Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203593 times)

Offline Bruinsfan25

Ok, so I never post here but I felt like I had to bring up a few things: Curtis Axel never got eliminated, I'd rather have him win than Reigns; Why not have Bubba Ray and D-von (assuming you could sign them both) attack the Ascension so we can maybe add another tag to the awful tag division instead of Miz and Mizdow vs the Usos every week? Why wasn't Randy Orton brought in to either the Rumble or the triple threat match to add something? Not that the title match really needed anything, I thought it was fantastic. Just my two cents.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Ok, so I never post here but I felt like I had to bring up a few things: Curtis Axel never got eliminated, I'd rather have him win than Reigns; Why not have Bubba Ray and D-von (assuming you could sign them both) attack the Ascension so we can maybe add another tag to the awful tag division instead of Miz and Mizdow vs the Usos every week? Why wasn't Randy Orton brought in to either the Rumble or the triple threat match to add something? Not that the title match really needed anything, I thought it was fantastic. Just my two cents.

I've recently watched every single Rumble from 1997 onwards (and some of the ones before that), and it's very common for someone to be taken out so someone could take their place, and it's never been an issue. It's pro wrestling, so the rules are whatever they want them to be. :lol

There have been times when wrestlers have been eliminated by non participants, and it didn't count as an elimination. In more recent times, it does count. There have been cases where people have left the match without technically being eliminated, and it's been ignored. Sometimes they come back later on. The "both feet touching the floor" rule was never even a thing until the year Michaels decided to pull the hanging on trick.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bruinsfan25

I've recently watched every single Rumble from 1997 onwards (and some of the ones before that), and it's very common for someone to be taken out so someone could take their place, and it's never been an issue. It's pro wrestling, so the rules are whatever they want them to be. :lol

There have been times when wrestlers have been eliminated by non participants, and it didn't count as an elimination. In more recent times, it does count. There have been cases where people have left the match without technically being eliminated, and it's been ignored. Sometimes they come back later on. The "both feet touching the floor" rule was never even a thing until the year Michaels decided to pull the hanging on trick.

I know it's happened in past Rumbles, just pointing out that I'd rather not have 2 months of terrible Reigns promos. I think it'd be hilarious for Curtis Axel to try and use not having been eliminated to draw some heat, although we all know that it won't happen.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know it's happened in past Rumbles, just pointing out that I'd rather not have 2 months of terrible Reigns promos. I think it'd be hilarious for Curtis Axel to try and use not having been eliminated to draw some heat, although we all know that it won't happen.

Oh yeah, that would be hilarious to see. :lol But they wouldn't have even acknowledged his existence but for needing a throwaway spot for Rowan to take over.

Hopefully the response at the Rumble is the turning point for Reigns being over, and may lead to them changing their plans again.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
We need to bring attention to this issue! #Axelgate, get it trending!

I did noticed that and was hoping that it would somehow turn into a swerve for Bryan to come back in.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Think the Rock was stunned by him and Reigns getting booed last night?

It shows how awful the Rumble must have been when even the Rock gets booed. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
I feel the need to say: I like Roman, from what I've seen in pictures and read he seems like a nice guy and a devoted father. I loved Roman in The Shield, he was without a doubt the best hot tag in the business during that time and I believe that when The Shield and the Wyatts where staring down each other in the ring it would not have felt the same if Roman hadn't been the guy in the middle.

But we ALL can see that he's not ready! He fumbles and forgets lines constantly in promos ("sufferin' succotash, son!" not withstanding which by the way, that seriously must've been a Jericho promo from 2001 they had lying around) and he doesn't even have 4 moves of doom, much less five. As much as the IWC loves to criticize Cena (fairly and unfairly) you put Cena with a quality opponent and and he will give you a great fucking match! (Punk/MitB 2011, Bryan/SS13, Edge, last night's 3-way) which is not the case with Reigns right now. Not even Cesaro could get a great match out of him!! And Vinny Mac has the gall to say in that Austin podcast that the fans tell him what to do! And he has the stupidity and arrogance to actually let his chosen "next big thing" win in front of a smart crowd! :lol 
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
I feel the need to say: I like Roman, from what I've seen in pictures and read he seems like a nice guy and a devoted father. I loved Roman in The Shield, he was without a doubt the best hot tag in the business during that time and I believe that when The Shield and the Wyatts where staring down each other in the ring it would not have felt the same if Roman hadn't been the guy in the middle.

