Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203648 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Piper
« Reply #1190 on: November 07, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »
Lucha Underground is much better than NXT. NXT is much better than WWE, but they're still stuck under a lot of the restrictions that WWE place on themselves that holds them back.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1191 on: November 07, 2015, 12:13:27 PM »
Lucha Underground is much better than NXT. NXT is much better than WWE, but they're still stuck under a lot of the restrictions that WWE place on themselves that holds them back.

Part of that is probably why I cannot get into NXT even though it has been highly acclaimed because we know the moment these young great wrestlers get into the main roster, they are going to get neutered hard and it's hard to get into it knowing that.

It just sucks that they are not getting paid as much (even if anything at all) as the main roster, but I guess that's developmental for you.  At least, for hockey players and the likes, that are in development farm systems, those guys don't get neutered when getting called to the main roster, sometimes.

As for Power Struggle, it was a fine event.  All I asked was that the top 3 matches was good/great and that's what I got.  Most importantly, the post-match in the last two match sets up the two big matches of Wrestle Kingdom.  Okada/Tanahashi, which has been established already, but the disdain from Tanahashi on Okada has elevated to another level, he just coming after Okada very aggressively in the post-match.  I was hoping Okada tombstoned Tanahashi on the floor, but the refs and the Young Lions didn't want that. 

Most importantly, we got AJ Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura at the Tokyo Dome, baby.  That's one of the few matches NJPW has yet to do since AJ went to NJPW in 2014.  Should a great one.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:21:39 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1192 on: November 07, 2015, 01:59:15 PM »
Well you can think about what may happen down the line and not get into NXT or just say fuck it and enjoy the great matches the NXT roster routinely put on, especially the women.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1193 on: November 07, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
I have only been watching the year-old matches of NJPW on AXS for a couple of months now.  I was under the impression that Tanahashi was supposed to be a face and Okada, Nakamura, and all the members of Chaos were supposed to be heels.  I know that the Japanese fans always cheer for their own (even Chaos) against Americans, who are cast as de facto heels.  In the events since WrestleKingdom 9, have Tanahashi and Okada done a double turn?  Or are the fans just sick of Tanahashi like the American fans are of Cena, even if he doesn't do anything heelish?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1194 on: November 07, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
The Chaos face/heel dynamics are weird, at times.  You got Nakamura whose actually an uber-face in most peoples' (foreign or Japanese) eyes.  Guys like Yano and the other guys of Chaos could be heel, but are indeed very face against guys from Bullet Club.

Okada, with his arrogant Rainmaker persona, screams heel, but he's the main guy that can take down the face of the Bullet Club in the form of AJ Styles, and the crowd was with him loudly in Dominion back in July.  Also, people can acknowledge how talented he is and probably thinks he is the right guy to lead NJPW's future when Nakamura and Tanahashi may scale things down.  People would want to root for that.  Though he can act very heelish, even against his own stable members (Check out Okada/Nakamura in G1 25 of this year, not the one in AXS TV, the one that took place a year later).

Tanahashi is the uber-face, the John Cena of NJPW, atm, though he works like Eddie Guerrero or Shawn Michaels, whose capable of working heel well even as a babyface, during the proper matches.  I don't want to say the fans are tired of Tanahashi, though I do not blame them since he's going to headline Wrestle Kingdom for the sixth year in a row.  I feel like Tanahashi's ongoing huge "disdain" over Okada is going to push him to be the de-facto heel going into January 4th.  He just kept coming after Okada very heelishly after their Power Struggle tag match, yesterday, though he may still be a huge face against guys like Naito.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: November 22, 2015, 08:33:30 AM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - New Champ to be crowned @Survivor Series.
« Reply #1196 on: November 22, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »
Should be interesting tonight.

I think a Roman win along with a heel turn will happen

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1197 on: November 22, 2015, 09:22:42 AM »
I would love a Reigns heel turn just to watch the net smarks do a 180 on him overnight.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: November 22, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »
After a Roman win/heel turn, then maybe a surprise return at the Rumble for Daniel Bryan and a win. Then Bryan-Roman at WM

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1199 on: November 22, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
No. Roman goes heel over Ambrose. Ambrose wins Rumble. Seth screws Reigns at WM.

