Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203674 times)

Offline Syzzle

Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2014, 08:47:33 AM »
RIP Warrior :(

Word going around is that he died of natural causes which would surprise me if that were the case.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2014, 09:05:22 AM »
I was never much of a fan of his - I think I rooted against him in every major feud he had (Rude, Savage, etc.) - but there is no denying the guy had one of the best entrances ever: nothing fancy or choreographed, just him running to the ring at 100 MPH with that music playing.  It was easy to see why he was so over with the fans during his peak (1988-1990), even if I personally wasn't a fan.  Should be interesting to see what is said about him in the coming days by people in the industry since he was not well-liked at all, partly for being a bad and difficult worker back in the day, and partly for the way he spent decades trashing the industry.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »
I was unaware that he was unliked or that there was animosity until you mentioned it. Based on the WikiP entry it does seem that WWE brought a fair amount of it on itself. Selling a DVD titled "The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" after he resigns from your promotion isn't exactly a tactful move.  :lol  Furthermore, suing him over the image and IP of the Warrior schtick wasn't real cool either, since he was clearly doing most of it back here in Dallas.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2014, 09:37:59 AM »
Well, look up petty in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of Vince McMahon. :lol :lol

In fact, I think that is a big reason why Bret Hart sucked it up and buried the hatchet with Vince, as there was talk that Vince was gonna do something similar with Hart and a new DVD.  Deep down, I would bet money that Bret still hates Vince's guts, and every time they trot him out for an event, like when he was there the other night, you know Bret is thinking, "I can't believe I have to do this shit." Granted, he probably gets a nice paycheck for the window dressing, but still, it has to be pretty galling.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:49:14 AM by KevShmev »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »
To be honest I don't even know who Bret Hart is (there used to be a manager named Hart--bald guy, but I'm assuming that's not him). The only reason I know the Warrior is because he was the Dingo first, and that was in Dallas back when I watched wrestling. I do know who McMahon is, and he certainly seems like one of the world's leading assholes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #180 on: April 09, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »
To be honest I don't even know who Bret Hart is (there used to be a manager named Hart--bald guy, but I'm assuming that's not him). The only reason I know the Warrior is because he was the Dingo first, and that was in Dallas back when I watched wrestling. I do know who McMahon is, and he certainly seems like one of the world's leading assholes.

Guess you never watched the WWF in the 90s?  He was probably their biggest name for that decade, behind the Undertaker and Michaels.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »
Hated WWF, and probably the biggest reason I blew off wrestling altogether. That's what changed it from blood and guts to soap opera stories with the occasional match thrown in. WCCW was dark and spooky. Those guys would turn up dead in hotel rooms or get stabbed in lockerrooms. WWF was about as dark and shady as GLOW (except without the T&A to make it worth watching).
E.F. Benson

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »
SO saddened by this news.  Here is his final speech from RAW on Monday.  The guy basically gave his own eulogy....

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »
I started watching wrestling around the time Warrior was blowing up, and the first Mania I caught was WMVI, and everyone there was tired of Hulk Hogan and was pulling for the Warrior to win. When he got the pin the room I was in exploded. Memorable start to my watching of pro wrestling. Had some amazing matches with Rick Rude and Randy Savage (and Warrior seemed inspired when he worked with those two because if you watch them, it wasn't the classic broomstick carry, he would bust out moves you couldn't believe he KNEW against those two) and wow, that entrance was simplicity itself, and yes, blew him up for early parts of matches, but it jacked the crowd up every time.

To this day I can watch where he won the IC title from Honky Tonk Man and laugh my ass off at it. Hard to believe he died so soon after being on TV.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
It's too bad that he died, but honestly, I never saw the appeal, or the wrestling talent.  He certainly milked what he had, though.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »
Trivia time ... Who remembers this from '85/'86?  Anyone else remember what they were called?

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: April 09, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »
Trivia time ... Who remembers this from '85/'86?  Anyone else remember what they were called?

