Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 203725 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - RIP Vader
« Reply #2380 on: July 16, 2018, 05:58:38 AM »
First PPV in a while without Reigns in it.... you would think they would have loved Rollins vs. Ziggler closing the show.

But then again, crowds love putting themselves over. Were they just doing countdowns, or saying legit disrespectful stuff like "boring"?

Did you forget about Reigns vs Lashley? Can't blame you if you did, it was fucking awful. :lol At least they didn't put that on last.

They were *just* doing countdowns, but it was literally every damn minute, and then randomly inbetween every ten seconds. It was embarrassing and rude, and made it unwatchable. Should have just muted it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2381 on: July 16, 2018, 06:02:57 AM »
Sorry... I meant to say first main event in a while without Reigns.

Didn't see it for myself since I haven't watched any WWE since the Greatest Royal Rumble mess, but generally, paying customers can do whatever they want within reason. If they were more into a countdown than what was probably a stellar match between Rollins and Ziggler, then their loss I guess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: July 16, 2018, 09:46:26 AM »
I had bought tickets for Summerslam thinking it would be fun to go to, as live WWE events have been, although I don't really follow.  Work is making me go to Amsterdam the next Monday so I offloaded the tickets on stubhub.  Oh well, but if the current product isn't very good then I'm ok with missing it.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2383 on: July 20, 2018, 12:07:26 AM »
Didn't see it for myself since I haven't watched any WWE since the Greatest Royal Rumble mess, but generally, paying customers can do whatever they want within reason.

I'm kind of torn on this. 

On the one hand, yeah, you're right.  Crowds should be allowed to chant whatever the hell they want.  In fact, one of my favorite things about professional wrestling is the way crowds are basically given free reign to chant whatever the hell they want.

On the other hand, I think we underestimate how important crowd reaction is to making or breaking a show.  Sure, it's the WWE's job to create a product that makes crowds want to get into the show, and there's an argument to be made that if the they just put on a better show, the crowd will get into it.  You can look at the NXT Takeovers for easy examples of this.  NXT didn't start out with a rabid following, it developed that by telling good stories and putting on good matches.  At the same time, though I look at a magical moment like Nakamura vs. Samoa Joe, and I try to imagine what that match would have looked like if that crowd had not been so red hot.  They were absolutely on fire for Shinsuke Nakamura, and they made him look like a bona fide superstar.  When they brought his theme music back with pure chanting near the end of the match, I got fucking chills.  Imagine if, instead, the crowd had been doing random countdowns, or playing with random beach balls, or just chanting CM Punk.  It still would have been a good wrestling match, but I wouldn't have gotten chills out of it, you know?

That's where I am with some of the crowd hijackings.  It has its place, but damn, can we stop for a minute?

Next week, Bobby Lashley is fighting Roman Reigns again to determine who will face Lesnar next.  The existence of this rematch highlights the fact that their Extreme Rules match had no stakes whatsoever and was utterly pointless.  When that match comes on, by all means, hijack the show. 

If they had been the main event of Extreme Rules despite their match having no stakes, by all means, hijack the show. 

But we got Seth Rollins vs. Dolph Ziggler for the intercontinental championship in the main event of a pay per view.  And we still shit all over it for some reason. 

When I look back at the Attitude Era, I think my actual favorite thing about it was the way every crowd went totally batshit insane whenever Stone Cold's music hit.  I'm not saying anything on modern WWE television deserves that kind of pop, but damn, how do we expect the show to be good if we can't get the audience to invest in anything because they'd rather just shout random things?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2384 on: August 11, 2018, 12:09:21 AM »
So I just found out the news that Kane actually is elected to be the mayor for Knox County, Tennessee.  That sounds cool and Kane, from what I've read, that he's a pretty smart and well articulate person so I have no doubts that he knows what he's getting himself into and he's looking at every intentions to do a good job at it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: August 11, 2018, 02:33:13 PM »
As long as he doesn't have to deal with Pete Rose while being Mayor.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2386 on: August 11, 2018, 02:37:22 PM »
Was going to post that Kane story. Saw when he was going up to the podium to give his acceptance speech they played Kane's theme music. Didn't think artists had rights to use "their" music for their personal use.

Never got in to Kane as a wrestler, not sure why.

As long as he doesn't have to deal with Pete Rose while being Mayor.