But we ALL can see that he's not ready! He fumbles and forgets lines constantly in promos ("sufferin' succotash, son!" not withstanding which by the way, that seriously must've been a Jericho promo from 2001 they had lying around) and he doesn't even have 4 moves of doom, much less five. As much as the IWC loves to criticize Cena (fairly and unfairly) you put Cena with a quality opponent and and he will give you a great fucking match! (Punk/MitB 2011, Bryan/SS13, Edge, last night's 3-way) which is not the case with Reigns right now. Not even Cesaro could get a great match out of him!! And Vinny Mac has the gall to say in that Austin podcast that the fans tell him what to do! And he has the stupidity and arrogance to actually let his chosen "next big thing" win in front of a smart crowd! :lol

I'm with you. I don't have any ill will towards Roman whatsoever. My beef's with creative, or lack therof. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Overall, I like reigns and think he's got potential, but he is no where near ready for this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Right, it's not his fault that Vince is pushing him too hard too fast. 

Interesting that they are showing the Rumble for free on RAW tonight.  Bryan just got eliminated, and the gasp from the crowd was deafening.  Getting ready for some boos. :lol :lol

Offline ozzy554

Right, it's not his fault that Vince is pushing him too hard too fast. 

Interesting that they are showing the Rumble for free on RAW tonight.  Bryan just got eliminated, and the gasp from the crowd was deafening.  Getting ready for some boos. :lol :lol

I feel the same way. This is another of many questionable and or baffling creative decisions by Vince lately.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's nothing against Reigns personally, and some people have incorrectly tried to argue that fans are fickle for cheering him in the Rumble last year, then booing him this year. But that completely misses the point.

People cheered Reigns last year, because he was the last alternative to the guy they were trying to obviously ram down our throats as the returning good guy last year, Batista. And The Shield was very over at the time, despite being a heel faction, and it would have been a pleasant surprise to see someone like that win it. But he still wouldn't have been ready for a push.

Fast forward a year, and the Shield have split up, and Reigns has had a total of one singles match against Orton before getting injured, and it sucked. He's clearly not ready for a 20-30 minute singles match. On top of that, since returning he has had a string of embarrassingly bad promos that have shown that he's not ready on the mic either, and have been a major WTF.
In the meantime, Ambrose and Rollins have worked their asses off and become potential stars, good on the mic, good in the ring, and get a response from the crowd. But from the moment The Shield split up, the plan was always for Reigns to be the next top guy, and they've stuck to it despite him being out with injuries for the better part of the year, and despite his total lack of progress in any regard. This is the sign of a company that doesn't adapt or evolve or listen to fans. They live in a bubble. They made up their minds at the time, and they haven't taken note of what's happened since.
And they've shunned Bryan with the excuse that he's not a top guy due to getting injured. Because their biggest star of all time Steve Austin was never out for the same amount of time with a career threatening neck injury. HHH was never out twice for a quad injury. Nope, top guys don't get injuries.
You'd have to be allergic to making money to overlook the most over guy in the company in the past decade, especially when their chosen top guy of the past decade, Cena, hasn't been without boos for the better part of that time. It was unanimous booing at the Rumble match, too.

And the RR match had a ton of deserving people get treated like total crap to make Reigns look as good as possible. Bryan gets booted out as early as possible because they knew the fans wouldn't be happy about it, yet they did it anyway. Ziggler gets the #30 spot, not to give him a good opportunity in the final moments of the Rumble, but to give him as little time as possible in the ring, and for him to get tossed out two minutes later literally like a piece of garbage by Big Show and Kane, same with Wyatt (even though I think nothing of him, but at least he got a good run), and Cesaro. It's frustrating as a fan to see the company time and time again overlook so many talented guys that the fans love, all because WWE doesn't care who the fans like, they want to continue to try to tell us who we like, and treat potential moneymakers like crap because of petty personal vendettas. This is not what's "best for business" at all.

