Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 204993 times)

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - NXT > WWE
« Reply #910 on: March 28, 2015, 09:47:46 PM »
I care, but only because I feel this is the first Mania in a long time where I don't feel like I know who wins every match.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #911 on: March 29, 2015, 01:58:32 AM »
So, Wrestlemania is tomorrow.  The question is, does anybody care?

I've never felt this ambivalent about Wrestlemania.

Man, I just don't care much about this year's Wrestlemania, so much, I'm considering watching an EDM festival on Twitch.tv over WM and I'm not a huge fan of EDM.

Which pretty much sucked considering at the beginning at WM 28, I was so hyped about the whole show.  And then 18 seconds into the 1st match later......., and then the following matches later.......

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #912 on: March 29, 2015, 03:44:02 AM »
I definitely don't care. This year its incredibly underwhelming.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #913 on: March 29, 2015, 04:19:57 AM »
Wrestlemania has been at the level of every other PPV for years. When was the last time it was actually a big deal?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #914 on: March 29, 2015, 09:09:44 AM »
If I could pinpoint the precise year where they started the whole "everyone starts pointing and looking at the Wrestlemania sign" I could tell you. The last time 'Mania felt huge to me was the first Shawn Michaels/Undertaker match, and even then that wasn't the whole show, just that match. Mania's been basically just another PPV in the biggest place they go to each year for years.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: March 29, 2015, 09:19:07 AM »
I've always been a huge wrestling fan, and family and friends treat Wrestlemania much like the Super Bowl. We're having a huge party tonight, and regardless of whether the show is great, shit, or somewhere in the middle, we'll have fun, and that's the most important thing.

With that said, I can understand why many aren't excited for the show tonight. NXT's white hot product proves that there are some folks in power who know how to deliver a great product. So it was very frustrating to see Roman Reigns win the Royal Rumble, not because of anything that Roman did or didn't do personally, but because it was so damn predictable, and there were other guys that are considered to be more deserving by many.

I personally am very excited for the Intercontinental Title Ladder match. It has a lot of my current favorites in it. And while I'd rather see guys like Ziggler, Ambrose and Stardust doing something "bigger", I can't help but think that this will be an amazing match. It's also great to see R-Truth in a meaningful match at Mania. Much deserved.

I'm also excited for Orton and Rollins. That will probably have the best wrestling of the night.

Sting vs. Trips.... yeah, I would have preferred to have seen Sting show up years ago. But I am curious to see what he has left in the tank, and love him or hate him, Trips has still got it.

I'm a bigger Bray Wyatt fan than most, but this match against Taker isn't one I'm looking forward to... however the entrances should be fantastic.

Rusev vs. Cena. Great build. I think Rusev comes out looking great whether he wins or loses. I'm not the biggest Cena fan, but this should still be good.

The Beast vs. The Chosen One.  At this point, I'm okay with either one of these guys, or Rollins leaving Mania with the strap. I don't have high hopes for the match itself, but maybe they'll surprise me.

All in all, expectations are down for tonight's show. So maybe it will surprise. We shall see.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #916 on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »
^^ Pretty much this.  It's my favorite day of the year.  Watching the network all day.  Wearing 3 different WWE shirts throughout the day.  Huge party at my house tonight.  Lifelong fan and always will be.

Even though the card is slightly underwhelming, you're all are still watching it tonight.  You wouldn't have posted in this thread otherwise.  My predictions:

Cesaro/Kidd retain
Mizdow or Ryback wins the battle royal
Bella Twins go over
Orton goes over
Rusev beats Cena
Ambrose wins the IC title
Sting beats HHH
Taker beats Wyatt
Lesnar retains

Rollins attempted cash in either tonight or tomorrow

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #917 on: March 29, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »
Sheamus most likely will be returning tonight. I predict he will win the battle royal or the IC title.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #918 on: March 29, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »

Even though the card is slightly underwhelming, you're all are still watching it tonight.  You wouldn't have posted in this thread otherwise.   

You are incorrect.  I haven't paid for a PPV since the early 90s.   I will not be watching.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #919 on: March 29, 2015, 12:56:33 PM »
You don't have to pay for it to watch it tonight. :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #920 on: March 29, 2015, 01:01:01 PM »
I just watched Wrestlemania 2000 yesterday. Such a perfect snapshot of the Attitude era in both the worst and best possible way. A really solid Wrestlemania, especially considering there was no Austin or Undertaker.

My expectations for Wrestlemania 30 were not high going in, but that ended up being a surprisingly solid Wrestlemania too, as good as it could have been given the card.
My expectations are much much much lower this year, and I'm not sure if it can be salvaged, but I'm still a little excited, because Wrestlemania is the one PPV of the year they pull out all stops and do something big.

My final predictions are-

Don't know/care who wins the tag titles, or the battle royal. Maybe Ryback? They're all jobbers. I was thinking Sheamus would return and win this, but now that it's on the preshow, that doesn't seem likely.