I would bet against that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - RIP Anvil
« Reply #2387 on: August 13, 2018, 06:14:00 PM »
Back in the 80's, I always thought the Hart Foundation as the most interesting tag team, as you had the incredible technical skills of Bret Hart, and then you had the sheer brawn and power of Jim Neidhart.  I thought it was cool to have a regular tag team with two totally different styles, as opposed to two guys with similar styles which was the norm, yet they made it work. 

R.I.P. Anvil.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2388 on: August 13, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »
 :sadpanda:

The battles with the British Bulldogs were legendary.  So many other fantastic feuds.  He was one-dimensional on the mic, but man, what a great dimension.  So much about the Hart Foundation was like the Odd Couple, but it worked so well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2389 on: August 14, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »
Who died?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2390 on: August 14, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
Well let's see:

Nikolai Volkoff
Brian Christopher
Bad News Brown
Jim Neidhart
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2391 on: August 14, 2018, 10:27:32 AM »
So yes then.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2392 on: August 14, 2018, 10:28:39 AM »
Almost to a man, these guys are dying so young. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: August 14, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »
The 80's were clearly the best time for tag team wrestling.  Modern day wrestling has moved away from it so much; but back then, there was lots of teams all with distinctive looks and personalities.  The Hart Foundation were at or near the top of the best tag teams.  Perfect combination of speed and power.

I don't think neither Bret or Jim will ever be considered fantastic on the mic, but they made their interviews work very well together.  I always got a kick when Jim would go off the handles during the interview and Bret would always have to remind him to calm down lol

Last night I watched the Hart Foundation vs Demolition at Summerslam 1990.  Great 2 out of 3 falls match and this may have been Jim's high point of his career.  But tag team wrestling in the 80s and early 90s was always awesome to watch. 

Hart Foundation, Demolition, Rockers, Brain Busters, Bulldogs, Road Warriors, Midnight Express, Rock n Roll Express, Rougeau Brothers, etc, etc.  By the way if you've never heard the Rougeau Brothers theme song, do your self a favor and listen to it on youtube.  Might be the best theme song ever, or at least the funniest.  Rockers and Midnight Express had super cool entrance songs too.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2394 on: August 14, 2018, 12:04:21 PM »
Sorry, I should have added Randy Orton's career to my list.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2395 on: August 14, 2018, 01:32:13 PM »
Almost to a man, these guys are dying so young. 

Yeah, I think someone on twitter noted yesterday that half or even more of the performers from SummerSlam 1990 are dead, which is kind of crazy.

The 80's were clearly the best time for tag team wrestling.  Modern day wrestling has moved away from it so much; but back then, there was lots of teams all with distinctive looks and personalities.  The Hart Foundation were at or near the top of the best tag teams.  Perfect combination of speed and power.

I don't think neither Bret or Jim will ever be considered fantastic on the mic, but they made their interviews work very well together.  I always got a kick when Jim would go off the handles during the interview and Bret would always have to remind him to calm down lol

Last night I watched the Hart Foundation vs Demolition at Summerslam 1990.  Great 2 out of 3 falls match and this may have been Jim's high point of his career.  But tag team wrestling in the 80s and early 90s was always awesome to watch. 

Hart Foundation, Demolition, Rockers, Brain Busters, Bulldogs, Road Warriors, Midnight Express, Rock n Roll Express, Rougeau Brothers, etc, etc.  By the way if you've never heard the Rougeau Brothers theme song, do your self a favor and listen to it on youtube.  Might be the best theme song ever, or at least the funniest.  Rockers and Midnight Express had super cool entrance songs too.

Definitely a more colorful era in general as far as gimmicks. There's been some amazing tag team wrestling down in NXT the last couple years, sadly Raw and Smackdown don't seem to know what to do with all these teams once they get promoted.