People turned on this Rumble not just because the wrong guy won, but because the rest of the Rumble match suffered so greatly and obviously to make it happen. It was entirely booked knowing the fans wouldn't be happy about any of it, and trying to minimize the damage so they could stubbornly stick to what they wanted, instead of what the fans wanted. That doesn't mean you always have to give the fans exactly what they want by any means, but at least don't spit in their faces in the process. Bryan's WM win was all the sweeter for fans last year because he had to fight for it, instead of just instantly making him champion like fans wanted. WWE were lucky they managed to turn that around, but they should always have a greater plan that takes into account what the fans want to see.
This Rumble insulted the intelligence of the fans by thinking we'd have the memory span of a goldfish after Bryan's elimination, and cheer once they dangled their chosen one in front of us. Then as damage control, they thought they could simply transfer The Rock's heat onto Roman Reigns just because they get buddy buddy in the ring. How easily manipulated do they think the fans are?

They brought this on themselves two years in a row by not respecting their audience, resulting in twice the RR match has been a trainwreck to the point of being newsworthy. This is not good publicity for WWE, and like last year, they'll need to do better to avoid a disaster at WM.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:19:17 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
I'm going to say, the sitdown interviews on Raw were very good, and I though that aspect of Raw was a good cover for the fact they couldn't host a show due to the travel ban in CT.

Plus Ambrose walked from Philly to there in kayfabe and that's incredible.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
They were actually lucky to have this buffer week after the Rumble. I thought they did a decent job of trying to address the fans' concerns head on without sugar coating it. Reigns spoke about the fan response, although taking the Cena approach isn't going to work for him any better than it has for Cena. Cena handles that stuff like only a pro can.

Bryan's interview was excellent, and didn't feel scripted, and really spoke directly to what the fans are thinking. It actually makes it feel like they have plans for Bryan in the long term after all. I think it would feel too forced and repetitive to try and shoehorn him in to WM as champion, but after that, they better do something with him.

Brock was solid, and Heyman was gold as usual. They better keep that man around after Brock leaves. Have Rollins cash in the briefcase in WM, Heyman can be his new manager, and have Reigns and Bryan chasing the title all year.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
Rollins has been the best damn heel in the company since The Shield broke up. He can handle the mic and is a god in the ring (granted, I'm a bit biased towards him), he has EARN, more than anyone else, a title run!

I've been actually surprise with Ambrose's babyface run in that it has worked. He's still kinda weird to watch in the ring, but I guess that's part of the character. Anyway, when he finally goes heel it's gonna be delicious!

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
Ambrose's promo last night was brilliant.  He's so good. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
It's nothing against Reigns personally, and some people have incorrectly tried to argue that fans are fickle for cheering him in the Rumble last year, then booing him this year. But that completely misses the point.

People cheered Reigns last year, because he was the last alternative to the guy they were trying to obviously ram down our throats as the returning good guy last year, Batista. And The Shield was very over at the time, despite being a heel faction, and it would have been a pleasant surprise to see someone like that win it. But he still wouldn't have been ready for a push.

Fast forward a year, and the Shield have split up, and Reigns has had a total of one singles match against Orton before getting injured, and it sucked. He's clearly not ready for a 20-30 minute singles match. On top of that, since returning he has had a string of embarrassingly bad promos that have shown that he's not ready on the mic either, and have been a major WTF.
In the meantime, Ambrose and Rollins have worked their asses off and become potential stars, good on the mic, good in the ring, and get a response from the crowd. But from the moment The Shield split up, the plan was always for Reigns to be the next top guy, and they've stuck to it despite him being out with injuries for the better part of the year, and despite his total lack of progress in any regard. This is the sign of a company that doesn't adapt or evolve or listen to fans. They live in a bubble. They made up their minds at the time, and they haven't taken note of what's happened since.
And they've shunned Bryan with the excuse that he's not a top guy due to getting injured. Because their biggest star of all time Steve Austin was never out for the same amount of time with a career threatening neck injury. HHH was never out twice for a quad injury. Nope, top guys don't get injuries.
You'd have to be allergic to making money to overlook the most over guy in the company in the past decade, especially when their chosen top guy of the past decade, Cena, hasn't been without boos for the better part of that time. It was unanimous booing at the Rumble match, too.