Orton vs Rollins - This could go either way. Rollins needs the win much more than Orton, but Orton just came back and is apparently supposed to be liked now.

Rusev vs Cena - I think this one is a definite lock for Cena. I can't see Rusev winning this match unless they do a screwball finish, which would be terrible for the end of a big feud at WM.

AJ Lee & Paige vs The Bellas - Probably the Bellas.

The Undertaker vs Bray Wyatt - I don't think having Undertaker lose two years in a row would benefit anyone, so I think The Undertaker should win this one, but there's a good case for them wanting Wyatt to win it.

Sting vs HHH - I think this is another sure thing with Sting winning, unless he intends to continue wrestling after this. For that reason, I hope Sting wins it and disappears.

IC ladder match - Daniel Bryan, unless Sheamus is in it, in which case Sheamus, which would ruin the one match I even care about. Hooray.

Lesnar vs Reigns - My money is still on Reigns winning, because Vince is a stubborn old fool. My expectations could not be lower, so if anything slightly different to "Reigns conquers the beast and wins the belt" happens, I'll consider it a success.

Someone told me there's a possible plan for Miz/Mizdow to have something happen in the battle royal and then have a match later in the night, which would be stupid as they've had plenty of time to build that up right and book a match.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: March 29, 2015, 01:27:26 PM »
Even though the card is slightly underwhelming, you're all are still watching it tonight.  You wouldn't have posted in this thread otherwise.  My predictions:

Nope.  I'll still get once it comes out on DVD - I have every Wrestlemania on DVD, and the collection has a lot of sentimental value for me, so I'm not ready to give up on it yet - but I'm definitely not watching it tonight. 

I don't even have any real problem with the card in and of itself, as I think most of the matches could have the potential to be good.  They just haven't done anything to make me excited about anything.  In my opinion, the build up has been kind of pathetic, and almost every feud and storyline has been awkward in some way or another.  Wyatt vs. Undertaker, for instance, could be a very interesting program for me, but considering the Undertaker hasn't actually shown up for any of it, it's been very difficult for me to muster any interest.  And I've been wanting Sting to show up in WWE for years, so that should be huge for me, but it isn't, because they've been treating him like a pure novelty attraction.  The only cool thing about Sting's appearances on RAW has been the basic fact that Sting was appearing on RAW.  Not to mention Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar, whose only physical interaction in the buildup to their Wrestlemania main event world championship match has been a tug of war.

The only feud that has been legitimately interesting to me is Rusev vs. Cena.  I might be excited about that match, except I'm 99% sure Cena is going to win.  I literally cannot imagine them ending this feud with Rusev gonig over Cena clean.  Maybe they'll surprise the hell out of me, but at this point, there's very little suspense for me, because the finish seems obvious. 

As I said, I'll get it on DVD eventually, and I'm sure some of the matches will be good, especially the ladder match.  But my excitement level is in the toilet. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: March 29, 2015, 01:44:18 PM »
I might be excited about that match, except I'm 99% sure Cena is going to win.  I literally cannot imagine them ending this feud with Rusev gonig over Cena clean.  Maybe they'll surprise the hell out of me, but at this point, there's very little suspense for me, because the finish seems obvious. 

I feel the same. They shouldn't have had the match at Fast Lane, with Rusev getting the win on technicality. It made it too obvious that Cena had to get back the win at WM to end the feud. Wrestlemania should have been their first time, with one clean winner, and a big buildup.
Rusev getting the win at WM would have been the big story, not Cena getting the win, because that is the path of least resistance and the most obvious and boring outcome. They've booked this whole feud backwards, if they want to build up Rusev. He'll be back to beating up jobbers next week and never leave the midcard again. Then WWE wonders why they've got no stars anymore.
It would have been a big deal to see who would win out of their top guy of the past decade, and the guy on the 1 year winning streak (or at least not pinned or submitted). The Fast Lane match, plus their encounter on Raw just made it all too obvious who was going to win.
If Rusev got a clean win over Cena at WM? I'd be legitimate shocked, and pleasantly surprised.

I follow WWE Creative Humor ‏(@WWECreative_ish) that tweets the funniest stuff during the shows. Here are some of their gems today-

"WrestleMania is the magical day of the year where fans around the world gather in front of their TVs to bitch about wrestling"

"We will continue to move matches to the preshow until you start cheering for @WWERomanReigns"

"The winner of the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal will headline next year's WrestleMania...preshow"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #923 on: March 29, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
So, I just read that Cena apparently lost by submission to Rusev at that Fast Lane PPV?  See, this just shows how clueless they are.  The first time Cena ever loses by submission, and it happened at a transitional PPV. :lol :lol :lol

You don't have to pay for it to watch it tonight. :lol

Lol, I am aware.  I might try to find a stream online at some point, but there's nothing this year that I really want to see.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #924 on: March 29, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »
So, I just read that Cena apparently lost by submission to Rusev at that Fast Lane PPV?  See, this just shows how clueless they are.  The first time Cena ever loses by submission, and it happened at a transitional PPV. :lol :lol :lol
They gave him the treatment Swagger had back in the Summer and Cena 'passed out' rather than tapped out.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #925 on: March 29, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »

Even though the card is slightly underwhelming, you're all are still watching it tonight.  You wouldn't have posted in this thread otherwise.   

