Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203614 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - WM XXX
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »
The unfortunate thing for Daniel Bryan is, they actually let him win it all and have his big moment, like so many thought they should, but all anyone is talking about is the Undertaker's stupid streak ending.  Some older gal I work with is legit mad that he lost instead of just retiring with the streak intact.  I chided her on FB about it, and the next time I see her, I am gonna remind her again what a mark she is. :lol :lol :biggrin:

There's really no need to be so dismissive about it.  Granted, it's just professional wrestling, no big deal, but it's also the end of a storyline that has been going on for more than two decades.  I think that seems like something worth talking about.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2014, 07:50:18 AM »
I doubt they had little faith in Hogan, so much as his bad knees and hips have made it to where he probably can't take even the simplest bump, thus what he can do is fairly limited.  Plus, once they got Rock and Austin on board to show up, having the three biggest stars in wrestling history together, even if it was just window-dressing, was the natural thing to do.

It did work out very nicely, and I'm actually glad Austin and Rock didn't get involved beyond that. I'm over the Rock's recent part timer wrestling, and Austin didn't need to do anything, it was just cool to see him there as part of the event. He was clearly enjoying the hell out of being in there too. :hat Having any fighting after that would have ruined the moment.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2014, 07:52:34 AM »
Oh, I know, Jaffa.  I will do it in a fun way, as she is a super nice lady, so I'll be cool about it, while also having fun with it. :coolio

Also, back to one of BVD's points, Stephanie not interfering in the match made total sense when you consider the kayfabe stance she and HHH had taken.  In their minds, Bryan wasn't good enough to even wrestle HHH at Wrestlemania, and only got the match because of the Occupy Raw moment, so she shouldn't need to interfere since HHH should beat Bryan with relative ease.  Her "shocked" reaction when Bryan won was part of that arc.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
Also, back to one of BVD's points, Stephanie not interfering in the match made total sense when you consider the kayfabe stance she and HHH had taken.  In their minds, Bryan wasn't good enough to even wrestle HHH at Wrestlemania, and only got the match because of the Occupy Raw moment, so she shouldn't need to interfere since HHH should beat Bryan with relative ease.  Her "shocked" reaction when Bryan won was part of that arc.

I didn't think of it that way, but that works.
I'm glad she stayed out of that match, and that they saved the obligatory screw-job drama for the big title match (excluding the minor beating after the first match, which was expected).

It even showed that HHH is capable of wrestling a good match without using weapons and foul play as a crutch. Best match I've seen from him in a long time, and I gained a little bit of respect for him after this PPV, which I thought was impossible at this point. Bryan makes his opponents lift their game, and he can put on a good match with just about anyone, which is the mark of a great wrestler.
And seeing HHH wrestle in the opening match was also a bonus, even if he did still insert himself into the title match in some form. :lol

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »

Probably HHH's best entrance.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2014, 08:38:42 AM »
My love for Sasha Banks keeps distracting me in that gif.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »
I thought it was a great show overall.  I expected Bryan to come out on top at the end, but I was very legitimately surprised to see Undertaker lose cleanly.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »
Extremely surprised to see Taker lose. WTF happened. He had a concussion? Lesnar was supposed to put him over but chose to break script? The rumor mill keeps turning...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »
People can make up any rumor they want, but anybody who believes that that match didn't end exactly as they planned it needs to get a grip on reality.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »
Yes, it was a lame end to the streak, and it sucks that Undertaker lost, but losing a match isn't a conspiracy regardless of his win record. The Undertaker has wanted the streak to end in the past, but nobody else has wanted it. They ended it at Wrestlemania XXX to a powerful opponent.

Offline farsight

« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
Where the f did that Trips come from? Tiger suplex, crossface chickenwing and crippler?  Definitely MVP of WM30 for me(Except for Punk, who seems to have saved the fans from experiencing Bryan-Shaemus and Orton-Batista).

I'm actually excited for what he has in store for next year. Steph was distractingly hot.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:00:55 PM by farsight »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »
I doubt they would have kept those plans.  They likely would have found a way to get Bryan into the title match, just not having to resurrect the feud with HHH to do it.  We'll never know what their original plans really were, but the Royal Rumble backlash - Batista not being the face they thought he'd be following his return; the anger over Bryan not being in the Rumble - forced them to change things, and that would have happened even if Punk had stayed.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Streak
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »
Hate Triple H all you want, but damn he put on a great match with Bryan and jobbed clean!

