Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 206325 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1610 on: September 12, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »
Man I love it when all the matches turn out like I hoped.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1611 on: September 12, 2016, 09:38:42 AM »
I have to see, the Ziggler vs Miz match was really enjoyable as well. Miz has really elevated his game lately.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1612 on: September 12, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »
I only watched the title match this PPV, really good match as expected. The crowd was very much on AJ's side, so I'm glad he was able to win.

If you get a chance, watch Miz VS. Ziggler.  That might honestly have been match of the night.

The women's match was pretty entertaining too, although I got very tired of the formula.  People kept getting thrown out of the ring until there were only two wrestlers in it, so it never really felt like a six person match.  That kind of thing works okay in a ladder match, because when people get thrown out of the ring, it's usually in a ridiculous way, so it makes sense for them to need a little time to recover.  But it feels kind of silly in a straight wrestling match.  Still fun though!
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1613 on: September 12, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »
I have to see, the Ziggler vs Miz match was really enjoyable as well. Miz has really elevated his game lately.

I was thinking the same thing while watching Miz-Ziggler last night.  Miz has turned it up a notch on the mic and in the ring.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: September 13, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
It's like
Across the board
WWE "creative"
Said F it
Give 'em everything they want.
Right away.
No build needed.
No payoffs needed.
Have fun with that.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1615 on: September 14, 2016, 07:47:12 AM »
Alexa Bliss keeping her quasi Harley Quinn cosplay going last night on Smackdown = :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1616 on: September 15, 2016, 06:15:22 AM »
The main event at No Mercy is money. The creative team is doing such a good job at building excitement for Smackdown. Raw overall has the better superstars and matches but the storylines for the blue brand are far more intriguing. AJ Styles vs Dean Ambrose vs John Cena should be a phenomenal (pun intended) match and the intensity that the three men showed on Tuesday night will only help make it even better.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1617 on: September 15, 2016, 07:30:01 AM »
That should be a great triple threat for sure!

And a fantastic ending to the CWC last night. What an enjoyable tournament; amazing match after amazing match

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1618 on: September 21, 2016, 06:11:06 AM »
So within one month, John Cena lost clean to AJ Styles and Dean Ambrose (my two favorite current superstars). Wrestling has been very kind to me lately.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1619 on: September 21, 2016, 08:08:37 AM »
So within one month, John Cena lost clean to AJ Styles and Dean Ambrose (my two favorite current superstars). Wrestling has been very kind to me lately.

Sounds like I missed out on an interesting Smackdown.

Super excited that the cruiserweight division is up and running on Raw. Can't wait for Cedric Alexander to become everyone's favorite wrestler.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1620 on: September 22, 2016, 04:18:14 AM »
Cena looked so bored in that match. He was definitely going through the motions. Maybe he wasn't happy with the outcome, but he still has to act like he cares, and like he's fighting for the win.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1621 on: October 10, 2016, 06:23:59 AM »
What an odd decision to put the title match first, and then not even put the Ziggler retirement match on last. Who wants to see Orton / Wyatt as a main event? Yuck.

I only watched the two big title matches, and skimmed to the end of the Wyatt match hoping to see the return of Harper (and was not disappointed), but those two matches didn't disappoint. That triple threat had a lot of amazing spots, even though some were reused from the Cena/Styles match (I rewatched it only a couple of days ago, so I noticed). They were great spots though, so I don't mind seeing them again. I liked the ending too. For as long as Cena keeps losing, they can stretch out that Cena/Styles feud until WM and have Cena go for that 16th title win.
I'm still not really a Miz fan, but he's done a great job with this feud, and has gotten people to care about Ziggler again. That match had a good story to it, and I really thought this might have been it for Ziggler. Hopefully they can do something with him now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1622 on: October 10, 2016, 04:43:51 PM »
What an odd decision to put the title match first, and then not even put the Ziggler retirement match on last. Who wants to see Orton / Wyatt as a main event? Yuck.