You are incorrect.  I haven't paid for a PPV since the early 90s.   I will not be watching.

Yet you still regularly visit and comment in the only wrestling thread on the board that you're an elder of?  And haven't watched a WWE PPV in over 20 years?  Strange.....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: March 29, 2015, 02:21:45 PM »

They had Rusev cheat and kick Cena in the balls and then Cena passed out during the submission, he didn't tap. Typical half-assed screwjob finish to protect both wrestler's reputations. At least that's what they think they're doing. Very clueless indeed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #927 on: March 29, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »

They had Rusev cheat and kick Cena in the balls and then Cena passed out during the submission, he didn't tap. Typical half-assed screwjob finish to protect both wrestler's reputations. At least that's what they think they're doing. Very clueless indeed.

Ah.

Yet you still regularly visit and comment in the only wrestling thread on the board that you're an elder of?  And haven't watched a WWE PPV in over 20 years?  Strange.....

I said I haven't paid for a PPV since the early 90s. I think WM 7 or 8 was the last one I paid for.  SummerSlam '88 was the first I talked my parents into paying for back in the day.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #928 on: March 29, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »
I think you read me wrong.  I said "you're all watching tonight".  You responded by saying I was incorrect and that you hadn't paid for a PPV since the early 90's. 

So are you saying you're not watching tonight because you don't pay for PPV's?  Or because you haven't watched one in over 20 years?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #929 on: March 29, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »
JHC, what's with the semantics game? :lol :lol

I AM NOT WATCHING TONIGHT.

I NEVER said I haven't watched one in over 20 years.

Reading is fundamental.

Is that clear enough??

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #930 on: March 29, 2015, 02:50:09 PM »
Plus this is a Pro Wrestling thread! There's other promotions!
Speaking of other promotions, Ring of Honor just lost Tommaso Ciampa to the wild. Hoping WWE pick him up because Ciampa is a special talent.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: March 29, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »
Plus this is a Pro Wrestling thread! There's other promotions!
Speaking of other promotions, Ring of Honor just lost Tommaso Ciampa to the wild. Hoping WWE pick him up because Ciampa is a special talent.

If he's a special talent, I'd hope for WWE not to get their hands on him. :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #932 on: March 29, 2015, 04:20:59 PM »
Whoever put those video packages together deserves a raise. I'm watching the pre-show and the videos that summarize  the "build" to mania are better than the actual build.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: March 29, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »
I guess two months of time gives them just enough video to work with for the montage. And I'm out for now. I won't be seeing Wrestlemania until a few hours after it airs, so I don't want any spoilers.

And to the OP, please don't edit the thread title with any WM spoilers! I want to be able to browse GD safely.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #934 on: March 29, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »
Its cool to have the day to night transition again. Always thought that was pretty cool.

Or maybe not, I'm bad with time zones
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:21:52 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #935 on: March 29, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »
THAT FINISH TO ROLLINS/ORTON HOLY HELL

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #936 on: March 29, 2015, 06:00:20 PM »
I'm marking out

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #937 on: March 29, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »
Triple H's entrance was pure cheese, but it was still pretty cool.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #938 on: March 29, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »
Triple H's entrance was pure cheese, but it was still pretty cool.

would have looked MUCH better if they werent in a sunny outdoor arena. That entrance was begging for dark lighting.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #939 on: March 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM »
JHC, what's with the semantics game? :lol :lol

I AM NOT WATCHING TONIGHT.

I NEVER said I haven't watched one in over 20 years.

Reading is fundamental.

Is that clear enough??

Hence why I think it's strange that you frequent a WWE thread.  Oh well.

Missing out though.  Fantastic show so far

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #940 on: March 29, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
Worst match was Taker/Bray but that was probably to do with some of the issues that surround them both.
Like a sprained ankle for Bray and an old broken body for Taker.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #941 on: March 29, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
I'd still give it a 7.5/10.  Bray told a good story

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #942 on: March 29, 2015, 09:00:46 PM »
That was a sweet Wrestlemania, i really enjoyed it.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #943 on: March 29, 2015, 09:01:54 PM »
One of the best main events I've ever seen.  I NEVER thought I'd say it.  Absolutely BRILLIANT booking. 

I give WM31 9/10

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: March 29, 2015, 09:03:56 PM »
We're talking about Reigns/Lesnar?
Sincerely,
Jaffa