Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 205161 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - Da Champ is here (again)
« Reply #455 on: August 17, 2014, 11:45:56 AM »
It just has a bad soap opera feel to it, and detracts from the wrestling. Hopefully they drop that part of the angle soon. As you said, the Stephanie / Brie feud didn't need it, and Bryan definitely doesn't need it.

Um, that's every storyline Wrestling has. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #456 on: August 17, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »
It just has a bad soap opera feel to it, and detracts from the wrestling. Hopefully they drop that part of the angle soon. As you said, the Stephanie / Brie feud didn't need it, and Bryan definitely doesn't need it.

Um, that's every storyline Wrestling has. :lol

I know, but I don't want to be reminded of it! :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #457 on: August 17, 2014, 12:01:35 PM »
In 1983 Blob, I saw Sunka and the  Samoan Brothers team up against nobodys.  Freddie Blassie was there as well as, gosh gee willickers bob Backlund in a skating rink.  Ah the days of the WWE when it only aired Saturday mornings.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - TEAM PART TIME - EAT, SLEEP, WIN THE TITLE, REPEAT
« Reply #458 on: August 17, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
Katie Vick. /worststorylineever

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #459 on: August 17, 2014, 07:41:10 PM »
Steph looks smoking hot!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: August 17, 2014, 07:51:10 PM »
Steph looks smoking hot!

I ain't mad.

Also, Paige and AJ had a great match!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: August 17, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
Brock Lesnar......
Debuted on the main roster in April of 2002.
Won the 2002 King of the Ring
Won the WWE Undisputed Championship at SummerSlam 2002 by beating the Rock.
Won the 2003 Royal Rumble
Won the WWE Championship in the Main Event of his first ever Wrestlemania by beating Kurt Angle
Ended the Undertaker's Wrestlemania Undefeated Streak at Wrestlemania XXX
Won the World Heavyweight Championship by being the first person to Completely dismantle John Cena at SummerSlam 2014.

This might be the best track record in the modern era of professional wrestling

Would rather see a full time guy with the belt, but we'll see how this goes. This could be a huge payoff if they have Brock dominate until WM and drop it to an up and comer like Roman Reigns. Now if Brock just drops it back to Cena at some point, then it's all for naught.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #462 on: August 17, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »
I understand why the match had to be longer, but it would've been a much more impressive win if that first F5 would've ended the match!

Talk about "conquering!"
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #463 on: August 18, 2014, 12:41:31 AM »
So it was a good match? Cena\Punk quality?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #464 on: August 18, 2014, 07:41:22 AM »
The match told the story it wanted to tell really well, which was "Brock Lesnar is gonna beat the ever loving shit out of you". It was really a squash match, with Cena getting squash.

By the way, I can't believe that we got an entertaining lumberjack match! I now want Rollins and Ambrose to have a series of dumb gimmick matches and make them entertaining!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: August 18, 2014, 07:45:19 AM »
That was a really enjoyable PPV!

The Miz vs Dolph Ziggler was a strong opener. I hate the Miz because he's terrible at everything, but Ziggler put on a good show, and to my surprise won! Nice way to kick things off. 

AJ Lee vs Paige was an excellent women's match for the 5 whole minutes they gave it. A lot of big moves, and that T-bone DDT was awesome. I'm glad Paige won too.

Jack Swagger vs Rusev was pretty bad. The injured leg thing always is. I really thought Swagger was going to win this one and end the feud, so I was surprised that he lost. I guess that means another month of the same thing. Bleh.

Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins stole the show. Being a lumberjack match, I thought it was going to suck despite the talent, but it actually enhanced the match a lot. It gave it that much more payoff when they were able to leave the ring, and Ambrose did a lot of good dives. I'll be glad to see this continue in future.

Bray Wyatt vs Chris Jericho sucked. Can't say I expected anything else from Wyatt.

Brie Bella vs Stephanie McMahon was just wrong. I shouldn't be surprised that Stephanie made herself look super strong throughout the match given who she's married to, but it made no sense given that she was helped out with Nikki's turn at the end. It should have at least been an even fight until then. Stephanie's outfit looked like it was made by NASA for a superhero movie.

Randy Orton vs Roman Reigns was incredibly boring, and the crowd let them know it. I don't know why they're backing Reigns when he's the weakest member of the former Shield. He's a one trick pony who hasn't evolved one bit since the split, unlike the other two. Same old punches, superman punch and spear.

John Cena vs Brock Lesnar was beautiful to behold. That start with them going at it then the F5 was a pleasant surprise, and Lesnar dominated for the entire match. Those german suplexes looked brutal. John Cena can job like a champ when he has to. I respect that.

By the way, I can't believe that we got an entertaining lumberjack match! I now want Rollins and Ambrose to have a series of dumb gimmick matches and make them entertaining!

It was a first! :lol TLC PPV, ladder match for the briefcase. Make it happen.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #466 on: August 18, 2014, 07:53:49 AM »
I confused.

8 matches ; 4 comments are "pretty bad" + "sucked" + "just wrong" + "incredibly boring"  = "Really enjoyable PPV"??

Just how low are the expectations that the WWE has set?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #467 on: August 18, 2014, 07:57:22 AM »
When you watch a WWE PPV, you're hoping for 2 good matches out of the card, mostly the main ones.