And the RR match had a ton of deserving people get treated like total crap to make Reigns look as good as possible. Bryan gets booted out as early as possible because they knew the fans wouldn't be happy about it, yet they did it anyway. Ziggler gets the #30 spot, not to give him a good opportunity in the final moments of the Rumble, but to give him as little time as possible in the ring, and for him to get tossed out two minutes later literally like a piece of garbage by Big Show and Kane, same with Wyatt (even though I think nothing of him, but at least he got a good run), and Cesaro. It's frustrating as a fan to see the company time and time again overlook so many talented guys that the fans love, all because WWE doesn't care who the fans like, they want to continue to try to tell us who we like, and treat potential moneymakers like crap because of petty personal vendettas. This is not what's "best for business" at all.

People turned on this Rumble not just because the wrong guy won, but because the rest of the Rumble match suffered so greatly and obviously to make it happen. It was entirely booked knowing the fans wouldn't be happy about any of it, and trying to minimize the damage so they could stubbornly stick to what they wanted, instead of what the fans wanted. That doesn't mean you always have to give the fans exactly what they want by any means, but at least don't spit in their faces in the process. Bryan's WM win was all the sweeter for fans last year because he had to fight for it, instead of just instantly making him champion like fans wanted. WWE were lucky they managed to turn that around, but they should always have a greater plan that takes into account what the fans want to see.
This Rumble insulted the intelligence of the fans by thinking we'd have the memory span of a goldfish after Bryan's elimination, and cheer once they dangled their chosen one in front of us. Then as damage control, they thought they could simply transfer The Rock's heat onto Roman Reigns just because they get buddy buddy in the ring. How easily manipulated do they think the fans are?

They brought this on themselves two years in a row by not respecting their audience, resulting in twice the RR match has been a trainwreck to the point of being newsworthy. This is not good publicity for WWE, and like last year, they'll need to do better to avoid a disaster at WM.

I just wanted to say that this is spot on and perfect...... might end up stealing it.

Offline Marion Crane

Miz and Mizdow should have been 1 and 2.  Without a doubt.  I've been seeing that coming for months.  Also, if you have Orton backstage and dressed to wrestle, why not have him enter the Rumble, especially right after DDP did the Diamond Cutter to like 5 dudes.  Same with Bo Dallas.  Feed him to Wyatt instead of Sin Cara.  Everyone would have marked out.  Missed opportunities there.

But yeah Blob, you're spot on. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Miz and R-Truth, two guys who are such afterthoughts, being 1 and 2 was laughable.  The Rumble needs to start with some excitement, not two bozos who lack the ability to excite fans (other than Truth's stupid "What's up?" chant).

Having fan favorites like Ambrose, Ziggler and even Wyatt just tossed out of the ring like they were trash was such awful writing.  Obviously, the point was to make Reigns look even better by overcoming the two guys who were eliminating the others with such ease, but it failed miserably.  It looked like sophomoric writing.

I get why they brought Bryan back for the Rumble; his presence alone probably resulted in more buys, but bringing him back to have eliminated like that did nothing but piss most fans off.  Him not winning could have worked had they done it right, but they seemingly did everything wrong.

Oh, and you can tell Bryan is being a lot more careful.  When he does that running dropkick, where he runs from one corner to the other, he is landing a lot more safely now, turning on his way down so he doesn't land on his back or neck.  I wonder if he'll still do that missile dropkick off the top rope, a move that is nearly impossible to do without landing on your back. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
As gimmicky as it is, I have to admit that I really enjoy Mizdow.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
As gimmicky as it is, I have to admit that I really enjoy Mizdow.

I think it may have saved his career.  He's doing great with the gimmick

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
Yeah, Mizdow is great! Making chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just wanted to say that this is spot on and perfect...... might end up stealing it.

Go right ahead.

I've watched a lot of Rumbles lately, and the first two spots are really important to setting the tone of the Rumble. I was expecting them to go with either Bryan or Ziggler in the opening spot.

