Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203825 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
I downloaded that PPV yesterday. Gonna see if I can watch it over the weekend.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - NXT > WWE
« Reply #771 on: February 14, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »
That tag team turmoil on Smackdown was actually pretty good

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #772 on: February 20, 2015, 11:45:50 AM »
Well, this saga between Punk and the WWE has taken an interesting turn now.  Now the doctor is suing him and Cabana for defamation.  I'm just wondering why now rather than roughly three months ago when Punk made those comments.

- It looks like CM Punk will need to get his amazing lawyer ready because he is currently facing a $1 million defamation lawsuit. The Cook County Record reports that WWE in-house physician, Dr. Chris Amann, has filed a lawsuit against former WWE Superstars CM Punk and Colt Cabana after comments made on Colt Cabana’s Art of Wrestling Podcast last November.

Amann says his reputation has suffered as a result of the comments made by Punk. He is reportedly seeking more than $1 million in compensatory damages and an undetermined amount in punitive damages. Cabana is also included in the complaint for helping Punk “falsely depict” Amann.

Amann claims that Punk (real name Phillip Brooks) and Cabana (real name Scott Colton) “knowingly fabricated the false and disparaging statements” about him and that both men knew their comments would be heard by third parties.

In the complaint, Amann also says the statements made by Punk and Cabana “are highly offensive in that they accuse [him] of a gross lack of integrity as a medical doctor, an inability to perform his professional duties as a medical doctor, and in placing the financial interest of his employer above life-threatening health conditions of his patients.”

Phillip J. Zisook and Brian D. Saucier of Deutscy, Levy & Engel out of Chicago, Illinois are representing Amann.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/cm-punk-and-colt-cabana-sued-by-wwe-doctor-over-comments-on-art-of-wrestling-podcast/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:00:15 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #773 on: February 20, 2015, 04:01:29 PM »
I believe Punk. He's smart enough to know that this kind of thing could happen if he told a bunch of lies, so I'm thinking the doctor is just pissed that Punk exposed him for his negligence, and is trying to make some money off him. Hopefully some other wrestlers step up in Punk's defense.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #774 on: February 20, 2015, 05:49:35 PM »
Good luck with that.  I am pretty sure Vince would fire and/or bury just about any wrestler who would testify in court against his doctor and in favor of Punk.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #775 on: February 20, 2015, 06:38:47 PM »
Ex-WWE wrestler?

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #776 on: February 21, 2015, 02:09:49 AM »
Well plus, Punk also has his own doctor's evidence.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #777 on: February 21, 2015, 02:33:41 AM »
Good luck with that.  I am pretty sure Vince would fire and/or bury just about any wrestler who would testify in court against his doctor and in favor of Punk.

He doesn't even let active employees go on JR's podcast, and has buried wrestlers for the most trivial crap. There's zero chance of any current wrestlers backing him up, even if they wanted to.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #778 on: February 21, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
Well according to the statement released today about it, with accompanying video, they've got the gloves off

https://www.24wrestling.com/wwe-statement-video-denying-cm-punks-claims-of-medical-incompetence/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: February 21, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »
If you watch the linked video out of context, it's just strangely homoerotic. :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLmQFx801M

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #780 on: February 22, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »
Kane is teaching me about economics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8xphl-CyvU

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: February 22, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »
He should take that up as his day job. He seemed much better at that than being a WWE entertainer. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #782 on: February 22, 2015, 12:47:35 PM »
Speaking of entertaining, has the Undertaker really been that great?  I mean, take away the streak, which created most of the drama in his great WM matches, and what else is there?  I think it goes without saying that 'Taker is by far Vince's most successful gimmick ever.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: February 22, 2015, 01:00:43 PM »
The Undertaker has had a lot of classic matches, none of which relied on his streak to be entertaining imo. It's such a corny typical early 90s Vince gimmick when you think about it, and any lesser wrestler would have ended up relegated to the same category of Doink the Clown or the Repo Man. For The Undertaker to have endured so long at that level says it all.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: February 22, 2015, 01:09:54 PM »
Honestly, it's amazing to me that someone would ask that question.  Even if you ignore everything about his gimmick (his entrance, his persona, his storylines, his feuds), you're still looking at an impressively large athlete who has always moved amazingly well for his size and who, in my estimation, is capable of telling a story in a match better than just about anyone else in wrestling history.

