girl. That was hilariously awesome. She's a great worker! :metal

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1683 on: January 06, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
Supposedly he has an open invitation to join NXT whenever he wants. I think he's happier being a big fish in a somewhat smaller pond than becoming another cog in the WWE machine (don't mean this in a bad way either).
Photobucket sucks.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1684 on: January 06, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »
Supposedly he has an open invitation to join NXT whenever he wants. I think he's happier being a big fish in a somewhat smaller pond than becoming another cog in the WWE machine (don't mean this in a bad way either).

I concur. WWE has so many good talents, atm, but I feel like when it comes to showcasing them, I feel that WWE is really not putting their best foot forward when it comes to the booking and rather keep flaunting the days of yesteryear and Cena and whatever over truly moving forward with their big roster.

Kenny Omega and what he has done at the G1 Climax and the Tokyo Dome show, he has shown that he can be a big player and draw for NJPW which is quite surprising given his start.  He started during the Canadian independent scene (there's a video of him fighting for this Champion of Anywhere match and I really think TNA's The Final Deletion was inspired off of that), wrestled in DDT which is full of weird stuff including wrestling sex dolls, teaming up with Kota Ibushi where they were known as "Golden Lovers", to wrestling that nine-year old girl, to eventually wrestling Kota Ibushi in a long main event in Budokan Hall in front of about 11,000 people to eventually finding his way to NJPW and slowly building himself to be a superstar there.

So yeah, I don't blame him if he wants to stick around in NJPW for a while.  He can do a lot now there than if he is in WWE/NXT where he could just be another guy in the WWE machine.  It's not every day you'll see him going 46 minutes against the present/future of NJPW in front of 26,000 people.  I do think he'll win their big championship eventually.  He seems to have plenty of ideas lined up regarding NJPW and them growing, so it's definitely for the better if he sticks around.  I don't watch WWE anymore, but love watching NJPW, so I don't mind this at all. 

Just because WWE signed Shinsuke Nakamura and AJ Styles, doesn't mean I'm going to watch their product again.  It just means that I'm not going to watch Nakamura and Styles as much as I want to.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1685 on: January 09, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
Meltzer just gave that Okada/Kenny Omega match 6 Stars! I'm so out of touch with anything not WWE-related I have never heard of either of those guys.

Undertaker officially in the Rumble. During his promo though they cut away to Strowman. They better not be setting up that as a match. Undertaker/Cena at WM33 makes much more sense than him with Strowman. Undertaker/HefDaddy makes much more sense than him with Strowman.

I never watched WCW, what was the appeal to Goldberg? I mean, I get the initial appeal, but how did it carry on for so long?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: January 09, 2017, 08:21:19 PM »
Undertaker- Cena really should happen.  Its one of the last dream matches left as they have wrestled before, but not on a major stage.

I need to track down that Okada/Kenny match.  I think Meltzer has only given around 10 matches five stars in the thousands and thousands of matches he has watched, so a six star match is mind boggling.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1687 on: January 09, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »
Regarding Cena/Undertaker.  I still felt like they should not have Lesnar broken the streak.  I mean Cena/Taker for the streak was a guarandamntee license to print money match that would easily would have drawn 100k people at Wrestlemania, regardless of the strength of the other matches on the card.  It could have been this generation's Andre/Hogan.

Meltzer just gave that Okada/Kenny Omega match 6 Stars! I'm so out of touch with anything not WWE-related I have never heard of either of those guys.

To keep it short and sweet, Okada is the present/future of NJPW.  Known as the Rainmaker, in his big matches, he has money raining down on his entrance (obviously fake money with his face on it).  Has a pretty cool looking dropkick.  Just looks like he's a big deal based on how he presents himself in and outside of the ring.  Only 29 years old and has proven to be a good draw/asset for NJPW.

Kenny Omega.  Comes from Winnipeg (same city as Chris Jericho).  Started off wrestling in Canadian independent scenes I think.  Had a video where he was the Champion of the Anywhere match (it's a funny watch).  Then he went to this Japanese promotion called Dramatic Dream Team where he, among other things, wrestled sex dolls, a nine-year girl, and teamed up and eventually wrestled a bishonen pretty boy name Kota Ibushi.  Was officially signed to NJPW in 2014.  Eventually climbed the ladder up where he found himself winning the G1 Climax (NJPW's big tourney of the year, and probably the best tourney right now in all of professional wrestling) and headlined the Tokyo Dome show on January 4th where he and Okada wrestled a 46 minute match (it didn't even feel that long).  The dude also loves video games (especially Final Fantasy and Street Fighter) and is fluent in Japanese.