Blade runners, with a young Steve borden.

I loved the Ultimate Warrior as a kid. The energy and charisma he carried always blew my mind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
I started watching wrestling around '98 so my only memory of warrior was the hilariously bad time he returned to WCW to haunt Hollywood Hogan. I had no clue who the guy was, but that whole thing was retarded to me, even as a kid.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »

I remember that.  They were in Mid-South Wrestling.  What a great territory that was.  It also featured (at various times) The Rock N Roll Express, The Midnight Express, The Fantastics, and The Fabulous Ones.  Fantastic time and place for tag-team wrestling. 

However, I would imagine that both Sting and the Warrior were better served for the Blade Runners splitting up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »
Blade Runner Rock and Blade Runner Flash.

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »
WMVI was one of my favorite WWF moments growing up. The Warrior was pretty much the only guy I liked better than Hulk until Taker came up. RIP Warrior, you crazy bastard  :metal

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »
I've actually been watching the Ultimate Warrior DVD the last week.  He was more than capable of having a good match when he had the right opponent.  The match with Hogan at WM is amazing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2014, 08:08:33 PM »
Ok all you smarty pants... what stable/faction were Helwig and Borden part of before they broke out and called themselves the Blade Runners?  No googling allowed.

And I concur with Jay... that WMVI match is one of the best ever.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
Something USA.

Powerlifting? Powerteam?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2014, 08:47:20 PM »
Something USA.

Powerlifting? Powerteam?

Atta boy.  Powerteam USA for the win.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2014, 11:39:50 AM »
So why did they decide to end the streak? Any ideas? It makes no sense to me, especially by Brock Lesner. Seems like this should have been done by someone iconic - maybe a return of Steve Austin, the Rock, Kane, or anyone that he's had a big feud over the years. BL has been in and out of WWE a few times iirc? Doesn't enhance his career or anything. It all looks like a wasted opportunity, not that it should have been done in the first place.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »
So why did they decide to end the streak? Any ideas? It makes no sense to me, especially by Brock Lesner. Seems like this should have been done by someone iconic - maybe a return of Steve Austin, the Rock, Kane, or anyone that he's had a big feud over the years. BL has been in and out of WWE a few times iirc? Doesn't enhance his career or anything. It all looks like a wasted opportunity, not that it should have been done in the first place.

It's possible Brock just happened to be the guy who was wrestling Taker on the year he/they chose for him to lose. For all we know, the outcome was decided after the match was booked.
Brock is definitely one of the most believable guys to defeat The Undertaker, so I don't have a problem with that, although he is a bit of a part timer right now, and doesn't seem to have as much respect for WWE or The Undertaker's legacy as someone else would have, and the build-up and match weren't really worthy of the loss. That does bother me.
I would definitely not have wanted The Rock or Kane to end the streak though. Kane has been terrible for years, so nobody would have been happier with that situation, and The Rock is a part timer, so I don't think he deserves it either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
Word is that 'Taker wanted Lesnar to end the streak years ago, and since they are good friends apparently, it was probably an easy decision for him to decide to let Lesnar end it. 

Some have said it should have been to an up-and-comer, but I disagree.  Sure, it would give a major rub to a possible future star, but what if that guy flames out and never becomes a top star?  Then the streak was ended by someone who turned out to not be all that great.  It had to end at the hands of someone who is already a top guy, and while Lesnar might be a part-timer, he fits the bill.  The other top guy it could have gone to is Cena, but he is already hated by tons of people, and if it had been him to end the streak, my gosh, the backlash would have been unreal.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2014, 12:14:39 PM »
I would be quite surprised if the Undertaker and Lesnar are, at least, decent friends.  I wouldn't think that Undertaker would like guys that was given everything the business had to offer him and he left in a manner that Lesnar did back in 2004.

The other top guy it could have gone to is Cena, but he is already hated by tons of people, and if it had been him to end the streak, my gosh, the backlash would have been unreal.