I've heard he's actually been doing pretty good stuff since his return a few weeks ago. Then again, hyper violent asshole doesn't seem like too much of a stretch for Randy :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2396 on: August 14, 2018, 02:47:16 PM »
I rode the shuttle train at Hartsfield Airport (Atlanta) with Michael Hayes one time.  He was dressed like Ronnie Van Zant about to go on stage (he had a music career, and he was in the "Fabulous Freebirds", but my point was, he had style), but he was cool as beans.  Really pleasant guy for the nine seconds I shot the shit with him.  He didn't seem 6'4" though. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: August 14, 2018, 04:46:29 PM »

I've heard he's actually been doing pretty good stuff since his return a few weeks ago. Then again, hyper violent asshole doesn't seem like too much of a stretch for Randy :lol

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2018/0814/644797/former-wwe-star-accuses-randy-orton-of-more-bad-behavior/

Court Bauer on Randy Orton: "For every new writer that would show up, he come in the room put his hand down his pants, pull out his dick, touch himself, then say "I'm Randy Orton, shake my hand...oh you dont want to shake my hand? You're big leaguing me? That's f--ked up man. Should I tell Vince and Steph you wont shake Randy Ortons hand?"

The writers would all start sweating and backing up into the corner, the guys dick is still hanging out, and he would be there cutting a promo on a guy with his dick hanging out for like five minutes.

And speaking of taking out your dick...

I rode the shuttle train at Hartsfield Airport (Atlanta) with Michael Hayes one time.  He was dressed like Ronnie Van Zant about to go on stage (he had a music career, and he was in the "Fabulous Freebirds", but my point was, he had style), but he was cool as beans.  Really pleasant guy for the nine seconds I shot the shit with him. 

Probably better that you were at the airport with him and not on a plane with him.

https://dailyddt.com/2017/05/05/wwe-plane-ride-from-hell/

“Hayes almost pissed on Linda McMahon. He was all f—ed up – trying to whip his d–k out [stooped over, tugging at his trouser zip] He doesn’t know it’s Linda – he thinks he’s at the f—in’ bathroom. He’s like… [Hayes’ voice] ‘Wait a minute…wait a minute…’ He just keeps saying ‘Wait a minute’, over and over again. Finally, somebody [led him away]…”

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: August 15, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »
Oh, no, he did whip his dick out.  I told you I don't offend easily.   :)

I used to be a security guard at the Hartford Civic Center, and on odd occasions I'd get to be the guard inside the visiting teams locker room (I'd stand inside the door and make sure no one came in or out).  The locker rooms weren't that big so there were players changing right there.   LA Kings in town, and one of the goalies at the time was a shorter guy with a heavy French Canadian accent(I looked it up, and I'm pretty sure it was Mario Gosselin, though I won't bet on it).   This  was right around the time that they started to let women in the locker room.  He's talking, all I can see is his back (he has no shirt on) and there's a woman behind him with her tape recorder and someone next to her asks a question and he turns.  I get to see him swing around and he's totally nude except for a sock on his jimmy ala the Red Hot Chili Peppers.   She was a pro, though and looked him in the eye and stuck out her tape recorder.   Later, I did feel bad for her.   I don't think he meant it in a dick way (pun intended), but more reflective of the adjustment period that change required.   

(By the way, speaking of "pro", Gretsky.   He knew he was the draw.  He knew he was the guy that everyone wanted to talk to.  He was in, showered and ready to go in like 20 minutes, tops, and took probably 75% of the press outside away from the rest of the team.   He even said "'c'mon guys, let's go out here where there's more room" and pulled out most of the press to the walkway out front of the locker room.)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2399 on: August 16, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »
@Cool Chris yeah, I saw that yesterday, all of a sudden what you had said made a lot more sense :lol

Grabbed a last minute ticket for TakeOver on Saturday and I am pumped :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: August 19, 2018, 12:19:54 PM »
I gotta say, Gargano/Ciampa is shaping up to be one of my favorite wrestling rivalries of all time.  I can't remember the last time I was this invested in a feud.  These two guys are reminding me what it felt like to be a wrestling fan when I was ten years old. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: August 19, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »
Absolutely one of the best feuds in recent memory and last nights main event was fantastic and brutal at the same time.  All kinds of awesome.  Every match was great and I think it's time for Velveteen Dream to go to the main roster.  He has one of the most entertaining gimmicks I've ever seen.

And I'm just blown away by the talent of Ricochet.  Unreal and Adam Cole kept right up with him.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: August 20, 2018, 04:18:05 AM »
Summerslam ends with Roman, Charlotte and Ronda as champions? Glad I didn't lose any sleep over that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2403 on: August 20, 2018, 12:35:29 PM »
We all knew Roman was going over, and that match sucked exactly as much as expected. Glad the crowd didn't take that shit for the hundredth time. :lol The "you both suck" chant was excellent. Brocky was looking noticably smaller ready for UFC drug testing.

