Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203652 times)

Offline Syzzle

Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2014, 11:24:32 AM »
- Dean Ambrose is currently 10 days away from having the longest WWE United States Title reign since it became a WWE title. Ambrose is currently at 333 days and MVP has the longest reign with 343 days.

He defended it like 2 times?

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
Not his fault that creative can't do anything to make the secondary titles mean something.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2014, 11:32:11 AM »
Hey just like the old days. I just watched CM Punk's promo where he talked about how Bruno Sanwhatever only defended the title like once a year and had a title reign of several years. I miss Punk's pipe bombs/promos.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »
Er, someone should tell those bonehead writers that Kane putting his mask back on isn't gonna make most forget that he has been a glorified jobber for years now.  And yet he will be Bryan's first PPV defense as champion?  Good grief. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2014, 11:33:28 AM »
Yeah, you definitely can't just pull that one overnight, and expect people to buy it, even taking into a account a few good tombstones on RAW. Doesn't make a difference.
Kane hasn't been a serious contender for the belt since...... well, ever. He was only involved in the title scene while he was still coasting on Undertaker's gimmick and heat. What a letdown for Bryan's first PPV title defense.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »
And you can bet your bottom dollar that the Evolution vs Shield match will be the main event.  Isn't amazing how HHH, despite not even being a full-time wrestler anymore, always throws himself into the biggest and hottest story? 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »
I never understood the appeal to Kane (assuming their was one?) in any of his incarnations.

Found this amusing on wikipedia:

Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Worst Feud of the Year (2002) vs. Triple H
Worst Feud of the Year (2003) vs. Shane McMahon
Worst Feud of the Year (2004) vs. Matt Hardy and Lita
Worst Feud of the Year (2007) vs. Big Daddy V
Worst Feud of the Year (2008) vs. Rey Mysterio
Worst Feud of the Year (2010) vs. Edge
Worst Feud of the Year (2012) vs. John Cena
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »
Kane was amazing when he first came into the scene, imo and his Big Red Machine thing. All throughout his feud with The Undertaker and then both of them partnering up. They've really fucked him up after that, losing to some stupid matches up to making him the class clown of sorts.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »
Kane's been a glorified jobber for years? Alright.... I've seen it all.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #254 on: April 22, 2014, 02:40:27 PM »
Kane died after the Katie Vick incident. I'll alway hold out hope that someday he'll bulk up and kick ass again though. They can do a storyline where he slowly goes mad and starts wandering the boiler room again, and actually becomes the big red machine again... and a threat to someone other than Santino.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: April 22, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »
Kane died after the Katie Vick incident. I'll alway hold out hope that someday he'll bulk up and kick ass again though. They can do a storyline where he slowly goes mad and starts wandering the boiler room again, and actually becomes the big red machine again... and a threat to someone other than Santino.

I guess you missed his World Title reign, Tag Team Title Reign and MITB win, all occurring after the "Katie Vick incident". 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - Believe in the Shield...Creative does.
« Reply #256 on: April 22, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
Actually yeah, but title reigns don't stop a wreslter from sucking.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: April 22, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »
Actually yeah, but title reigns don't stop a wreslter from sucking.

You think he sucks?  Wow... guess there's no point in even debating this.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »
Kane was my favorite wrestler for a long time. After he changed his mask to the open mouth one, things went down hill. Then Katie Vick, then the mask off, then I didn't like him anymore. I tried. Team Hell No was amusing, but it just wasn't the same. I don't mind funny Kane, that epic skit with he, Rock and Hogan was hilarious.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #259 on: April 22, 2014, 03:40:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHpd1jBWuH0

Yeah this is how you do funny Kane while still making him bad ass.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHpd1jBWuH0

Yeah this is how you do funny Kane while still making him bad ass.

great promo

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: April 22, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
That was a classic promo for sure.