I for one, thought the Orton/Reigns one was enjoyable after they got all the slow start out of the way and had those nice spots. As boring as Randy seems to be: when he's walking to the ring, cutting a promo; there's no denying his ability and his two counters (spear into powerslam and superman punch into RKO) where some of the moves of the night.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #468 on: August 18, 2014, 08:03:24 AM »
I didn't like the main event. But that's mainly because the suplexs got too much and I got bored.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #469 on: August 18, 2014, 08:08:17 AM »
I read a review of the event and the thing that stood out to me the most was this:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: August 18, 2014, 08:08:50 AM »
I confused.

8 matches ; 4 comments are "pretty bad" + "sucked" + "just wrong" + "incredibly boring"  = "Really enjoyable PPV"??

Just how low are the expectations that the WWE has set?

How many PPVs have ever been amazing from start to finish? You're always going to have a combination of lower/mid card wrestlers along with your better guys. Overall I enjoyed the PPV despite some not so good matches.
It also comes down to expectation vs the result. If I expect a match to not be good, and it's not so good, it doesn't really disappoint me. But if I expect a match to be good, and it's not, then that drags it down. Likewise, if I expect a match to be bad, and it ends up being good, then it's exceeded my expectations. It's not always just a sum of its parts. It's an overall package. It started very strong, it ended strong, mixed bag inbetween. I was entertained.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #471 on: August 18, 2014, 08:32:12 AM »
^ Gotchya.  I guess it's been so long since I saw a PPV (geez... gotta be well over 5 years), when I remembered there might be one stinker, or couple of sub-par matches, but the majority was at least decent - with always the chance (and regular occurrence) of an "O-mah-fawkin-gawd!!!" match
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: August 18, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »
It may also be a bit of lower expectation for PPV's these days, but having watched every PPV this year for the first time in a long time, I think it was the best since Wrestlemania.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #473 on: August 18, 2014, 11:49:42 AM »
Lesnar could have done a few powerbombs and slams to change it up a bit. It really didn't have to be a squash match either. Unless of course this is supposed to mirror Superman and Doomsday or something.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #474 on: August 18, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »
Ambrose dousing Rollins in ice water then going "what? It's for charity!" before punching him was just gold! Please never let this feud end!

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #475 on: August 18, 2014, 07:24:03 PM »
Lets introduce the Miz from Hollywood now after introducing him from Cleveland for the past few years surely nobody will notice :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #476 on: August 18, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
That's not that unusual.  I remember when Ted DiBiase was at his height of the Million Dollar Man gimmick.  They would announce where he was from based on where his seasonal residence was. "Making his summer residence in..." :lol :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #477 on: August 18, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »
It's really not unusual at all. Hogan changed his billing when he turned into Hollywood Hogan, so did The Rock when he went "movie star heel", 'Taker when he was Biker Taker, Sting did for a time. And that's just off the top of my head, it's pretty common.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: August 19, 2014, 12:58:25 AM »
Lets introduce the Miz from Hollywood now after introducing him from Cleveland for the past few years surely nobody will notice :lol

There was a period years ago where they were no longer announcing any Canadian wrestlers as actually being from Canada, and instead changed them all to US locations.

Seth Rollins and Ambrose is the best feud of the year. Their match on RAW is the best RAW match in a long time, and you could have stuck that match on Summerslam and it still would have stolen the show. It's just a shame that Kane has to exist. He had no place in that match. He has no place in wrestling at all anymore.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #479 on: August 19, 2014, 04:32:50 AM »
Didn't they use to just introduce every Canadian from Toronto? Which led us to this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o77NwC2TLR8

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #480 on: August 19, 2014, 08:28:23 AM »
Seth Rollins and Ambrose is the best feud of the year. Their match on RAW is the best RAW match in a long time, and you could have stuck that match on Summerslam and it still would have stolen the show. It's just a shame that Kane has to exist. He had no place in that match. He has no place in wrestling at all anymore.
Yeah, his inclusion in their last two matches have been incredibly unnecessary!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: August 19, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »
It's even worse now that he's back to being Corporate Kane. There's nothing threatening about a middle-aged dude with a terrible haircut dressed for a day at the office.

Kane could have just come out and revealed the blocks to skew the match, if anything at all.  The curb stomp through the cinder blocks was enough to make Rollins look like the cheating heel and to take out Ambrose for a while.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #482 on: August 19, 2014, 08:37:41 AM »
Wait, so this family-oriented PG show is now having one star curb stomp another?  That's rich.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: August 19, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »
The curb stomp is Seth Rollins finishing move. Where have you been? :biggrin:

It was a pretty hardcore match for Raw these days though. The bit with all of the chairs was a highlight.
It was funny how they let people vote for the kind of match they were going to have, when the options were all the exact same thing! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #484 on: August 19, 2014, 08:48:01 AM »
I told ya, I don't watch much anymore.  It still DVRs every week, so perhaps I'll check out that match.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: August 19, 2014, 08:51:43 AM »
If anything from Raw in the past year is actually worth watching (which isn't a lot), it would be this match. It was PPV quality.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #486 on: August 19, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »
Curb stomping a man's face into cinder blocks and the blocks breaking is some Dragonball Z quality shit. I know the kids don't know any better, but adults still watch this stuff. I bet there was a whole lot of eye rolling after that, cause realistically, Ambrose would be beyond death if that happened. Still a cool spot though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: August 19, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »
The Ambrose/Rollins match on Raw was one of the best tv matches I've seen in recent memory.  What a feud!!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #488 on: August 20, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: August 21, 2014, 10:41:32 AM »
Found this online. I could watch this promo all day long. The Snake tells you everything you need to know about him, his thoughts on his opponent, and the upcoming match, all in 1:20. And he even threw in a people's eyebrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzE9UgLGjWs
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'