Author Topic: Annoying Movie Cliches.  (Read 18703 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Annoying Movie Cliches.
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »
Another one that occurred to me:

When a trained professional does something completely illogical in a dangerous situation.

For example, the movie Face/Off.  At the beginning, an undercover FBI agent is on the plane with Caster and Pollux, posing as a stewardess.  When shit hits the fan and Castor sees that Archer and his team have flooded the runway to try and catch them, he runs to the front of the plane next to the pilot to see them.  At this point, the undercover agent whips out her gun, points it at Castor, and yells, "FBI!"  Meanwhile, Pollux, who is completely in her blind spot, naturally then clocks her from behind with the briefcase, subdues her, and then moments later, Castor kills her.  I am always like, uh, I am pretty sure a trained undercover agent who was considered good enough to be put on a plane with a dangerous, highly-known criminal like Castor would know better than to pull a gun on him, while leaving herself open to a blindside by the other dangerous criminal on board.

Good point, but bad example.  Everything about that movie required suspension of belief at an absurd level.  It's over-the-top ridiculousness is one of the primary reasons that movie works.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2014, 01:13:15 PM »
True.  Those kind of action movies always those kind of "no one would act like that" moments, but they are still occasionally worthy of a :facepalm:, when they are glaringly bad as the one I listed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2014, 01:34:51 PM »
Face/Off is gloriously stupid but it works because it's kinda on purpose.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2014, 01:41:40 PM »
I could eat a peach for hours

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2014, 01:51:35 PM »
Along the lines of what Kev said, stupid LEOs are everywhere in movies. Whether or not they are everywhere in reality is a different issue. But in movies, LEOs always seem like the most ineffective, bumbling people, who do nothing more than be a mild nuisance for those they are trying to apprehend.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »
What is an LEO?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »
What is an LEO?  ???

Leprechauns Engaging Orally. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »
Pink hearts and yellow moons, indeed!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »
Law Enforcement Officer. Thought that was a commonly used acronym. My bad.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
What is an LEO?  ???

Someone who never wins an Academy Award ®

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
He's ridiculous in Gilbert Grape. He's even better than Johnny Depp. And has made far better films in his career too.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »
Another one:

-Otherwise clean films that feel the need to drop one or two f-bombs in it, just for shock value.  I mean, what's the point?  The movie Big is a good example.  That is a fun movie, not much language at all, and one kids could totally enjoy, but then they had to throw one f-bomb in near the end.  And for what?  It's stupid. 

Don't get me wrong, I still love that film, but throwing that one f-bomb in was so pointless and stupid.

Friend and I recently went to see the Robocop remake and I wasn't sure why they put Samuel L Jackson in the movie until later on in the movie when he got mad and swore. It was like being around a bunch of 5 year olds at that point when the theater busted out laughing just because this guy swore. Someone actually clapped. It was as if it was the highlight of the movie.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
He's ridiculous in Gilbert Grape. He's even better than Johnny Depp. And has made far better films in his career too.

He'll get one.  It's inevitable. 

Don't forget how awesome he was in Basketball Diaries, too. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2014, 05:13:33 PM »
Another one:

-Otherwise clean films that feel the need to drop one or two f-bombs in it, just for shock value.  I mean, what's the point?  The movie Big is a good example.  That is a fun movie, not much language at all, and one kids could totally enjoy, but then they had to throw one f-bomb in near the end.  And for what?  It's stupid. 

Don't get me wrong, I still love that film, but throwing that one f-bomb in was so pointless and stupid.

Friend and I recently went to see the Robocop remake and I wasn't sure why they put Samuel L Jackson in the movie until later on in the movie when he got mad and swore. It was like being around a bunch of 5 year olds at that point when the theater busted out laughing just because this guy swore. Someone actually clapped. It was as if it was the highlight of the movie.

For me it was the fact that he's a news anchor who's so obviously pro-OCP that when an employee blows the whistle on immoral practice within the company that gets the bill which prevents robotic law enforcement droids on the street upheld  - he loses his shit live on TV.

Obviously I have no idea because i've never seen FOX News - but he's a parody of Rush Limbaugh.

But I get his character. OCP probably pay his wage so of course he's going to be passionate about robots.

:dunno: I thought it was a funny scene because a news anchor loses his shit on air - not primarily because he swore.

Anyway - it was bleeped out - and that's always funnier than actually hearing it.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »
When you explain it that way, it does fit the scene and reflecting I chuckled at that scene, too. Just didn't laugh my ass off solely because Sam dropped the F bomb. I'm curious if it did well enough to make a sequel.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2014, 06:40:50 PM »
I want a sequel too and so far it's made just under $150m on a $100m budget and it's only been out 2 weeks.

I expect they'll keep it in cinemas for as long as they can.

Plus Home cinema sales go into account too.

I only want a sequel if Padilha directs because he did a great job in my opinion.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »
I just can't watch movies or shows where they swear constantly. It just comes across as really forced and lame to me.
Many classics (Scorsese's crime dramas, Tarantino's flicks, Scarface, The Big Lebowski, American History X, A Bronx Tale, Good Will Hunting, Boogie Nights) are pretty high on the all-time "fuck" list, but I assume you weren't talking about those. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_that_most_frequently_use_the_word_%22fuck%22

You can assume that if you want to, but you know what happens when you assume. :P There's only one movie on that list I like at all of the ones I've seen. Those kinds of movies just don't appeal to me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:26:05 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2014, 04:54:01 AM »
WTF Blob. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2014, 05:51:46 AM »
I just can't watch movies or shows where they swear constantly. It just comes across as really forced and lame to me.
Many classics (Scorsese's crime dramas, Tarantino's flicks, Scarface, The Big Lebowski, American History X, A Bronx Tale, Good Will Hunting, Boogie Nights) are pretty high on the all-time "fuck" list, but I assume you weren't talking about those. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_that_most_frequently_use_the_word_%22fuck%22

You can assume that if you want to, but you know what happens when you assume. :P There's only one movie on that list I like at all of the ones I've seen. Those kinds of movies just don't appeal to me.
"Those kinds"? What's the common denominator these movies have? 'Cause they're a pretty versatile bunch. Don't tell me you dismiss them just because of the foul language. :P Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2014, 06:12:10 AM »

"Those kinds"? What's the common denominator these movies have? 'Cause they're a pretty versatile bunch. Don't tell me you dismiss them just because of the foul language. :P Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I didn't mean "those kinds of movies" as one big lumped together group, I meant the major genres of movies covered there, where excessive language is a feature. I'm not into any kind of crime movie, or gritty serious dramas, or those kinds of comedies. None of that appeals to me one bit. Different strokes, that's all!
As I said, I don't have a problem with language in principle, so some swearing doesn't bother me one bit, I just find that it always feels really contrived to me when they do it that much. The language is not the primary reason I'm not into those movies, but it feels forced to try and be gritty and edgy, which are attributes I don't enjoy in movies. Related to the root cause, but not directly the reason itself, if that makes sense.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2014, 06:23:10 AM »
What things in movies drive you up the wall every time they happen ?

For a kick off -

When someone is driving and listening to music and their favourite song comes on and they go f---ing mental. Air guitar - air drums singing really loud - headbanging - miming the words...

People don't do that !! It's just a song ! Calm down ! :lol
Stoned drivers do.

So...Anyone who rocks out while listening to music in a car is a stoned? A bit harsh considering I know many people who do it and don't smoke pot.
OK ENOUGH! I am fucking sick of being pounced on for just saying something tongue and cheek! I was kidding! What the fuck??? This is what Kev did to me yesterday in the tipping thread. Its like I was on trail! I'm sick of that kind of bullshit.
Its like I have a stigma that won't go away because of some perception of what SOME people think I am and all about. You don't know a damn thing about me! If someone else made the same comment its very likely it was have been seen in a different manor.
If I'm overreacting oh well, but I'm tired of feeling attacked.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2014, 06:50:46 AM »
Okay, someone rub Tick's belly until he calms down.    ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2014, 06:55:35 AM »
That's your dirty work no thank you.  That would lead to something I couldn't take back.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2014, 07:01:56 AM »
That's your dirty work no thank you.  That would lead to something I couldn't take back.

So you admit then that you would be strangely aroused.   ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2014, 07:04:04 AM »
No but he would.  My hands are amazing.  Ask myself.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »
No but he would.  My hands are amazing.  Ask myself.

*waits for a belly rub*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2014, 07:10:18 AM »
This ho is retired in front of his own computer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2014, 07:57:38 AM »

For a kick off -

When someone is driving and listening to music and their favourite song comes on and they go f---ing mental. Air guitar - air drums singing really loud - headbanging - miming the words...

People absolutely do that.  I do it most days.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2014, 08:32:59 AM »
Maybe people in the UK don't do it :p

p.s. I always sing along to songs and bang my desk in time to the drums - but i'm talking about when people go absolutely ballistic when a song comes on.

Like having a conniption fit.

Like what Jack Black does every time he does anything.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2014, 08:36:07 AM »
Yeah, that's what I do  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2014, 08:37:31 AM »

For a kick off -

Stoned drivers do.

So...Anyone who rocks out while listening to music in a car is a stoned? A bit harsh considering I know many people who do it and don't smoke pot.
OK ENOUGH! I am fucking sick of being pounced on for just saying something tongue and cheek! I was kidding! What the fuck??? This is what Kev did to me yesterday in the tipping thread. Its like I was on trail! I'm sick of that kind of bullshit.
Its like I have a stigma that won't go away because of some perception of what SOME people think I am and all about. You don't know a damn thing about me! If someone else made the same comment its very likely it was have been seen in a different manor.

You know, if I reacted this way, people would just continue believing the misconception that I'm a psychopath.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2014, 09:40:51 AM »

For a kick off -

Stoned drivers do.

Could've just used sarcastic green or :p

- where they go on a long trip, somehow they acquired a lot of cash tp stay that long.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »

For a kick off -

People absolutely do that.  I do it most days.

I saw a guy doing 'air DJ' in his car yesterday. Yes, he was pretending to scratch with an imaginary turntable...and he was really into it!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2014, 10:15:14 AM »
I air-drum in my office quite a bit.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."