Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203862 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - NXT > WWE
« Reply #805 on: February 27, 2015, 12:21:26 PM »
Random Friday thoughts.

Undertaker. I think like it other sports (or real sports), it is hard to quantify a person's impact in numbers, or stats. Sometimes their greatness transcends whatever the sum of their career parts is. It is hard to explain why Undertaker is so great, but it is hard to argue that he isn't. Yes, greatest gimmick ever. But he was able to change over time, and not outlive his schtick. He was also somehow able to make it cool to come out to a Fred Durst song.  And he commanded and earned the respect of the locker room and the brass. I normally hate when wrestlers take 5 minutes getting to the ring, but seeing an Undertaker WM entrance in person is something that will go unfulfilled on my bucket list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI5YDqkrbkc

Commentators. How has Michael Cole been the play-by-play guy for so long? He isn't bad, he is just... well, there. Now he is along side JBL and Booker T? Listening to a match called by JR had a quality to it, like the Undertaker, that you can't describe. He made the average match sound great, and the great match sound epic. I grew up listening to Monsoon and Heenan, Jesse the Body and Lord Alfred Hayes, Tony Schiovone, and even Vince call matches. They all had their gifts and drawbacks, but they all brought something special to the mic. Cole and company don't. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:41:36 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #806 on: February 27, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »
I don't mind cole, For me its the combination of JBL and Cole thats terrible. The commentary for fast lane was especially bad.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #807 on: February 27, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
I can't stand JBL on commentary. I loved when he broke character and returned to his APA gimmick a few weeks ago. I miss that.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #808 on: February 27, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »
JBL is god awful on commentary. Cole is just satisfactory and King is no where near what he used to be.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #809 on: February 27, 2015, 01:17:42 PM »
Was King ever really that great? He's been pretty annoying to me ever since I started watching WWE full time in 2001, and I don't think he was much different before that. He just isn't perverted anymore because PG.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: February 27, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »
Not a fan of any of the current announcers. JBL is brutal.

Nothing will ever beat the team of Gorilla/Brain for me

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #811 on: February 27, 2015, 02:17:42 PM »
Gorilla/Brain was legendary. I also loved jesse as well.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: February 27, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »
"It's Pandemonium Brain!!!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #813 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
Monsoon/Heenan was by far the best, yes, and Vince and Jesse were damn good as well, mainly because Ventura was such a great heel announcer, and those two argued well.  It was always great, too, when Monsoon and Ventura did PPVs together.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #814 on: February 27, 2015, 04:22:58 PM »
JR. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #815 on: February 28, 2015, 03:59:47 AM »
I guess it's just that I grew up in the South, so our main wrestling was the NWA/Mid-Atlantic Wrestling, but I always thought Monsoon was hokey as hell.  But Heenan had a certain charm.

Tony Schiavone was great, especially in the earlier days.  As the NWA eventually became WCW and the Monday Night Wars started, he became more of a tool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #816 on: February 28, 2015, 04:58:45 AM »
Was King ever really that great? He's been pretty annoying to me ever since I started watching WWE full time in 2001, and I don't think he was much different before that. He just isn't perverted anymore because PG.

True. He always just gave crass comments about the women, and now that they're PG, he hardly does anything at all. He's basically redundant. A 3 man announcer is a terrible idea, and there's no point to it. JBL is also awful, just automatically defaulting to obvious heel cliches. Michael Cole has never been great, but he used to be ok. Now he's just a dead husk of a human being spouting Twitter advertisements to earn his paycheck.

It's never been the same without JR. He enhances every match, and I always appreciate watching old matches for that reason. WWE really has no appreciation or respect for that role, or many other roles that they'll just give to whoever they've got hanging around *cough*Booker T*cough*
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #817 on: February 28, 2015, 07:00:43 AM »

True. He always just gave crass comments about the women, and now that they're PG, he hardly does anything at all. He's basically redundant. A 3 man announcer is a terrible idea, and there's no point to it. JBL is also awful, just automatically defaulting to obvious heel cliches. Michael Cole has never been great, but he used to be ok. Now he's just a dead husk of a human being spouting Twitter advertisements to earn his paycheck.