HIRE ME VINCE

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #1200 on: November 22, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »
https://degenerationjax.com/podcast/episode-11

Our final SS preview for tonight's show. Plus we discuss the Paige/Charlotte controversial promo, the terrorist threat rumors, the Rousey loss and finish it up with some SS trivia. Check it out guys.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1201 on: November 22, 2015, 12:37:52 PM »
I'm thinking that it's going to be Reigns over Ambrose, and joining the Authority in the process.  My preferred choice would be to just give it to Owens, because the WWE badly needs a heel that can talk, and Del Rio certainly isn't it.  Ambrose looks like he would be fun for a month or two, but fans would get sick of his act after a couple of months.  Reigns will eventually be the face of the company, because Vince is dead set on it, but he still needs to be rehabilitated and now isn't the time to give him the belt.

No sooner than I espouse New Japan's virtues, I see a Junior Heavyweight Title match where Kenny Omega and Ryusuke Taguchi sodomize each other with the Bullet Club's flag pole and make me look like a total idiot in front of my friends.  Then, the rematch between Tanahashi and Styles was very lackluster compared to their previous match and the Tanahashi-Okada Wrestle Kingdom match.  I'm hoping that AXS TV leapfrogs a few months and shows the G1 Climax matches soon, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1202 on: November 22, 2015, 12:37:56 PM »
I would have Ambrose win over Reigns clean. Reigns instead of being happy for his friend proceeds to beat the shit out of him.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1203 on: November 22, 2015, 09:34:44 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: November 22, 2015, 09:48:12 PM »
Overall, the event was solid.  I knew a swerve of some kind was going to happen with the main event only lasting 9 minutes.  Interested to see where this will lead.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1205 on: November 22, 2015, 09:58:19 PM »
Sheamus is the WWE Champion.

"That ought to put butts in seats!" -Tony Schiavone

Nice to know that they think our attention span is so short that they can recycle finishes from only two years ago.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: November 22, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »
They will need to completely revamp Sheamus' character IMO.  As is, nobody really has much interest in him and the character has been stale for quite some time.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1207 on: November 23, 2015, 12:57:33 AM »
They will need to completely revamp Sheamus' character IMO.  As is, nobody really has much interest in him and the character has been stale for quite some time.

They'll give him a suit and some shades.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: November 23, 2015, 05:52:17 AM »
Ugh, same tired old shit ending. Without Rollins and Cena and now with Sheamus as champ, I'm struggling to find any reason to want to watch Raw. Maybe the whole point of this is to make the prospect of Reigns being champ not look so bad by comparison. :lol

That crowd started off great, but by the end of the night they were asleep. That women's match deserved a much better response than it got. That was good stuff.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1209 on: November 23, 2015, 07:29:18 AM »
I miss Seth.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: November 23, 2015, 07:49:15 AM »
I miss Seth too. :( So many great matches in a short time.

And I could rewatch that WM ending all day.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1211 on: November 23, 2015, 08:04:44 AM »
I should have known. Rollins getting injured was a perfect opportunity to hit the reset switch and try something different. So of course Vince just went with the safest option possible instead of turning somebody heel.

I DO like sheamus. When they give him something to do he can be entertaining, but the problem is most of the time they dont and he's just kinda there.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: November 23, 2015, 08:07:59 AM »
I've never liked Sheamus, but they haven't done anything with him since winning the briefcase. I thought that tonight maybe they'd make him single handedly win the rest of the Survivor Series match to look stronger when he cashed in, but nope not even that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1213 on: November 23, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »
I'm so glad I don't watch this crap anymore.  Even my dad, who has watched wrestling regularly since I was born, barely watches anymore, because of how bad it is.  Sheamus is a mid-carder, yet now he's the champion?  Oh my. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin For those old enough to remember, that would be like if The Warlord was the champion in 1991.