So yeah, both guys are definitely worth watching and that match is definitely worth watching (though I wouldn't go crazy and give it six-stars like Meltzer and screw up the whole star system).  Both guys took a lot of painful punishment and bumps, but carried on in that long match like there was no tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:46:20 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: January 15, 2017, 02:40:02 PM »
RIP Superfly!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1690 on: January 15, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »
Anybody watching the UK Tournament on the WWE Network (only 9.99 a month!)? Most of the matches have been at least solid and the final was *fantastic*.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1691 on: January 15, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
RIP Jimmy Snuka. A true legend.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1692 on: January 16, 2017, 07:38:19 AM »
Murderer.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1693 on: January 16, 2017, 03:25:28 PM »
Well, this is unexpected.  Kurt friken Angle is going to the WWE Hall of Fame.  I didn't think WWE would contact him given what happened in 2006, but it looks like he will return to the WWE in some capacity.  I hope if he comes back in a wrestling capacity, he wrestles Styles or Nakamura.  He wrestled them back in the late 2000s in TNA and NJPW, but those guys have grown as wrestlers since then with their more refined personas and I would like to see Angle take on those guys in their modern form.

OH IT'S TRUE, IT'S DAMN TRUE!

https://corporate.wwe.com/news/company-news/2017/01-16-2017

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: January 16, 2017, 03:34:57 PM »
Very cool news!

Would like to see one more run with Angle and hopefully this puts him in the Rumble

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1695 on: January 16, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »
Well, this is unexpected.  Kurt friken Angle is going to the WWE Hall of Fame.  I didn't think WWE would contact him given what happened in 2006, but it looks like he will return to the WWE in some capacity.  I hope if he comes back in a wrestling capacity, he wrestles Styles or Nakamura.  He wrestled them back in the late 2000s in TNA and NJPW, but those guys have grown as wrestlers since then with their more refined personas and I would like to see Angle take on those guys in their modern form.

OH IT'S TRUE, IT'S DAMN TRUE!

https://corporate.wwe.com/news/company-news/2017/01-16-2017

To be fair, Kurt said in an interview recently that he asked for his release at a time that he was deep into his painkiller addiction and he didn't want to be a liability to Vince. The WWE has mended fences with people who they've had bigger falling outs with.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1696 on: January 16, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »
What happened in 2006?

I always thought he was just injured and needed time off and couldn't get it

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1697 on: January 16, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »
He had a painkiller addiction  in 2006, WWE wanted him to go to rehab, I believe, Angle opted not to, wanted a release, ended up in TNA a month later.  It's not too much a falling out as other people like TheCountOfNYC stated, but given that it's about 11 years since WWE wanted to do anything with Kurt, I didn't think WWE wanted to do anything with him in the future.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: January 16, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »
KURT FUCKING ANGLE

My favourite wrestler of all time, going into the HOF. The only downside is that this perhaps precludes any comeback matches. Even just one more match at WM would be amazing.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1699 on: January 16, 2017, 08:37:36 PM »
KURT FUCKING ANGLE

My favourite wrestler of all time, going into the HOF. The only downside is that this perhaps precludes any comeback matches. Even just one more match at WM would be amazing.

He tweeted that he's coming home and he's also appearing on Sportcenter with Coachman this week. The last person to do that was Goldberg and that led to his return.

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: January 16, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
KURT FUCKING ANGLE

He tweeted that he's coming home and he's also appearing on Sportcenter with Coachman this week. The last person to do that was Goldberg and that led to his return.

Goldberg wasn't announced for the HOF beforehand, but I like the optimism. :D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1701 on: January 16, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
Beth Phoenix is rumored to be inducted but I can't remember a single noteworthy thing she's done. I wasn't actively watching during her run, so maybe I missed something, but I only recall her being this big bad Brawn Strowman type wrestler.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: January 16, 2017, 11:08:06 PM »
Cool for Kurt! He was so good in the early 2000s. I lost touch with WWE around 2003/4 and never watched him in any other promotions, but his first few years in WWE were definitely HoF worthy. In baseball terms, he was a 5-Tool player. In the ring, on the mic, face, heel, he was the total package.