I only watched the two big title matches, and skimmed to the end of the Wyatt match hoping to see the return of Harper (and was not disappointed), but those two matches didn't disappoint. That triple threat had a lot of amazing spots, even though some were reused from the Cena/Styles match (I rewatched it only a couple of days ago, so I noticed). They were great spots though, so I don't mind seeing them again. I liked the ending too. For as long as Cena keeps losing, they can stretch out that Cena/Styles feud until WM and have Cena go for that 16th title win.
I'm still not really a Miz fan, but he's done a great job with this feud, and has gotten people to care about Ziggler again. That match had a good story to it, and I really thought this might have been it for Ziggler. Hopefully they can do something with him now.

They put the title match first because of the debate and Sunday Night Football. I do agree with you on the fact that Ziggler-Miz should have been last in this case.

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: October 10, 2016, 05:08:28 PM »
I really enjoyed the Ziggler-Miz match. Off the top of my head I can't think of a match involving either of them that I've enjoyed more. Great performance!

Triple threat was awesome as well

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1624 on: October 10, 2016, 09:57:37 PM »

They put the title match first because of the debate and Sunday Night Football. I do agree with you on the fact that Ziggler-Miz should have been last in this case.

Ah ok. I think they should focus on putting on the best show they can instead of worrying about what other networks are doing that night, or even better, not oversaturate us with 2 PPVs every month. :lol But yeah, the Ziggler/Miz match should have been last in that case. Maybe they didn't have faith in it closing the show, but the crowd was really behind that match.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1625 on: October 11, 2016, 02:37:27 AM »
Once again Cena looked bored out of his mind. I can't be the only one who sees it.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1626 on: October 12, 2016, 08:55:42 AM »
Did not mind having the triple threat (which was really good) kick off the show, but they definitely should have had Ziggler-Miz close if that was going to be the case. Really hoping they A) elevate Miz to the main event where he belongs, because he's been fire for the last month or two, and B) give Ziggler a good, long reign with the IC title and not have this be another squandered opportunity like when he won that SS match a couple years ago.

On the Raw side of things, team Chris and Kevin (or Kevin and Chris) for life.
Photobucket sucks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1627 on: October 12, 2016, 12:02:34 PM »
WTF is up with Goldberg coming back?  Is there a big demand for that?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: October 12, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
I have literally zero interest in seeing an old and out of practice Goldberg waste a match with Lesnar in a redo of one of the worst matches in all of Wrestlemania history. WWE needs to just stop with pulling out old wrestlers.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1629 on: October 12, 2016, 12:25:59 PM »
For better or worse, it'll get eyeballs on the product I guess.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1630 on: October 15, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »
Billy Corgan is already suing TNA

https://nypost.com/2016/10/14/billy-corgan-sues-tna-wrestling-in-showdown-for-control/

If it leads to a better product, I am down with it. If that's even possible with TNA at this point.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1631 on: October 16, 2016, 07:35:26 AM »
I have literally zero interest in seeing an old and out of practice Goldberg waste a match with Lesnar in a redo of one of the worst matches in all of Wrestlemania history. WWE needs to just stop with pulling out old wrestlers.

To be fair, Goldberg has said that he wants a redo so they can do it better. I'm not saying it will be Match of the Year, but without the bullshit backstage politics and with them not leaving the company therefore having the fans behind it instead of them completely turning against the two wrestlers, Goldberg vs. Lesnar II could actually turn into an entertaining bout. Or the two of them could shit the bed again and we could have a repeat of Wrestlemania XX. Either way, I'm interested in seeing what happens.

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: October 16, 2016, 07:42:55 AM »

To be fair, Goldberg has said that he wants a redo so they can do it better. I'm not saying it will be Match of the Year, but without the bullshit backstage politics and with them not leaving the company therefore having the fans behind it instead of them completely turning against the two wrestlers, Goldberg vs. Lesnar II could actually turn into an entertaining bout. Or the two of them could shit the bed again and we could have a repeat of Wrestlemania XX. Either way, I'm interested in seeing what happens.