Let me know when Bryan or Punk are back, and then maybe I'll watch again. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1214 on: November 23, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »
It's hard for me to convince myself to watch WWE again, with the exception of NXT, after sitting back and enjoying watching NJPW in real time during the very late nights.  I mean over the past weekend, I watched two shows from NJPW in real time and it was nothing but tag matches and one of those shows had no commentary and only a single camera angle. Basically a house show, but I had a good time watching it and it was well worth it to me in the end.  I wouldn't do the same thing for WWE nowadays, in a scenario like that, and I don't know what would convince me to watch them again.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1215 on: November 23, 2015, 09:05:59 PM »
I'm so glad I don't watch this crap anymore.  Even my dad, who has watched wrestling regularly since I was born, barely watches anymore, because of how bad it is.  Sheamus is a mid-carder, yet now he's the champion?  Oh my. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin For those old enough to remember, that would be like if The Warlord was the champion in 1991.

I'll always remember The Warlord for his 2 second Royal Rumble appearance.  From what I've seen of Seamus, he's barely even worthy of the IC title.

I stopped watching the WWE shortly after the Attitude era ended - I'm trying to remember the last PPV I watched live... it was probably with Lesnar's first go-around.  Lesnar/Angle was a great WM match.  Nowaday's, there's just no depth in the roster.  I never ever 'got' Punk, and there is no "star" power anywhere after Cena.  I've watched (YT'd) a few matches that you guys go gaga over, but Raw is about 15 minutes of action, and 2 hours of filler ... oh wait, they upped it to a 3 hour show a while back, didn't they?  I remember someone (Kev?) saying it was like making a double cheeseburger a 'triple', but still using the same amount of meat.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1216 on: November 23, 2015, 09:14:45 PM »
I didn't say that, but it sounds about right. :lol :lol

From the way it sounds, this corporate angle is probably never-ending, which is a way for the attention whore that is HHH to keep himself involved in the top program without actually having to wrestle.  What a shock.

That is a big reason why I stopped watching.  He and Stephanie are both brutal to listen to on the mic, and not in a "they are heels so we are supposed to hate them" way, but more in a "they make me turn if off" way.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1217 on: November 23, 2015, 09:19:17 PM »
I didn't say that, but it sounds about right. :lol :lol

From the way it sounds, this corporate angle is probably never-ending, which is a way for the attention whore that is HHH to keep himself involved in the top program without actually having to wrestle.  What a shock.

That is a big reason why I stopped watching.  He and Stephanie are both brutal to listen to on the mic, and not in a "they are heels so we are supposed to hate them" way, but more in a "they make me turn if off" way.

I'd still hit her.  Just press mute.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1218 on: November 23, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »
I've never found her that attractive, but then again, balloon-looking fake boobs and overly muscular, manly shoulders don't really do it for me. :P :lol

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1219 on: November 24, 2015, 08:17:52 AM »

Sheamus keeps getting pushed because he is or used to be Triple H's spotter.  That, and the fact that Vince likes big men.

The MITB briefcase holder does nothing but job after he wins the briefcase, so that it's a surprise when he actually cashes in and succeeds.  Ziggler and Bryan never won a match in the interim.  Rollins and Sheamus were protected a little better, but even Sheamus was jobbing left and right lately, including earlier in the PPV.

I wouldn't consider Sheamus a midcarder, per se.  He was pushed to the moon immediately.  He beat Cena twice for the WWE title, albeit in table matches and that sort of thing, and then he singlehandedly started the Yes Movement when he was booked to beat Bryan for the World Title in record time and the fans revolted.  He was also one of the stars who crossed the picket line and was given mic time with Cena and Punk during that stupid "strike" by the rest of the roster when Mark Henry among others made the WWE an unsafe work environment, essentially positioning him as a top guy who "cared more about the fans" than the rest of the roster.  He also got to pass out to Rusev's accolade instead of tap, which Vince doesn't allow his top faces to do, so he's been positioned as a big deal for years now.  It's just that his reaction, face or heel, doesn't justify his placement.