You want to talk about one of the most underrated promo cutters in the business? This promo still holds up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6czHP6rzmkA

And his promos cut as Corporate Kane.... perfect for what was needed. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #262 on: April 23, 2014, 09:30:30 AM »
Kane's been a glorified jobber for years? Alright.... I've seen it all.

Since I started watching again, five years ago, he has been. 

I guess you missed his World Title reign, Tag Team Title Reign and MITB win, all occurring after the "Katie Vick incident".

I think it goes without saying that the WWE has devalued their titles so much over the years that pointing to specific title reigns is probably not the best case to convince anyone that someone was good. The only notable thing Kane has done in the last few years was Team Hell No, and even that was more about Daniel Bryan, who had just gotten major over with the crowd, than him.  That struck me as "We don't have anything else to do with Kane right now, so we'll stick him in a tag team with one of our most over guys."  Once they broke up, Kane went back to being nothing until they dragged him into this corporate/authority storyline.

They appear to be making some effort to making their titles worth something again, hence the new emphasis on the Intercontinental title again, and finally going back to having only one world champion, but we'll see how long that lasts. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2014, 01:56:10 PM »
Agree to disagree I suppose. Jobbers don't get World Titles, no matter how "devalued" they are, as least in my opinion.

And while DB was extremely over before Team Hell No even started, Kane definitely held up his end of the bargain, both in the ring and in the promos.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #264 on: April 23, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »
Jack Swagger was given a world title run, albeit a brief one, a few years ago.  I rest my case. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: April 23, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
Yeah, having the title alone doesn't validate a wrestler's cred. It's one step in establishing it, but there have been many people over the years who held the title that I don't rank as being great.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: April 23, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
I don't think winning a title makes a wrestler great, but I do think winning a title elevates a wrestler beyond jobber status. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: April 24, 2014, 03:29:43 AM »
I don't think winning a title makes a wrestler great, but I do think winning a title elevates a wrestler beyond jobber status.

BINGO!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #268 on: April 24, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
Kane was my favorite wrestler for a long time. After he changed his mask to the open mouth one, things went down hill. Then Katie Vick, then the mask off, then I didn't like him anymore. I tried. Team Hell No was amusing, but it just wasn't the same. I don't mind funny Kane, that epic skit with he, Rock and Hogan was hilarious.

It's what wwe has done for a long time. Build up great characters and then either completely screw them up, or move them to the back burner and make them jobbers or mainly wrestle in dark matches
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #269 on: April 24, 2014, 07:45:21 AM »
The thing I have to say about Kane is that Glen Jacobs is a consummate pro. Everything they've given him, no matter how godawful, he goes out and sells to the best of his ability, 110%. Admittedly sometimes that hurts him-see Katie Vick-but he just goes out and does his job. And based on the few times they've let him be funny (which I suspect is pretty close to the actual Glen Jacobs) he hits it out of the park. But him being Bryan's first PPV defense while HHH and his friends get the real main event? That's bullshit booking. Doesn't even get a PPV rematch of the Mania match, which is usually a given in WWE Booking 101. Just Kane.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #270 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »

Okay, then I'll change it to jobber to the stars.  Aside from his win over Punk on RAW last year before Wrestlemania, thanks to Undertaker's distraction that helped build towards the Punk/Undertaker WM match, I can't remember him having a single significant win over a top guy since I started watching again.  I remember the LOL-worthy "embrace the hate" feud with Cena before the first Rock/Cena match. 

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2014, 11:26:55 PM »
I'm really interested in seeing where this Cena/Wyatt program goes. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: April 29, 2014, 01:57:33 AM »
I'm expecting Wyatt to win this rematch, and it feels like they're setting up Cena to turn heel. At least I hope so, or else he's just being mopey for nothing. :lol I might even half like him if he turned heel!