And he had an amazing ability to play the fool, without being foolish. If that makes any sense. What other wrestler could have pulled off this bit with the tiny hat?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: January 16, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
He was also a rare heel who got numerous submission victories over top faces. The way Angle did the ankle lock was the best. There is no move he couldn't reverse into the ankle lock, it was insane.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: January 17, 2017, 12:19:52 AM »
For someone who never watched pro wrestling and had no interest in it, he sure picked it up fast. He became without question one of the best of all time

He's been sober and clear headed for a few years so I'm hoping for one last run, he deserves it

And his interactions with Steve Austin in those skits was comic gold

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1705 on: January 17, 2017, 10:12:47 AM »
I saw an interview with him this morning where he said that Steve Austin was the only guy he has kept in touch with.

Triple H called him about the HOF. 

Also, that Kenny Omega match was incredible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1706 on: January 17, 2017, 10:15:35 AM »
It really was. I can't get over both the backdrop spot and that dragon suplex from the top. Insane.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1707 on: January 28, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »
All hail Bobby Roode :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1708 on: January 28, 2017, 11:48:22 PM »
The NXT Championship is now glorious. Congrats to Bobby Roode, who with his charisma and in ring skill has the potential to bring NXT back to the level it was at two years ago before WWE started calling all of their top talent up.

-MirrorMask

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: January 29, 2017, 04:26:47 AM »
Bobby Roode is outstanding!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: January 29, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »
Been watching some Mid-Atlantic/JCP/SMW (not Super Mario World) videos on YT lately. Is it safe to say the Rock N Roll Express were pretty over in the 80s?

I know the knock on them is that they appealed mainly to the training bra crowd, as Flair would have put it, but these guys were huge.

https://youtu.be/S-tUHi8tfG0?t=1m6s

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: January 29, 2017, 08:44:53 PM »
:facepalm:

They better not waste an Undertaker WM match on Reigns. Get over it, Vince. Reigns is ass and can't carry a match. He's had more than enough chances, and failed. And don't get me started on the possibility of Reigns beating Taker. He's already the most hated guy in the company. They never learn from their mistakes.

And why waste an RR win on Orton? Terrible. Worst final two I can think of.

The only surprise was that I enjoyed Strowman's run, and was disappointed when he got eliminated.

Of course Cena vs Styles was as good as expected. That last AA! Cena earned it, although I wish this was a WM match, because neither of them will get as good a match at WM.

WM is shaping up to be awful.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1712 on: January 29, 2017, 08:59:50 PM »
:facepalm:

They better not waste an Undertaker WM match on Reigns. Get over it, Vince. Reigns is ass and can't carry a match. He's had more than enough chances, and failed. And don't get me started on the possibility of Reigns beating Taker. He's already the most hated guy in the company. They never learn from their mistakes.

And why waste an RR win on Orton? Terrible. Worst final two I can think of.

The only surprise was that I enjoyed Strowman's run, and was disappointed when he got eliminated.

Of course Cena vs Styles was as good as expected. That last AA! Cena earned it, although I wish this was a WM match, because neither of them will get as good a match at WM.

WM is shaping up to be awful.

Quoted for truth. Unless Styles wins the belt back at Elimination Chamber (which he should have never lost tonight to begin with), we'll be getting Cena vs Orton. Again. Their rivalry is more stale than ten year old bread and nobody wants to see that as the main event of the biggest show of the year. Now Styles vs Orton would be incredible but knowing WWE's penchant to always make the wrong booking decision, I doubt that we'll get that. Also, Charlotte absolutely should not have won clean tonight. It does no favors to the storyline to have Bayley lose clean. The WWE writers need to create sympathy for her while generating heat for Charlotte so that when Bayley does eventually beat Charlotte's PPV streak for the title at Mania, the moment is that much better. Once again, another poor booking decision by the powers at be.

-MirrorMask

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1713 on: January 30, 2017, 04:51:54 AM »
I thought the Cena-Styles match was outstanding.

The Rumble match itself was ok, but I was disappointed in the lack of surprise entrants. I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping Angle would be in it. But it appears this was stage one of a possible Roman heel turn. His match with Owens was better than I expected.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1714 on: January 30, 2017, 07:11:03 AM »
Been watching some Mid-Atlantic/JCP/SMW (not Super Mario World) videos on YT lately. Is it safe to say the Rock N Roll Express were pretty over in the 80s?

I know the knock on them is that they appealed mainly to the training bra crowd, as Flair would have put it, but these guys were huge.

https://youtu.be/S-tUHi8tfG0?t=1m6s
Those were my glory days in wrestling, and yes, the RnR Express were huge.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.