And I don't know why you would ignore his gimmick.  Granted, he didn't create it himself, but he damn sure made it work, and it led to a decade's worth of compelling storylines and great feuds that improved the careers of other wrestlers around him. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #785 on: February 22, 2015, 01:21:10 PM »
Undertaker has been my favorite since I started watching wrestling.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: February 22, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »
His two WM matches with Michaels and his HITC with Triple H are absolute classics

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #787 on: February 22, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »

I opened that just to see it. It was actually interesting so I watched the whole thing. But damn, that cliffhanger ending!
Also, The Undertaker has always been entertaining no matter how ridiculous his story lines have been- his presentation on and off ring has been spot on and he's just such an iconic figure with great moves that it would be very hard not to be impressed by his craft, even if it's not your cup of tea.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #788 on: February 22, 2015, 03:03:57 PM »

Crap, I may need to free up 75 min. to watch this somewhere in the week.  I could learn a lot more about economics which is something I should do more of as a business major.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #789 on: February 22, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »
I am not saying the Undertaker hasn't been good; he has been.  But he is more gimmick than pure great.  Yes, he moved extremely well for a guy his size, but without the gimmick or streak, he'd be an afterthought.  That is all I am saying.  Mad props to him for taking that gimmick and doing as well as he did with it.   

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: February 22, 2015, 06:34:51 PM »
I guess I just don't have a clue how you define greatness in the wrestling world.  As far as I'm concerned, Undertaker has been great by any measuring stick. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #791 on: February 22, 2015, 06:36:31 PM »
I'm probably just being dumb. :lol :lol

Speaking of dumb, that applies to anyone these days who gives the WWE money for anything, especially in the light of the CM Punk lawsuit.  I have never seen a company shit on their customers as much as the WWE has, only for customers to keep throwing money at them.  I haven't given them money for ANYTHING since 1991.

Offline farsight

« Reply #792 on: February 23, 2015, 12:15:15 AM »
So what happens to Bryan? Back to mid-card I guess?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: February 23, 2015, 05:46:45 AM »
I guess I just don't have a clue how you define greatness in the wrestling world.  As far as I'm concerned, Undertaker has been great by any measuring stick. 

Agreed. That gimmick only succeeded because the Undertaker was great enough to make it work. That gimmick would have buried anyone else's career. He moved like nobody else his size can, did a lot of big impressive moves, had many all time great matches, he had the presence, the look. It's a shame his last WM match was so bad, and it looks like this year's will be equally bad. Hopefully he has one more match in him next year in his home town against someone good so he can go out on a high.

And Fast Lane sucked huge balls.

The Rollins/Ziggler tag match had a super lame finish, with Big Show laying out Ziggler to job, and Rollins doing nothing. Orton was like the icing on the shit sandwich. What a waste of talent. It was like an encore of everything that was wrong with the Rumble. They haven't learned a thing.

The Goldust/Stardust match was another lame one. The ref missing a proper 3 count is your finish? Lame. Rematch at Wrestlemania.

The tag title match was ok. Good outcome, some good moves. Nothing we haven't seen 100 times this year though.

The HHH/Sting promo stunk. 5 minutes of promos rehashing HHH talking and Sting doing nothing, followed by 15 minutes of HHH talking and Sting doing nothing. And then more pointing at the WM sign. Lame as shit setup for a match everyone knew was happening anyway.

The Divas match was another lame one. Paige loses to a rollup pin with a hand full of tights that wasn't actually a hand full of tights. Rematch at Wrestlemania.

Ambrose vs Barret? Lame! A lame DQ for something that is never enforced or an issue. Rematch at Wrestlemania? Probably.

Obviously the Undertaker wasn't coming out, so that cocktease intro was obviously going to be Wyatt. Lame Wyatt promo setting up the match I was hoping wouldn't happen. That match is going to stink. What a waste of Undertaker's one match a year.

The Rusev match was ok, and the finish was great, except it means Cena is obviously winning the obligatory rematch at Wrestlemania. Lame. Rusev beating Cena should have been the WM match, not Rusev losing his streak to Cena.

Reigns / Bryan was an ok match, but Bryan was so aggressive and dominant for the whole match that it was obvious Reigns was going to win. We knew that going in though. But it actually did nothing to help Reigns look strong for facing Brock.
There was a point near the end where both guys were on the ground being counted, and Bryan had his leg over Reigns, so if they intended to get Bryan into the title match as a triple threat, I guess that would be their backdoor, because often that would be considered a pin.

On paper this looked like an ok PPV, with lots of potentially good matches, but they screwjobbed everything. Lame/10.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:51:52 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #794 on: February 23, 2015, 07:17:39 AM »
Yeah I noticed the leg thing too.  That was a total pin. 

Loved the Wyatt promo and I think that match will be a lot stronger than you think.  Cena/Rusev was MUCH better than I thought it would be, probably becuase both guys did a helluva job selling.