It's never been the same without JR. He enhances every match, and I always appreciate watching old matches for that reason. WWE really has no appreciation or respect for that role, or many other roles that they'll just give to whoever they've got hanging around *cough*Booker T*cough*

It also doesn't help that they have vince in their ear all night directing their commentary.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #818 on: March 02, 2015, 08:01:41 PM »
This Jon Stewart stuff reminds me of WCW and MadTV.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #819 on: March 02, 2015, 08:14:11 PM »
if this was wcw stewart would have been in an actual match and ended up with a title.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #820 on: March 03, 2015, 08:34:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDs37KO5m_I&

Paul Heyman is a legend, Paul Heyman is a god!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: March 04, 2015, 12:47:09 AM »
Yep, Heyman is the best thing they have on the mic right now and it's no contest. Everything that comes out of that man's mouth is pure gold, and his Raw promo this week was amazing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #822 on: March 04, 2015, 05:58:19 AM »
In their fake little cardboard show, Heyman is one of the few shreds of what wrestling should be. Engrossing and genuine.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #823 on: March 05, 2015, 04:16:32 PM »
Dude performs classic wrestling moves on his girlfriend into a pool.  Best.  Girlfriend.  Ever.
https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2015/03/wwe-finishers-on-girlfriend/
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #824 on: March 05, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »
I saw that last night.  That took quite a bit of trust, especially to let him do the tombstone piledriver.  Even into water, that could go really wrong.

On family vacations when we were teenagers, my brother, two of our cousins and I would always do the Savage elbow and Hogan leg drop into the deep end.  Good times. :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: March 05, 2015, 04:29:29 PM »
“Guy finishes his girlfriend multiple times in the pool before her sister joins in” sounds like another Brazzers post, but I promise that this video of YouTube personality Joe Weller RKO-ing his girlfriend is as safe for work as you’re going to get with “brutal” and “girl” in the title.

:lol :lol :lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #826 on: March 05, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »
15 or so years ago my brother and I used to do wrestling moves on each other on my brand new bed that was given to me by my grandpa. The bed got pretty fucked up. The mattress had a huge dent in it so much so that I had to put pillows under it to make it somewhat confortable, the box spring legs were bent. We stashed all that behind the huge tree across the street. I wonder if it's all still there. We threw a couch back there too. The weeds made good cover. Anyway, one time I went to do a Rock Bottom, but tripped and pushed him into the corner of the wall. He has a dent in his head to this day. Other times I've nearly killed him by dropping him on his head. It was fun doing choke slams, spears, and suplexes. Pump handle slams were fun as well. Though I almost broke my back one time trying to do a power bomb.

We were stupid kids.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #827 on: March 05, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »
When I was 9 years old, I took a razor's edge on the couch. My friend lost his footing or something and my right knee went through the dry wall. Too this day, my knee is screwed up. Still love wrestling though   :heart

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: March 05, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »
Dude performs classic wrestling moves on his girlfriend into a pool.  Best.  Girlfriend.  Ever.

Very dangerous, but very funny!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #829 on: March 07, 2015, 05:22:55 AM »
I used to do that shit to my daughters on vacation.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #830 on: March 07, 2015, 10:27:38 PM »

That's awesome. Reminds me how we used to do that in the school gym. As well as anywhere in the school actually. Stunners, submission moves (that probably hurt more than those we watched) and the smaller guys received the Lex Luger finisher. Made my best friend power bomb me Kevin Nash-style on the floor at home on a couple of blankets. Ah, 5th grade. Good times. Not very smart, but it was fun.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #831 on: March 08, 2015, 07:05:38 AM »

Lawler worked best with Jim Ross, because they had a certain amount of chemistry where Lawler's wacky horndog act was kept in check by JR's serious professionalism. These days everyone is a shadow of themselves because they're reduced to cliche spouting social media machines. (I can't figure out if I should give WWE credit for being pretty massively ahead of the curve where Twitter is concerned or so annoyed that they're one of the reasons why it's so pervasive in entertainment media today, but that's another rant.)
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #832 on: March 08, 2015, 12:00:59 PM »