So fucking glad Charlotte won. Carmella was an abomination of a champ, and set the women's division back 15 years. Great match too. Can't wait to see a Charlotte / Becky feud. Becky has been too overlooked on the main roster.

I get them putting the belt on Rousey, and she has definitely put in the time, because she looked like she earned it out there. She is awesome to watch, like what Brock used to be when he wasn't phoning it in. Loved every second of it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: August 23, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »
Glad I didn't go to Summerslam and was able to sell those ticket then  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: October 22, 2018, 08:58:00 PM »
https://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2018-10-22/article/roman-reigns-relinquished-universal-championship-leukemia-battle

From the article: Roman Reigns relinquished the Universal Championship after revealing his battle with leukemia.

The article went on to say Vince McMahon conceived the program between Reigns and Leukemia, instructing Leukemia to make Reigns look strong.

Too soon?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2406 on: October 23, 2018, 03:06:00 AM »
https://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2018-10-22/article/roman-reigns-relinquished-universal-championship-leukemia-battle

From the article: Roman Reigns relinquished the Universal Championship after revealing his battle with leukemia.

The article went on to say Vince McMahon conceived the program between Reigns and Leukemia, instructing Leukemia to make Reigns look strong.

Too soon?

Some people actually think this is a work to try and get Roman over.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: October 23, 2018, 10:50:50 PM »

Too soon?

Some people actually think this is a work to try and get Roman over.

I ca't deny that the thought crossed my mind, too.  But the WWE wouldn't joke around about cancer.  Apart from any moral or ethical consideration, it would be a PR catastrophe for them.  Between Connor's Cure and their support for the Susan G. Komen For the Cure, they have a lot of chips on the board in favor of taking cancer very seriously.

That being said, I wish it WAS a work.  I wouldn't wish leukemia on anyone.  I sincerely hope he can beat this.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2408 on: October 31, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
Damn I thought it would take me years to get used to seeing HHH without his long hair. Aside from the too-bushy beard, he looks great. Michaels on the other hand looks downright bizarre with his new look.

Has Kane/Jacobs' term as mayor started? Does the town need to schedule council meetings or other town business around his other career? "I am sorry councilman, the mayor is not able to respond to your request at this time, he is currently in Saudi Arabia wearing tights grappling with some other 50 year old dudes."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2409 on: November 01, 2018, 08:59:49 AM »
Damn I thought it would take me years to get used to seeing HHH without his long hair. Aside from the too-bushy beard, he looks great. Michaels on the other hand looks downright bizarre with his new look.

Has Kane/Jacobs' term as mayor started? Does the town need to schedule council meetings or other town business around his other career? "I am sorry councilman, the mayor is not able to respond to your request at this time, he is currently in Saudi Arabia wearing tights grappling with some other 50 year old dudes."

Part of Glenn’s agreement to go to Saudi Arabia is that WWE is donating $100,000 to a local charity, so even when he’s wrestling, he’s still finding a way to make it beneficial to his city.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2410 on: November 18, 2018, 11:12:09 AM »
[Spoilers]

So.  We're living in a world where both Daniel Bryan and Johnny Gargano are turning into villains, and there's an outside shot that Becky Lynch is going to headline WrestleMania.

Interesting year!
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2411 on: November 18, 2018, 11:38:43 AM »
I scooped up a cheap ticket for Wrestlemania the other day.  And buy cheap, I mean a nosebleed for $100 after fees, but compared to the price of the rest of the seats, it feels cheap.  I don't know if I'll actually go, but have never been to a Wrestlemania and figure I could offload it if I decide not to go (I did that for Summerslam)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2412 on: November 19, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/watch-enzo-amore-ejected-from-survivor-series/ar-BBPRtzP?ocid=spartanntp

Wrestler cuts random, impromptu promo about how basass he is, gets taken down hard by a gal in a suit.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2413 on: November 19, 2018, 06:44:40 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/watch-enzo-amore-ejected-from-survivor-series/ar-BBPRtzP?ocid=spartanntp

Wrestler cuts random, impromptu promo about how badass he is, gets taken down hard by a gal in a suit.

I was just watching video of the whole thing. The guy is such a tool bag

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2414 on: November 21, 2018, 11:27:15 PM »
I think it's probably for the best if the wrestling world (and also the rest of the world) just pretends Enzo Amore doesn't exist. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa