Author Topic: Expiration Dates on Canned Food, and Other Stuff  (Read 833 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Expiration Dates on Canned Food, and Other Stuff
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »
As a kid growing up generally there were no expiration dates on canned food like soup or veggies. Now pretty much all canned food has an expiration date.

I noticed during cleaning out my food pantry just how much stuff had expired. Kind of sucks to throw stuff out and it makes me rethink the way we stock up in the future.

I guess my thought is this. Are these expiration labels legit, and should have been on stuff all along? Or is it a brilliant way to get a consumer to throw stuff that’s probably still good out and buy more.

We always stock up on so much and yesterday we tossed a lot of money away.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:32:50 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Re: Expiration dates on canned food, and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
I use my own judgement with expiration dates.  I would ignore them on canned goods, and I regularly go past the expiration date on milk by as much as 5 days, sometimes more depending on smell.  For meats I try to eat them with a few days of buying, or freezing them when I get home.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Expiration Dates on Canned Food, and Other Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:33:56 AM »
The wording almost all of them use is "best before", which yeah, just means they want you throw out stuff earlier.

You know, there should be a website telling you how much longer you can reasonably safely eat an item past its expiration date.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:42:07 AM »
Depends on what sort of food it is. If it's meat or dairy, I don't fuck around with expiration dates (of course I'm in a significantly different situation than most). Canned stuff tends to be more about the condition of the can. Swollen, dented, rusted: dumpster time. Frozen stuff is the same way. Does it smell like it's been frozen since the ice age?  I served a friend up a can of Coke that'd been in my fridge for 5 years (with informed consent, of course) and she didn't have a problem with it; wasn't even flat.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »
Pretty sure it's best to use one's own judgement. It depends on the food itself, if the date on the expiration is actually dated correctly and/or was applied at the time when the food was still fresh (this happened a shitload when I worked at Randall's...always re-dating foods...and being told by management that it's fine), etc. But I try to stick to the date, definitely; and almost always assume it'll be bad before then if it's with more bacteria-prone products like meat.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:53:03 AM »
since he's talking about pantry item's I am assuming your talking canned and dry goods

Someone earlier mentioned a best by date....I for one have used canned goods (veggies/sauces/gravy) way past the date on the can with no side effects.   If I open the can and it gives off an odor that doesnt smell right than out it goes, otherwise I have used it.

Dry goods it all depends...sealed in air-tight pouch..go ahead...boxed air tight..i say go ahead..boxed whereas air could get in...i say toss it

Also items that have been openned previously  ( flour/pancake mix etc..) I usually toss it past the date
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:07:13 AM »
I think at least some of these dates are intended to produce similar results to "Lather, rinse, repeat"  :justjen

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
I’m really predominately talking about canned food as once upon a time they had no dates. With milk, sometimes you get 1 or 2 days past the date. With meat I wouldn’t go past the date. Not even a day. It’s a mental thing as well. I would not enjoy eating expired meat even if it was only a day past the date.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »
Canned foods have "best by" dates and sometimes "closed or coded" dates.
A "Best if Used By (or Before)" date is recommended for best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.
"Closed or coded dates" are packing numbers for use by the manufacturer.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/food-labeling/food-product-dating/food-product-dating
Listen! Do you smell something?