That's awesome. Reminds me how we used to do that in the school gym. As well as anywhere in the school actually. Stunners, submission moves (that probably hurt more than those we watched) and the smaller guys received the Lex Luger finisher. Made my best friend power bomb me Kevin Nash-style on the floor at home on a couple of blankets. Ah, 5th grade. Good times. Not very smart, but it was fun.
Did he tear his quad while doing it?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #833 on: March 10, 2015, 05:04:52 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOpJKNlIcos&t

I say again, Paul Heyman is a legend, Paul Heyman is a god!

How am I suppose to NOT cheer for Lesnar after those two promos by Heyman?!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: March 10, 2015, 05:41:56 AM »
Nobody gives a promo like Heyman. The bit about the Montreal screwjob was incredible. :lol

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #835 on: March 10, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
I wonder if he'll get flack for that UFC comment, especially considering recent events.  I doubt he was supposed to say that.  Still....AMAZING promo.  I really don't see how the majority of the WM crowd won't be rooting for Lesnar at this point.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: March 10, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »
I realized something really sad about WM today - three of the biggest matches on the card are pretty much one sided feuds. So much for big stories with buildup at WM.
Undertaker hasn't showed up for his buildup with Wyatt, and it doesn't look like he's going to show up before WM at all. Sting has barely showed up for his buildup with HHH, and I don't think he's even said anything. They've even had to resort to stunt doubles and apparently fake voiceovers. Lesnar barely shows up at the best of times, and when he does, he stands there while Heyman talks up a storm.

They've really messed up booking for Wrestlemania, so I don't have high hopes this year.
They've stuck most of their best wrestlers in a nothing ladder match for the IC title, there's a rematch of Cena vs Rusev that Cena is certain to win, an awful and predictable title match where Roman Reigns will look really strong, yet another HHH stinker with an old has-been, and a wasted Undertaker match against the most overrated guy in the company. And a battle royal for anyone else they didn't care to make matches for.
The only match I have any expectations for at all is the ladder match, and the better it is, the more it will remind me how much talent the WWE is wasting.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #837 on: March 10, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »
I mean....you've got Lesnar and Reigns in the same building.  You're less than 3 weeks out.  They haven't done ANYTHING for this feud together except stare at each other at the studio RAW well over a month ago....why not have them do SOMETHING?  Especially since you're paying Brock a shit load of money to appear. 

The Sting/HHH and Wyatt/Taker matches don't bother me as much because of the mystique around the two protagonists.  We don't need to see Taker again until WM, and I'm willing to bet Sting makes another appearance before the PPV.  I still think they'll be solid 7/10 matches.  I mean, on a technical level, Hogan/Rock at 18 was like a 4/10 match, but it's still my favorite match of all time because of the spectacle and how the story unfolded in ring.  I think there's a bit of that spectacle in these two matches. 

Also, while I totally don't agree with Bryan eventually being in and probably winning the ladder match, I DO like the idea of adding considerably more prestige to the IC title.  Same with the US title.   And he'll definitely do that.  It's just stupid that the guy who headlined and won last year's event is in the IC title picture, through no fault of his own and he's still over as balls. 

But yeah, the crowd is gonna eat the Lesnar/Reigns match alive. 

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #838 on: March 10, 2015, 11:41:53 AM »
I think The IC title ladder match could be a way to restore some value to the belt. Especially if someone like Bryan or even Ambrose wins it, but it would only work if he holds on to it for a long time. The IC title switched hands so damn much that it became less of a title and more of a prop.

Also I Like roman reigns and he can put on a good singles match with the right opponent. I just don't know how he will look with lesnar.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: March 10, 2015, 02:09:57 PM »
The three main events consist of part timers; I guess that can be viewed as a bit of a slap in the face to the guys around year round.  Plus it forces WWE to cram everyone into the battle royal, IC match and likely a tag team 4 way.