Starting with Bryan would have started off with a bang, and I knew they were going to get him out of the way as possible. But they didn't want to establish the guy who goes on a good run and lasts a while, and they didn't want Bryan to establish that momentum and get the crowd onside uncontested from the start. They figured the longer he's in, the more disappointed fans will be when he gets eliminated. All it did was make it more obvious early on that Reigns was the winner.

Ziggler would also have been a great choice, because they seem to have valued Ziggler lately in the opening spot to get the crowd pumped, and it would have fit perfectly with the storyline of the Authority punishing him for helping team Cena at Survivor Series. But again, he would have gained too much support from the crowd. The #30 spot was a poor choice though, because when you put a guy that popular in that late, there's no way you can expect them to get on board with Reigns.

They didn't allow anyone else to look good, because it was the only way they could push Reigns, and the only time they let anyone look strong was so Reigns looked even stronger by defeating them. They weren't just pushing Reigns, they buried everyone else in the process. They can't multitask, and think about more than one guy at a time, which is how they've managed to paint themselves into a corner and end up with no main eventers in their title scene other than Cena and Lesnar.

Offline Marion Crane

I don't know...they made Wyatt look super strong until he was eliminated. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Rumble disaster aside, I think it is important to remember that you don't have to get a "fake" win to be put over.  Wyatt did look strong for most of the Rumble, even if his elimination was similar to that of Ambrose and Ziggler (being tossed out of the ring like trash).  Flair used to put wrestlers over all of the time in the 80s, even when the other guy would lose (or in the case of Sting in '88, battle to a draw).  Hell, even Hogan would often allow himself to be dominated for much of a match before hulking up and winning. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wyatt was I think the only one who got a good run, but I don't think he looked that impressive in doing so, especially with his exit.
Beyond that, they just didn't let anyone look good. They didn't start off with good people who could have a decent run, they didn't let anyone get a lot of eliminations, they only made Big Show and Kane look good to make Reigns look better. But it didn't really help Reigns to have him up against the Rumble's most prolific jobbers, because it was so transparent, and such a typical misguided Vince McMahon thought process.

There have been many Rumbles that were great despite a poor choice of winner. The 40 man Rumble that Del Rio won was actually one of the best ones imo, even though Del Rio is about the least deserving winner in history. But the rest of the Rumble was well thought out, it had a lot of good stories to it, and it was entertaining throughout.
For this Rumble they didn't give the fans a chance to latch onto anyone else, ignoring so much potential to elevate a lot of guys. At least they did a good job with Miz/Mizdow, but those guys were never in competition with Reigns as potential winners. Mizdow did get the biggest pop after Bryan got eliminated though, so maybe they should have gone with him. :P

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
You're all ignoring the best part of the rumble. Cena didn't win.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I would have even preferred Cena to win, but I doubt the crowd would have reacted any better. :lol
The guy was already in the title match (and every other for the past year), so like he needed yet another opportunity!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm hearing buzz about a possible Bryan vs. Ziggler match at Wrestlemania. 

:caffeine:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

So am I. That would be much better than their original plan of sticking Bryan against Sheamus.
Even though it's a throwaway plan that would probably put them in the opening slot with about 7 minutes of ring time, Ziggler vs Bryan would easily steal the show, and remind people that Bryan should be in the title scene (and hey, I'd argue Ziggler too). Put that together with the most disliked WM match since last time Lesnar left the company, and you've got yourself another crowd ready to turn. Crash and burn. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

This would steal the show!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think Ziggler and Bryan could put on the kind of match that would remind disillusioned fans why they used to love wrestling. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think Ziggler and Bryan could put on the kind of match that would remind disillusioned fans why they used to love wrestling. 

It's ok, NJPW and Lucha Underground have already reminded me why I love wrestling. Matches like that really just rub in the fact that WWE wastes so much talent.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
NXT itself rubs that in every week! And it's a WWE product! :lol

Offline ozzy554

NXT itself rubs that in every week! And it's a WWE product! :lol

Thats because HHH is in charge of NXT and vince isn't involved in any way. I've read that Vince doesn't even watch it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?