I'm still not a fan of the Kane/Bryan thing. Are we supposed to believe that the mask magically turns Kane into a legitimate threat? I don't mind them doing classic early Kane stuff, but I'm not buying the sudden turn from jobber to title match contender.
I don't like whats-her-face coming out with Bryan either. Just because they're married, doesn't mean I want her tagging along all the time. I don't think they're capitalizing on Bryan's Wrestlemania win at all yet, and I hope it doesn't bring him down before he's had a chance to wrestle against someone good.

I like what's happening with Cesaro, Heyman, and RVD recently. RVD needs a good storyline.

They've built up the Shield/Evolution rivalry well since Wrestlemania, so I'm excited for that match. I've never liked Flair, so I was disappointed to see him brought into the story.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #273 on: April 29, 2014, 03:31:35 AM »
I don't even know what to think about Kane at this point, but I do know that Corporate Kane was a travesty. I'd rather have Isaac Yankem over corporate Kane.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #274 on: April 29, 2014, 08:36:50 AM »
That Kane segment was beyond awful.  Trying to drag someone down into a hole?  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol  That is so cheesy and not believable, it's actually insulting to the audience.  Is this really the best they can do with Daniel Bryan right after he wins the belt??

And Flair was pretty hammered in that segment at the end.  I got the impression that there was supposed to be more to it, but he was so tanked that he abruptly cut it short and left the ring.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #275 on: April 29, 2014, 08:59:23 AM »
That Kane segment was beyond awful.  Trying to drag someone down into a hole?  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol  That is so cheesy and not believable, it's actually insulting to the audience.  Is this really the best they can do with Daniel Bryan right after he wins the belt??

And Flair was pretty hammered in that segment at the end.  I got the impression that there was supposed to be more to it, but he was so tanked that he abruptly cut it short and left the ring.

Also that ring gag is overused, kane has even done it before I believe.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #276 on: April 29, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »
Why was he trying to drag her into Hornswoggle's house anyway?

Also, that promo with Hugh Jackman was dreadful. Did they even rehearse? Do they rehearse with celebrities, cause if not, they should. Their improv is terrible.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: April 29, 2014, 09:54:12 AM »
Why was he trying to drag her into Hornswoggle's house anyway?

Also, that promo with Hugh Jackman was dreadful. Did they even rehearse? Do they rehearse with celebrities, cause if not, they should. Their improv is terrible.

Jericho recently did a podcast with William Shatner, who was a special guest on a mid '90s episode of RAW to promote TekWar (lol), where he did a terrible monkey flip on Lawler, and he said they rehearsed that.

So I think they would do a quick rehearsal probably that day for the wrestling move (the hip toss in this case), but the rest it doesn't seem so. It seemed mostly guided by the wrestlers with a few remarks from Jackman. I doubt a celebrity would put a lot of time into a one-off promotional appearance like that.

I wouldn't want a celebrity doing a random wrestling move on a wrestler without knowing what they're doing. Actually, I don't want to see celebrities doing moves to wrestlers at all. :lol It has never made wrestling look good.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: April 29, 2014, 02:20:07 PM »
I think that Kane is the perfect choice for Daniel Bryan to feud with, given the circumstances. I mean, they have a long, well documented history that lacks that payoff match. And let's be honest.... the Title match at Extreme Rules was probably originally going to be Batista defending against Orton. Thankfully, that's not the case. And even as things played out the way they did, Bryan would most likely be facing off against Batista if it weren't for the Shield/Evolution thing. So Kane was the perfect choice, and having him return to his roots is the absolute correct move. Corporate Kane had a fantastic interview a couple of months ago where he explained that he could put on the mask whenever he wanted (in a way that made perfect sense). On top of that, I don't understand why Kane doesn't get more credit for being one of the best big man wrestlers in history. What he does at his size is incredible. That match on Sunday will be fantastic. You heard it here first.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #279 on: April 30, 2014, 11:54:34 PM »
Well, Daniel Bryan can pretty much get a fantastic match out of just about anyone - remember he got one out of freaking Ryback last year! - so if the match this weekend is fantastic, that will be because of Bryan's greatness more than anything.