Bryan/Reigns was pretty good.  No clue where they're gonna put Bryan at this point, but a mid-card match with Ziggler or Sheamus just seems awkward.

Yeah I'm not sure I've ever watched a PPV with THAT many botched endings. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: February 23, 2015, 07:52:14 AM »
Wyatt has yet to put on a single good match outside of Bryan imo, and that match was 100% Bryan. The Undertaker is great, but he really needs to work with someone who can construct the match with him. Put Undertaker with Wyatt, and it's going to be a bore. It will be 20 minutes of strikes and running clotheslines.

I had really high hopes for Cena/Rusev, because this was Rusev's first real test. Cena is the only non jobber Rusev has gone against in the year since he joined the WWE roster. It was definitely Rusev's best match to date, and Cena helped make him look good, but I was hoping to see a bit more range from Rusev. Hopefully the Wrestlemania rematch steps it up. The match was fine, but I was hoping to be surprised.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #796 on: February 23, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »
I saw Wyatt/Ambrose a few weeks back at a house show.  They were given around 30 min and it was easily the best match I saw between the two.  I think Wyatt has a big future with the company.  He's much better than you give him credit for :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: February 23, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »
Luke Harper has already impressed me a lot more with his very short time as a singles wrestler than Wyatt has over the past year. They can keep hyping and talking up Wyatt all they want, but he's yet to deliver the goods imo. I doubt he's ever going to live up to what they want him to be. I'm always open to change my mind on that, and this WM is a prime opportunity for that.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #798 on: February 23, 2015, 08:53:28 AM »
They did fool me though.  I honestly thought it was gonna be Taker coming out to respond to Wyatt's promos.....until I saw the casket

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #799 on: February 23, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »
I saw Wyatt/Ambrose a few weeks back at a house show.  They were given around 30 min and it was easily the best match I saw between the two.  I think Wyatt has a big future with the company.  He's much better than you give him credit for :)

Thats because at the house shows they get a lot more freedom to do what they want. Vince has the main show so tightly scripted it can be hard for the talent to shine in the few minutes the're given most of the time.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: February 23, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »

Thats because at the house shows they get a lot more freedom to do what they want. Vince has the main show so tightly scripted it can be hard for the talent to shine in the few minutes the're given most of the time.

Agreed. You can see some terrific matches at the house shows.

I enjoyed Fast Lane a lot more than I thought I would. The Tag Team Title match was spectacular, and I'm thrilled that Kidd & Cesaro are the new champions.  Cena and Rusev was everything I hoped it would be, and opens the door for a submission match at Mania. Dean and Wade wasn't great, and I'm not a huge fan of Ambrose magically forgetting his  issues with Rollins and Wyatt to chase this title, but it's a case of WWE having more faces than creative knows what to do with. Bryan vs. Reigns was good, and I'm happy with the finish.

Wyatt vs. Undertaker is intriguing from a promo standpoint, but Bray is absolutely the wrong type of opponent for the Undertaker at this stage of his career. If you thought Brock/Taker was painful, stay tuned.

All in all, expectations should have been low on Fast Lane, and honestly, this wouldn't have been a show that I would have dropped 50 bucks for. But since I had the network, I watched it, and overall I'm glad that I did.

But NXT is still absolutely killing it :)

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #801 on: February 23, 2015, 10:39:55 AM »
I'd LOVE to see Ambrose/Bryan.  Their indy matches were awesome

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #802 on: February 23, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
That sledgehammer sure did bounce high when HHH dropped it. They should really add some weight to it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #803 on: February 23, 2015, 03:21:16 PM »
Oh my.  :lol :lol I am pretty sure a sledgehammer should not bounce at all. :rollin :rollin

Anyway, most reviews I have read said last night stunk, which is no surprise.  Their booking has been god-awful for a while now, and expecting them to turn it around at a PPV that is bottom of the barrel wasn't realistic.

As for Wyatt, I am not sold on him either, but his fans can't say he isn't be given major opportunities.  Cena and Undertaker at back-to-back is more than anything could ask for.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #804 on: February 23, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »
I could never really get behind The Undertaker, although when I started watching WWE, it was when he was doing the American Badass gimmick. But knowing what his gimmick was before, and him doing something so drastically different, it just takes away the whole aesthetic. The fact that he went from an "undead guy" to a normal biker and back to an undead guy AND made it work is incredible though. Someone similar would be Mick Foley. He constantly breaks the fourth wall/kayfabe jumping in and out of his gimmicks, but somehow makes it work and the fans are still behind that. I just can't get behind it. When I see The Undertaker, I just think, why is he acting like that when he was just fine before driving around on a motorcycle?