I've never found her that attractive, but then again, balloon-looking fake boobs and overly muscular, manly shoulders don't really do it for me. :P :lol

It works for Nikki Bella.

My opinion on Stephanie changes, depending on how her weight fluctuates.  I thought she looked good in her dominatrix ring gear when she "wrestled" Brie at SummerSlam in '14, but she goes through periods where she's as big as a horse.  That said, she and Triple H are the reason the show gets 2's in the Nielsens instead of 3.5s-4s, because we're accustomed to having a 20 minute Authority promo every week shoved down our throats, then 3 or 4 backstage segments with them, and half the time they go back and forth as crooked or benevolent authority figures (the Divas Revolution, i.e.) that there's no continuity.  Maybe they're just supposed to be incompetent like Roger Goodell?

Either way, the WWE is the fourth or fifth best promotion on TV right now, behind New Japan and their own developmental league (albeit online, prescription channel), Ring of Honor, and in some people's eyes, Lucha Underground.  At least while they're still on the air, TNA is far worse, but even their product was better than current WWE in the late 2000s, before Hogan and Bischoff strip mined the company.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:00:42 PM by mrrct »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: November 24, 2015, 08:29:15 AM »
I cannot wait for Lucha Underground to come back. That show is a clinic in good booking and utilizing all of your talent effectively, not to mention the wrestling being consistently top notch.

Someone needs to tell them that using the term Divas Revolution as a storyline defeats the entire purpose of the Divas Revolution. :facepalm: Kind of like how at Wrestlemania they kept telling us something was a Wrestlemania moment.

I skimmed through Raw quicker than ever this week. I just can't sit through the same old tired Authority bullshit week after week. It's not because they're good at being heels, it's because it's tedious as hell and redundant to watch and makes me hate WWE. Even in fast forward, I can tell exactly what they're saying, because it's the same generic crap they said last week and the week before. Just because you did it well once in the attitude era, doesn't mean it will work with every single top face of the week. It's obviously not getting Reigns over. Time to just nuke it all and start fresh.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1221 on: November 24, 2015, 08:31:45 AM »
TNA is far worse, but even their product was better than current WWE in the late 2000s, before Hogan and Bischoff strip mined the company.

It was so depressing to see that TNA delivered in 2009 back-to-back quality main-event matches, two PPVs in a Row, regarding guys like Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, Kurt Angle, and Desmond Wolfe (Nigel Mcguinness) and then it all just went to crap a few years later (maybe even sooner).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: November 24, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »
Between Raw, Smackdown, NXT, the Network, and the half dozen other weekly shows, WWE has just oversaturated their product. I'm as big of a wrestling fan as you'll get, and I'm tired of the current product. That should tell you something.

The first thing they need to do is go back to a two hour Raw, but that likely won't happen due to the lost revenue. But their current ratings are getting scary low. It's going to get worse if they continue as is

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1223 on: November 24, 2015, 12:55:37 PM »
Just wanted to add one thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci1wkgqt6g8

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1224 on: November 24, 2015, 01:11:45 PM »
Between Raw, Smackdown, NXT, the Network, and the half dozen other weekly shows, WWE has just oversaturated their product. I'm as big of a wrestling fan as you'll get, and I'm tired of the current product. That should tell you something.

The first thing they need to do is go back to a two hour Raw, but that likely won't happen due to the lost revenue. But their current ratings are getting scary low. It's going to get worse if they continue as is

NXT is almost an alternate universe of WWE, where feuds are well thought out and matches are well-choreographed and given enough time.  Sasha Banks was awesome in NXT and she's nothing on the main roster right now, although the fans are definitely making it known that she should be the star of the division.

Smackdown is essentially just a Raw recap show with a few throw-away matches added in that don't seem to count as much as Raw matches.  Superstars and Main Event are C level shows the way that Metal, Jakked, et al used to be, although when Main Event started it had only 1 or 2 long matches and appealed to work rate fans like myself.  They probably felt that it was too redundant with the NXT weekly show, so they changed it.  So Raw is really the only show to watch if you want to be caught up in the storylines (or read 411mania).