That would have be a good opportunity to really legitimately turn Cena heel.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #200 on: April 10, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that there was major heat between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zjHtxPew5Os#t=44

That doesn't look like friends to me.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2014, 12:57:02 PM »
I think I read before that Brock didn't really like losing to Taker some years ago when they had some match so maybe they weren't the best of pals back then, no idea what's up now. As I've said before, I haven't really kept up with the scene, just check out the occasional Taker WM match and that's about it.

I wonder if he has a chance against Brock in an UFC match after few months of training himself.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2014, 01:00:06 PM »
Um... What was up with that divas match on Raw? Paige did one move and was able to beat AJ? I'm unfamiliar with Paige, but apparently she's well liked on NXT, but couldn't they have made her title match a little better than that? That was crap.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »
Um... What was up with that divas match on Raw? Paige did one move and was able to beat AJ? I'm unfamiliar with Paige, but apparently she's well liked on NXT, but couldn't they have made her title match a little better than that? That was crap.

Female wrestlers never get up from finishing moves, and it was only a TV match, and apparently that was her finishing move, executed poorly. I couldn't even tell what it was supposed to be, as I've never seen anything else of her.
It was crap.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2014, 01:37:37 PM »
Yeah Paige was terrible they should put the title on someone who can actually wrestle like Natalya or Tamina.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
Yeah Paige was terrible they should put the title on someone who can actually wrestle like Natalya or Tamina.

Do what? Paige is incredible. You should probably actually watch one of her "full" matches before passing judgment on her.

Here's a clip from a recent match......   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYAtvX48xZY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »
Okay, do we really care who the divas champion is?  I mean, really? :lol :lol

That was part of the work, as they both knew that a Wrestlemania match was a possibility down the line, so they did that to make look like there was real animosity in case the match every came about, which it obviously did.  Those in-the-know have said that they are pals, and Lesnar supposedly rode along with him and Vince when 'Taker was taken to the hospital after the match the other night.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »

She is a member of a wrestling family. She's been wrestling her whole life, and is really, really good.

As for the "impromptu" match the other night, here's what I've previously posted:

I feel like they should have waited on having the actual match. Both ladies had title reigns over 200 days long. They could have played that up and had a title for title match which might have been the biggest Women's Title Match in modern history. But that aside, still very happy for the Champ!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: April 10, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
Okay, do we really care who the divas champion is?  I mean, really? :lol :lol

That was part of the work, as they both knew that a Wrestlemania match was a possibility down the line, so they did that to make look like there was real animosity in case the match every came about, which it obviously did.  Those in-the-know have said that they are pals, and Lesnar supposedly rode along with him and Vince when 'Taker was taken to the hospital after the match the other night.

This exactly. It's very likely that Undertaker hand picked Lesnar to beat him at Wrestlemania. I'm sure Vince was content with the streak never being broken, but this may have been something that the Undertaker insisted on, or at least pushed for.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »
I feel bad for the families of the wrestlers that were slandered last night. Feel bad for DDP who had to sit in on that crap.

I went on Nancy Grace last night expecting to discuss Warrior the man. Had I known the only topic discussed would be steroids I would not have participated. At the time I was also unaware of the list that was shown to the viewing audience. To imply that all of the wrestlers on that list died from steroids was wrong and for that they owe the families an apology. Again, my only intention was to discuss Warrior the man and share some stories about how dedicated he was to the wrestling business. I am saddened that was not what happened and my thoughts remain with his family.

DDP
Source: DDP Yoga Facebook Page

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gv-WOE17s

Here's Cody Rhodes alleged thoughts on it:
This is what Cody Rhodes had to say

""Why are folks surprised by @NancyGraceHLN ?? She got dumped by a pro-wrestler in the 80s' and started a life quest to be just awful... ...if she was remotely confident in her accusations, she'd interview an active talent, yet she won't do that because she'd have a... ..."Mark Cuban/Skip Bayless" situation, and she would come-off as the ignorant sweathog she actually is." "