My big problem with it is that I don't accept the premise of a 50 year old Goldberg putting on a competitive match against the currently strong Lesnar. Lesnar has destroyed everyone since defeating Undertaker at WM, and I don't see Goldberg coming out of retirement to get squashed. And Lesnar's move set is limited these days, and his great matches since returning have all been with skilled veterans who can work to that. I don't see Goldberg's very limited power move set working any better with Lesnar now than it did at WM20. The only scenario that works for me is Lesnar dominating the shit out of Goldberg for some period of time and winning, which I don't see happening. Lesnar has been wasted this year in totally phoned in matches, and I can't imagine this will be any different.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1633 on: October 16, 2016, 07:43:37 AM »
I think it's more likely that Goldberg wants a big payday.  Let's face it, he was never that good of a worker, so expecting him to come back after years of not wrestling and give an entertaining match is a bit...unrealistic.  Lesnar isn't exactly the kind of wrestler who can carry anyone to a good match.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1634 on: October 18, 2016, 04:12:15 AM »
Goldberg looked pretty old. I don't feel very enthusiastic about this return. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1635 on: October 18, 2016, 09:15:52 AM »
Goldberg looked pretty old. I don't feel very enthusiastic about this return.

He looked like he was genuinely enjoying himself. I don't think he expected the tremendous reaction that he got and it looked like he was fighting back tears at one point. I have no idea if the match will be any good, but it's cool to see Goldberg back and watching him have the time of his life out there just makes me smile.

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: October 18, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »
I've met Goldberg before and he was truly a nice guy.  When I met him, there was also a special needs girl that wanted to meet him and he went out of his way to spend an hour with her.  He also grabbed her mailing address and promised to send out a bunch of stuff to her.  She was overjoyed.

He looked like he was having a great time last night.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1637 on: October 19, 2016, 11:49:49 PM »
I seriously doubt they are gonna put a retired WCW guy over Brock. And I also doubt Goldberg would sign on just to get jobbed out.

Expect a schmoz involving Shane or Orton. More likely its with Shane...

I really hope it's not Shane.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1638 on: October 20, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »
Anyone else think Brian Kendrick looks a lot like James Labrie? Even kind of has the pirate thing going on...
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: October 20, 2016, 09:37:21 AM »
Anyone else think Brian Kendrick looks a lot like James Labrie? Even kind of has the pirate thing going on...

yes, good call on that

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1640 on: October 21, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »

I said that the second I saw him.

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: October 31, 2016, 05:54:03 AM »
Hell in a Cell was a solid PPV. Didn't even skip any matches, which is rare for me.

The opening cell match stunk, but I expected as much from Reigns. Very by the numbers modern cell match, and way too long. I'm glad it didn't get a later slot.

The Bayley vs whatsherface wasn't too exciting, but I'm glad Bayley got the win. As it should be.

The Owens vs Rollins cell match was great. That spot with the two tables was pretty awesome, and the shenanigans with Jericho were fun.

And Sasha vs Charlotte justified closing the show. Lots of big spots, which had me constantly worrying about Sasha. From the start with the fighting outside the ring and the powerbomb through the table, you knew it was going to be a special match. The only disappointment was the two table spots, especially the second one leading to the pin. That ending was a slight letdown given the strength of the rest of the match, but overall they definitely made that match count.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:00:10 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: October 31, 2016, 02:57:40 PM »
I would say it was a very solid show as well.  The women showed that they deserve the main event slot no question.

The one thing I will say is that even though Chris Jericho is a 26 year veteran, I am enjoying his character and work right now more than any other time in his career. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: October 31, 2016, 10:05:28 PM »
Chris Jericho is on fire right now. He's gotten that list more over than most of the roster. :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1644 on: November 09, 2016, 03:02:51 AM »
Trump has been involved with WWE in various ways for years. I am curious to see if an active president shows up on a Wrestlemania card  :lol