At first I thought either Taker or the ref fucked up that three count because I was so surprised, but yeah it was time for him to lose. I would've if it had been in the long rumored Sting match though.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2014, 05:41:52 PM »
Predictions for RAW tonight? I bet Heyman and Lesnar open the show and get tons of heat. The best that can come from Taker's loss is if Lesnar gets a huge push out of it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »
Anyone think that Sting will show up tonight?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2014, 06:47:57 PM »
That would be cool.

So are the Wyatts so over because the crowd hates Cena, cause they were cheered like faces in that match.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2014, 06:55:37 PM »
wow Wyatts were over huge tonight

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »
That Ultimate Warrior promo was painful. Dude looks like he can barely walk, let alone talk.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
An hour ago, Heyman was being booed out the building and now he's cheered like he's Daniel Bryan lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2014, 10:36:58 PM »
Has anyone ever been as over as Daniel Bryan is at the moment?  Seriously.  It is just insane.  Maybe Hogan, Rock or Austin, but that's it.  That pretty crazy company to be in.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:16 PM »
Agreed. I can't recall anyone other than those three getting the pops that Brian has. Maybe Brett Hart in the USA vs Canada days, when he was a huge face up here, and a heel south of the border.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2014, 11:32:29 PM »
I don't really care about wrestling since Stone Cold-Undertaker-Rock were the main events and I'm still pissed that they ended the streak. It killed a little from my childhood.

Offline farsight

« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2014, 11:51:28 PM »
I sure hope Bryan can sustain his popularity, but he has got to change things up a bit now that he's won the championship. Maybe get a manager.

Paige winning is cool. AJ botched the finisher though. This will be a great feud.

And this really feels like the start of a new era.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »
I sure hope Bryan can sustain his popularity, but he has got to change things up a bit now that he's won the championship. Maybe get a manager.

Paige winning is cool. AJ botched the finisher though. This will be a great feud.

And this really feels like the start of a new era.

I feel like they should have waited on having the actual match. Both ladies had title reigns over 200 days long. They could have played that up and had a title for title match which might have been the biggest Women's Title Match in modern history. But that aside, still very happy for the Champ!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2014, 09:47:35 PM »
Assuming the HHH twitter account is legit, and I think it is, he just announced the passing of the Ultimate Warrior.  Woah.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2014, 10:00:07 PM »
It's legit.  WWE.com has announced it now as well.  That is some crazy timing, considering he was inducted into the HOF this past weekend and appeared on RAW last night for the first time in almost 20 years.  Wow.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »
It's legit.  WWE.com has announced it now as well.  That is some crazy timing, considering he was inducted into the HOF this past weekend and appeared on RAW last night for the first time in almost 20 years.  Wow.

I can't help but think that can't be a coincidence. I'm thinking either the recent events were too much for him and his heart gave out (as has caused many old wrestlers to drop like flies), or maybe even suicide, given that he's a bit of an odd guy.

R.I.P Ultimate Warrior.

And I watched this week's RAW. I haven't watched it in forever, but it was surprisingly great.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2014, 10:54:04 PM »
Could this be the fastest title change, ever?  From RIP Streak to RIP Warrior?

Anywho, this is very sad and very sudden that it happened and this segment pretty much makes a good amount of sense in light of everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR08M6EUd0g

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2014, 11:42:31 PM »
Holy shit.   :( :( :( :( :(

R.I.P. Warrior. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2014, 12:35:42 AM »
It really is sad for him to die this young but at the very least he went out sensationally: WWE HoF, Wrestlemania XXX, and a Raw reunion all in his final week. I truly feel bad for his loved ones and fans but, for him at least, this is FAR better than the standard 10-15 years of withering through a gradual decline in motor skills, mental capacity, and many other things we take for granted in our vital years. Regardless, RIP Warrior.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2014, 01:19:44 AM »
RIP Warrior

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2014, 03:28:01 AM »
Unbelievable. My thoughts are with his wife and children....

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2014, 05:14:09 AM »
This is incredibly surprising. We just saw him the day before and everything you read about him said he always took good care of himself. Wow

RIP

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2014, 07:38:45 AM »
That is absolutely crazy. Makes his speech Monday about the last heart beat and last breath so incredibly ironic (and not in the good way). Saddened to hear this. He was one of my favorites growing up.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2014, 08:30:25 AM »
Down here he was just seen as a Kerry Von Erich ripoff. Nobody really had anything against him. He just didn't have a whole lot to offer. Guess it's good that he did better elsewhere. All in all he looked pretty good in the video I just saw. I suppose he's just one of the thousands of people who drop dead of a surprise heart attack and it's not wrestling related at all, or it's further evidence that coke and steroids are a really bad combination. Don't know anything about the guy's personal life, but since he started down here it's almost a foregone conclusion.

Anyway, here ya go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qoRfmcZY8
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson