Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 205175 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1575 on: August 29, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »
I can't wait to see how fantastically douchey his promos are now that he's champion.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1576 on: August 29, 2016, 09:48:42 PM »
:lol He better bring all the douche. He's such a great heel on the mic, and now he has the prize to back it up.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1577 on: August 29, 2016, 09:49:36 PM »
I actually turned it on in time to see most of the match.  I had no idea who the first guy was eliminated.  :lol :lol

Wasn't surprised Owens won, though.  Reigns is probably still being punished a bit for the drug test thing, and it's hard to put the belt on a guy as unsafe as Rollins (at least for now). 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1578 on: August 30, 2016, 05:15:50 AM »
Watched for the first time in awhile last night. Was pulling for Roman but oh well. Kind of amusing to see Triple H show up.

The guy who had the title but dislocated his shoulder - this is where I get confused? Was that all scripted, or did he really pop his shoulder back in during the match?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1579 on: August 30, 2016, 06:08:24 AM »
So, Kevin Owens is now your new Universal champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiUVQ-pla24

When Triple H turned on Rollins, I marked the fuck out. I couldn't believe that Owens was finally getting a world title. I can't wait to hear his promos now that he's the champ.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1580 on: August 30, 2016, 07:17:40 AM »
Watched for the first time in awhile last night. Was pulling for Roman but oh well. Kind of amusing to see Triple H show up.

The guy who had the title but dislocated his shoulder - this is where I get confused? Was that all scripted, or did he really pop his shoulder back in during the match?

My understanding is that none of that was planned, so his should really got dislocated and then he popped it back into place and finished the match. Unfortunately there was just a bunch of additional damage that required surgery.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: August 30, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
Very good main event and it will be interesting to see how things go with Owens.  He's been impressive and I expect good things from him.

As far as Raw goes, I'm starting to feel like groundhog day each week.

I understand the Braun Strowman and Nia Jax squash matches are used to build them up, but I think we can start moving on from this a bit.

The Cesaro-Sheamus feud seems to be dragging.  And with a best of seven series going on, this will likely go on for awhile longer.

I really don't ever want to see a Darren Young- Titus match again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1582 on: August 31, 2016, 07:36:38 AM »
Was Lesnar destroying Orton legit or a work? 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1583 on: August 31, 2016, 07:37:55 AM »
Was Lesnar destroying Orton legit or a work? 

I wasn't sure at first, but the sense I'm getting is that it's a work. Orton's got balls to agree to a finish that's basically letting Lesnar elbow him into oblivion.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1584 on: August 31, 2016, 07:38:45 AM »
Yeah, that was pretty brutal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1585 on: August 31, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »
Honestly I think the thing that has me convinced it's a work is that there was no backstage altercation between the two afterwards. With Orton's temper there definitely would have been an incident in the locker room if Lesnar had done that without it being part of the plan.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1586 on: August 31, 2016, 09:24:04 AM »
Honestly I think the thing that has me convinced it's a work is that there was no backstage altercation between the two afterwards. With Orton's temper there definitely would have been an incident in the locker room if Lesnar had done that without it being part of the plan.
Didn't look to me like he would have been able to have an altercation.  Not to mention that if they got into it legit backstage, Lesnar would kill him.  Orton has to know that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1587 on: August 31, 2016, 11:06:36 AM »
It was a work, but it sounds like Lesnar busted him open more than he was supposed to.  Must've been the 'roids.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1588 on: August 31, 2016, 12:16:16 PM »
Yeah, I guess so.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1589 on: September 06, 2016, 03:43:27 PM »

On the Seth Rollins point, Balor was at fault for his injury on Sunday. He turned to break his fall with his arm which you're not suppose to do with that move.

Perhaps, but people keep getting hurt while in the ring with Rollins, and he is the one constant.  He is clearly unsafe in the ring.

Two of my favorite wrestlers got hurt while wrestling him. Sting, as well as Balor, and Balor's injury really sucks since he was just starting to get some really solid momentum on the main roster. I don't know if Rollins is dangerous, but I definitely don't like seeing these injuries.

Also, I can't wait to see nakamura come up

and also, as a life long Smashing pumpkins fan, it is crazy weird seeing corgan on TNA. First time I tuned into that show in years

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1590 on: September 08, 2016, 07:26:34 AM »
Lucha Underground season 3 start was pretty good. Looks like there's gonna be some solid feuds this year.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: September 10, 2016, 11:18:49 PM »
Alberto Del Rio: Out
Paige: Out
CM Punk: Tapped out
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1592 on: September 11, 2016, 02:09:34 AM »
I wasn't expecting Punk to win, but I was at least hoping he managed to put on a more impressive performance. Hopefully he does better next time.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1593 on: September 11, 2016, 03:17:32 AM »
After the amount of time he put into preparing for this, I was expecting to see a more impressive performance as well.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1594 on: September 11, 2016, 05:48:18 AM »
Been watching all of Asuka's matches on NXT, and there is just something about her she is absolutely amazing :hefdaddy

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: September 11, 2016, 06:53:05 AM »
I'll give Punk credit for stepping into the cage. But like others above mentioned, I was hoping for a better result

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1596 on: September 11, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »
With any luck, this will be result in Punk making his way back to the WWE, which would get me to watch regularly again.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1597 on: September 11, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »
With any luck, this will be result in Punk making his way back to the WWE, which would get me to watch regularly again.

With the current lawsuit between the two and the bad blood, I don't expect we'll ever see Punk back in WWE, at least not any time soon. They could do with the extra talent since the brand split, and I'd love to see him against a lot of the wrestlers who have appeared since his departure, but I think both sides are too proud to get back on good terms.
From Punk's post match interview, he seems determined to prove himself despite his loss, and I hope he can have some success at something he's put a lot of time and work into, as little interest as I have in it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1598 on: September 11, 2016, 07:26:24 AM »
The lawsuit is the hair in the soup for sure, but others have burned bridges far worse than Punk did and were brought back eventually.  If there is one thing you can say about Vince McMahon, it's that he will bring someone back no matter what if he thinks it will make him money.  And now that Punk is more of a name (even though he got pummeled, competing in UFC makes him more known and increases his brand), he can leverage that into them guaranteeing him the main event at Wrestlemania in his contract.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1599 on: September 11, 2016, 07:31:29 AM »
Even though the whole UFC thing has given a lot more exposure to Punk, I'm not sure this loss gives him more leverage. Unless he proves it's a viable career path for a little while like Lesnar did, I think WWE holds most of the cards here. Either way, we'll see more fights from CM Punk before anything would/could happen on that front, so hopefully he can gain some more cred. I'd love to see him have another WWE run. :tup

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1600 on: September 11, 2016, 10:24:58 AM »
Personally I would have liked to have seen Punk do better, just as a fan, but that fight went about as expected. I don't doubt Punk busted his ass training twice a day and whatnot but Mickey Gall is a guy who's fought professionally before, and is a brown belt in jiu jitsu. I don't think Punk ever had much of a chance. Hopefully he keeps training and looks better next time around.

As much as I'd like to see him back in the WWE, I'd be asbolutely shocked if it did. While other guys have had bad blood and then come back into the fold, I just don't see that happening here. The impression I've gotten is that Triple H has been instrumental in mending fences and brokering truces between the other guys and Vince, but I'm sure Punk has plenty of vitriol for Hunter as well so I don't think that's happening. Punk's also just about as proud/stubborn as they come. I think he's more likely to pop back up in ROH or even have a couple matches in New Japan if he wants to get back in the ring and wrestle.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1601 on: September 11, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »
Soooooo, AJ Styles is the WWE Champion now.  What a journey for him.  11 years ago, on this day, he and Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels had arguably the greatest match in TNA history.  Then he won the top title in TNA, then he was underutilized, and then he quit TNA since they want him to take a paycut.  He, then, had a career resurgence in NJPW having top-caliber matches with their top talent and won their big championship and was a proven draw for them.

Now, not even eight months into being in the WWE, he's the WWE champion.  Wow.  What a year for wrestling.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1602 on: September 11, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »
Punk sounded genuinely content after his bout. Obviously displeased with the result and knows he could have, or should have, done better, especially for those who supported him on this journey, but not displeased with his effort or facing the challenge. Good of him to take some time to himself now, before the next challenge presents itself.

Which wrestlers, if any, would do well in UFC? Taker is a huge fan and has said if UFC was around when he was growing up, he would have been interested in giving it a shot.

Soooooo, AJ Styles is the WWE Champion now. 

I never know how to address these situations. He is the WWE World Champion, but not the WWE Universal Champion. So... technically not champion outside of planet Earth I guess. But still WWE Champion. Of Smackdown. It's like when they used to have split "National Champions" in college football.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1603 on: September 11, 2016, 10:37:19 PM »
Which wrestlers, if any, would do well in UFC? Taker is a huge fan and has said if UFC was around when he was growing up, he would have been interested in giving it a shot.

I think Kurt Angle, if he was younger, more saner, does not have a history of drugs problems and DUIs, he could have done well.  Also, back when he was in his 20s, Shinsuke Nakamura had a good (yet short) record in MMA.  That's why NJPW gave him a big push early on.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: September 11, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »
Kurt Angles name always comes up when the discussion of pro wrestlers crossing into MMA.  Other wrestlers mention his name first too

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1605 on: September 11, 2016, 11:21:09 PM »
Not gonna lie, I thought Styles might have been legitimately hurt when Ambrose catapulted him into the post.  That looked rough to me. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: September 12, 2016, 12:16:46 AM »
How damn good is their lineup of main champions right now? AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, Becky Lynch, Charlotte Flair, Nakamura, and Asuka. There's not one of those I'd change at all. Just perfect.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1607 on: September 12, 2016, 04:19:59 AM »

He did it. He finally did it. I have been waiting 10 years for this moment. AJ Styles was the first wrestler outside of WWE who I fell in love with back in 2006. I always knew that he could be successful in the big leagues if he was just given an opportunity but as time went on it seemed less and less likely. I can't explain how happy I am for him. Congratulations AJ Styles. You definitely deserve it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: September 12, 2016, 06:24:42 AM »
I only watched the title match this PPV, really good match as expected. The crowd was very much on AJ's side, so I'm glad he was able to win.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1609 on: September 12, 2016, 07:58:53 AM »
Hopefully they give him a good long title reign. Wouldn't mind seeing him carry it into Mania, him defending against a returning John Cena who is gunning to tie Flair's title record = $$$
Photobucket sucks.